Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wasn't that the one that took the "ugly" produce then just turned it into juice and told everybody that's what the juice was? I remember reading about a store that did that and it was kind of interesting. Ugly/bruised/slightly spoiled fruit can make perfectly fine juice so they just took it all, juiced it, and said "hey if you consume this stuff it reduces food waste!" and people were like "neat!"
Pretty sure that was what I was thinking of earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

AlphaKretin posted:

Woolworths here in Australia are doing the ugly produce thing too, marketing it to kids as "the odd bunch".

A similar thing is happening with a big grocery store chain in the Netherlands, except you have to buy a box with a random assortment of fruit and vegetables. They're called Misfits and the slogan is "Rejected... But not by us." It's a pretty good idea, really, and I usually pick one up if they have any left.

It's never this full in real life, though. gently caress you, Albert Heijn!

Also, why do a lot of people seem to eat yellow and even still pretty green bananas? They're hard as gently caress and rather gross. Bananas taste best when they're starting to go slightly brownish, I find.

super size soft serve has a new favorite as of 10:13 on May 20, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
In this case it was just selling the stuff, like misshhapen veeggetables and stuff with this campaign that it was still beautiful on the inside. Like, a glamour shot approach.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

BjornOfBorg posted:

Also, why do a lot of people seem to eat yellow and even still pretty green bananas? They're hard as gently caress and rather gross. Bananas taste best when they're starting to go slightly brownish, I find.

I prefer my bananas firm and slightly green. Softer banana is too sweet and makes me gag.

The supermarket I used to work at started selling hot chips and fried chicken like a takeaway place. It was super popular, and I would have thought it was a great idea if customers didn't put all their gnawed, spit-covered bones all up in the product shelves :smith:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Tiggum posted:

In Australia stealing garbage is theft regardless of what it is or who you take it from, and I assume it works pretty much the same in America. Until it's collected, rubbish is the property and responsibility of the person throwing it out. After it's collected it belongs to the council. I don't think you can sue someone because you got sick from eating the rubbish you stole from them any more than you could sue someone because you got food poisoning after breaking into their house and eating something from the fridge. I think what you're thinking of is the thing where shops can't give expired products away because then they would be responsible for it. For example, if regulations say that food can only stay in a bain-marie for a certain amount of time and after that it can no longer be sold, then it can't be given away after that time either. If they let an employee take it that's the same as giving it away.

Nah, keep in mind that in America (more specifically Florida because of loving course it's Florida) there was a case years ago where a man attempted to break into a little old lady's house via skylight, fell and went through her glass coffee table, breaking his leg.

He sued her and won

There are some companies that pour bleach or render the trash inedible in some way with signage simply so they can't get sued if someone gets sick.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Smelly posted:

Nah, keep in mind that in America (more specifically Florida because of loving course it's Florida) there was a case years ago where a man attempted to break into a little old lady's house via skylight, fell and went through her glass coffee table, breaking his leg.

He sued her and won

This sounded like a dumb urban legend, so I went and looked it up. Apparently in reality some 19 year old kid and his friends decided to steal a floodlight from the roof of a school, when he fell through the skylight and suffered injuries that made him a spastic quadriplegic. So yes, I guess he shouldn't have been up there, but it's less "hardened criminal scrapes self while terrorizing a hapless granny and sues her", and more "a teenager suffers a horrible, life-altering injury while committing an idiotic act of vandalism and sues the school".

And also it was in California, not Florida.

e: according to this here book the skylight was even tarred over and a supposed similar incident, which it doesn't elaborate on, had occurred several months prior.

Wanamingo has a new favorite as of 12:28 on May 20, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Life hack: Don't believe anything you read on the internet unless there's a link to a source and the source is something that also exists outside the Internet. Except if it's about something totally hosed up happening in the US: then it's probably true.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
When did the granny skylight thing become an urban legend? Doesn't that story come from Liar Liar?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I've seen liar liar once. If it came from that then it's just me being all :downs: and remembering it as a real occurrence. If that's the case then just disregard it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Smelly posted:

He sued her and won

There are some companies that pour bleach or render the trash inedible in some way with signage simply so they can't get sued if someone gets sick.

This, I used to work as a field technician for Fujifilm and for a long time Walmart had their photo lab personnel puncture photo chemistry bottles prior to disposal as part of a settlement with some homeless guy who found a startup chemistry bottle in the trash, used it for drinking water and ended up with a nasty case of contact dermatitis severe enough to require hospitalization.

