Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Alarbus posted:

I was expecting my Onkyo repair to take a while, so I bought a second receiver, knowing that I'd eventually move one of the two into the bedroom for a better system in there. Despite being out of warranty, Onkyo mailed me a box, I mailed it in, they fixed it, and mailed it back all within about 10 days. While I'm annoyed the audio failed twice, I absolutely cannot fault their customer service.

That said, I now have a spare receiver and no speakers! I'm not in a huge rush, but what places should I be checking regularly for sales on speakers?

I have a camelcamelcamel thing setup for the Infinity Primus on Amazon, since those seem to go on a massive sale every other month or so. I have the Andrew Jones Pioneers in the main room, and I'm not opposed to swapping things around. Mostly looking for towers and a center right now, probably around $100-150 per unit.

Craigslist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

The SL-1200 (Mk2 especially) is a super nice turntable, but since the vinyl resurgence started and especially since Technics stopped production in 2010, they're generally way overpriced. poo poo condition DJ-abused decks tend to go for 2500+ DKK, and you'll be lucky to find one in decent condition for less than 3500 DKK.

Another option is the Numark TTX which is a phenomenally robust and well-featured direct drive DJ deck. A friend has let me borrow one of his on long term loan as he's got no room for two and it's a seriously good piece of kit. It's just so ridiculously solid and the torque on the motor is insane. And they don't attract the mark up of the Technics (or at least don't here).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

Another option is the Numark TTX which is a phenomenally robust and well-featured direct drive DJ deck. A friend has let me borrow one of his on long term loan as he's got no room for two and it's a seriously good piece of kit. It's just so ridiculously solid and the torque on the motor is insane. And they don't attract the mark up of the Technics (or at least don't here).

Audio Technica makes a couple of pretty decent SL-1200 clones as well, the AT-LP120 and AT-LP1240.

But their wow+flutter measurements are around 0.15% WRMS, where the SL-1200 Mk2 measures in at 0.025% WRMS. It's probably due to the simpler speed control circuit in the Numark and AT etc., which updates once or twice per revolution, instead of continuously as on the Technics. In extreme cases, it results in the "hunting" that audiophiles erroneously claim to be a drawback of all direct drive system.

I'm not going to claim that the difference is obviously audible, but it shows that the Technics decks were designed for hifi listening first and later adapted to DJ use, unlike the Numark and AT, which were primarily designed for DJ use.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 11, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I put flat plastic plates on a spinning metal platter and scratch the grooves in them with needles to get sound out. We all know it's flawed as gently caress a medium to begin with.

I use it, it works, it sounds good. Outside of that I don't care. I am a terrible audiophile. :ohdear:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I didn't mean to imply that you were doing anything wrong, I just wanted to highlight the difference between the original and the clones.

Just as long as you don't get a turntable with one of those stubby straight "DJ" arms. They're designed for scratching and horrible for actually listening to music.

The original SL-1200 Mk1 was never meant to be a DJ turntable, Technics simply designed it to be the best possible turntable they could resonably make and sell at a mid-range price point, using the lessons learned from the expensive SP-10, SL-1000 and SL-1100 models. As a consequence, it turned out to be ridiculously resistant to rough use, which caught the attention of the DJ crowd.

40 years on, unless someone deliberately set out to damage it, an SL-series turntable will keep on trucking, basically like new. The small-time turntable makers simply couldn't match the R&D and engineering budgets of the Panasonic corporation, so instead they focused on the imagined sonic superiority of belt drive turntables, despite it being demonstrably false.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 11, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I wasn't assuming you were implying I was doing anything wrong so don't worry!

I wonder how the new Pioneer deck stands up against the 1200s seeing as it's very clearly 'inspired' by them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

I wasn't assuming you were implying I was doing anything wrong so don't worry!

I wonder how the new Pioneer deck stands up against the 1200s seeing as it's very clearly 'inspired' by them.

The spec sheet says wow+flutter is less than 0.1 % WRMS (similar to the AT-LP1240), which still isn't as stellar as the SL-1200, but probably better than most belt-drive decks. SNR is is 70 dB, which is similar to most good vintage decks.

I'm mostly wondering how good the tonearm is compared to the original, since the original SL arms had less than 10mg of static friction. In comparison, anything below 30mg is considered good these days. Does it matter? No, but I'm just wondering how much effort Pioneer put into cloning the design and how much they put into cloning the quality.

