Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well nintendo will pull your video for depicting even their own promotional material that they've given you for use in reviews. So basically you'd have to be 100% facetime talking about the product without actually featuring anything to look at. In general an audience wants to see something visually stimulating instead of a pastey nerd's face. As a result nintendo videos like that will cause a drop in viewers and not be worth reviewing ever.

Nerds could become more visually interesting, then it's a win/win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

So basically you'd have to be 100% facetime talking about the product without actually featuring anything to look at. In general an audience wants to see something visually stimulating instead of a pastey nerd's face.

The thing is I believe talented people could pull it off. I mean I would still watch an episode of half in the bag/previously recorded without footage/trailers just because those guys are funny and interesting all on their own. Heck they could just make audio reviews and I'd listen to every one of them.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Nerds could become more visually interesting, then it's a win/win

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's quite possible, but that doesn't put Nintendo in the right, and pragmatically it just means Nintendo products aren't worth reviewing. They're a manufacturer of homogenized feel good products, but are demanding special treatment in media.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Honestly, even professional reviewers use footage from films and media in their reviews. This idea that needing footage is somehow an indictment on the person's ability is pretty absurd. Angry Joe nearly crying in that video was really stupid I'll admit though, the dude should have just said "Welp, not doing Nintendo stuff anymore!" there's a million more non-Nintendo games he could look at.

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Bennett reviews an anime that emotionally touched him. And his speech at the end sort of reminds me of what JewWario said.

I came here after watching the video because I was morbidly curious as to how SA would react to it. This is just my own experience, but the general vibe I get from other posters here is that otaku are not okay, and that they should be ostracized and should feel ashamed for liking what they do. I vehemently disagree with that viewpoint, but have rarely said anything about it for fear of it either turning into a one-sided gank of a conversation or a mod banning me for stirring poo poo by saying something unpopular.

Since a related topic has come up independently in this thread, I feel this is a perfect opportunity to ask: Am I reading the people here totally wrong? Is it a misunderstanding or misreading of social cues on my part? Is it just good-natured ribbing that I'm taking as serious? I know people throw this as a go-to excuse for making people uncomfortable, but I am genuinely autistic, diagnosed and everything. Reading social cues is and always has been a real bitch for me.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kill all nerds

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well it's something that should be good natured ribbing and a push to be more sociable, but because this is Something Awful there are always people who get grossly obsessive over x group of people being terrible. For instance see any of the fa threads.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe not all nerds, some are fit for labour camps

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

johnboy3434 posted:

I came here after watching the video because I was morbidly curious as to how SA would react to it. This is just my own experience, but the general vibe I get from other posters here is that otaku are not okay, and that they should be ostracized and should feel ashamed for liking what they do. I vehemently disagree with that viewpoint, but have rarely said anything about it for fear of it either turning into a one-sided gank of a conversation or a mod banning me for stirring poo poo by saying something unpopular.

Since a related topic has come up independently in this thread, I feel this is a perfect opportunity to ask: Am I reading the people here totally wrong? Is it a misunderstanding or misreading of social cues on my part? Is it just good-natured ribbing that I'm taking as serious? I know people throw this as a go-to excuse for making people uncomfortable, but I am genuinely autistic, diagnosed and everything. Reading social cues is and always has been a real bitch for me.

There's layers to it. For one thing, you have to realize that "otaku" doesn't just mean "someone who likes anime a lot", but instead implies the kind of people for whom the best Western equivalent would be the worst parts of the MLP fandom.

There's a whole subforum for anime and discussion of anime often takes over this thread every now and than(a pretty good anime critic even posts here). Just liking anime or finding a lot of depth in it isn't bad. It's just not cool when people who act like the stereotypical weeaboo from Hell. I used to know a person like that. It was...pretty annoying at times, as good of a person as she was otherwise.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

There's layers to it. For one thing, you have to realize that "otaku" doesn't just mean "someone who likes anime a lot", but instead implies the kind of people for whom the best Western equivalent would be the worst parts of the MLP fandom.

There's a whole subforum for anime and discussion of anime often takes over this thread every now and than(a pretty good anime critic even posts here). Just liking anime or finding a lot of depth in it isn't bad. It's just not cool when people who act like the stereotypical weeaboo from Hell. I used to know a person like that. It was...pretty annoying at times, as good of a person as she was otherwise.

They must have defended some godawful poo poo for you to say that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They must have defended some godawful poo poo for you to say that.

