Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brains
May 12, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

I had a roommate get blackout drunk and come stumbling back to the room at around 2200 one Saturday night. Took him about 20 minutes to finish flailing around the room trying to get undressed enough to go to bed, ended up getting stuck between his desk and the wall for about 5 minutes at one point.

I woke up around midnight when I heard him get out of bed. He made it about a foot from his rack before he encountered a pile of his laundry and decided that was a better choice than the bathroom another two feet away and started just pissing on his clothes.

About 6 hours later, he flopped out of bed to get ready for duty, and apparently remembered nothing of his midnight head call because I heard him plaintively wail "Why are all of these clothes wet?" before stumbling to his wall locker to try to find a dry skivvy shirt.

I waited about a week before telling him as I moved out.

this exact same scenario played out in front of me back in my barracks days, down to the words uttered in the morning. minus the gay navy lingo, of course.

this was also the same roommate that i came home to one saturday morning from the bars, only to find him sitting at his desk staring at a piece of dashboard trim in front of him. from his brand new car that he bought earlier that night and promptly rolled 3 times.

he hadn't bothered to get insurance yet. i laughed in his face he later ended up marrying the first sergeant's daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Here's my dumb idiot story from a civ.

The news station I work for lost all their file photos in a poo poo storm with the IT department, so we're in the process of putting everything back together. The other day i was driving past the local reserve armory and thought 'oh hey, we don't have a picture of that'. Cue me pulling over in the parking lot, getting out, and taking pictures of the outside of the base for a few minutes, and then getting back in my car.

It's right about then that three dudes in camo come boiling out from inside the office looking Very Concerned that someone is taking pictures of the office. I obligingly get back out of my car and explain that, yes, I am a member of the media, here are my credentials, no, I am not a terrorist. Eventually the XO comes out and starts chatting with me about how 'these sort of times' mean that the military needs to be vigilant about This Sort of Thing and 'just call us first next time'.

I drive off with my camera unmolested, at least.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Just some morons trying to feel important.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Next time tell the reserve idiots to suck dicks.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

They can't go anywhere without something dumb happening. See: Guy wakes up in a ditch with no pants on.

That's just good clean fun

Also

Mike-o posted:

Next time tell the reserve idiots to suck dicks.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
What if it's not their weekend to suck dicks?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wild T posted:

What if it's not their weekend to suck dicks?

if it's the weekend before then it's already ruined because they're dreading the dick sucking thats gonna happen that weekend

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

That's just good clean fun

Also
It kind of seems like there was a beat up by Hawaiins story at some point too. But it's gotten to the point I can't tell if I dreamed it or not.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

It kind of seems like there was a beat up by Hawaiins story at some point too. But it's gotten to the point I can't tell if I dreamed it or not.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I was Jody for a marine while I was in hawaii. Dude walked in on us after we were finished, told me to leave, then fingerbanged her and tasted it when I was gone.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

holy poo poo im losing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMCFRElyaCc

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

250k. What a loving retard.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

ded posted:

I was Jody for a marine while I was in hawaii. Dude walked in on us after we were finished, told me to leave, then fingerbanged her and tasted it when I was gone.

Technically I think that counts as a three way.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Spot the guy who got a sweet deal on his mustang with 25% APR

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Also the girl who was airing all her grievances on Facebook after not getting the job she wanted, found out more about that. Apparently she was saying stuff like "Am I overqualified?!". As it turns out the ASVAB requirement for paralegal is 58, she couldn't swing that. So no. They did just let her reenlist again, for 6 more years.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:patriot:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

https://wikileaks.org/trident-safety/ holy poo poo this guy is hosed

quote:

:nsa:

quote:

:nsa:

Opsec Wizard Edit: Laugh at this idiot via the link.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 21, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

that expiry date is wrong

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Has he scheduled his sex change yet?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Caconym posted:

Too much detail is probably opsec?
I know nothing about them but seem to recall this from other threads.

You really don't want FOD in them beacause all the energy from the tubines pass through them so if they were to seize that energy will have nowhere to go.
Energy doesn't like this and have a tendency to turn into shrapnel and heat. Lots of heat.

Here's a Norwegian minesweeper. They use lift fans and skirts to generate a surface effect to go faster:

Here's what happens when the drive shaft to one of the 2 megawatt lift fans decides to depart this world (along with some .50 cal cook offs):

To be fair, the norwegian navy have had a bad habit of lighting that class of vessel on fire. I just wish they would set fire to Valkyrien next

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So how bad are things going to be for submariners now that the Irish Terrorist Robot hosed them over?