At least it doesn't have a reverse button like some of the other modern DJ-oriented turntables. That'll mess up your precious stylus cantilevers right fast! :v:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 11, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mindfish posted:

My 20 year old Sony sound system is dying on me, so I'm looking for something better now I finally have a full-time job. But I don't actually have much experience picking a sound system setup.

I will be playing music (mostly rock/metal) and movies from my laptop. I will also be running a turntable on the system. I might actually want a better turntable since the current one is kinda cheap. My budget is upwards 20,000 DKK (~3,000 USD).

Dali is a well regarded Danish speaker company, I'm considering the Zensor 3 as my next speaker. They have towers in that range as well but I've not heard them. I have no clue what stuff costs in Denmark but I'll assume a lot more than the US. Your best bet is usually to find a good shop or two and start listening to speakers/systems.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's a reason why most modern direct drive turntables look alike, and it's not just because everyone decided to mimic the classic SL-1200. Apparently every direct drive turntable that isn't a super-crazy-priced audiophile deck from the likes of VPI or Rockport comes from the same manufacturer, Hanpin Electron in Taiwan.

And Hanpin obviously decided that since of the users would be DJs, mimicking the SL-1200 would be a wise move.

http://www.hanpin.com.tw/4_Products_02.html

So yes, all those direct drive turntables from AT, Numark, Stanton, Pioneer etc. all come from the same OEM and have the exact same guts inside. Now you know.

qirex posted:

Dali is a well regarded Danish speaker company, I'm considering the Zensor 3 as my next speaker. They have towers in that range as well but I've not heard them. I have no clue what stuff costs in Denmark but I'll assume a lot more than the US. Your best bet is usually to find a good shop or two and start listening to speakers/systems.

The Zensor 3s are around $455/pair in Denmark, not that bad.

Also, I referred to the prices at Hifiklubben as being for a pair of speakers, of course they're per individual speakers, which is something to keep in mind.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

So yes, all those direct drive turntables from AT, Numark, Stanton, Pioneer etc. all come from the same OEM and have the exact same guts inside. Now you know.

Are you sure about Numark in that list? Not trying to be contrary, I've just been genuinely curious about this for a while. Numark's old Pro-TT2 looks like it might be a Hanpin, but that's pretty old at this point. Their 'new' TTX model, which is actually a decade or so old now, seems quite different. The tonearm design is pretty different, and a lot of the platter design seems unique (although I've never had a chance to tear apart a Hanpin.)

I always see them lumped into the Hanpin crowd, but I've wondered for a while if that connection is real or just assumed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Are you sure about Numark in that list? Not trying to be contrary, I've just been genuinely curious about this for a while. Numark's old Pro-TT2 looks like it might be a Hanpin, but that's pretty old at this point. Their 'new' TTX model, which is actually a decade or so old now, seems quite different. The tonearm design is pretty different, and a lot of the platter design seems unique (although I've never had a chance to tear apart a Hanpin.)

I always see them lumped into the Hanpin crowd, but I've wondered for a while if that connection is real or just assumed.

Hanpin doesn't just do the standard models they list, they'll make any turntable you want, to your specifications within their capabilities. Belt or direct drive, straight or S-shaped tonearm, pitch slider or knobs, blue lights, reverse function and so on.

It might be that Numark actually make their own turntables, I don't know. But the specs and everything are suspiciously close to the decks made by Hanpin.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Ah, gotcha. Interesting!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Sonos is perfect for that then, I use it 90% of the time for spotify and TuneIn radio (stream whatever you want).

You need a device to control it but not as a source. It has an alarm feature which I use to have my Sonos 1 turn on talk radio in the mornings as I'm getting up and ready for the day. The interface app is probably the best thing about it, it's really solid and I can't imagine any of the competitors have done as much in the UX department as they have as long as they've been around.

Followup to this advice. I picked up a S:3 and holy poo poo I am in love with this system.

The only downside is that now I need/want another S:3 for a stereo pair. It fills my small living room really well, but I can tell I'm going to want a stereo setup already.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Followup to this advice. I picked up a S:3 and holy poo poo I am in love with this system.

The only downside is that now I need/want another S:3 for a stereo pair. It fills my small living room really well, but I can tell I'm going to want a stereo setup already.
:getin:

Then you'll want the sub, Sonos is crack. That said I wish they made a smaller [and definitely cheaper] sub, $700 seems like a bit of a piss take.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Actually what I really want is the soundbar. My TV speakers are shitsville and now I'm kind of wishing I'd thought about that.

