Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MoraleHazard posted:

As crashes go, it could've been much worse, but I don't get how someone who not only goes over the double yellow multiple times, almost all the way to the white line on the opposite road doesn't just slow way the gently caress down and reassess.
Something I've learned from working at a bike shop is that some people can only learn the hard way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Something I've learned from working at a bike shop is that some people can only learn the hard way.

Something I've learned from riding a bike and having eyes is that most people don't learn at all and are basically really smart chimps who know which button does what on a motorcycle.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

That man looks very uncomfortable. Maybe it's his wallet in his back pocket?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Diesel power is so in keeping with the spirit of the KLR that I'd look upon it much more favourably if that's what the road bike came with.

agreed.

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/technology.html

These fuckers retain some of the original parts.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

M42 posted:

I've been feeling lovely about my riding skills lately, but then I watched this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEC-AanEl5Q

When I took the MSF course an instructor asked someone why they hit the brakes while turning and they said because they weren't going to make the corner. He told them "so turn harder" and that's what I thought of watching this video.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

KARMA! posted:

He's riding a large, heavy motorcycle slowly in loafers. It's guaranteed to be uncomfortable.

Last year I saw a guy really struggling with a HD or HD clone at slow speed. It looked like his crocs or flip-flops, I can't remember were contributing quite a bit to his poor control of the bike at slow speeds and even stopped. No foot support has to make it difficult to steady a 700+ lb motorcycle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's not that bad. For the most part physics is doing the work.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Do you really imagine that the sort of person dumb enough to wear sandals on a cruiser is going to have the wherewithal to put their foot in the right place to minimise work/lateral forces going through their ankle?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
When I ride big cruisers, I can't recall a situation where I needed to put any work or lateral forces through my ankles or boots or sandals or whatever. What do you think happens on one of those things, it tips all over the place and you have to wrestle it upright? Newsflash: that doesn't happen.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

KARMA! posted:

Mini tribute to David Letterman, who signed off last night. There's a clip of him actually riding this thing from a few years ago, which effectively places him closer to a chopper than Brian Williams ever was.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

clutchpuck posted:

When I ride big cruisers, I can't recall a situation where I needed to put any work or lateral forces through my ankles or boots or sandals or whatever.

Because you're not a dumbass, was the point I was trying to make.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Your bigger problem will be burning your ankle.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Physics helps when one is moving, of course, but at walking speeds and stopped a heavy bike is still a heavy bike.

Maybe it's just me, but if I have to move a bunch of heavy stuff, like heavy boxes or furniture or whatever, choice of footwear seems to matter. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's noticeable. :shrug:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
You just gotta dig them toes deep into your flipflops to get traction.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What I'm saying is that it doesn't really matter how heavy a bike is with regard to steadying it. Heavier might even be easier to a point - more mass up high away from the lean axis reduces angular acceleration, sort of like a balance pole for a tightrope walker. When I idle a 800lb bike, I just sit there being lazy, it's no different than how I handle my 450lb bike or my 215lb bike. If it's up, it's weightless.

The thing an 800lb bike likely has, which would be beneficial for sandals, is a heel shifter :v:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

What I'm saying is that it doesn't really matter how heavy a bike is with regard to steadying it. Heavier might even be easier to a point - more mass up high away from the lean axis reduces angular acceleration, sort of like a balance pole for a tightrope walker. When I idle a 800lb bike, I just sit there being lazy, it's no different than how I handle my 450lb bike or my 215lb bike. If it's up, it's weightless.

The thing an 800lb bike likely has, which would be beneficial for sandals, is a heel shifter :v:

What about tight turns at walking speeds, like parking lot turns etc? The guy I saw who struggling was doing that.

Also if you're wearing motor sandals, you don't need a heel shifter. :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

Mini tribute to David Letterman, who signed off last night. There's a clip of him actually riding this thing from a few years ago, which effectively places him closer to a chopper than Brian Williams ever was.

:drat:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

agreed.

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/technology.html

These fuckers retain some of the original parts.

The fact that it set a higher top speed than the factory KLR tells me everything I need to know.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
CA True Confessions: I was wearing loafers exactly like that when I got crossed up on a pair of oil slicks in a perfect shitstorm of a Michigan u-turn. That bit of stupidity took me out of the game and from these pages for at least a couple seasons. My left foot still acts up occasionally.

You can keep a bike balanced in ballerina slippers if you care to--but they're not very useful when you're trying to pirouette off of an out of control bike and away from the traffic on your six.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

"heat resistant"

They've never tried it on a Buell.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MoraleHazard posted:

What about tight turns at walking speeds, like parking lot turns etc? The guy I saw who struggling was doing that.

