Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Kiryen posted:

The toll on your body from years of patrolling is likely to be related to sitting in a car endlessly and eating McDonalds over and over because that's the only thing open at that hour.

What did night shift coppers do in the 50s when there was no mcdonalds? I guess I could pack a lunch but PBJ, ramen, and lunch meat gets just as old as McDonald's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What did night shift coppers do in the 50s when there was no mcdonalds? I guess I could pack a lunch but PBJ, ramen, and lunch meat gets just as old as McDonald's.

The bakery would open up at like 3am to start cranking out donuts for the breakfast rush, that's kinda where the whole cop/donut thing comes from. It was the only place open.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Is it becoming more difficult to receive compensation for work-related disability? I mean I obviously have no idea what kind of toll a decade or two of patrolling takes on your body or what sort of career(s) exists beyond that, so I appreciate the advice. I'm not a guy who's going to pick-up a Comp Sci or Accounting or Biology degree on a whim- especially not as a means to increase my earning potential for a job/career in those fields that I have no intention of ever pursuing.

I've been told in no uncertain terms that if I ever had a back injury to not even bother trying to get Work Comp. for it because I'll be laughed out of the office. Cost of doing business, they say. :suicide:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Thanks for all the feedback. My take away here is that a Criminal Justice BA on top of the Film BFA I'm already pursuing isn't going to make a difference in getting hired and, at most, will only slightly benefit me in the long run if I try to move up to an administrative position later on. Pursuing a grad degree- regardless of field- would also be slightly beneficial for the same reasons but might also make me a more attractive hire for federal agencies. And, of course, a degree in a technical field would be the best way to go for career advancement/earning potential in case of career change. I'm not going to pursue a technical degree but I'm now strongly considering the possibility of squeezing a tech school academy class out of my benefits while I wrap up the final year of my BFA.

New question:
I realize every department is different, but is there anything I should know about the application process? I have gaps in my employment history because I'm content to live off of the GI Bill while attending school. Is that likely to be a red flag? I had my license suspended when I was 17 for underage possession of alcohol and again at 20 for a DUI. I also had a THC possession charge expunged when I was 20.
I'd report all this stuff on the application, I'm just curious if stuff from over a decade ago is likely to present any major hurdles to getting hired.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
There is a good chance the DUI, especially with the other charges will make things difficult for you. It was 10 years ago though, you've grown up since then. You've still probably got a shot.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I've never known anyone with a DUI who was hired, but that's anecdotal only. Keep in mind you will be applying with people who have military, education, experience, and no criminal history at all. This isn't to dissuade you, but if you find yourself not making the cut after several tries, try applying to smaller, more rural, and worse paying LE departments where the competition won't be as thick. Getting your foot in the door will be the biggest hurdle but after a couple years on you can lateral somewhere else.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Larger federal agencies would definitely not have a problem with underage drinking and minor marijuana use and a DUI ten years ago when you weren't even 21 yet, as long as you make full disclosure. It will take forever to get hired though.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Kiryen posted:

Larger federal agencies would definitely not have a problem with underage drinking and minor marijuana use and a DUI ten years ago when you weren't even 21 yet, as long as you make full disclosure. It will take forever to get hired though.

Plus you get those sweet, sweet veterans preference points. My buddy at GW told me that one of the recruiters at a federal event told him that their last two classes through FLETC were 100% veterans (but that's second hand anecdotal and I have no idea for what agency so take that with a grain of salt).

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Thanks for all the feedback. My take away here is that a Criminal Justice BA on top of the Film BFA I'm already pursuing isn't going to make a difference in getting hired and, at most, will only slightly benefit me in the long run if I try to move up to an administrative position later on. Pursuing a grad degree- regardless of field- would also be slightly beneficial for the same reasons but might also make me a more attractive hire for federal agencies. And, of course, a degree in a technical field would be the best way to go for career advancement/earning potential in case of career change. I'm not going to pursue a technical degree but I'm now strongly considering the possibility of squeezing a tech school academy class out of my benefits while I wrap up the final year of my BFA.

New question:
I realize every department is different, but is there anything I should know about the application process? I have gaps in my employment history because I'm content to live off of the GI Bill while attending school. Is that likely to be a red flag? I had my license suspended when I was 17 for underage possession of alcohol and again at 20 for a DUI. I also had a THC possession charge expunged when I was 20.
I'd report all this stuff on the application, I'm just curious if stuff from over a decade ago is likely to present any major hurdles to getting hired.

For context: how long ago was the DUI? That and the bad driving record/suspension could be a tough hurdle to get over depending on how recent it is.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Whip Slagcheek posted:

For context: how long ago was the DUI? That and the bad driving record/suspension could be a tough hurdle to get over depending on how recent it is.

