Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

Young Adult Novel movies have been the most consistently entertaining bad movies recently

When aare we getting our sequel to The Giver, drat it!

Nobody liked the novel sequel to The Giver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Calico Heart posted:

Actually all these babby's first dystopia movies aimed at teens are great. I could watch a dozen more movies trying to desperately find a new stupid way to make society that just can't handle how unique you are, man

Haven't seen hunger games though because they're apparently okay

Would you say they're :mediocre:?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Holy poo poo who bought that.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Holy poo poo who bought that.

A saint. The gates of Valhalla are open to them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That image should be made to only display when you're using Chrome.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I still think this is the dumbest title.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

That's actually kinda cool :shobon:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I still think this is the dumbest title.

It sounds like a 30 year old Japanese puzzle game to me. Lode Runner. Spelunker. Maze Runner.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Calico Heart posted:

Young Adult Novel movies have been the most consistently entertaining bad movies recently

At least as far back as 2003 (Please see if this is still on Netflix ASAP if you haven't seen it yet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdjShe0ouiw

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Arnold is a robot? Man, they really are spoiling everything in that movie!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I would like this more if his insides were chocolate

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Neo Rasa posted:

At least as far back as 2003 (Please see if this is still on Netflix ASAP if you haven't seen it yet):

This is the best Wrinkle in Time movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhsCCQrCNAs

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mr.capps posted:

I would like this more if his insides were chocolate

I count myself lucky that I did a GIS for "chocolate terminator" and this was what came up. Could've been much worse.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Guns are impervious to x-ray thats why people can bring them onto planes

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I mainlined this entire thread over two weeks, what is wrong with me. :psyduck:

I have this poster rolled up in a tube somewhere:

Simple and to the point. Plus: Hirschfeld. :allears:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is apparently a comedy about a chef. Not that the poster tells you much except that Bradley Cooper is a really handsome dude. I mean, he's just sitting there. At least make him hold a skillet and a knife in a really attractive manner or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know, I got chef right away.

Not comedy though. Maybe he could be throwing a pie?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The MSJ posted:

This is apparently a comedy about a chef. Not that the poster tells you much except that Bradley Cooper is a really handsome dude. I mean, he's just sitting there. At least make him hold a skillet and a knife in a really attractive manner or something.

Looks super funny.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I can see chef, he's wearing a chef uniform. Unless it's a relatively low-key comedy I'm not seeing that aspect, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maybe it's a comedy inspired by Jeanne Dielman and it's three hours of the Saturday night dinner shift.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The MSJ posted:

Is he playing in Kitchen Confidential character again?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I got 'chef' only because the outfit combined with the pose gave sort of a Gordon Ramsay look.

I'd probably watch a movie about a Gordon Ramsay character. Bradely Cooper looks way too nice for that, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think it's zoomed in just far enough to make it somewhat unclear if it's a chef outfit or just a white shirt. The color palette also definitely screams "fashion ad".

Whether there's a reason for all this, I don't know.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Bradley Cooper is Adam Jones"

Yes, and who is Adam Jones that I should watch this movie?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I think he's a chef. On Mars.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Bradley Cooper is controversial and troubled NFL cornerback Adam "PacMan" Jones.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

quote:

Plot

A chef, Adam Jones (Bradley Cooper), assembles a crew together in an attempt to create the best restaurant ever.

Wow, sounds enthralling.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That sucks. Everyone knows you need to make a movie for each crew member first,

Seriously, though, I hope that description means this is another remake of Seven Samurai.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The MSJ posted:

Seriously, though, I hope that description means this is another remake of Seven Samurai.