Also if you're wearing motor sandals, you don't need a heel shifter. :v:

Unrelated but any mention of Bata (who are now based in India which is probably why someone made that artifacted horror) reminds me that when they were based in south London they used an old WWI air raid siren as their factory whistle, which caused lots of fun from 1939 onwards (they refused to change it until 1942).

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sumos gonna Sumo. :haw:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.803946,-116.936319,3a,75y,119.85h,67.14t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1seASr0el-fHUvijHNZUwsYw!2e0

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
This is my girlfriend's first biek. She has a little bit of dirt experience so we got her a dual sport. The SP125 has one of the lowest seat heights I've ever seen for what it is. When she outgrows it I'm gonna throw a LT230 cam, cylinder, and a Carillo piston in it.

We bought it in pretty rough shape for next to nothing so I threw a bunch of parts at it and converted it to 12 volts for LED signals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yerok posted:

This is my girlfriend's first biek. She has a little bit of dirt experience

:quagmire:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

I did that when I saw a Google streetview car a few years ago but I guess it wasn't active at the time as I never showed up on Google maps :(

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7gV197u_F0

This year she finally "got" bieks and she is kicking rear end. We rode for a long time yesterday. My only instructions were don't go too fast but don't go too slow and stay in our yard. She could go anywhere she wanted and do anything she wanted as long as she was having fun.

So she decided she wanted to ride around and hit jumps and just do her thing.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

EX250 Type R posted:

This year she finally "got" bieks and she is kicking rear end.

That's awesome; it's cool that she's getting into riding.
I need to get out of the Big City for the sake of the Children.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If only you lived in Baltimore!

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

I can't wait until my kids are old enough to get on some motorized 2 wheelers. Probably going to one of those electric Osets in a year or two.

http://osetbikes.com/us/oset-bikes-en-US/oset-12-5-racing-en-US/

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Watsabi posted:

I can't wait until my kids are old enough to get on some motorized 2 wheelers. Probably going to one of those electric Osets in a year or two.

http://osetbikes.com/us/oset-bikes-en-US/oset-12-5-racing-en-US/

Start them out when they're really little on balance bikes. That way by the time you're ready for motorcycles they'll already have the basics of riding on two wheels down.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

This year she finally "got" bieks and she is kicking rear end. We rode for a long time yesterday. My only instructions were don't go too fast but don't go too slow and stay in our yard. She could go anywhere she wanted and do anything she wanted as long as she was having fun.

This is great! Kids are one of those things that I never, ever want but can totally understand other people wanting.

Too close to the ramp for a decent run-up. Solution: pin the throttle.

Tells dog to move. Dog doesn't move. Solution: pin the throttle :getin:

A good child.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Her confidence in herself builds exponentially faster than my nerves can handle. The other day she was ripping through mud and puddles, passed her 7 year old uncle on his Kawasaki 3spd, and was hauling rear end meanwhile I am on my bike doing all I can not to have a heart attack.

Yesterday, I started the bike, she got on and the first thing she did was go straight for the plywood ramp. She is def an Animal

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
So awesome :3:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Yup, She's my hero.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Remind her to wear her gloves. :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Owns so much

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

builds character posted:

Start them out when they're really little on balance bikes. That way by the time you're ready for motorcycles they'll already have the basics of riding on two wheels down.

+1. I built one for my son, he fooled around on it for a couple of months then we got him the two wheeler with training wheels, which he only used for a week or so. Not a brag, but he can ride circles around his friends (who didn't have balance bikes). He had to learn pedal positioning way early because he kept dragging the inside pedal gettin' his lean on.

Pic, because that's this thread:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
EX250 Type R- I've been catching up on this thread and keep seeing your kid owning bones. Gotta commend you on being an awesome parent, and your small rider just absolutely killing it.

Today I had a 2015 r1 pull up behind me and was struck by the headlight, running light, and directional profile. I don't normally go in for their styling, but I love what they did with it. It's really great to see manufacturers taking advantage of the design freedoms compact LED's can afford. I'm sure this exact thing has been discussed many times already, but this is what I'm talking about, though in person the main lights seemed round;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I appreciate going away from norms but the R1 is hideous TO ME. I just really can't get over the side view, and all the empty space on the "forehead."

Actually after looking at it again, the whole drat thing is ugly. Just so much going on everywhere, way too many lines, and to much paint/stickers.