Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Christie's spot on that chart still blows my mind but it's likely due to the state he's in, similar to Nixon's position being affected by the Congress he had to work with. I wonder how history will look on HW Bush and how much hate he'll get for having spawned Jeb and Junior.

Christie's positions are pretty close to the Republicans that used to be solid bloc for the Northeast at large before the hardcore racism stuff really set in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

The Lord of Hats posted:

How bad must it feel, as an established politician, if you're edged out for the debate by Carson, Fiorina, and 'Snake Oil' Huckabee?

That reminds me, no one's mentioned Trump yet :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Lord of Hats posted:

How bad must it feel, as an established politician, if you're edged out for the debate by Carson, Fiorina, and 'Snake Oil' Huckabee?

If you're polling that low hopefully bad enough you wouldn't try for another office but something tells me they'll all be running again soon anyways :/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

That reminds me, no one's mentioned Trump yet :v:

Beat me to it. Trump is consistently placing fifth to eighth place in national and New Hampshire polls when he's included. If he declares he'll be on that stage.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Shageletic posted:

Laughing at freaking George C. Marshall not being included here.

EDIT: Or Dulles. Jesus.

I should have mentioned that it only goes back 50 years.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arkane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhZxDrJi9UE

We've learned Hillary's accomplishments as Secretary of State include:
-Can't think of anything
-Can't think of anything
-Can't think of anything
-What is secretary of state?
-Scott Walker is gonna take mah unions!!!!!

It's gonna suck when you have to do this tapdance in a little under 10 years when she's winding up her second term as president.

GOP accomplishments 2008-present: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cye2kZSmyWI

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
The RCP average is currently:

1. Jeb (15.4)
2. Walker (13.2)
3. Rubio (13.2)
4. Paul (9.2)
5. Huckabee (8.6)
6. Cruz (8.6)
7. Carson (7.8)
8. Christie (5.4)
9. Perry (2.4)
10. Santorum (2.3)
11. Kasich (2.0)
12. Fiorina (1.3)
13. Jindal (1.3)
14. Graham (1.3)

If Trump actually announces, he could very well bump Santorum or Perry off. The death zone there is perilously close.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

With the vote split so many ways, I'm really curious bumping off which contenders will give which remaining candidates a boost, since that might be a way for an evangelical or tea-party nut to overtake one of the "moderate" serious candidates if the crazies start dropping out and they can consolidate the crazy vote.

There's probably enough votes in Paul, Santorum, Cruz, Huckabee, Fiorina and Carson to put one of them at the top of the list, depending on the breaks. If it's one of them vs. Bush, Walker and Rubio they could lead the pack.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah, I think it matters a lot who drops out and when. If the establishment candidates start dropping too early, the survivor could soak up the support and run away with the contest; same for the Tea Party wing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wouldn't this require that the tea party darlings not be the more egotistical, thickheaded and self absorbed ones? They're more likely to deny reality and stick it out to the bitter end because they deserve to be president. Santorum is the only one I can see actually thinking good of party and good of ideaology comes before good of self.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fulchrum posted:

Wouldn't this require that the tea party darlings not be the more egotistical, thickheaded and self absorbed ones? They're more likely to deny reality and stick it out to the bitter end because they deserve to be president. Santorum is the only one I can see actually thinking good of party and good of ideaology comes before good of self.

Tea Party darlings also have the shakiest finances. You can refuse to drop out all you want, but if your sugar daddy and his PAC move on, well you're out. Establishment candidates have a much larger base, which probably would let them tell everyone else to stick it for far longer than a Tea Partier. The question is whether the sugar daddies of the fallen will be spoils for those still in the race or if their ego prevents such a thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
CNN, being CNN, has decided to solve the debate problem by limiting participation to the top 10 candidates, and then having a separate, but equal, debate for the rest of them immediately after.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yes! The craziest of the crazy

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

CNN, being CNN, has decided to solve the debate problem by limiting participation to the top 10 candidates, and then having a separate, but equal, debate for the rest of them immediately after.

I should be used to it by now, but holy hell is CNN good at trying to be as effective as FoxNews and failing every single time a plane disappearing in the ocean isn't part of the equation.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Add my name to the list of folks who are stoked to watch the Republican debate shitshow.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

How beneficial is it to be in the bottom percent when Fox is going to give you more time the next day on their channel? The segment is going to be:

"What do you think of what they said?"
(Firebombs thrown with no one to deny or argue against you)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

It will probably be O'Reilly and Ted Cruz on The Factor the next day where they'll basically begin sucking each others cocks in front of the Fox News viewing public.

E: vvv :barf: vvv

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 21, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SouthLAnd posted:

It will probably be O'Reilly and Ted Cruz on The Factor the next day where they'll basically begin sucking each others cocks in front of the Fox News viewing public.