Aristophanes posted:

The supermarket I used to work at started selling hot chips and fried chicken like a takeaway place. It was super popular, and I would have thought it was a great idea if customers didn't put all their gnawed, spit-covered bones all up in the product shelves :smith:

I assume grocery stores in Europe don't generally do prepared foods then? It's become so big in the US that a lot of grocery chains practically have their own sit down restaurants in the store. One near me even has a craft beer section with 20 tap handles and a very high quality draught list - if so inclined you can have a beer while you shop.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BjornOfBorg posted:

It depends on personal taste. The exact color of yellow and stage of ripeness that you see bananas being displayed at was based on a bunch of research that figure out the color and ripeness that most people prefer. Which is stupid; some people like to eat hard, green bananas (I'm actually one of them) while others prefer them almost rotting. The ideal scenario would be to have a wide variety of bananas on the shelf so people can grab what they want (maybe I WANT to buy a week's worth of bananas all at once, Walmart, and having green ones helps me do this!) but marketing decided to focus on that one "ideal" color. I remember supermarkets used to do that and make a point of keeping a variety of colors out but now it's all yellow, all the time, and the bananas keep for like two days. Marketing ruins everything.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Geoj posted:

I assume grocery stores in Europe don't generally do prepared foods then? It's become so big in the US that a lot of grocery chains practically have their own sit down restaurants in the store. One near me even has a craft beer section with 20 tap handles and a very high quality draught list - if so inclined you can have a beer while you shop.
I've never seen that anywhere in Germany, at least. It's quite common to have a large chain store under the same roof as a few small businesses (usually at least a newsagent's) and restaurants, but separate from each other. Taking your to go meal in with you would be possible but highly eccentric at least. (Lifehack: don't shop hungry!)

There may be exceptions. My local supermarket has just started putting up advertisements for hot meals, but I have no idea where they'd serve them because there's no room for tables or counters of any kind.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiggum posted:

In Australia stealing garbage is theft regardless of what it is or who you take it from, and I assume it works pretty much the same in America. Until it's collected, rubbish is the property and responsibility of the person throwing it out. After it's collected it belongs to the council. I don't think you can sue someone because you got sick from eating the rubbish you stole from them any more than you could sue someone because you got food poisoning after breaking into their house and eating something from the fridge. I think what you're thinking of is the thing where shops can't give expired products away because then they would be responsible for it. For example, if regulations say that food can only stay in a bain-marie for a certain amount of time and after that it can no longer be sold, then it can't be given away after that time either. If they let an employee take it that's the same as giving it away.

Actually the ownership of garbage is a weird one. If the garbage is still on premises, then the trash is considered the property of the owner until it's picked up and leaves the property. For residential home owners, this can mean that when a can is placed on the curb, it's no longer their property and legally anyone can grab it (even the police). I'm not sure how apartments that use dumpsters in the parking lot work, but I'm sure there's already case-law on it somewhere.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

When did the granny skylight thing become an urban legend? Doesn't that story come from Liar Liar?

It definitely predated Liar Liar, I can recall seeing it in urban legend/"weird trivia" books from years before. Hell, the Internet was already in full swing, it might have even been on Snopes or something by that point.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The ideal scenario would be to have a wide variety of bananas on the shelf so people can grab what they want (maybe I WANT to buy a week's worth of bananas all at once, Walmart, and having green ones helps me do this!) but marketing decided to focus on that one "ideal" color.

My local supermarket divides them into "Bananas for Now" and "Bananas for Later." They don't have a specific section for my preferred type, "Bananas you buy fully intending to eat but never actually get around to before they go bad."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I was working at Trader Joe's during that big weird San Diego blackout a few years ago, and my job the next morning was to stand outside near a parking-lot sized mound of unrefrigerated for 8+ hours product and defend it from roving scavenger gangs. I wish they were more post-apocalyptic looking, but there were mostly just dudes in trucks and vans that would pull up, ask if they could have the garbage, and then drive off angrily when told no. One group of three kids in a VW van did try to pull around the parking lot and load the van from the other side, but they got warned off by actual police almost immediately.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Tiggum posted:

It varies by local laws but no, it's not illegal to take things out of a dumpster in a lot of places in the US. It's illegal to put stuff in a dumpster, but if there are no laws against it in your area, you don't have to trespass on private land and it's not locked, you can take whatever you like. There's one lone city near me where it is illegal and there are tons of signs outside shops and their dumpsters, but everywhere else it's fine. Generally people don't tend to like it very much though, and there are some places where I guess the police will harass the poo poo out of you until you go away even if you're not breaking any laws.