For an entire year, literally, literally all she talked about was Naruto and Dragon Ball Z, and despite the fact that she hadn't even seen all of DBZ, she thought it's fictional currency was what Japan used instead of yen. She also thought Japanese people were biologically superior to all other races, and when she found out I wrote stuff she asked for a sexual fanfic of her and Sasuke out of the blue.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I find that unless you would blend in with the characters in the SNL "J-Pop American Fun Time Now" sketches, you're okay in my book.

That was fun!

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 21, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

johnboy3434 posted:

Eh people usually have very rational reasons for being who they are so when I pick on or criticize someone I usually try not to be mean about it. Like it's OK to laugh at someone when they fall in the mud but you should still lend them a hand at the same time you know?

That said, despite being progressive and understanding privilege more than most your typical goon is probably being an rear end in a top hat. Sorry. :(

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UP8daKWu00
Things I learned about Doug, he thinks Thunderdome is the best of the original Mad Max movies

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

achillesforever6 posted:

Things I learned about Doug, he thinks Thunderdome is the best of the original Mad Max movies

Oh yeah, we (me, Zac, and a pack of friends) watched all the Mad Max movies leading up to Fury Road before we went. Needless to say, Fury Road is the best one, (and I would argue, one of the greatest action movies ever made,) but we enjoyed the journey through the franchise, because every single movie is wildly different. The agreed-upon favorite of the three was the Road Warrior, since it's a solid and engaging action film that so firmly defined the aesthetic of an entire genre to follow. The original Mad Max was more divisive, some loved it, some thought it sucked. I'm in the staunch defender camp, I think it's an excellent spec sci fi art movie for its time, with a lot of relevant commentary for its time and some really inspired shots and ideas for its conservative budget, and most of what doesn't work about it now is due to its age. That said, it is definitely an art movie with bits and bobs of action in it, not really comfortable in the "action and explosions" camp you associate with the Mad Max franchise. And yes, a lot of it does not work as well in 2015. It's a justifiably divisive experience, while The Road Warrior is very easy to just lay back and enjoy.

But everyone hated Thunderdome. Thunderdome is garbage. It's like the weird, studio-mandated PG kid-friendly Mad Max movie, and it's terrible. Even the Thunderdome itself isn't entertaining, it's this poorly choreographed embarrassment where guys on harnesses kinda sorta slap into one another a little bit. Then KIDS RULE and save the day at the end. It was also sort of barely made by George Miller, because he co-directed it under contractual obligation and was extremely depressed at the time due to the sudden death of his best friend in an airplane accident. So yeah. gently caress Thunderdome, great title aside. It's an awful movie. Glad Miller was able to come back and stamp a giant jaw-dropping coda on the whole thing. I like that franchise a lot. In general, I love that "leather in the desert" aesthetic, it just makes my heart happy.

But yeah, now is the perfect time to experience the Mad Max franchise beginning to end if you haven't already. Every film is incredibly different, and the aesthetic you probably associate with Mad Max really only applies to that second film (or did until Fury Road).

Mad Max 1: Art film with smatterings of violent action

Mad Max 2: Four-quadrant high concept sci fi action

Mad Max 3: lovely failed attempt at a kids' movie version of the franchise

Mad Max 4: Perfect marriage of action movie and art film into something entirely its own

Fun stuff~

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

achillesforever6 posted:

Jay O posted:

Oh yeah, we (me, Zac, and a pack of friends) watched all the Mad Max movies leading up to Fury Road before we went. Needless to say, Fury Road is the best one, (and I would argue, one of the greatest action movies ever made,) but we enjoyed the journey through the franchise, because every single movie is wildly different. The agreed-upon favorite of the three was the Road Warrior, since it's a solid and engaging action film that so firmly defined the aesthetic of an entire genre to follow. The original Mad Max was more divisive, some loved it, some thought it sucked. I'm in the staunch defender camp, I think it's an excellent spec sci fi art movie for its time, with a lot of relevant commentary for its time and some really inspired shots and ideas for its conservative budget, and most of what doesn't work about it now is due to its age. That said, it is definitely an art movie with bits and bobs of action in it, not really comfortable in the "action and explosions" camp you associate with the Mad Max franchise. And yes, a lot of it does not work as well in 2015. It's a justifiably divisive experience, while The Road Warrior is very easy to just lay back and enjoy.

