Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, art shift wasn't that bad but it was a definite downgrade.

No, yeah, i totally get that they legit could've made it happen in-universe, just the fact that we go from textual pokemon reference to pokemon fanart to a slightly blurred screen from red or blue is strange in a good really strange way.

I honestly just assumed Reed built a super computer exclusively for games, like with ten OS running at the same time somehow to natively play old and new stuff and emulate whatever else. Then Valeria created the drives so the PS4 controllers can work on it and, like a good Richards, doesn't put them out for the world that needs them the most. Now I kinda want Reed to put up Galactus Simulator for the Oculus Rift, except no computer outside that building has the specs to run it.

Oh, so the same specs as Witcher 3, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, according to Bleeding Cool (so skepticism is a healthy response), Renew Your Vows is apparently getting more advance orders than the third issue of Secret Wars proper-and that's not factoring in variant covers.

I guess some people do want to read about a married Spider-Man after all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, according to Bleeding Cool (so skepticism is a healthy response), Renew Your Vows is apparently getting more advance orders than the third issue of Secret Wars proper-and that's not factoring in variant covers.

Axel Alonso: "Hey, Dan's Spider-Man thing is selling boat-loads! Guess we should give him that record-breaking run on the book he wants and free reign to tell his stories!"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
"It must be Dan I mean people can't just want the marriage back right?"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"Take notes: teasing the marriage means sales. Which means we can't have the marriage back because we wouldn't be able to tease it anymore."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Amazing Spider-Man is usually one of Marvel's best selling books, and isn't Renew Your Vows the replacement book? That doesn't really surprise me at all.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Slott follows the Jeph Loeb stategy of getting on a book that will sell regardless of creative team and using it to justify his staying on it by pointing to the strong sales.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Expressively so, yes. Every interview about it has him going how you can't give people what they want or some cheap bullshit.

Man what happened. I remember long ago reading about Spider-Man getting a sweet dune buggy and doing donuts on the side of the Daily Bugle and thinking "Yes, this is what I want from my comic books." And now we just have...this.

I have a theory that when any creator gets to a certain level of popularity/success, they flip a coin. Heads they go directly up their own rear end, tails they hate everything they've ever done but are weirdly possessive of it.

Very very rarely the coin lands on it's side and they are freed from the curse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Comic fans flip that coin when they register on a message board.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Yinlock posted:

Man what happened. I remember long ago reading about Spider-Man getting a sweet dune buggy and doing donuts on the side of the Daily Bugle and thinking "Yes, this is what I want from my comic books." And now we just have...this.

I have a theory that when any creator gets to a certain level of popularity/success, they flip a coin. Heads they go directly up their own rear end, tails they hate everything they've ever done but are weirdly possessive of it.

Very very rarely the coin lands on it's side and they are freed from the curse.

John Byrne's coin is still being examined by scientist as it constantly oscillates to whatever would cause him to be the shittiest human being at the moment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

John Byrne's coin is still being examined by scientist as it constantly oscillates to whatever would cause him to be the shittiest human being at the moment.

So the team they dispatched did succeed in removing it from up his rear end?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The day John discovers the discrete endoscope will be a dark day.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh god, Dan Slott is going to give li'l Annie powers.

Who wants to bet she's the new Spider-Girl in 616? Explains why Mayday & Anya have been booted out of prominence.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't see any Annie, just some begoggled girl of mystery. :confused:

(Yes, that's possibly the plan, but that cover is adorable)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Who wants to bet she's the new Spider-Girl in 616? Explains why Mayday & Anya have been booted out of prominence.

I dunno, the majority of people not caring about them seems to be the most likely reason.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Deadpool posted:

I dunno, the majority of people not caring about them seems to be the most likely reason.

You have spoken the forbidden words and doomed us all to drown in a sea of words posted about how important and interesting they both are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm just glad Anya no longer has Panda Delgado's haircut.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Spider-verse was pretty fun and interesting. Art was kinda wonky at times, tho.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Yvonmukluk posted:

There something I just love about that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Doctor Octopus decided he needed to take over a younger Parker to allow him more time to prove himself the SUPERIOR Spider-Person.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Doctor Octopus decided he needed to take over a younger Parker to allow him more time to prove himself the SUPERIOR Spider-Person.

"Now that I am adorable, no one will dare attempt to stop me!"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh god, Dan Slott is going to give li'l Annie powers.

Oh no, not the cool Beetle! drat you Annie! drat you!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Deadpool posted:

They could have just not used them, rather than be dicks about it and throw them out like garbage.

Why do comics writers feel the need to always scorch the loving earth if a character doesn't become an A-Lister out the gate?

mr.capps posted:

Oh no, not the cool Beetle! drat you Annie! drat you!
All shall love her and despair!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

They could have just not used them, rather than be dicks about it and throw them out like garbage.

Why do comics writers feel the need to always scorch the loving earth if a character doesn't become an A-Lister out the gate?

Where did they throw them out like garbage? I just read a book that came out yesterday with Anya in it. And Mayday was all over Spider-Verse.