That would be Antoine Fuqua's Magnificent Seven.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

I really hate this trend. So many movies and poo poo with just some character name like I'm supposed to know who the gently caress they are. That might work for Marvel but you can't just make a movie called Joe McGuy and expect people to give a poo poo. The cover is, like here, almost always just the star standing there too, giving you no further hint as to what the hell it's about.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It actually sounds like marketers taking the wrong lesson from Marvel/DC/Film Franchise characters who often come with long-standing relevance in the pop culture sphere and trying to establish a new film protagonist/potential franchise the same way. It comes across as arrogant as hell at best and tone-deaf at worst.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mind the walrus posted:

It actually sounds like marketers taking the wrong lesson from Marvel/DC/Film Franchise characters who often come with long-standing relevance in the pop culture sphere and trying to establish a new film protagonist/potential franchise the same way. It comes across as arrogant as hell at best and tone-deaf at worst.

I can sort of understand Universal doing it with Dracula/etc. since they were straight up doing that in the forties/fifties anyway. But they failed three times in a row to make people care in modern times. Their first attempt was Van Helsing. Then The Wolf Man with Benicio del Toro, then again with Dracula Untold. Now ANOTHER Wolf Man reboot is happening to line up with Dracula Untold.

Now I'm not even saying that's a bad idea, obviously Dracula, etc. are like the penultimate long standing relevance in pop culture characters. But have any of you seen Dracula Untold? Holy poo poo. I think Van Helsing is almost better because it's at last laughable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was more referring specifically to posters that show an actor playing some character like, I don't know, Mordecai or whatever that Johnny Depp poo poo was and expecting said character to be instantly iconic the same way shoving Spider-Man onto a movie poster in 2001 was, even though Spider-Man at the time was a character with half a century of pop culture relevance.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'm complaining about poo poo like this:

One of those is a well liked movie, but just looking at these covers, good luck figuring out which. The main dude's name in a random-rear end action movie is like the least important part, I don't see why this is a trend (Bourne, I guess).

John Carter is also an interesting wrinkle on this theme. Also odd how often it's a J name.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
No doubt, those titles are very generic and you have to be familiar with the movie to recognize them. John Wick and Jack Reacher are great though, but could've used better titles. I'm actually struggling to think of another title for John Wick, though they could've had a good tagline for it, like "don't set him off" or something. There is a fan poster where his tie is a burning fuse which should've been the real poster. The spanish title of it is "Sin Control", which can be read as "without control" or "out of control".

Jack Reacher could've been a combo title using the book name, like "Jack Reacher: One Shot" or "One Shot: The Jack Reacher Archives" or something. And John Carter should've been "John Carter and the Princess of Mars". That would've gotten more butts in seats than what they got.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Maybe it's a comedy inspired by Jeanne Dielman and it's three hours of the Saturday night dinner shift.

As a waiter I would watch this in a heartbeat.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

effectual posted:

And John Carter should've been "John Carter and the Princess of Mars". That would've gotten more butts in seats than what they got.

The original title was John Carter of Mars. They took out the "of Mars" from the title because they found that movies with "Mars" in the title underperformed. So now we got a movie that's set on Mars but named after some guy instead, and look how well that did!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

effectual posted:

No doubt, those titles are very generic and you have to be familiar with the movie to recognize them. John Wick and Jack Reacher are great though, but could've used better titles. I'm actually struggling to think of another title for John Wick, though they could've had a good tagline for it, like "don't set him off" or something. There is a fan poster where his tie is a burning fuse which should've been the real poster. The spanish title of it is "Sin Control", which can be read as "without control" or "out of control".

Jack Reacher could've been a combo title using the book name, like "Jack Reacher: One Shot" or "One Shot: The Jack Reacher Archives" or something. And John Carter should've been "John Carter and the Princess of Mars". That would've gotten more butts in seats than what they got.

At least put a THEY KILLED HIS DOG...NOW HE'LL KILL THEM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Cacator posted:

The original title was John Carter of Mars. They took out the "of Mars" from the title because they found that movies with "Mars" in the title underperformed. So now we got a movie that's set on Mars but named after some guy instead, and look how well that did!

It was mostly due to Mars Needs Moms iirc.