Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

freelop posted:

I tried google and personal days and I'm confused
Is it something outside of taking paid holiday?

Kind of a middle ground between PTO and sick leave. Depending on where you work it may just come out of your normal PTO. Mostly its an unplanned PTO day at places where they expect you to schedule your time off far in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Fair enough, I had horrible visions of it being a luxury to be allowed a day or 2 off during the year.
Techincally we are supposed to give 2 weeks notice before being allowed time off but it's very lax in our office.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BraveUlysses posted:

I only get 10 days of sick leave per year, and at the end of the year the company will take half of whatever is left and bank the other half. Therefore, I use it all up every single year.

We used to have use it or lose it vacation and sick time. Now we can bank our sick time if we don't use it, but vacation is still use it or lose it, so of course I use it all (19 days this year, plus paid holiday's). Occasionally get an 'unofficial' comp day for working too much, I'll be taking a 4-day weekend with one of those this coming Tuesday.

The sick pay is kind of funny though, since they switched to allowing you to carry it over, I've stopped using it as personal time, but I've always kept my own records of time off to make sure I keep it straight, and according to my records I should have 128 hours of sick time (PDO) available. According to HR, I have 252 hours (as of yesterday) of available PDO. HR might not be very good at pulling PDO/PTO from our time-sheet records. :dance:

We also have a pretty nice major medical benefit that I hope I never have to use. If I have to take a full week off for an illness/injury, on the 7th day major medical kicks in, and pays retroactive to the beginning of the time off, 100% of my pay for 6 weeks before I have to even start using PDO/PTO.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CornHolio posted:

I've seen one movie in 3D (Abe Lincoln, Vamp Hunter) and didn't like the 3D aspect of it. Seems gimmicky. Nothing I'd pay extra for, that's for sure.

I don't really get on with 3D, I just don't like it as a visual choice. I want everything presented in as much detail as possible and the 3D glasses knock off a ridiculous amount of brightness. Every time I flicked my glasses off in Mad Max I was sad that it was so much brighter without the glasses. 3D films are something like half as bright which fucks your contrast ratio which in turn fucks your ability to catch detail.

I wish the cinema had announced the 2D tickets at the same time as the 3D ones because I wouldn't have bothered. Hell my TV is 3D capable but I've never actually used it for 3D outside of my housemate buying glasses for it and showing me. It's bollocks.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CornHolio posted:

I've seen one movie in 3D (Abe Lincoln, Vamp Hunter) and didn't like the 3D aspect of it. Seems gimmicky. Nothing I'd pay extra for, that's for sure.

Only movie i've ever seen in 3D was Tron: Legacy, at an IMAX 3D cinema. (not some fancy 3D tv.)

And ohhhh poo poo it was loving awesome. Honestly, in that movie it was mindblowing and just amazing. I would pay good money to see that in 3D again, so worth it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Also for what it's worth, this exists.

Not sure how I feel about that, but I guess it would appeal for some that want the mystery behind Fury Road's world explained.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Getting back into coding and microcontrollers.

Is that a kit, or home cookin'? If it's a kit, link please. I need a project for my boy for the Summer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Is that a kit, or home cookin'? If it's a kit, link please. I need a project for my boy for the Summer.

https://tiny-circuits.com/products/tiny-duino.html

I'd recommend getting a Arduino Uno kit and starting with that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

https://tiny-circuits.com/products/tiny-duino.html

I'd recommend getting a Arduino Uno kit and starting with that.

Thanks! God drat they have some cool stuff!

And of course thingiverse has stuff to print for them, too https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:739648

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: personal days/work from home - at my last job one of my coworkers did this all the drat time and management didn't do poo poo about it until he was averaging two days a week of arbitrarily deciding he was going to work from home that day. Once they called the three of us out for "working remotely too much" (he was the only one on the team of three who did this) he switched to claiming he was working after hours and had to delay his start by several hours as a result. Not total bullshit - we were supporting VOIP phone systems and there was some stuff that was easier to do when the stores were closed but it was pretty much every day with this guy.

And when they had to cut a position for the company's restructuring (HP spinning off its printers and personal systems group into a separate company) naturally they picked me because I made $2/hour more and had a company car - not the guy with the work ethic of a teenager.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ssjonizuka posted:

:psyduck:
Does not compute. I know, I know, I'm guilty of it sometimes too, but drat man. If you're taking a day and it's slow, just take the drat day and gently caress off with work.
Yeah I'm poo poo at taking time away from work. Even when I'm not there I usually have email open, get at least 2 calls a day about stuff and am constantly thinking about it.