No meatspin zone.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Joementum posted:

This ad is appearing on Politico right now:

How the hell do people like Walker get elected? (that's a rhetorical question, I know the answer)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yes with a tax base that only China and India can rival, the spending must end!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Joementum posted:

As a wee lad, CNN was always the news network that I thought had the reputation of being the Serious, Legit News. Was that ever actually the case, or have they always been a complete joke?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wheeee posted:

As a wee lad, CNN was always the news network that I thought had the reputation of being the Serious, Legit News. Was that ever actually the case, or have they always been a complete joke?

At one point an argument could be made that they were somewhat legit, but it seems like they saw the ratings Fox News gets and decided to jump on that bandwagon some time ago.

I think Wolf Blitzer was always awful, though. And Nancy Grace, but that goes without saying.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Even until semi-recently I think CNN tried to be in the center but eventually decided to go Fox Lite after falling behind them and MSNBC in ratings.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"You may be wondering why I have asked you all here..."

"... it is so I can play the song of my people."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gorelab posted:

Even until semi-recently I think CNN tried to be in the center but eventually decided to go Fox Lite after falling behind them and MSNBC in ratings.

msnbc has consistently lower ratings than cnn though?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

"You may be wondering why I have asked you all here..."

"... it is so I can play the song of my people."

My personal bar for perry is so low that eight seconds of him playing Für Elise left me quite impressed.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

When Zucker left NBC after killing a bunch of shows to give Leno more time slots, he was given control of CNN where he said CNN's biggest problem was that they show too much news. They've got a lot of issues going on over there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gorelab posted:

They got rid of Lou Dobbs so they're actually better than in the past.

Apollo_Creed
Aug 4, 2002

I am the Master of Disaster.
10 people seems like too many for it to really be any good (either substance or hilarity), but I'm sure they want to keep Fiorina, who I can't see cracking more than 3-5%.
From some quick googling, it looks like the most they had in a debate in 2012 was 9.
August cannot get here soon enough!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Apollo_Creed posted:

10 people seems like too many for it to really be any good (either substance or hilarity), but I'm sure they want to keep Fiorina, who I can't see cracking more than 3-5%.
From some quick googling, it looks like the most they had in a debate in 2012 was 9.
August cannot get here soon enough!

For a 1 hour debate that's only 6 minutes per person. That's maaaybe 10 questions at most, without any rebuttals.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Perry's new ad about how much he loves Iowa starts with him playing Beethoven, cuts before he hits the wrong note (as seen in the Instagram above), and ends with someone else playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08HUc5PmWoA

Can we trust a candidate who so blatantly lies about his musical ability?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raskolnikov38 posted:

My personal bar for perry is so low that eight seconds of him playing Für Elise left me quite impressed.

Like most Texans, Perry finishes in eight seconds.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Dumping the fringe crazies into a debate is honestly the best programming decision CNN has ever made. Kudos for them ensuring the big tent party is as much of a circus as possible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This list doesn't have enough crazy for my taste for it to be a really good poo poo show of a debate. Jeb just has to not gently caress up and sit back and the others throw poo poo at each other.

1. Jeb (15.4)
2. Walker (13.2)
3. Rubio (13.2)
4. Paul (9.2)
5. Huckabee (8.6)
6. Cruz (8.6)
7. Carson (7.8)
8. Christie (5.4)
9. Perry (2.4)
10. Santorum (2.3)

Again, it's going to be Jeb Bush / Scott Walker .

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

Perry's new ad about how much he loves Iowa starts with him playing Beethoven, cuts before he hits the wrong note (as seen in the Instagram above), and ends with someone else playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08HUc5PmWoA

Can we trust a candidate who so blatantly lies about his musical ability?

Looks like he forgot the third measure.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

my bony fealty posted:

Looks like he forgot the third measure.

oh god he literally did

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wheeee posted:

The sad news is that CNN has never been a good news network. For a good long while they were the only news network, but even then they were pretty terrible. They're a Ted Turner product. To paraphrase Bill Hicks, they've been beating a steady drum of "WAR, FAMINE, RECESSION, DEPRESSION, WAR, FAMINE, RECESSION, DEPRESSION" for over 30 years now. Whatever got and gets ratings is all they care about, and I think it's fair to say that the discourse about current events and politics in the US has been done a tremendous disservice by CNN.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

potato of destiny posted:

oh god he literally did

God is real and he loves us, all of us in this thread to be exact :allears:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Vox dug up a Lincoln-Douglass debate from 1993 with Bernie being awesome and arguing for a Canadian style coverage system.

John Boehner looks so young in this video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

potato of destiny posted:

oh god he literally did

On one hand I'd be really impressed if this was some sort of master troll, but there's no way.

• Locked thread