Source: me, an ex-extremely poor person :smith:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It depends on personal taste. The exact color of yellow and stage of ripeness that you see bananas being displayed at was based on a bunch of research that figure out the color and ripeness that most people prefer. Which is stupid; some people like to eat hard, green bananas (I'm actually one of them) while others prefer them almost rotting. The ideal scenario would be to have a wide variety of bananas on the shelf so people can grab what they want (maybe I WANT to buy a week's worth of bananas all at once, Walmart, and having green ones helps me do this!) but marketing decided to focus on that one "ideal" color. I remember supermarkets used to do that and make a point of keeping a variety of colors out but now it's all yellow, all the time, and the bananas keep for like two days. Marketing ruins everything.

Adding to this, despite yellow bananas being "ideal", many grocery stores still have green bananas because they ripen on the shelf and will keep until the store gets their next truck a week later. Walmart probably gets a truck every day so they don't need bananas that keep as long.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

Geoj posted:

So people just take the food, eat it WHILE doing the groceries and pay later? What an interesting concept.

I mean, I do understand sit-in restaurants/cafeterias, if the store is that big you could fit a mall innit. They have some of those stores in Finland that have in-store cafeteria to have coffee, donut, even meals if you get tired of shopping. Families seem to use this tactic a lot with their tired offsprings, when they need new clothes or stuff for cheap and you have to do the groceries at the same time.

But then again, you pay those stuff before shoving them in your mouth hole, so not the quite same deal then.

simplyhorribul has a new favorite as of 19:21 on May 20, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cat Hatter posted:

Adding to this, despite yellow bananas being "ideal", many grocery stores still have green bananas because they ripen on the shelf and will keep until the store gets their next truck a week later. Walmart probably gets a truck every day so they don't need bananas that keep as long.

The produce department I worked in gets about 1.5k pounds a day and as far as I know they didn't really order and of particular ripeness. Somedays the stuff that came in was really green while other days they would be really yellow. It was always great when they came in green and then the next day yellow. Logic dictates you should use the yellow ones since they would go bad sooner but nope. You still use the green ones because they're older.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Life hack: if you just eat all your food before you check out there won't be anything to pay for, walla.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

simplyhorribul posted:

So people just take the food, eat it WHILE doing the groceries and pay later? What an interesting concept.

What? No, you go home and it eat. Or to work or whatever. It's just a convenience item. It's like carry-out places or fast food or whatever.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Lots of stores in the US sell ready-to-eat food that you're supposed to buy and take home to eat; some also have dine-in areas, such as the ones that sell beer by the pint, or the one near me that has a sandwich bar - the dine-in areas always have their own checkout so you pay when you get it. In no stores that I know of are you SUPPOSED to get food, eat it while you're shopping, and pay for it later, but in plenty of stores trashy people DO get food, eat it while they're shopping, and hide the garbage on the dry-goods shelves so they don't have to pay for it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

simplyhorribul posted:

Generally it's more of a cafeteria concept, you order your food, get it and then there's a separate dining area with its own checkouts. The store I was talking about with the 20 tap handles has a whole prepared foods department when you enter the right hand side of the store - made to order pizza, subs and Asian and then they have a barbecue section with everything ready to go in steam trays plus a huge salad bar.

This isn't every grocery store either - there are plenty of stores that either have no prepared foods section or they have a tiny selection of stuff that's tacked onto the side of the deli with minimal or no seating intended for take out.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

flosofl posted:

Actually the ownership of garbage is a weird one. If the garbage is still on premises, then the trash is considered the property of the owner until it's picked up and leaves the property. For residential home owners, this can mean that when a can is placed on the curb, it's no longer their property and legally anyone can grab it (even the police). I'm not sure how apartments that use dumpsters in the parking lot work, but I'm sure there's already case-law on it somewhere.

It varies by jurisdiction. Here (rural Midwest university town), once it's in the toter, it's property of the trash company. Of course, nobody's going to prosecute you for digging out your kid's retainer or whatever accidentally got thrown away--it's so the local police can quietly get permission from the company to search the toter for illegal stuff (here in the rural Midwest 100% of the time they're looking for evidence of a meth lab).

#lifehack put your meth garbage in someone else's can!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Walla!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I have some friends who verge on being crustpunks. Some were freegans for a while, only eating discarded food. This was partly for political reasons, partly because they were/are poor as gently caress, and partly because of a profound lack of self awareness or regard for personal safety.

Anyway, I saw my friend LabRabbit (only name I've known him by for 4+ years) grab a half eaten McD chicken sandwich out of the garbage. At a gas station. In Arkansas. And eat it.

It was super gross.