1500quidporsche posted:

How frequently do you guys take personal days?
Not as often as I probably should. I usually wait until I'm dragging and feel like I'm getting sick until I realize I need to take a day off to catch up. My body's hosed though and everyone at work knows it so they understand. After I emailed them earlier my boss replied and said he was going to ask me if I wanted to take Friday off to get an extra day over the weekend and catch up.

Since early last week it's been a struggle to stay awake on the drive home. Once home it's straight to bed to sleep for 1-1.5 hours, wake up for a few hours to eat then back to bed. Gets to the point where coffee, straight caffienne or any other stimulant does absolutely nothing.

Cakefool posted:

Fury road can't possibly be as good as you're all making out.
You shut your dirty whore mouth! It is.

Sigma X posted:

I get 10 holidays a year, and ~160 hours of PTO total. The company has a yearly shutdown during the winter holiday timeframe that eats 36-48 hours of that, depending on how the days fall. My office is pretty cool with folks working remotely, so stuff like "I'm waiting at the dealership for my car's oil change to be done" or "My daughter has a dental appointment at noon so I'm WFH today" is fairly common. When you've got that kind of flexibility, "personal days" aren't as necessary as, say, someone working a warehouse job.
Mine's pretty similar. I'm mostly hardware but everything I do other than physically replacing parts can be done remotely. This year they "got rid of" vacation time as far as keeping track of it because accounting said it would look better. So it's up the discretion of your manager if you want time off. I'm fortunate that I have an awesome boss that lets us take time whenever as long as we have people around to cover and aren't in the middle of a project. We also get to take government, customer and company holidays off.

Think the bad alternator in the 928 took out the battery, trying to bring it back to life with an old charger but not too hopeful. Managed to make one of the five stops I wanted to and didn't get back to the house until five minute before my friends restaurant closed for the day. Looks like I'll have to hit that place another time. Not how I wanted to spend my day off but oh well, that's what I get for driving that instead of the VW I guess.

Time for a cigar and some rum :clint:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NitroSpazzz posted:

This year they "got rid of" vacation time as far as keeping track of it because accounting said it would look better. So it's up the discretion of your manager if you want time off. I'm fortunate that I have an awesome boss that lets us take time whenever as long as we have people around to cover and aren't in the middle of a project.

That sounds like a terrible arrangement, you're one memo from your boss's boss about too much PTO or your boss taking a promotion/leaving the company and being replaced by a workaholic micro-manager who thinks two days off a year is sufficient away from having to fight for/not being able to take time off.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geoj posted:

That sounds like a terrible arrangement, you're one memo from your boss's boss about too much PTO or your boss taking a promotion/leaving the company and being replaced by a workaholic micro-manager who thinks two days off a year is sufficient away from having to fight for/not being able to take time off.

Yea, stuff like that works great when you are under the right management, but sucks if a dick takes over.

I prefer my current arrangement, where I have an official number of days off, but my management is cool with us taking time when we need to for appointments or 'personal health' or whatever as long as we aren't abusing it, and I also WFH (work from home) 2 days per week. They also have no issues with the WFH when we have a doctor's appointment, or car to the dealers etc., which is pretty awesome since I work over 50 miles from the office.

I get most of the benefits of non-tracked vacation time, along with the security of knowing that I will always get the minimum even if I for some reason end up with a jerk-bag manager, or upper level management cracks down on the unofficial stuff if they for some reason were to find out about it.

Salaried though, so when I worked 70+ hours per week for 6 weeks for the last release, all I got for that was a 'thank you', and a comp day (the same as everyone else, even the dick-bags that only put in an extra 8 or 10 hours per week, which is kind of bullshit, but oh well).

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

:mediocre: chat, I found an interview with the doof warrior

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/we-talked-to-the-dude-who-plays-a-flame-throwing-guitar-in-mad-max-fury-road

the whammy bar controlled the flames and the guitar was made of bedpans and weighed 132 lbs :black101:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Locator posted:

Salaried though, so when I worked 70+ hours per week for 6 weeks for the last release, all I got for that was a 'thank you', and a comp day (the same as everyone else, even the dick-bags that only put in an extra 8 or 10 hours per week, which is kind of bullshit, but oh well).

You're doing salaried wrong. You should be the guy doing the bare minimum extra required.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

Gluten intolerance is pretty rare, and most of the anti-gluten stuff is just new age woo.

Get the loving endoscopy and let the gastroenterologist do his job.

My mom and sister are celiac so I had to take a gluten test. It was just a blood test for whatever antibodies for me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

My mom and sister are celiac so I had to take a gluten test. It was just a blood test for whatever antibodies for me.

