Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I've been playing this game called Vega Conflict lately, which is something like clash of clans, but it shows you enemy bases on a large map and lets you choose who you attack. Are there any other games like this that aren't awful?

I'm really enjoying Plunder Pirates, this thread got me hooked on it about a month ago and I've been playing it steadily ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, is there any way that we can all play Galaxy Trucker together? Can you add specific people? Is it a G+ thing?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Geektox posted:

As hilarious as Game of War jokes are, the game is nothing like that, more of an Evony clone (in more ways than one).

Does it have to be spaceships and poo poo? If not Boom Beach and Plunder Pirates both fit the bill of CoC-clone.

I honestly thought it was a lovely looking Clash of Clans.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Geektox posted:

As hilarious as Game of War jokes are, the game is nothing like that, more of an Evony clone (in more ways than one).

Does it have to be spaceships and poo poo? If not Boom Beach and Plunder Pirates both fit the bill of CoC-clone.

It's not so much the spaceships I'm looking for. The overworld map makes a big difference though, it lets you work with allies to attack or defend a base and your location relative to friends or enemies matters a lot. Adds a little depth for me over CoC clones.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Anyone hankering for some SkiFree action on their phone should check out Skiing Yeti Mountain. Its pretty fun, though I haven't seen any yetis yet.

The game is free, with a no-ads IAP that also helps the Nepal earthquake relief effort.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 21, 2015

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

Mr. Owl posted:

Carcassonne meets FTL.
FTFY.

Who else is stoked for Capitals? It looks like Boggle with area of control mechanics.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
For everyone wishing that they could play a Star Trek match 3 game: Star Trek - Wrath of Gems (from the same folks who brought you that Forrest Gump endless runner).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

mrkillboy posted:

For everyone wishing that they could play a Star Trek match 3 game: Star Trek - Wrath of Gems (from the same folks who brought you that Forrest Gump endless runner).

Why is it that Trek games since like 2004 are required to be awful? :smith:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Drone posted:

Why is it that Trek games since like 2004 are required to be awful? :smith:

Hasn't Star Trek been some level of awful since around then? Voyager and DS9 were done, the movies were great action flicks but missed the mark on what made the show inspirational... Enterprise? (Never watched it.)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Hasn't Star Trek been some level of awful since around then? Voyager and DS9 were done, the movies were great action flicks but missed the mark on what made the show inspirational... Enterprise? (Never watched it.)

Enterprise was just thoroughly mediocre. The last good Trek game were around the time of Elite Force, so early 2000s. Since then it's just been crap.

And there's never been a good mobile game with the license -- now it seems like CBS is going the Games Workshop route and just letting any fly-by-night mobile developer have access to the IP to make a quick buck.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Star Trek Online is alright

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Dodoman posted:

Star Trek Online is alright

It gets old after a while, but it was a blast for a time. I just enjoyed having full control over the body sliders of the crew and staffing every position with giant breasted alien women. Kirk would have been proud.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Not feeling this Galaxy Truckers game. Building your ship seems to be half the game. The actual adventure portion feels very short and unsatisfying. Had it refunded.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I didn't like it either.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aw drat, sorry to hear that. Maybe I like it a lot because I'm used to the actual, physical game, and thought the digital version translated it very well. I'm so-so on the campaign that this version introduced, but I love jumping in to a quick game.

When you build the perfect ship and have a great run, that keeps you coming back for more. When you build the perfect ship and it still all goes to poo poo, that's just funny.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ariza posted:

What games would you compare it to?

Kind of Carcassone-ish with some light RPG/adventure type stuff.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Apogee15 posted:

I didn't like it either.

Yeah. Didn't care for it either

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah I kinda cringe when I see it heavily promoted here, but since there's a bandwagon now.. I thought it was lovely too. Regret spending money on it, but it was Home Depot Fun Bux, so meh..

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I get a lot of surveys from google. Right now I have a bit over $16 in my account from it. I probably get 1-2 $.50+ surveys a week.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I kinda cringe when I see it heavily promoted here, but since there's a bandwagon now.. I thought it was lovely too. Regret spending money on it, but it was Home Depot Fun Bux, so meh..

It's a fantasic recreation of the board game, but the board game itself is a bit divisive (as are most of Vlaada's games). For people who it resonates with, it's a great game, and for others it's awful.

Just got the water park survey today, incidentally.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dirk the Average posted:

It's a fantasic recreation of the board game, but the board game itself is a bit divisive (as are most of Vlaada's games). For people who it resonates with, it's a great game, and for others it's awful.

Just got the water park survey today, incidentally.

Galaxy Trucker is a great board game... Maybe not a good mobile game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Exmond posted:

Galaxy Trucker is a great board game... Maybe not a good mobile game.

It just isn't the same if you and your friends can't slap each other over the Best Part.

mrkillboy posted:

Anyone hankering for some SkiFree action on their phone should check out Skiing Yeti Mountain. Its pretty fun, though I haven't seen any yetis yet.