Lifehack: use this one weird trick to save money and lose weight (as you poo poo yourself to death). Doctors and capitalists HATE it!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm glad my grocery is not also a bar because I would definitely be even more poor and fat than I am now.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

When I worked in produce we'd take anything brusied or close to rotting and wrap it up and put it on a shelf for a super reduced price.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

InediblePenguin posted:

In no stores that I know of are you SUPPOSED to get food, eat it while you're shopping, and pay for it later, but in plenty of stores trashy people DO get food, eat it while they're shopping, and hide the garbage on the dry-goods shelves so they don't have to pay for it.

I started to take offense because I will grab a soda or something and consume it in-store, but I actually buy the empty bottle then. Just leaving your trash in the aisles is like the worst method of shoplifting.

Actual worst probably goes to those who carefully remove a product from its packaging, then close up the packaging and put it back to make it look like nothing's missing.

Learn this one weird trick. Supermarkets HATE it!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
lifehack: talking about what your supermarket procedure and precisely what range of color of bananas you eat are really exciting topics for any conversation

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lifejack: shove some toilet paper up your rear end so you can wipe as you poo poo during the commercial break of the Drew Carey Show

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

amityville anus posted:

Lifejack: shove some toilet paper up your rear end so you can wipe as you poo poo during the commercial break of the Drew Carey Show

Where are you watching the Drew Carey Show?! TELL ME YOUR SECRETS

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aristophanes posted:

I prefer my bananas firm and slightly green. Softer banana is too sweet and makes me gag.

Retail customers are loving garbage beasts.

Let me tell you about all the dirty diapers and rotting food I find in shopping carts.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lifehack: employees won't want to murder your disgusting rear end if you throw away your loving garbage

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

Where are you watching the Drew Carey Show?! TELL ME YOUR SECRETS

It says Laff on the bottom right of the screen. I'm really just waiting for COPS Reloaded to start.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Picnic Princess posted:

Some grocery store in Canada decided to start selling "ugly" produce for cheaper and it made national loving news.

The fact that we care so much about how our food looks on the shelf says a lot.

A lot of "organic" stores sell them at a markup now because if the fruit is ugly and misshapen then obviously that means it wasn't tainted by :siren:chemicals:siren:

Wanamingo posted:

This sounded like a dumb urban legend, so I went and looked it up. Apparently in reality some 19 year old kid and his friends decided to steal a floodlight from the roof of a school, when he fell through the skylight and suffered injuries that made him a spastic quadriplegic. So yes, I guess he shouldn't have been up there, but it's less "hardened criminal scrapes self while terrorizing a hapless granny and sues her", and more "a teenager suffers a horrible, life-altering injury while committing an idiotic act of vandalism and sues the school".

And also it was in California, not Florida.

e: according to this here book the skylight was even tarred over and a supposed similar incident, which it doesn't elaborate on, had occurred several months prior.

Yeah, it's really funny how the myth of frivolous lawsuits is based entirely on misheard or outright manufactured stories. Won't somebody think of the poor zillion-dollar corporations having to give money to these greedy poors just because they got a little boo-boo and can't work anymore? :qq:

simplyhorribul posted:

I mean, I do understand sit-in restaurants/cafeterias, if the store is that big you could fit a mall innit. They have some of those stores in Finland that have in-store cafeteria to have coffee, donut, even meals if you get tired of shopping. Families seem to use this tactic a lot with their tired offsprings, when they need new clothes or stuff for cheap and you have to do the groceries at the same time.

But then again, you pay those stuff before shoving them in your mouth hole, so not the quite same deal then.

When I worked at a grocery store it was always really funny when a person would eat a banana or apple while they were shopping and then be utterly baffled at the fact that they were sold by weight rather than by item so there was no way to accurately charge them for it.

Ghilz
Jun 15, 2007
In confusion there is opportunity

Also it'll tip over at the slightest vibration and burn your home down.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It varies by jurisdiction. Here (rural Midwest university town), once it's in the toter, it's property of the trash company. Of course, nobody's going to prosecute you for digging out your kid's retainer or whatever accidentally got thrown away--it's so the local police can quietly get permission from the company to search the toter for illegal stuff (here in the rural Midwest 100% of the time they're looking for evidence of a meth lab).

In most places in Minnesota it has to leave your property to be available for dumpster diving. People that keep their bins on the curb have given up their rights. People that keep them on their side of the property line have not. I've had cops come to my office to discuss illegal dumping/rummaging. Alleys are public, driveways are private.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Ghilz posted:

Also it'll tip over at the slightest vibration and burn your home down.

Lifehack: If you hate someone, slip a chunk of crayon into their pocket so it ruins a load of laundry.