But yes, Sonos is crack. I've never been happier to give someone $200. I think I'll be getting another S:3 next paycheck and then I'll think about the bar since I don't really watch TV now that sports is over for the year :smith:

One thing I really wish the Sonos Mac app had was some kind of menubar interface so I could just flip it down and type in a spotify search and bam. Rather than having to use the full UI I mean.

edit: What the gently caress, I can't use Spotify genre radio stations in the Sonos app? That's literally why I signed up today. Guess I'm cancelling that. Us Canadians have precious few alternatives to begin with, I guess I'll just stick with TuneIn Radio stations :\

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 14, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So sorry, one more Sonos question.

Is there ANY point in having the Sonos plugged into Ethernet now? I have it set up on my WiFi but my apartment is super saturated by 2.4gig WiFi so I was kind of hoping to just plug it in via cat5. I was under the impression that until recently you needed a BRIDGE if you couldn't hook at least one of the speakers to your router directly; Did the new firmwares kill that?

edit: Also I didn't last long.. Already ordered a second P:3 for a stereo pair.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 14, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Denon's Heos speakers support Spotify Connect, which is amazing in every way.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm looking to get a new 5.1 home surround sound system and would like some recommendations. I would prefer wireless rear speakers and need a receiver that can connect to my TV, cable box and game consoles. I used to have a Onkyo receiver but the HDMI never seemed to work right.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wireless rear speakers are still crap and will probably remain so until WISA equipment comes out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

True, but he could get a wireless bridge and amp for his rear speakers.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAWA3.html

Not cheap, but it will work with any speakers he wants to throw on them.

Here's an option without the built in amp if you want to use a more powerful discrete one.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The problem with wireless speakers is you still have freaken wires running around. Might as well just run it all the way to the amp.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, but the problem isn't usually a wire running along the back wall behind the couch, it's the ones running along the floor in an open floor plan.

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
I got my new system and goddamn does it sound awesome. Much more clarity and waaay more punchy bass. I can't believe how long I stuck with my crappy Sony system. So many years wasted... :(

I ended up going with:
NAD C375BEE + NAD MDC DAC 2.0
2 x Cerwin-Vega XLS-28
NAD PP 2e external RIAA

I probably could have done fine with the C356BEE instead, but now I will definitely have enough power if I decide to upgrade down the line. I decided to skip the internal RIAA module since I'd have to use a switch on the back of the amp to switch between the RIAA and DAC modules.

Thanks again for your help!

KozmoNaut posted:

For instance, I found a good-looking copy of Boston's first album the other day, but even after a good cleaning it still sounds bad, especially on "More Than A Feeling". My best guess is that someone played it on one of those cheap plastic decks and probably played that track more than the others, completely ruining it. Sibilance and distortion on any kind of loud passages. Side B is mostly OK, so I guess they didn't like those tracks. That's a well-known hazard of buying used records, I just think it sucks that people are actively ruining their classic albums, there are slowly getting fewer and fewer of them worth listening to, and I really want an original copy of that album in good condition.

RE: Satyricon, they're more like black'n'roll these days than actual black metal. For instance, their production and sound quality is way too good to be TRVE KVLT :v:

Right now I'm deep into bands like Graveyard as well, properly nice old-school rock/early metal, and they were amazing last year at Copenhell.
I'm not too worried about wear considering how little I have used my turntable the last year :) but good point, that I should probably hold off playing until I find a proper turntable.

Yeah, Graveyard are awesome, but they felt a little out of place at Copenhell's usual thrash/death metal marathon. A can recommend checking out Germany's Kadavar as well. A little more up-tempo retro metal. I saw them at Heavy Days in Doom Town where they even got all the stoners dancing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nice setup, that will serve you well for decades. Maybe you'll want to add a sub or two at some point, but it's not really necessary with those speakers for music.

If you want to play around with a really nice turntable, just gimme a shout. I just got an SL-1200 and it's totally sweet. So is the 1500 I had before (and highly recommended), but this is in a whole different league.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 16, 2015

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I'm looking to buy a receiver with at least stereo pre-amp outputs, and good room correction. Currently I'm looking at the Marantz NR1403. Is this the best option under say $300 or is there something else to look at/a reason to spend more?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mindfish posted:

Yeah, Graveyard are awesome, but they felt a little out of place at Copenhell's usual thrash/death metal marathon. A can recommend checking out Germany's Kadavar as well. A little more up-tempo retro metal. I saw them at Heavy Days in Doom Town where they even got all the stoners dancing.