All at least 12 years ago. I mean, the military took me. Granted they weren't looking to say "no" in 2007.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

All at least 12 years ago. I mean, the military took me. Granted they weren't looking to say "no" in 2007.

That's a pretty decent span of time and the military + school should help to offset those issues. DUI is a red flag but I have coworkers that have gotten DUI's. Basically what I'm saying is: apply and see what happens. Expect agencies to say no, but some might take a shot.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Plus you get those sweet, sweet veterans preference points. My buddy at GW told me that one of the recruiters at a federal event told him that their last two classes through FLETC were 100% veterans (but that's second hand anecdotal and I have no idea for what agency so take that with a grain of salt).

I can confirm most of our hires regardless of series for entry level have vet points. So many 10 points too.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
goddamn veterns taking are jobs

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Think we should go to war again just so vets would stop taking my 1811 gigs.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Think we should go to war again just so vets would stop taking my 1811 gigs.

come fight me irl coppers, i'll be waiting in the woods with my red bandana and an m60 :madmax:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mike-o posted:

come fight me irl coppers, i'll be waiting in the woods with my red bandana and an m60 :madmax:

Cum at me

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
rip chocolate rambo

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Can't corner the Dorner :madmax:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Can't corner the Dorner :madmax:

Well actually..

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Well actually..

:fap:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Watching the "showdown" at the cabin ranks up there with when the story broke about the Bin Laden raid. :awesome:

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Watching the "showdown" at the cabin ranks up there with when the story broke about the Bin Laden raid. :awesome:
poo poo was hilarious when people thought he had escaped the cabin on horseback. Wish it were true.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

JSARSOM posted:

poo poo was hilarious when people thought he had escaped the cabin on horseback. Wish it were true.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Whip Slagcheek posted:

my 1811 gigs.

Stay far away my son

How quickly would i have to see HR if this found its way to my office......

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

AcidRonin posted:

Stay far away my son

How quickly would i have to see HR if this found its way to my office......

Let us know, pussy.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Let us know, pussy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

lol Dorner "I want to believe" has been my desktop background at work since the day his cabin burned down

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Let us know, pussy.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Let us know, pussy.

Of the two Nostalgia posters you're the best.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
2 hours. I have yet to be asked too *~go to an office~* if i end up in fox news for this one of you has to find me some swankey police job.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

AcidRonin posted:

2 hours. I have yet to be asked too *~go to an office~* if i end up in fox news for this one of you has to find me some swankey police job.

shine on you crazy diamond

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Rad Lieutenant posted:

lol Dorner "I want to believe" has been my desktop background at work since the day his cabin burned down

i always knew there were good reasons why youre my favorite

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Rad Lieutenant posted:

shine on you crazy diamond

Day 2. :getin:

It should be noted that other than some chuckles in the hallway the only comment was an IT contractor who asked "is that obama".

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Go big or go home. Merica.

Can't flim flam the Zim Zam.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Go big or go home. Merica.

Can't flim flam the Zim Zam.

You posted the wrong one, idiot. There's a better one with Darren Wilson also in it. Someone should add that guy that killed Garner too imo

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Question, for the cops in here. If I printed this out:

and taped it to the window of my local police office, how arrested would I be?

Addendum: Would it help things or hurt to scream "CAN'T FLIM FLAM THE ZIM ZAM!"

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Do it, pussy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Question, for the cops in here. If I printed this out:

and taped it to the window of my local police office, how arrested would I be?

Addendum: Would it help things or hurt to scream "CAN'T FLIM FLAM THE ZIM ZAM!"

You would be greeted as a hero, a savior, a King. Single tears of pure emotion would trail down the cheeks of even the hardest lesbian motorbike cops. Academy recruits for generations to come would tell tails of the day, the day Captain Bravo freed the common officer to step out and speak against the madness. Speak out against the institutionalized hatred and racism and patriarchy that the cops of old stood for. The Thin Blue Line would blur. Officer and civilian, once unrecognizable to each other would become merely people. Equals. Equality for all will be the norm and not the dream and yearly on this day citizens and officers alike will come together united to march to that local police office. The place where it all started. The hallowed ground where Captain Bravo made his stand and proclaimed The Truth.

The chant will start off low, far off in the distance like a thunder. Specks will appear on the horizon and the voices, united together become clearer. Can't flim flam the zim zam. Can't Flim Flam the Zim Zam. CAN'T FLIM FLAM THE ZIM ZAM. CAN'T FLIM FLAM THE ZIM ZAM

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

You posted the wrong one, idiot. There's a better one with Darren Wilson also in it. Someone should add that guy that killed Garner too imo

should work in that canadian dude with the mace and oval office cap too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Do it, pussy.

• Locked thread