But everyone hated Thunderdome. Thunderdome is garbage. It's like the weird, studio-mandated PG kid-friendly Mad Max movie, and it's terrible. Even the Thunderdome itself isn't entertaining, it's this poorly choreographed embarrassment where guys on harnesses kinda sorta slap into one another a little bit. Then KIDS RULE and save the day at the end. It was also sort of barely made by George Miller, because he co-directed it under contractual obligation and was extremely depressed at the time due to the sudden death of his best friend in an airplane accident. So yeah. gently caress Thunderdome, great title aside. It's an awful movie. Glad Miller was able to come back and stamp a giant jaw-dropping coda on the whole thing. I like that franchise a lot. In general, I love that "leather in the desert" aesthetic, it just makes my heart happy.

But yeah, now is the perfect time to experience the Mad Max franchise beginning to end if you haven't already. Every film is incredibly different, and the aesthetic you probably associate with Mad Max really only applies to that second film (or did until Fury Road).

Mad Max 1: Art film with smatterings of violent action

Mad Max 2: Four-quadrant high concept sci fi action

Mad Max 3: lovely failed attempt at a kids' movie version of the franchise

Mad Max 4: Perfect marriage of action movie and art film into something entirely its own

Fun stuff~

Well, to be fair

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thunderdome has good moments in a sea of bad. It would have benefited from Miller directing the entire thing as well as editing it, but I enjoyed it for the mess that it was but I wouldn't defend it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I haven't seen it since I was a literal child who liked most of what was put in front of me, so I can't comment.

That new Mad Max film is pretty great though, go see that. Probably a better use of your time than Avengers: Age of Ultron if you have to choose between the two, because Age of Ultron is alright, but you've seen it before a dozen times, but Fury Road is something new.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jay O posted:

Oh yeah, we (me, Zac, and a pack of friends) watched all the Mad Max movies leading up to Fury Road before we went.

That's what I did, though I skipped Thunderdome(seeing Fury Road this Sunday). I was just talking in the irrationally irritating movie moments thread that it's really weird how in Road Warrior the "good guys" are portrayed as such but aren't really that much better than the villians. I don't have a problem with stuff where neither side is purely in the right or purely in the wrong, but the narrative was weird with how it made it seem like a case of Good vs Evil.

Between it and it's predecessor, I liked the first movie the best, though the villians weren't interesting at all. Now that I think about it though, it's rather suspiciously homophobic they had a villainous gay couple two movies in a row.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The villians are the best part of those movies! Max is a really passive proganist - he's broken by his trauma, and it isn't until Thunderdome that he relearns how to be human again.

Thunderdome is great because how wierd and eccentric it is. Sure, it never hits the highs of Mad Max 2, but tt's meant to be set 15 years after Road Warrior, and how odd Bartertown is really captures the feel of how people would go "Well, we've had our fill of riding around and bickering over petrol, lets start to rebulid". Thunderdome is pretty great - it's inventive, the kids bring Max's character arc full circle, and Tina Turner is pretty fun - and the theme song really works. That, and its the most quotable of the films. :colbert:

I like the idea that all of the movies are people's retellings of the half remembered stories of Max the Road Warrior. It explains why all of them are so different, and how Fury Road fits it (I'd say it happens between Road Warrior and Thunderdome, but that's just my guess). Sometimes Max had a daughter, sometimes he had a son - sometimes he's a young man, sometimes he's older with greying hair - it all depends on who is telling the story. The endings of 2, 3 and the ending title card of Fury Road back this up.

People are in the Outback after the war going "Did you hear about Max's time in Bartertown?" "Nah mate, you're getting it wrong, he fought Immortan Joe first! And he had hair like a wild man, not a buzz cut...."

That's my take on the films anyway. All are varying degrees of good, though the first one suffers from a low bugdet, the limitations of the grindhouse style, and the fact that the DVD I own has a redub with American accents (luckily the other two are untouched).

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 22, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Can't we all just

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Between it and it's predecessor, I liked the first movie the best, though the villians weren't interesting at all. Now that I think about it though, it's rather suspiciously homophobic they had a villainous gay couple two movies in a row.

I don't remember any gay couple in Mad Max. In fact the only couples in the movie were Max and his wife, and Nightrider and the woman he was riding with. Maybe I was missing something with Toecutter and one of his guys, but he was only sexually predatory to everything that moved man, woman, or mannequin.

