Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

hayden. posted:

I downloaded this again today, not sure why. I played at launch and got to level 7. Now I'm in the middle of nowhere doing some dumb quests. I really just want to go get on a boat and attack people. Do I need to be level 50 to do that? Does it take long to get there? It seems like the OP says most of the goon guilds are dead, will I have goons to play with?

find a guild that focuses on naval poo poo and you'll be set until you have something less ghetto than a rowboat

alternatively, get a Carrot Dash and rule the seas with your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I would say alternatively play something else, but there aren't a lot of bad games to play floating around, and sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch. Just don't spend money on it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I never got to playing ArcheAge at launch, but now I want to start. Which of the servers houses the largest, most active Goon group right now? Kyrios, Calleil, Ezi, and Ollo all have one guild listed in the OP. Of those, which are still going strong? I really just want to play the game with whatever amount of Goons still play, I don't care about the particulars unless the group is literally only 5 people who log in per day and all.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 19, 2015

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Apoplexy posted:

I never got to playing ArcheAge at launch, but now I want to start. Which of the servers houses the largest, most active Goon group right now? Kyrios, Calleil, Ezi, and Ollo all have one guild listed in the OP. Of those, which are still going strong? I really just want to play the game with whatever amount of Goons still play, I don't care about the particulars unless the group is literally only 5 people who log in per day and all.

lol, there are no goons

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I certainly hope there are at least SOME left.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Apoplexy posted:

There are goons that still play or have come back, but there are no specific goon guilds. The 1.7 patch was great and 2.0 looks even better.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I came back when they gave me a free dolphin for quitting, but then they gave all the shitbirds that stayed a free dolphin too so I quit again.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

I came back when they gave me a free dolphin for quitting, but then they gave all the shitbirds that stayed a free dolphin too so I quit again.

Thanks for the dolphin quitter

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I don't think I'd reinstall ArcheAge even if they promised naked women on webcam in an in-game window. The fact that you immediately lose the ability to pay taxes on your land when you stop your subscription is something that'll make me never return, no matter how many interesting things they add to the game.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ruffz posted:

I don't think I'd reinstall ArcheAge even if they promised naked women on webcam in an in-game window. The fact that you immediately lose the ability to pay taxes on your land when you stop your subscription is something that'll make me never return, no matter how many interesting things they add to the game.

Your constant whining makes the stupid design decisions of this game worth it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Alrighty. Well, Kyrios it is for me, since someone on Reddit said that it's well-populated and has an Oceanic presence of some size along with an emphasis on large naval battles and such, which is what I intend to at least attempt to focus on. I hope there's someone left in Disco Inferno, though, as I hate playing without a guild/goons.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ruffz posted:

Oh no a Patron perk gets taken away when you're too poor to pay for an MMO sub

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
housing shouldnt have been a patron perk tbf

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Eonwe posted:

housing shouldnt have been a patron perk tbf

:agreed: Too much of this game is tied to subbing, either sub or don't play at all. And if you're gonna pay a sub for an MMO, ff14 is better.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Everything should be tied to a sub. If you aren't a sub then the only thing you should be able to do ingame is to spin around constantly while shooting rainbows and puppies out of your rear end.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Basically if they had made housing reasonable to get for people not like me who didn't spam login and rush gildas, hadn't done quite as much RNG box poo poo, and just straight up hadn't mad bad decision after bad decision this could have been a perfectly serviceable game

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

jabro posted:

Everything should be tied to a sub. If you aren't a sub then the only thing you should be able to do ingame is to spin around constantly while shooting rainbows and puppies out of your rear end.

Unironically a better F2P experience than what it is now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eonwe posted:

Basically if they had made housing reasonable to get for people not like me who didn't spam login and rush gildas, hadn't done quite as much RNG box poo poo, and just straight up hadn't mad bad decision after bad decision this could have been a perfectly serviceable game

...and then the housing plot is lost to a hacker. I mean, this is the group of developers that saw people using hacked clients to detect the house disappearing and packet injection to send the "I claim this land" packet before a human is even physically capable of recognizing the housing is gone and responded to it by putting in a 5 second claiming cooldown to prevent people from spamming the claim button.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There were definitely some major issues with the game, yea

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Apoplexy posted:

I am never playing that vortex of poo poo ever again.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Why is this game still a thing. There seriously can't still be goons playing this, can there?

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/18/archeage-spawns-fresh-reddit-drama-over-pay-to-win/

There is no Pay-To-Win in ArcheAge. Any opinions to the contrary will be met with summary deletion and reeducation.