I'm not saying celiac disease doesn't occur, it does. But its not as common as all the 'Gluten Free' stuff showing up in restaurants and promoted by magazines make it out to be.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Taco Box posted:

:mediocre: chat, I found an interview with the doof warrior

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/we-talked-to-the-dude-who-plays-a-flame-throwing-guitar-in-mad-max-fury-road

the whammy bar controlled the flames and the guitar was made of bedpans and weighed 132 lbs :black101:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh poo poo, incredible. Hahaha.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm not saying celiac disease doesn't occur, it does. But its not as common as all the 'Gluten Free' stuff showing up in restaurants and promoted by magazines make it out to be.

I think the whole bullshit gluten free special snowflake thing is ridiculous, but at least with all these idiots deciding they are going to cut gluten out of their diet for ~~~reasons, please read my tumblr~~~ the couple of friends I have who are celiac have a lot better options for food these days. Being unable to handle gluten a decade ago basically meant your food tasted like poo poo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

You're doing salaried wrong. You should be the guy doing the bare minimum extra required.

I guess that all depends on your goals with the company. I came in with no experience at all (they took a huge chance on me) and I'm advancing rapidly because I am not one of the people that do the bare minimum required. I have a salary goal in mind and I'm working hard to hit it, because I am getting old and can't afford to get paid crappy wages doing the minimum possible if I want to retire before I'm 70.

So I am being rewarded at the merit raises and promotions stage, but it irritates me that they can't seem to use the recognitions and rewards program that's in place to recognize individual performance, instead of seemingly only using it to reward everyone exactly the same for project success.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

The Locator posted:

Yea, stuff like that works great when you are under the right management, but sucks if a dick takes over.

I prefer my current arrangement, where I have an official number of days off, but my management is cool with us taking time when we need to for appointments or 'personal health' or whatever as long as we aren't abusing it, and I also WFH (work from home) 2 days per week. They also have no issues with the WFH when we have a doctor's appointment, or car to the dealers etc., which is pretty awesome since I work over 50 miles from the office.

I get most of the benefits of non-tracked vacation time, along with the security of knowing that I will always get the minimum even if I for some reason end up with a jerk-bag manager, or upper level management cracks down on the unofficial stuff if they for some reason were to find out about it.

This is pretty much the same setup I have, except more working from home. Also, since the gf works near my office(hairdresser, kinda odd hours), I just show up at the office the hours she works and wfh before/after so we can carpool. Some weeks I only show up at the office if there is a meeting that I need to be at in person. As long as the work gets done my boss does not care where you are sitting. Hell my lovely comcast connection at home is usually faster than the connection at the office since there are way to many people to just have a 50MB connection.

While we have a set number of PTO days, I don't think my manager ever bothers actually reporting when we take days off to HR, so I pretty much have unlimited. Or maybe I am supposed to report it? No clue really, but I have been here for over a year and half and no one has told me I need to do something differently. I spent a month in New Zealand over christmas/new years visiting family and I am pretty sure he did not bother to report that to HR. I could go look at some internal HR portal, but that would involve connecting to the corp VPN, and I avoid doing that when I can. Of course if I tried to start taking advantage of the situation everything would change, but as long as we put in the work my boss takes care of keeping the corporate bullshit off us. I guess that is an upside to working at a huge company as long as your direct boss is cool.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Geoj posted:

Oh yeah it could backfire a few years down the road for sure. As it sits I'm good for another 5-6 years with the various systems I'm working on and the management I have. Once those systems are done I'll either be moving back to WI and working in engineering/sales or taking over a managerial position. Would be in the management position my boss is now if it wasn't for some health poo poo having me out of work for ~6 months when they needed to fill the slot.

The Locator posted:

Salaried as well and we have a few that put in the minimum but for the most part everyone pulls their weight. Those that don't don't get raises and bonuses. I average 38-40 hours a week onsite then another hour or two at home everyday and I don't mind it at all, I've very happy with how things have worked. Install, acceptance, crazy weeks 80 hours aren't unusual but between comp time and personal days it all works out in the end.

I love how everything related to this movie was just on a completely different scale than anything else. 130lb guitar sure why not, Tatra 8x8 moving stereo sure.

Think I've talked enough people into going to Mad Max this weekend we should have a good group. I've talked them out of 3D and into going to the nice theater so it should be a good time.

I go back and forth trying to figure out if it would be worth the 15-20k to build a nice, large outbuilding on the spare lot. I mean I'd get to use it for 5-6 years but the chance of me sticking around this area once those systems are out is pretty drat slim. Not having the space is one of the main reasons I haven't picked up more project and/or classic cars at this point. Dad's offered to store up to two in WI for me since he has the space.