I'm guessing there will be massive amounts of bullshit, but maybe cooler heads will prevail.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Frosted Flake posted:

So how bad are things going to be for submariners now that the Irish Terrorist Robot hosed them over?

I'm guessing there will be massive amounts of bullshit, but maybe cooler heads will prevail.

When it comes to subs, there is no such thing as 'cooler heads'

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

holy poo poo this guy is hosed

:aaaaa:

My rear end in a top hat instinctively puckered reading that. He's gonna get the hate-gently caress the NSA wishes they could give to Snowden.

e: :captainpop: also seems strangely appropriate

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

fjelltorsk posted:

To be fair, the norwegian navy have had a bad habit of lighting that class of vessel on fire. I just wish they would set fire to Valkyrien next

The "Disposable grill"-class earned its nickname with style and honor. :norway:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Frosted Flake posted:

Probably further restriction of personal owned electronics, particularly while in port. Maybe some more stringent security measures for areas containing classified materials and the like. I doubt they'll really beef up security all that much. Just further restrictions of liberties.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Wild T posted:

When ALLIED STRIKE was a thing, without fail every year one of the JTACs would get shmammered and piss in someone's bunk. Once or twice while someone was sleeping in it. I've sat and pondered the fact that I've been so drunk I've been on the verge of hospitalization, but never walked over to someone else's bunk and pissed into it. I really feel like I've been doing something wrong all my life.

Hahaha whats with the military and people pissing in each others bunks this happened at my barracks aswell (during my compulsory military service). This dude was so drunk after the first night of leave during basic training, he came staggering into the room (god knows how he got past the gate guards) and just without even stopping to think, he walked over to his empty bunk, dropped his pants to his anckles and pissed right into his own it while rubbing his face and moaning.
He then tried to get into it, but upon noticing it was wet, he shuffled over to the neighbouring bunk (pants still around his anckles) and started cursing at the poor guy lying there, blaming him for pissing in his bed. He was then tossed out of the room along with his pisstained mattress. They found him the next day, lying under the stairs, pants still around anckles, and piss stained mattress jammed halfway out of the hallway window.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Guest2553 posted:

:aaaaa:

My rear end in a top hat instinctively puckered reading that. He's gonna get the hate-gently caress the NSA wishes they could give to Snowden.

e: :captainpop: also seems strangely appropriate

Christ, are sub control rooms not considered a scif? Or are they, but with literally no enforcement of device policy?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Probably further restriction of personal owned electronics, particularly while in port. Maybe some more stringent security measures for areas containing classified materials and the like. I doubt they'll really beef up security all that much. Just further restrictions of liberties.

how good is the cell phone service on a sub?

i wasn't serious until i actually typed it out because the obvious answer is that there is no cell service on a sub but maybe?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A Man With A Plan posted:

Christ, are sub control rooms not considered a scif? Or are they, but with literally no enforcement of device policy?

Depends on what charts are on the plotter. No joke.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Cole posted:

i wasn't serious until i actually typed it out because the obvious answer is that there is no cell service on a sub but maybe?

Maybe if you get into port and have a phone? These days internet access on a ship is a huge deal since with email Facebook and Skype you can connect to home a little bit. It's a small thing but a very big small thing.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Cole posted:

Cell service isn't much of an issue when you can take pictures or video of entire manuals then upload it later or whatever this guy did.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

ded posted:

Depends on what charts are on the plotter. No joke.

That's hilarious, in a kind of bureaucratic way

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

According to him, the latter.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Literally "please don't look in that direction if your aren't cleared"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The fuckups everyone hates aren't going to flame out hilariously anymore. They're just going to leak a bunch of stuff, get locked up, and become heroes to other losers who couldn't even muster up the effort to get off the couch and go to the recruitment office.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
But it's so easy to post "Snowden is an American hero" on reddit.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Tunicate posted:

According to him, the latter.

Having anything with a microphone or camera on it anywhere other than berthing / the mess decks was a huge deal on my boat. People weren't frisked or anything but you could get hosed pretty good if you got caught with one, particularly if you were actually using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Literally "please don't look in that direction if your aren't cleared"

Well they do put a curtain up around the plot table when they have the special ones out. And everyone on the boat has a minimum of a secret + codeword clearance.

This is for LA class boats I don't know about others, but I would guess the layout is pretty much the same since on Virginia boats they even shoved sonar into control :wtc: