Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

How in the world do people think upgrading an iPhone 4 to iOS 7 and an iPhone 6 from 8.0 to 8.3 is the same thing?

And for two people who have traditionally used individual iTunes accounts, Family Sharing is really good. It gets a lot of poo poo for some reason, but I set it up for my wife and I last year and it has always worked great. Plus I get to see when she buys something ridiculous like Candy Crush gold.

It's not most people's job to know the nuances of which updates might wreck performance or not

It's obvious that a phone you bought this year should continue to work great with updates, but I'm sure there a lot of people that all they know is "once I updated my old iPhone and then it was slow unusable poo poo forever, so i'm not gonna install updates any more" and I don't really blame them for that.

Education is the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Anyone deep enough in to the development part of iOS know how to resign an ipa to a different account?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

Anyone deep enough in to the development part of iOS know how to resign an ipa to a different account?

Here's a script that will do it for you.

https://gist.github.com/mediabounds/1367348

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

There's merit to not updating, if your phone is more than 2 years old.
There's not.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Except when new versions run like poo poo on old hardware. My girlfriend has a 4S and iOS 8 runs AWFUL on it, and of course there's no way to downgrade.
iOS 8 runs fine on a 4S.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly if you're not gonna acknowledge how lovely ios 7 runs on the 4 or how lovely ios 6 runs on the 3gs you're just out of your head. I can concede that it's gotten better for "less old" phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Honestly if you're not gonna acknowledge how lovely ios 7 runs on the 4 or how lovely ios 6 runs on the 3gs you're just out of your head. I can concede that it's gotten better for "less old" phones.

No one is saying that's not the case. Everyone is saying iOS 8.3 runs at least as well as 8.1 on an iPhone 6 and there's no reason not to update.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

~Coxy posted:

Keeping your phone on the old OS is a perfectly cromulent strategy if you're happy with its current list of apps.

I've never seen someone misuse 'cromulent' until now. Good job.

Unless your point is that plenty of people do it, in which case that doesn't make it any less or more intelligent.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm having a couple iTunes Match related issues:

Last night I went to a concert where the band was playing one of their EPs in its entirety, so I wanted to listen to the EP on the drive there. The entire thing played fine except for one song from it, my favorite song on it, which played for about 10 seconds and then refused to play past that.

Then afterwards, I tried listening to the new album by a different band, which I added to iTunes Match earlier that day and it said it uploaded fine. But whenever I tried to play the album on my phone, it would crash the music app. Selecting any individual song from the album does this too. I tried playing another album by that same band and it worked perfectly fine, so I'm guessing that's just an isolated thing.

There's nothing wrong with the files on my computer when I add them to iTunes Match because I preview them first and they work fine.

Also shuffling my library seems to work fine, but it also never shuffled to any of the problem songs in question either so I don't know if those would play through shuffle or not.

But is there a way to check the integrity of my iTunes Match library and fix errors or something like that? It worries me that most of my music works fine but a song here or an album there just will not play properly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Will this let you do something like take an old version of, say, Facebook that you still have, resign it as another iTunes account, and then install it on another phone?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

I've never seen someone misuse 'cromulent' until now. Good job.

Unless your point is that plenty of people do it, in which case that doesn't make it any less or more intelligent.

It's an intelligent strategy because updating is a risk every time.
And let's face it, most updates don't actually add much of note to old devices.

The primary "benefit" to users is that they allow you to run the latest versions of apps.

----

Apple is lazy about supporting old devices.
Developers are lazy about supporting old OSes. Certainly Apple doesn't make their job very easy.

We have a situation where a large number of apps will only support the latest OS major version. A lot of the time they only support the latest OS minor version.

The only way this will change is if a larger proportion of devices are running older OS versions.
This is starting to change for a couple of reasons, although it's probably due mostly to a lack of free space on people's phones.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 22, 2015

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I don't know if this thread is a tech support thread per se but anyway, I had issue with my iphone 6 pairing to my car (Honda Accord) using Handsfreelink. It was never a problem when I had a 5, I mean occasionally it would default to iphone but usually I could switch it back

if I make a phone call from my iphone it simply wont go to the handsfreelink in my car, no matter how many times I try to force it. However when I get phone calls from people it almost always goes to handsfreelink just fine. Any ideas?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Will this let you do something like take an old version of, say, Facebook that you still have, resign it as another iTunes account, and then install it on another phone?

No. I thought the poster was asking about resigning an ipa for in-house distribution with an enterprise certificate.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

He probably was, but thanks for clearing that up.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
How many additional hundreds can I sell my iPhone 6 for if it has Shred Session on it

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bought the new dock. Boy, the phone sure sits oddly on it. Like hovering over it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

smackfu posted:

Bought the new dock. Boy, the phone sure sits oddly on it. Like hovering over it.

Is it heavy enough to remove the phone from it one-handed?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nope, definitely not. It has enough weight to stay in one place with the cable pulling on it, but that's about it. You can remove the phone one-handed, but you need to push off from the base with a finger.