Also both characters had their chance and ultimately failed. Mayday in particular had more chances than almost any other character I can think of and ultimately people just didn't care about her. And how many times have they tried to shove Anya in a book and revamp her. The only time it even kind of worked was Avengers Academy. And I even like Anya but I recognize most people don't give a poo poo about her.

We all have less popular characters we love that get shafted because nobody else cares about them. I don't whine every time a writer brings in Darkhawk and sticks him in a lovely role. I'm just glad someone remembered him besides me and enjoy seeing him.

When a character that didn't connect is brought back you should always try to do something new with them. If you just bring them back the same as they were when nobody cared about them odds are nobody will care for them again and back to obscurity they go.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I've noticed this with a lot of books/characters/fandoms in comics recently, there is a very simple rule of "publishers should put out the books I like but not the books I don't like" which is a perfectly valid desire for every individual. It's when someone decides they don't like something, it can very easily turn into a weird Catch-22. (This applies only for comics declared bad, usually in about two sentences)

First off, if you're bringing back a character someone else created, you'd better not! Why are you stealing your better's creation, and either loving IT ALL UP by altering something, or just doing a cheap hack ripoff of the original? Ugh!

On the other hand, God help you if you create a new legacy character to fill a similar niche/name. Why are you ignoring the earlier, better character? Why are you giving a giant gently caress you to me, the guy who liked the other character better? Where do you get off, thinking you can create a new version of a character?

And if you create a wholly new character... what sort of Mary Sue self-insert chump motherfucker are YOU? You have the gall to think your 'original character' has any place in this book? You think anyone wants to use your garbage ideas? Stick to writing things you already know work, champ. Except don't do that either.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 21, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That is absolutely true, and I've fallen prey myself once or twice. The stuff with the 'bringing back/legacy' stuff is that it's always going to be frustrating, even if as Deadpool pointed out, it's rational from a business sense, when a character or story or concept you liked a lot is brought back/replaced with something that's called the same name, but missing a lot of the things you liked.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

I've noticed this with a lot of books/characters/fandoms in comics recently, there is a very simple rule of "publishers should put out the books I like but not the books I don't like" which is a perfectly valid desire for every individual. It's when someone decides they don't like something, it can very easily turn into a weird Catch-22. (This applies only for comics declared bad, usually in about two sentences)

First off, if you're bringing back a character someone else created, you'd better not! Why are you stealing your better's creation, and either loving IT ALL UP by altering something, or just doing a cheap hack ripoff of the original? Ugh!

On the other hand, God help you if you create a new legacy character to fill a similar niche/name. Why are you ignoring the earlier, better character? Why are you giving a giant gently caress you to me, the guy who liked the other character better? Where do you get off, thinking you can create a new version of a character?

And if you create a wholly new character... what sort of Mary Sue self-insert chump motherfucker are YOU? You have the gall to think your 'original character' has any place in this book? You think anyone wants to use your garbage ideas? Stick to writing things you already know work, champ. Except don't do that either.
Sine I'm probably the main offender here (sorry for that-I tend to get overly invested in C-and D-listers) I feel I should make some counterpoints.

I think I should start with where I'm coming from. Basically, I believe any character can be a good character given the opportunity). So event comics where they kill off or otherwise mess with established characters just to get people rage buying is my personal bugbear.

a) The issue isn't usually just using a character someone else created, it's doing it badly. Slott used Spider-Girl very badly-her story had essentially ended-any further appearances were a bonus. So bringing her back for Spider-Verse would have probably been enough for most fans. But instead a lot of the things that made her popular or distinctive in the first place got flushed away-the fact he took over from the creative team that'd been working on the character for pretty much her whole existence (and expressed disapproval with the new direction) didn't help, not to mention he just walked away and left it to other writers to deal with. That's not to say only the original creators can ever use a character-I mean, Marjorie Liu's X-23 is probably the best that character's ever been written, for instance-but if a character's only being used for event fodder and the writer's, say, getting the character's narrative voice wrong literally on the first page of writing them, I tend to object.

b) I have no problem with legacies-Jaime Reyes is my Blue Beetle, for one thing. But while they did very much make Jaime his own character, they still acknowledge both Dan & Ted's legacies. If they just shove a new character into a role and shove their predecessor into either the fridge or limbo, that just raises the question of why you don't just make an original character (other than leeching off the name recognition). That's how we wound up with three Spider-Women.

c)Again, it's doing things BADLY that's usually the sticking point. Silk, when first introduced by Slott, was a bad character-she was tied right into Spidey's origin, they had that creepy 'pheromones' thing that made her & Peter attracted to each other, she apparently had better powers than Peter, and she felt like she was being pushed very strongly at Peter's expense. But everything I've heard about when she got her own book is that she became a lot more likeable. If you're making an original character in an established book, they shouldn't overshadow the guy who the readers are showing up to see.

I have no problem with using an old character, creating a legacy, or making a new one from whole cloth, just as long as it's done well.

Gaz-L posted:

That is absolutely true, and I've fallen prey myself once or twice. The stuff with the 'bringing back/legacy' stuff is that it's always going to be frustrating, even if as Deadpool pointed out, it's rational from a business sense, when a character or story or concept you liked a lot is brought back/replaced with something that's called the same name, but missing a lot of the things you liked.
Er...actually, what he said.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

So...Good comics good? Bad comics bad?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

So...Good comics good? Bad comics bad?

