Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like when RPG combat requires low engagement so I can zone out while doing it, instead of actually paying attention and challenging myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

im uncomfortable with the way this conversation steered away from praising system shock 2

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thought experiment: What sort of games types/genres best define a decade, hypothetically? Like, what are the platonic ideals of a "Game from the XX era?" Working on a creative writing thing for shits and giggles, and realized that it's been long enough I don't remember the old days.

I was thinking this:

80s: Arcade Game
90s: 2D RPG or Early Shooter
00s: GTA Clone
10s: God Of War Clone
15s/Modern: High End FPS/Shooter Clone

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

i dunno "gears of war clone" might beat out gta clone in that category

also youre missing pixel platformer and rogue-lite

e: would 3d platformer (mario 64 to kazooie and then the clones) take 90s?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

precision posted:

How can an RPG be GOTY or even "good" if the combat is universally agreed upon to be "bad"? :confused:

What the...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Pixel platformer is one I considered for the 90s (may add another 'line' for the Mario/Megaman sort of stuff) but I'm kinda hewing more towards computer-based gaming than consoles.

Roguelikes strike me as a little less mainstream than I'm looking for.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 21, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

MisterBibs posted:

Thought experiment: What sort of games types/genres best define a decade, hypothetically? Like, what are the platonic ideals of a "Game from the XX era?" Working on a creative writing thing for shits and giggles, and realized that it's been long enough I don't remember the old days.

I was thinking this:

80s: Arcade Game
90s: 2D RPG or Early Shooter
00s: GTA Clone
10s: God Of War Clone
15s/Modern: High End FPS/Shooter Clone

if you're going for popularity 15s would be mobile, if you're not, I have no idea what you're doing and neither you do.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I think "mascot platformer" summarizes both the 2d and 3d platformers that dominated the 90s. Even the Xbox tried to launch a bunch of lovely cartoon mascots like Blinx the Time Sweeper and Voodoo Vince because that was just A Thing You Had To Do, the fact that their mascot wound up being Master Chief more or less signaled the end of that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MOBAs also. Everyone loves MOBAs. It is the age of the MOBA.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

80s/90s platformers
10s mobas
15s mobile games

program666
Aug 22, 2013

00s - counter strike clones
most decades - sports

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
2020s - virtual reality (the waifu age)

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

it puts the "I" in CGI

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

program666 posted:

if you're going for popularity 15s would be mobile, if you're not, I have no idea what you're doing and neither you do.

You're right; I'm trying to figure out how to articulate what I'm doing as I'm going along. You might've read it before I edited it, but I'm going mostly with a computer-based viewpoint.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

there is no way to answer this correctly but it's fun to mess around with
1993s: beat en ups
2009 to 2012: tween wave

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

1990s: the 90s
2000s: 2000s games
2010: post-2009 era

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

CJacobs posted:

2020s - virtual reality (the waifu age)

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

I'm very pinterested.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
hey all just trying to get more youtube exposure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOr4UMnm5CU i'm going to start an epic lp next month so be ready for that :)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I didn't like RDR. In my defence I didn't like it in the first few hours rather than the last few, but most of the game seemed to be driving to bullshit fetch quests for people who were really obviously stringing you along and very little actually being a cowboy out in the wilderness.

Honestly I think it's hard for open world games not to start showing their seams one way or another once you've been playing them a while, even genre classics like Morrowind have some pretty gaping issues unmodded.

You really should give RDR another look, it kinda quits that when you get to Mexico.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jon Do posted:

im uncomfortable with the way this conversation steered away from praising system shock 2

ss2 is actually garbage, sorry

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

StashAugustine posted:

ss2 is actually garbage, sorry

Getting irreparably stuck if you don't make the right the stat and weapon choices, the second half of the game being a rough copy-paste of the first, the weapon balance being borderline broken, and the progression being one prolonged elevator repair job padded out with keycard hunts don't count because I played it when I was 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLMk1E41kE&t=79s

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Sleeveless posted:

Getting irreparably stuck if you don't make the right the stat and weapon choices, the second half of the game being a rough copy-paste of the first, the weapon balance being borderline broken, and the progression being one prolonged elevator repair job padded out with keycard hunts don't count because I played it when I was 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLMk1E41kE&t=79s

waht the...

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
it's an extremely epic cooperative horror shooter supporting up to three other players... what the heck do you want... unreal?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The only way I can see getting like, completely stuck by making bad stat choices in SS2 is if you do some poo poo like boost your psi skill and spend your points on anything other than acutal psi powers. On Impossible.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
put all points into swimming.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

put all points into swimming.

even in deus ex this can work...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That would not seriously hurt you in Deus Ex, as Swimming doesn't cost a lot to raise.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
SS2 is a game I liked as a kid but I have zero interest in going back to. When it comes to even RPG-heavy shooters of today, it really hasn't aged too well.

I unironically want this to happen at the end of Half-Life 3, if it ever happens.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

MisterBibs posted:

You're right; I'm trying to figure out how to articulate what I'm doing as I'm going along. You might've read it before I edited it, but I'm going mostly with a computer-based viewpoint.

You can track specific genres better than picking a decade and asking "what games defined this decade?" And since you're looking particularly at PC games, one of interesting genres there were RTS'. They started meagerly in the early 90's with Dune, Warcraft, and C&C, and then exploded into popularity around 1996 and through the 2000's between WC2, Starcraft, WC3, countless lesser known games, and the glut of C&C sequels. And then by 2011 the genre utterly died, killed by genres it spawned like TD and MOBAs.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I recently finished System Shock 2 cause when it came out I only made it to Hydroponics. Despite its obvious flaws I still had a good time, in part because it's still scary/tense due to the great sound design and because I like the overall story a lot. Instead of being beaten over the head with some weird political ideology taken to its logical extreme like in the Bioshock series it's about people reacting to a very lovely situation, which I much prefer.

I wasn't aware when I beat the game but according to this post mortem the game was created in just 18 months under less than ideal circumstances, which explains a lot of the balance issues.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's sort of amazing that it came out well without any major mod assist. Bloodlines on the other hand had an extremely similar dev cycle in terms of time and money and could only be considered a good game once it got fan-patched in some extreme ways.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Alain Post posted:

It's not really that, it's more that video games (specifically action games which Witcher/TES/FPSRPGs superficially resemble) are skill-based, and marrying skill-based gameplay to stat-based gameplay is contentious. Like, an FPS is asking "are you good enough to mouse over this moving enemy and shoot him", while an RPG is asking "did you roll a high enough number to hit the enemy". Mix these together and you get poo poo like Morrowind.

Though, marrying skill with rpg elements got us Castlevania: SotN and other Igavanias. All of which own because if you're hardcore you can beat it without dicking around with rpg stuff. And if you're bad/lazy you can use the rpg stuff to help you beat the game.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

I like when RPG combat requires low engagement so I can zone out while doing it, instead of actually paying attention and challenging myself.

It's pretty good for mobile at least. I always tend to play old JRPGs on my phone when I'm out, and the gameplay allows you to pay attention to it and other stuff that's going on at the same time. Plus you don't really have a problem with the touchscreen controls because it's just you going through menus at your own pace.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like my rpgs like i like partners of my preferred gender: easy and made after 1999

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

i like my rpgs like i like partners of my preferred gender: easy and made after 1999
Ironic pedophilia... a powerful posting technique, that is definitely funny and okay, and not sad and creepy at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ironic pedophilia... a powerful posting technique, that is definitely funny and okay, and not sad and creepy at all.

Excuse me, when it's teenagers it's actually called

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Requesting a courtesy gas.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Requesting a courtesy gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002