The game is free, with a no-ads IAP that also helps the Nepal earthquake relief effort.

Have you encountered a yeti yet? I'm like 70 slopes deep and haven't.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Double posting but gently caress whichever one of you suggested Crossme. It's hell on my phones battery and I can't stop playing it.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Len posted:

Double posting but gently caress whichever one of you suggested Crossme. It's hell on my phones battery and I can't stop playing it.

Probably me. Don't worry, you'll get bored of solving 30x50 puzzles eventually.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

the littlest prince posted:

Probably me. Don't worry, you'll get bored of solving 30x50 puzzles eventually.

Yeah the bigger ones are a pain in the rear end. Having to zoom in and out and I have trouble picking out the mistake sometimes.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I have 24 bucks in survey money and no idea what to spend it on.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Flaggy posted:

I have 24 bucks in survey money and no idea what to spend it on.

Ive never tried but you csn probably buy a movie or 2 with your surveybux (tm)

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
And books. I highly recommend The Martian or Ready Player One.

Or get sucked into a freemium game and buy some IAPs.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ready Player One is absolute dogshit

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

True fact.

Desktop Dungeons will have an Android release for $10 on the 28th.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Oh poo poo, rogue-like throw down. Sproggiwood comes out then too, also for 10bux

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

BOO THIS MAN

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Oh poo poo, rogue-like throw down. Sproggiwood comes out then too, also for 10bux

I've been playing the beta if Sproggiwood, and it's a perfect port. Not surprised, since the game was kind of meant for mobile.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Eh, it does get pretty far up its own rear end. That said, I enjoyed it anyway. The Martian, however, is great all around.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've been playing the beta if Sproggiwood, and it's a perfect port. Not surprised, since the game was kind of meant for mobile.

So let's say I'm only willing to pay for one. Sproggiwood?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

So let's say I'm only willing to pay for one. Sproggiwood?

That's a really loving tough one. Flip a coin and plan to get back to the other one later.

TLDR: Both are great, Sproggi is a great poop game, DD is a great laying in bed game.

Sproggi is more of a slimmed down traditional roguelike whereas Desktop Dungeon is essentially a puzzle game with rogue-like inspiration.

I think Sproggi is a better poop game. Desktop Dungeons can be really brutally challenging. You really need to focus on a full strategy for each time you hit a dungeon. Part of what the initial "marketing" was for Desktop Dungeons was that it was bite sized, but it's really only a quick/easy game of you want to lose. You have to think about who to attack, what order to take out the enemies, and how to exploit your abilities to maximize your xp generation. It can be a serious mental workout.

Sproggi is also a tough game, but it's much simpler in that you don't need to agonize over just about every move. You've got a really specific toolset for each character, so you really only need to think about which ability to use in each situation. It's more forgiving about making mistakes and I'd say that it's overall much more "fun".

They're both great games.

:effort:

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 23, 2015

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Ready player one is a very lovely young adult power fantasy. Like really really bad.

I guess if you have nostalgia for the 80's you might like all the references to rush and old video games... But the writing is just terrible, and all the characters are obvious stereotypes.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

That's a really loving tough one. Flip a coin and plan to get back to the other one later.

TLDR: Both are great, Sproggi is a great poop game, DD is a great laying in bed game.

Sproggi is more of a slimmed down traditional roguelike whereas Desktop Dungeon is essentially a puzzle game with rogue-like inspiration.

I think Sproggi is a better poop game. Desktop Dungeons can be really brutally challenging. You really need to focus on a full strategy for each time you hit a dungeon. Part of what the initial "marketing" was for Desktop Dungeons was that it was bite sized, but it's really only a quick/easy game of you want to lose. You have to think about who to attack, what order to take out the enemies, and how to exploit your abilities to maximize your xp generation. It can be a serious mental workout.

Sproggi is also a tough game, but it's much simpler in that you don't need to agonize over just about every move. You've got a really specific toolset for each character, so you really only need to think about which ability to use in each situation. It's more forgiving about making mistakes and I'd say that it's overall much more "fun".

They're both great games.

:effort:

From the sheer look of the visuals, Sproggiwood looks like something I'd enjoy. Not that I'm into cutesy looking games, but I get frustrated easily with hardcore roguelikes, and I've had my eye on Sproggi on Steam for a while. If I can get it on my tablet and phone to play at the office, I'll call it a win.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

New Leaf posted:

From the sheer look of the visuals, Sproggiwood looks like something I'd enjoy. Not that I'm into cutesy looking games, but I get frustrated easily with hardcore roguelikes, and I've had my eye on Sproggi on Steam for a while. If I can get it on my tablet and phone to play at the office, I'll call it a win.

And its made by a goon, so you can get a good feel when playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Apogee15 posted:

Ready player one is a very lovely young adult power fantasy. Like really really bad.

I guess if you have nostalgia for the 80's you might like all the references to rush and old video games... But the writing is just terrible, and all the characters are obvious stereotypes.

Somebody else made a podcast that can explain how bad it is (spoilers galore).