It seems more that every man in the Mad Max movies given the option dresses like they're at a gay club. Max wears a leather jacket at all times, his boss struts around without a shirt and in really tight pants while discussing business, etc.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

I don't remember any gay couple in Mad Max. In fact the only couples in the movie were Max and his wife, and Nightrider and the woman he was riding with. Maybe I was missing something with Toecutter and one of his guys, but he was only sexually predatory to everything that moved man, woman, or mannequin.

It seems more that every man in the Mad Max movies given the option dresses like they're at a gay club. Max wears a leather jacket at all times, his boss struts around without a shirt and in really tight pants while discussing business, etc.

Yeah, Mad Max is just really homoerotic in general. I think the aesthetic itself is inherently homoerotic (and also very 80s.) WickedHate is being WickedHate.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

I know it's opinion, but that's like stating Conan the Destoyer is the best one of the three Conan movies. I like Destroyer, but Conan the Barbarian is just so epic and mythic. Besides, I like my 80's action movies to be hard R rated.

I skipped Thunderdome when watching the series before Fury Road. The first one is interesting, as society is starting to break but has not yet collapsed. It feels more like a thriller than a straight up action movie.

The Road Warrior is a great movie, it launched tons of post apocalyptic cash in movies and the gimmicks of a number of 80's pro wrestlers.

^^All copies of Mad Max have the American redub. If a print with the original dub exists, I would love to see it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

PassTheRemote posted:

^^All copies of Mad Max have the American redub. If a print with the original dub exists, I would love to see it.

Apparently, some DVDs have the original dub. The American dub kinda hurt the atmosphere and took me out of the film, honestly. But then again, I only have a pretty cheap DVD set of the three films...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I've heard it was intended that Johnny was Toecutter's lover. Could be wrong, I guess.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I've heard it was intended that Johnny was Toecutter's lover. Could be wrong, I guess.

If that's the case it's about as well communicated as Max's boss being gay.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

OldMemes posted:

Apparently, some DVDs have the original dub. The American dub kinda hurt the atmosphere and took me out of the film, honestly. But then again, I only have a pretty cheap DVD set of the three films...

Oh god I forgot that the film was dubbed for American audiences! How embarrassing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh god I forgot that the film was dubbed for American audiences! How embarrassing.

I was honestly suprised that my (UK) copy was redubbed, since here we're pretty used to the Aussie accent and slang. Neighbours used to be a HUGE thing over here, for example.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

get BEYOND

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I got to say since I'm more familiar with the Fallout games than Mad Max, I was kind of disappointed that Fury Road didn't begin with Ron Perlman going "War... War never changes"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

get BEYOND

But that film is :mediocre: ?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Can't we just get beyond thunderdome

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

Something something MST3K

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Leal posted:

No. Get out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Leal posted:

gently caress YOU

EAT poo poo AND DIE

gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The biker in the second one. His boyfriend took the boomerang to the forehead. Met his end on the grill on the semi colliding with The Humungus's vehicle.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

OldMemes posted:

I was honestly suprised that my (UK) copy was redubbed, since here we're pretty used to the Aussie accent and slang. Neighbours used to be a HUGE thing over here, for example.

It could just be me, coming from a culture which isn't the dominant cultural force, but it speaks to an attitude that says that Americans can't be challenged by being exposed to culture that isn't American. (I'm not saying that's true, but the film and television industry seems all too eager to cater to that fact.) I mean if you were American, it would be quite easy to only experience American news, only watch American TV and movies and American books, and only consume American culture. Whereas if you're Australian, the only way you could ever avoid outside culture (British and American especially) is if you were living in a shack in the middle of the desert. Even the most *insert classist epithet here* Australian would be exposed to culture that wasn't Australian, on a daily basis, whether it's top 40 music or crappy reality TV shows or Michael Bay movies.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

But that film is :mediocre: ?

Whoever made that and those who paid for it deserve to be put on a pedastal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jay O posted:

In general, I love that "leather in the desert" aesthetic, it just makes my heart happy.
You should really play the Fallout series, then! :love:

I'm curious, though--isn't leather the last thing you'd want to wear in extreme heat? Also, how is it that George Miller can do so many diverse projects from Mad Max to Babe and just about everything in between? 'Cause something tells me that Warner Bros. is gonna use Mad Max 5 as leverage to get him to direct a DC Comics film.

• Locked thread