It's also pretty fiddly to get the phone on, since the only contact point is the actual Lightning connector, which is a tiny target. And the port has enough play that the phone can actually sit crooked on the dock.

I guess these are the trade-offs to make it fit any phone in any case, but I don't really like it. I'll probably just get the TwelveSouth Hi-Rise instead. I don't really like the "high" part of that, but otherwise it seems nicely made .

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It looks like a dock you'd get in a dollar store.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

smackfu posted:

I'll probably just get the TwelveSouth Hi-Rise instead.

My wife has two, one for home and one for the office. They were a little spendy but they're really well put together and she loves them. Especially because it was the only decent dock she could find that would fit her phone along with her Speck card case, thanks to the adjustable depth back on it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
This is the dock you should be buying. http://hengedocks.com/pages/gravitas

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

My wife has two, one for home and one for the office. They were a little spendy but they're really well put together and she loves them. Especially because it was the only decent dock she could find that would fit her phone along with her Speck card case, thanks to the adjustable depth back on it.

I'm not married to this guy but I did the same thing.

They also actually carry them in the Apple stores here which is nice, because when I went to buy my second Amazon was sold out so it was all 3rd party jacked up prices.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

This is the dock you should be buying. http://hengedocks.com/pages/gravitas

Does it work with most cases?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RhoA posted:

Does it work with most cases?

I have the leather one and they have an insert that works for it. I literally have no other cases so I don't have anything to test it with/for.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Sounds like Best Buy will be supporting ApplePay later this year thanks to strong Apple sales.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Except when new versions run like poo poo on old hardware. My girlfriend has a 4S and iOS 8 runs AWFUL on it, and of course there's no way to downgrade.

Is she running 8.3?

In general the .0s are the biggest changes, and the dot releases are incremental improvements/bug fixes on top of the .0s.

EDIT: bah missed the new page. So many correct replies before mine.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

I have the leather one and they have an insert that works for it. I literally have no other cases so I don't have anything to test it with/for.

If it works with the leather case then that's good enough for me, thanks much for the information.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apple just announced that 4S is getting iOS 9

Surprising, but awesome

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Wel", the rumor is that. Apple hasn't announced anything yet

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
All the rumours point towards iOS 9 being made as a huge spring cleaning to the inevitable messy code and bloat that so many updates will cause, so I guess if it's supposed to be more efficient all round than iOS 8 it's not a huge surprise it should support older devices.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EugeneJ posted:

Apple just announced that 4S is getting iOS 9

Surprising, but awesome
Christ, why? You can't even buy one of those anymore, and iOS 9 most likely won't run anywhere near as fast on a 4S as on every newer iPhone it supports.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Christ, why? You can't even buy one of those anymore, and iOS 9 most likely won't run anywhere near as fast on a 4S as on every newer iPhone it supports.
Probably a side benefit of other A5 devices being on sale for so long, and I think the 4S was kept on sale in a few large lower income markets for a year (or two?) after they stopped in the rest of the world.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1) It's a rumor. Apple hasn't even announced iOS 9 yet. (Obviously it's coming.)

2) The same rumor is that instead of starting by getting the full OS running then removing features until it runs acceptably as they've done in the past, they're starting with the basic core and adding features until it stops running acceptably. Whatever difference that might make remains to be seen

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
New 4ses are widely available in Europe.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The iPhone 4s was still being sold as the "free" phone on contract when the iPhone 5s was announced. The lineup went 4s, 5c, 5s. It was only discontinued last year with the introduction of the iPhone 6. To cut off updates less than a year after it's discontinuation would be pretty lovely.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Finally got a iPhone 6+ after three years of my 4S, and I'm wondering what's the best case to get - I'm looking for something around $20 or less and something like SwitchEasy's Lanyard for phone charms.

Also what are some suggested brands for matte screen protectors for the 6+?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Splash Attack posted:

Finally got a iPhone 6+ after three years of my 4S, and I'm wondering what's the best case to get - I'm looking for something around $20 or less and something like SwitchEasy's Lanyard for phone charms.

Also what are some suggested brands for matte screen protectors for the 6+?

A stolen leather official Apple case will be the best case. The leather Apple case is the ebst case is what I'm saying.

And probably Spigen or Bodyguardz. Spigen support is kinda poo poo whereas Bodyguardz is great, but buying Bodyguardz means you have to buy from a company called Bodyguardz.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Rearth Ringke Slim is cheap, adds grip and has a spot for lanyards.

Outside of lanyard cases, my personal favorite is the Magpul.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

noirstronaut posted:

The leather Apple case is the ebst case is what I'm saying.

Agree with this, it's 50 bucks but it's the only phone case i've had that doesn't fill me with hate after having it for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I like the Apple plastic case, it's great if you sweat enough through your pockets that leather will probably fall apart within a year or less.