Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
In the last three minutes of this episode, Takeo solved the problem Ippo's been struggling with for the last twenty six years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm loving the fact that Take and Yamato are equally autistic weirdos and that the only reason they don't break up over silly misunderstandings is that Suna is a world class bro

Also that training montage :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ViggyNash posted:

I'm loving the fact that Take and Yamato are equally autistic weirdos and that the only reason they don't break up over silly misunderstandings is that Suna is a world class bro

Perhaps it is you, who are autistic

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Captain Invictus posted:

They are such lovable goofballs. It's amazing. :allears:

Rarely does a show literally make me go :allears: irl, but this show definitely does

Every goddamn episode for me.

Such a pure love.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ViggyNash posted:

Ah yes two awkward teens = autistic, obviously

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I was so autistic when I was teenager you wouldn't believe it

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Best animated judo match I have watched in my life.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You people take the most random things literally.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i get that we're on sa, where autism and aspergers are like casual insults, but it seems dumb as hell to refer to characters as autistic when they clearly aren't
par for the course i guess

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think it just bugs people when words are used so incorrectly. Also because it puts a negative spin on the purest feelings. You don't need a brain disorder to act like an idiot when you're a teenager in love. :colbert:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

guess who is bothered by words being used wrong? autists!!!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

:vince:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

you got me there :cool:

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Show rules so much. Although seeing that judo match made me really want more hot-blooded karuta animes.

Also, this contained one of my favorite panels from the manga, so it's an A++ episode.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Everyone in this thread should either get super buff or learn how to bake salt cakes, or maybe just eat cakes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Chas McGill posted:

Everyone in this thread should either get super buff or learn how to bake salt cakes, or maybe just eat cakes.

I think most goons are pretty good at the last one.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I grin during each episode. I was going to read the manga and I did for a little bit, but I stopped because the anime is so good.

The best part for me is how Suna and his sister have always considered Takeo as decent and awesome in his own right. He definitely doesn't fit into the standard mold of your typical Japanese young man, but nevertheless they see him for what he is. Of course, Yamato does too, but the fact that his friend Suna has always remained faithful and has never found Takeo 'boring" is pretty cool too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dan7el posted:

I grin during each episode. I was going to read the manga and I did for a little bit, but I stopped because the anime is so good.

The best part for me is how Suna and his sister have always considered Takeo as decent and awesome in his own right. He definitely doesn't fit into the standard mold of your typical Japanese young man, but nevertheless they see him for what he is. Of course, Yamato does too, but the fact that his friend Suna has always remained faithful and has never found Takeo 'boring" is pretty cool too.

I love last episode's "well yeah, of course he got a girlfriend. Takeo's really cool."

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!

I don't even know.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That training montage was pretty great. :allears:

By the way, are there any good or at least decent anime with a main protagonist who actually is horribly autistic?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Poil posted:

That training montage was pretty great. :allears:

By the way, are there any good or at least decent anime with a main protagonist who actually is horribly autistic?

Watamote maybe? It's certainly a superb look at a broken-brained social outcast. It's also terribly depressing at times in spite of being a comedy on the surface, also really loving funny when it's not being depressing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watamote and maybe Welcome to the NHK. Though I think pretty much all the ones I can think of only conform to the SA standard of autistic (weird and socially stunted) rather than the actual one.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

We need more handicapped people in anime in general. Yuuki Yuuna was pretty good with regards to this. Even though paraplegic girl was a raging nationalist.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Anime is hardly alone in this. I think Haddon's Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time is the only realistic autistic protagonist I've seen in any medium.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fangz posted:

Anime is hardly alone in this. I think Haddon's Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time is the only realistic autistic protagonist I've seen in any medium.

Yeah, that is my general feeling on it too, because of the nature of severe autism it's very hard if not impossible to portray what the world looks like from the perspective of someone who is severely autistic.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

True, but there should be some autistic mangaka who could do it. Or if they have someone who's studied autism a lot to help out with the writing. That'd be interesting.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Watamote maybe? It's certainly a superb look at a broken-brained social outcast. It's also terribly depressing at times in spite of being a comedy on the surface, also really loving funny when it's not being depressing.

Sakurazuka posted:

Watamote and maybe Welcome to the NHK. Though I think pretty much all the ones I can think of only conform to the SA standard of autistic (weird and socially stunted) rather than the actual one.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I've already seen those shows. :)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

There was a Bollywood movie called My Name is Khan about a Muslim guy with Asperger set around 9/11 that was really good. I can't really think of anything else featuring a legitimately autistic main character.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ViggyNash posted:

There was a Bollywood movie called My Name is Khan about a Muslim guy with Asperger set around 9/11 that was really good. I can't really think of anything else featuring a legitimately autistic main character.

Rain Man, maybe? It's been ages since I watched that, so I honestly can't remember if Dustin Hoffman in that is legit autistic or hollywood autistic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This whole conversation is a little silly since autism spectrum disorders encompass a huge range of disability. It could mean anything from "nearly catatonic" to someone who's just congenitally bad at reading others' emotional states and has very narrow interests and repetitive behaviors.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This whole conversation is a little silly since autism spectrum disorders encompass a huge range of disability. It could mean anything from "nearly catatonic" to someone who's just congenitally bad at reading others' emotional states and has very narrow interests and repetitive behaviors.

In that case, DBZ is good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Amano Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki actually reads more like someone with high-functioning autism than any other character I can think of offhand. He's got very ritualized behavior that he repeats every day, makes detailed diary entries of things that happen around him every few minutes with little sense of priority, he constantly misinterprets friendly social advances as threats and vice-versa, and he retreats into an elaborate fantasy when people get to be too much for him.

They also never portray it as some kind of superpower, which I appreciated; it's an obstacle he has to overcome. The whole show (as trashy and exploitative as it is) has a really neat undercurrent of how to navigate healthy and unhealthy ways of dealing with loneliness.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Professor Irony posted:

I don't even know.

That's the Soyokaze, not the Yamato

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Poil posted:

Not an anime, but there was a live action J-drama called Ataru 2-3 years ago starring Chiaki Kuriyama of Kill Bill/Battle Royale fame and one of the guys from SMAP. He played a Rain Man-style idiot savant character who helped solve crimes. There are English fansubs available.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

boom boom boom posted:

That's the Soyokaze, not the Yamato
"Hello, Yamamoto? I just wanted to hear your voice."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Me, watching the show:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which one?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
For people who read the manga:

Is there actually ever going to be any drama in this show? Or is it going to be the current sort of fluff for the remainder?

I need to temper my expectations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Up to the end of volume 4, which is all that is released in English so far, there is very little drama with maybe some hints of something to come.

As someone who reads a lot of shoujo romance that is a good thing as holy hell can that genre get bogged down in all sorts of dumb melodrama. A series that forgoes all that is like a breath of fresh air.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fangz posted:

For people who read the manga:

Is there actually ever going to be any drama in this show? Or is it going to be the current sort of fluff for the remainder?

I need to temper my expectations.

There's some good stuff with Suna soon. At the moment, the more meaty stuff does tend to revolve around Suna since Takeo and Yamato are pretty happy for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Speaking of Autism, am I the only one who noticed the Duracell jingle during the Judo?

• Locked thread