I had a listen to some of their tracks, and they're quite good.

So good in fact that I bought both of their albums on colored vinyl :)

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim

KozmoNaut posted:

I had a listen to some of their tracks, and they're quite good.

So good in fact that I bought both of their albums on colored vinyl :)
Haha, that sounds like quite a vinyl addiction.

I just got my first neighbor complaint about the new system. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad sign.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4bImmZPpkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0d_1U_GgE

:rock:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't hear you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu5Coy8SdWA

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

What's that you're saying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBIa0o36pPo
Everything Louder Than Everyone Else

I scored this for ~$4.50 today, original 1980 Bronze Records BRON 531 pressing. Cover is hosed, LP is pristine.

:rock:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 21, 2015

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Can I get some advice from people who have Sonos systems? I'd like to have networked music in my apartment, but I already have a non-Sonos soundbar in my living room. It's not a big place, but I'd like to have something in the kitchen, living room, and bedroom to be able to play the same music throughout. Do I want Play 1's in every room? Do I want a play 3 or 5 in the living room, and smaller things in the others? I'm not sure how to go about planning this.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A lot of it depends on how good you need it to sound, I'm way into my Play 1 stereo pair in my bedroom but I don't think I'd need more than one in my kitchen. The living room is kind of the odd man out, depending on how big it is and how many speakers you want. Also, literally everyone is annoyed that the connect is so drat expensive. The good news is that resale value on Sonos gear has been really stable so maybe start with the Play 1 2-pack just to check them out?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Also, what music service do you use? I don't like Sonos' Spotify support.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

KillHour posted:

Also, what music service do you use? I don't like Sonos' Spotify support.

That is a bummer, how come? I use spotify for 90% of my music needs and was thinking of picking up a play 1.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Mostly Google play music and a personal collection on a synology nas for me

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SteveMcQueen posted:

That is a bummer, how come? I use spotify for 90% of my music needs and was thinking of picking up a play 1.

For me Sonos doesn't have support for the stuff you find under browse in spotify, which I enjoy a lot.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bandcamp support is also not very good, only can play stuff you liked. But google play and NAS are very well supported.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I wouldn't get anything Sonos except Play 1 really. Play 1 is the newer speaker and you can tell they've stepped up their game acoustically with that one. It almost sounds as good as the Play 3, and the Play 5 sounds surprisingly bad for how big it is. The Connect has uses but it's crazy expensive for what it is.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SteveMcQueen posted:

Doesn't support Spotify Connect, so a lot of features are missing (radio, others' playlists, the stuff you save to "your music", etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I literally signed up for Spotify the day I got my Play:3 and I cancelled my subscription like 3 hours later, if that says anything. Google Play music is great.

I'm a brand new Sonos user so I'll sort of throw in my two cents which will likely echo what everyone else has said. I've got two Play:3s and a Playbar connected to a Boost (only because you need that or a Bridge to do the Playbar+Surrounds 5.0/5.1 thing. I didn't hear a HUGE difference between the 1s and 3s at BestBuy, but I got my 3s off Craigslist for a considerable discount so I'm pretty happy with my choice to "upgrade". My apartment is something like 580sqft and the 3s mostly filled it just fine before I got the Playbar, but I've got a very open condo.

I wouldn't hesitate suggesting a 1 for a Bedroom, then upgrading to a second if you really need the true stereo pair feeling. The 1 is the only one you'll want to put in the bathroom as it's the only one that's moisture resistant.

I can't really thing of a scenario where I'd recommend the 5 over a pair of 1s or 3s at craigslist prices. If I was buying new though that might be a very different story.

Like I said, I've got the 3s in a surround setup with my Playbar and maybe it's just me, or maybe the Playbar is so overwhelming, but I can't really hear the 3s individually anymore. The room sounds FANTASTIC, but I'm not all "wow this Play:3 sounds so GOOD" anymore, so I'm wondering if there would be a big difference between two 3s and a Playbar and two 1s and a playbar.

I still need to throw a speaker in my bathroom and bedroom so I'm debating the 1 vs 3 thing, and I think I'll eat my own advice and go with a single 1 for the bedroom and upgrade if I need more.

Be careful, I went from "Oh I'll just get one Play:3" to "Oh I'll just get a second" to "Oh I think I really ought to get the playbar" to "Oh now I need one in my bedroom" in the span of like 2 weeks. This poo poo is bad for your wallet.