Anyone have tips for setting up a decent Pandora station for movie soundtrack stuff? I'd love a station with music from Mad Max, 300, etc.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 20, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

No vacation time, sick days or paid holidays here. :(

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

Oh don't misunderstand, I'm not ragging on you I think the whole gluten free fad is a gigantic load of bullshit. I'm just saying when I had a gluten test don't it was just a blood test, not an endoscopy. So there are other options for finding out.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was hired so my parents could gently caress off to Hawaii every 6 weeks. I don't know why I agreed to do this.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I am extremely lucky to be working for who I am working for (my boss, I mean; the company loving blows). I can pretty much write my own schedule. If my boss needs me in the office, I come in, do what I need to do, and can then gently caress off the rest of the time. As long as my district is running smoothly, I can work as little as 20 hours a week, and now with a company phone with hotspot, laptop, and a VPN, I can perform pretty much any function I need to from anywhere I have 3G.

It's when poo poo hits the fan that I don't get a day off for two months in a row and don't have a social life to speak of. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's incredibly lovely.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 20, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

4 months into running my own company.. Days off are like torture because day off = no work = no money.

I haven't paid myself yet either, living off the overdraft on my bank account.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mooseykins posted:

4 months into running my own company.. Days off are like torture because day off = no work = no money.

I haven't paid myself yet either, living off the overdraft on my bank account.

I know I don't know the whole story or nothin', really, but wouldn't it have been a lot more, uhm, financially responsible to save up some cash to start the business and live off of until your revenue projections forecasted you'd be able to live off it, rather than depending on what is a rather risky de-facto line of credit?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm not very PC and probably have some bad opinions, but the fact that more than 24 hours after the story broke, doing a search for "nigga house" in Google and switching to Maps brings up the White House is honestly shameful and more than a little bit racist.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Sigma X posted:

I know I don't know the whole story or nothin', really, but wouldn't it have been a lot more, uhm, financially responsible to save up some cash to start the business and live off of until your revenue projections forecasted you'd be able to live off it, rather than depending on what is a rather risky de-facto line of credit?

Yes, it would have been.

Except i lost my old job in early January, and what money i did have saved went into getting this business going and maintenance work on my van. (I'm a courier.) I could've got another job elsewhere, but managed to get in with a customer i'd previously dealt with that guaranteed somewhat stable regular work, and a start to getting my own company going. That wasn't an opportunity i wanted to miss, and it's paid off as i've taken a few thousand off them so far.

I'd much rather i had money saved up to live off, and i did, but it ran out. I've been working two jobs so it's not just accumulating, it gets paid off and then goes up, gets paid off, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I'm not very PC and probably have some bad opinions, but the fact that more than 24 hours after the story broke, doing a search for "nigga house" in Google and switching to Maps brings up the White House is honestly shameful and more than a little bit racist.

Its hard to watch people say they are patriotic and then do stuff like that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gluten sensitivity has been proved to be "special snowflake syndrome" in the last month I think

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tusen Takk posted:

Gluten sensitivity has been proved to be "special snowflake syndrome" in the last month I think

I don't know what gluten is.

Always hear people talking about stuff like proteins/carbohydrates/saturated fats/gluten/lactose/etc.

Don't have a loving clue..

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

I don't know what gluten is.

Always hear people talking about stuff like proteins/carbohydrates/saturated fats/gluten/lactose/etc.

Don't have a loving clue..

It's in wheat products and I think it's used as an additive in things to make them bind together

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

People with wheat allergies often eat gluten free and I could see how there is some confusion there by the only true blue gluten sensitivity comes from celiac disease

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

There's been an NSX posted up at one of the trap houses around here for the past few days. poo poo is sexy as hell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

People with wheat allergies often eat gluten free and I could see how there is some confusion there by the only true blue gluten sensitivity comes from celiac disease

That is not the problem, MOST of the 'Gluten Free' stuff is pushed by the same people that think they can cure cancer with cannabis oil and viral diseases with special teas.

Yes, there is actual gluten sensitivity. Its pretty rare.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

There's been an NSX posted up at one of the trap houses around here for the past few days. poo poo is sexy as hell.

One of the many "buy here, pay here" places around here has a NSX and an air-cooled 911 in the showroom. I'm assuming they're there so the owner can taunt the people who are financing used Cavaliers and PT Cruisers.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Super Aggro Crag posted:

WTF I thought you were unionized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I am. No work no pay. I can take time off whenever I want but I ain't getting poo poo for it. My paid vacation is whenever I get laid off (of course then I am too broke to go anywhere).

• Locked thread