Sincerely, NSA-SURVEILLANCE.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Wonder Turbine posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/18/archeage-spawns-fresh-reddit-drama-over-pay-to-win/

There is no Pay-To-Win in ArcheAge. Any opinions to the contrary will be met with summary deletion and reeducation.

HAHAHAHA, wow, the legions of retarded apologist players pretending paying to skip tons of grind (ie, the main gameplay) of an mmo isn't pay to win weren't enough apparently

These games are so awful, and I am awful for having played it

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

This game is pay to win though.....

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

When there are items in the cash shop or lock boxes that reduce the chance of gear failing to upgrade or outright breaking when using an upgrade scroll, the game is Pay to Win.

Especially when gear really matters for PvP.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
ArcheAge is a fun game

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:eyepop:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Wonder Turbine posted:

lmfao. How is it not P2W when you can't own land unless you pay for a subscription? That makes it so people that cough up $15/mo have an immediate money making advantage. As F2P you have severely limited options for making cash. And before anyone bitches about me bitching about this game again, just know I'm trying to do my fellow goons a service by suggesting they avoid this dumpster fire of an MMO. I wish someone had tipped me off.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So it turns out that pretty much everyone on Ollo that my guild fought regularly got purged in this latest banwave.

I'd say it's vindication but the cheating was horribly blatant even last fall when I quit, so I don't really care at this point.

ruffz posted:

I wish someone had tipped me off.

:agreed:

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006

ruffz posted:

lmfao. How is it not P2W when you can't own land unless you pay for a subscription? That makes it so people that cough up $15/mo have an immediate money making advantage. As F2P you have severely limited options for making cash. And before anyone bitches about me bitching about this game again, just know I'm trying to do my fellow goons a service by suggesting they avoid this dumpster fire of an MMO. I wish someone had tipped me off.

You're bitching about the $15 sub when you can easily make enough gold to buy 2 APEX after a day of farming gold. The p2w in this game is not the sub, it's the people who literally spend thousands of dollars on either gold or APEX to sell and get insane gear.

The most recent exploit did generate some hilarious drama on Aranzeb and has been great though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

tatersyum posted:

You're bitching about the $15 sub when you can easily make enough gold to buy 2 APEX after a day of farming gold. The p2w in this game is not the sub, it's the people who literally spend thousands of dollars on either gold or APEX to sell and get insane gear.

The most recent exploit did generate some hilarious drama on Aranzeb and has been great though.

I still don't really classify it as pay to win, it's pay to not play the game, which is what I really don't get. This game is loving terrible unless you pay the dev for the privilege of not playing any of this poo poo terrible game except for one tiny section of it. If pvp is that important to you there are far better options, both in cost and actual fun you get out of it. This game is just poo poo terrible, pay to win is just a symptom of that, and no one should be playing it if only just to send a message that this sort of game won't succeed.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I still don't really classify it as pay to win, it's pay to not play the game, which is what I really don't get. This game is loving terrible unless you pay the dev for the privilege of not playing any of this poo poo terrible game except for one tiny section of it. If pvp is that important to you there are far better options, both in cost and actual fun you get out of it. This game is just poo poo terrible, pay to win is just a symptom of that, and no one should be playing it if only just to send a message that this sort of game won't succeed.

This is a bad opinion

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

tatersyum posted:

What was the exploit?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This game is just poo poo terrible

PCOS Bill posted:

This is a bad opinion

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Meskhenet posted:

This game is pay to win though.....

What I was saying is, they already had idiots defending their lovely pay to win product, but they had to go beyond that, I'm sure it won't bite them in the rear end

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dirk the Average posted:

What was the exploit?

Yeah, really. Don't be a cock tease, we're here to laugh at more programming incompetence. Besides putting the hit points and buffs verification on the client I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006

What the gently caress are you talking about?

The exploit basically allowed anyone to gain 20 honor every time they attacked an invincible character. It involved breaking a pirate character out of the holding cell area before they go to trial and they are immortal. It was found out that multiple western guilds were doing this hours before Forestcrow's siege of the main west guild's castle so they could get pvp gems in their gear. Lots of people were banned and there were drama afterwards.

Then right before the siege the west guild attempted to use an exploit to prevent the siege by disbanding the guild so the castle had no owner and attempt to reclaim a the castle at a new spot but completely failed. It resulted in FC winning the siege in 5 minutes with no defenders.

• Locked thread