I disagree and think you're a mean poophead dummy! :mad:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Deadpool posted:

I don't whine every time a writer brings in Darkhawk and sticks him in a lovely role. I'm just glad someone remembered him besides me and enjoy seeing him.

I loved Darkhawk as a kid and I would love for him to get a new series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can imagine being a Speedball fan during Civil War probably felt unpleasant.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like New Warriors in general and find Speedball to be a fun character, but I didn't really mind what they did to him at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't care about Speedball and what they did was just awful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really hate the Loners and what it did to those characters.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

I can imagine being a Speedball fan during Civil War probably felt unpleasant.

It did, yes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

Sine I'm probably the main offender here (sorry for that-I tend to get overly invested in C-and D-listers) I feel I should make some counterpoints.

I think I should start with where I'm coming from. Basically, I believe any character can be a good character given the opportunity). So event comics where they kill off or otherwise mess with established characters just to get people rage buying is my personal bugbear.
To be clear I don't really like that either, I am ride-or-die for a whole ton of suspect characters, and if anything my biggest thing is that in general characters are pretty durable, in the sense that if someone comes along and really wants to bring a character back to their roots or revamp them in a good way or do whatever else, it will probably happen. Luke Cage was a jokey afterthought for close to twenty years before Bendis decided he really liked writing Luke Cage. If that character can come through the other side of people (still) mainly thinking of him as a Sweet Christmasing "where's my money honey" blaxpoitation buffoon, all of everyone's favorite characters -- from Mayday Parker to Chemistro to Hazmat to Speedball to Turner D. Century will eventually have their moment in the sun. I had pretty much given up on Monica Rambeau being anything but a source of yuks at her own expense from Warren Ellis, but now we have Mighty Avengers.

quote:

a) The issue isn't usually just using a character someone else created, it's doing it badly.
Right, and one man's trash is another man's treasure or whatever other canard you want to throw around. I have always loved Hawkeye, and I don't think Matt Fraction (or many other people in the past fifteen years) have done a very good job of writing Hawkeye to actually you know, be Hawkeye. He's a goofball with bows and arrows who is in some very pretty and sometimes entertaining comics, but he's not really Hawkeye. I don't think many writers or editors exist (though a few do) who set out to go "heh heh heh wait til those fans see how I gently caress up and totally mischaracterize Wyatt Wingfoot!" so I don't really see how this is any sort of guideline for creators. "Don't do a bad job" is really only advice if you think people are trying to do a bad job.

[quote[b) I have no problem with legacies-Jaime Reyes is my Blue Beetle, for one thing. But while they did very much make Jaime his own character, they still acknowledge both Dan & Ted's legacies. If they just shove a new character into a role and shove their predecessor into either the fridge or limbo, that just raises the question of why you don't just make an original character (other than leeching off the name recognition). That's how we wound up with three Spider-Women.[/quote]The only reason there's a Spider-Woman to begin with is because they had to shove a new character into the role of "Spider-Woman" and trademark it so CBS couldn't do a "Spider-Woman" TV show without paying Marvel anything. There were practically three different versions of Spider-Woman before they even settled on Jessica Drew in the status quo people are vaguely familiar with. Sometimes a character is shoved into a role because the corporation needs someone to have that name. It used to be that you could do that without worrying too much about how everything connected together like a James Burke special, but now it's basically expected. Jay Garrick and Barry Allen didn't really have anything to do with each other, Mar-Vell and Monica Rambeau came up with their names independently, and neither would have ever existed if someone didn't gently caress up and not renew Billy Batson's trademark.

Obviously having problems with how these things are handled are fine, and honestly you weren't the main offender here. It's more the sort of reflexive/tautological "This is a bad story because it hosed up this character" "How?" "The character got hosed up by appearing in a bad story" "What made the story bad?" "Um, because it hosed up this character?" fastpost stuff that bothers me, combined with the absolute explosion of cavalierly tossing around Mary Sue and fanfiction for anything resembling new characters with the rationale of "well I hear this book sucked and had a new character in it so um, DONUT STEEL SELF-INSERT MARY SUE UGH"

Again, no matter how much I disagree with someone, I think it's great for them to love/hate what they like so long as they just don't post "well no that sucks. because it sucks. you may think it doesn't suck, but it sucks. so therefore it sucks."

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 22, 2015

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Lurdiak posted:

I really hate the Loners and what it did to those characters.

Talk about the mixed bag of bringing back obscure characters. "Here's Julie Powers... and now she's Paris Hilton! Did you see that one coming???"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'll never forgive Loners for what it did to Phil Urich, or Dan Slott for choosing not to just ignore it like everyone else.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Personally, I enjoyed The Loners, but I also never read anything with them before except when they showed up in Runaways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Probably Magic posted:

Talk about the mixed bag of bringing back obscure characters. "Here's Julie Powers... and now she's Paris Hilton! Did you see that one coming???"

At least Avengers Academy made her likeable again :unsmith:.

• Locked thread