Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I liked Phineas and Ferb, but all things must end eventually.

Rudoku posted:

As long as it doesn't pull a Fairly Oddparents and shamble through more than 4 final episodes/movies over what feels like a decade.

It shouldn't feel like a decade, considering it's been on the air since 2001. I remember it used to have this weird dueling shows thing going on with Invader Zim.

Hell, Spongebob's been kept alive since 1999. Nickelodeon doesn't really do traditional 2D animation these days, but it sure as gently caress won't let go of its remnants of the past. It's terrible when a show gets older than its demographic without any real reinvention of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

I get the feeling you don't like Phineas and Ferb but I'm not quite sure

it's more that i don't like bad shows

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I want the birthday card in that latest episode of Clarence.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Toxxupation posted:

it's more that i don't like bad shows

But you watch Doctor Who now.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hell, Spongebob's been kept alive since 1999. Nickelodeon doesn't really do traditional 2D animation these days, but it sure as gently caress won't let go of its remnants of the past. It's terrible when a show gets older than its demographic without any real reinvention of itself.

How long has Dora the Explorer been on? I know they still make episodes of that and aside from the intros they're indistinguishable from episodes that aired years ago.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 17, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

But you watch Doctor Who now.

gently caress, you know what? good point, i concede

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Here's Proto-Over the Garden Wall, since you know, Over the Garden Wall.

It was released with three pilots for new series that were not picked up. Which I will not link to. Maybe later. I don't know the circumstances or anything it's just nice to see more Over the Garden Wall and I'd rather talk about that for a bit before talking about how the new pilots were twee-quirky overload and why the hell was Lakewood Plaza never continued to a full series.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rudoku posted:

As long as it doesn't pull a Fairly Oddparents and shamble through more than 4 final episodes/movies over what feels like a decade.

I'm fairly certain new Fairly Oddparents is still happening somehow. Like every year there's a new movie.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Acne Rain posted:

Here's Proto-Over the Garden Wall, since you know, Over the Garden Wall.

It was released with three pilots for new series that were not picked up. Which I will not link to. Maybe later. I don't know the circumstances or anything it's just nice to see more Over the Garden Wall and I'd rather talk about that for a bit before talking about how the new pilots were twee-quirky overload and why the hell was Lakewood Plaza never continued to a full series.

I think Lakewood Plaza might still be happening, Ian JQ has hinted towards it a few times.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sockser posted:

I'm fairly certain new Fairly Oddparents is still happening somehow. Like every year there's a new movie.

Yeah they recently announced Season 10, which will probably suck for the most part

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Whats this Stephen Universe thing that's overtaking the forums? I tired the actual show thread but its a bit :stare: so I decided to ask here instead.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I'm becoming aware of Doc McStuffins lately. It feels likely something that's just months or weeks away from exploding and taking over the world for a while like Dora did.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

Whats this Stephen Universe thing that's overtaking the forums? I tired the actual show thread but its a bit :stare: so I decided to ask here instead.

it's like what we had with Adventure Time but the main character isn't explicitly a white kid and they managed to sneak in an actual lesbian relationship so everyone's goin' buck wild

it's an okay little show but it's got the whole fandom thing locked down

VVV yeah basically that, the plot is stupid at times but they seem to know where they're going with it VVV

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 21, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Klaus88 posted:

It's basically AT but FAR more anime. I know that makes it sound terrible but it's the most accurate description I can think of and it doesn't change the fact that it's a really cool, sweet and funny show. Also, unlike AT, it seems they actually planned the plot out.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Klaus88 posted:

It's a pretty cute show about a fat white kid living with three magical lesbians. It get's pretty decent after episode 10 or so.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's forums-legal MLP

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Babe Magnet posted:

it's forums-legal MLP

it's true lol. At least the thread hasn't gotten to AT thread :tvtropes: level yet

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Someone said that the latest half-hour Regular Show had more anime references in it than the entire first season of Steven Universe, which is apparently anime as gently caress. I'm also pretty sure that Rebecca Sugar was responsible for most of the Marceline episodes of Adventure Time so that's why there hasn't been one of those in a while. Also, Tom Scharpling (of The Best Show fame) voices Steven's dad. I guess the fandom is pretty bad, though?

I'll just stick with Clarence. It's refreshing to see a show on Cartoon Network that's less about telling a story and more about characters loving around. That's what Regular Show was until it got bogged down in the goddamn Mordecai/Margaret/C.J. love triangle.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The only cartoon fandom that I have interacted with that I would honestly say is mostly bad is the bronies, and even then I'd argue that not all of them are as bad as they are described.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Stephen Universe fans remind me more Homestuck fans than anything, both in their ubiquitousness (so many SU avatars!) and the way they always recommend the show to people outside of its niche.

"Looking for a feel-good workplace comedy now that Parks & Recs is over? Well it's not quite what you're looking for but I recommend Stephen Universe because :words:"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Stephen Universe fans remind me more Homestuck fans than anything, both in their ubiquitousness (so many SU avatars!) and the way they always recommend the show to people outside of its niche.

"Looking for a feel-good workplace comedy now that Parks & Recs is over? Well it's not quite what you're looking for but I recommend Stephen Universe because :words:"

So it's like Dark Souls in cartoon form.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Avoiding a show because of the fandom always seems really dumb to me. It's really easy to just watch the show and ignore the fandom. If you don't like show, it doesn't look appealing to you or you just don't want to take the time to get into it that's reasonable but don't let the only reason you're avoiding be that some people are weird about it,

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

axleblaze posted:

Avoiding a show because of the fandom always seems really dumb to me. It's really easy to just watch the show and ignore the fandom. If you don't like show, it doesn't look appealing to you or you just don't want to take the time to get into it that's reasonable but don't let the only reason you're avoiding be that some people are weird about it,

It is totally illogical and you would miss out on a huge amount of classics if you literally never consumed anything if it had a bad fanbase. On the other hand, if you already feel like you can go on without something, but it feels like people are being obnoxious about it (whether they're directly interacting with you or not), it's not unexpected that interest would be negative.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

Someone said that the latest half-hour Regular Show had more anime references in it than the entire first season of Steven Universe, which is apparently anime as gently caress.

That's not a great comparison as that Regular Show special was designed to be nothing but anime references.

Anyway, I've been catching bits and pieces of Gumball and have been really enjoying what I've seen. I might have to try and actually start watching it regularly.

Jesus Christ, this is a weird episode of Adventure Time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the gently caress I just watched or why it exists.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Anyway, I've been catching bits and pieces of Gumball and have been really enjoying what I've seen. I might have to try and actually start watching it regularly.

Gumball is fantastic and seems to get better every season. The first season was kind mostly weak but after that it starts getting really good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Dodj or Dare is still one of the funniest episodes of any show I've ever seen.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

The only cartoon fandom that I have interacted with that I would honestly say is mostly bad is the bronies, and even then I'd argue that not all of them are as bad as they are described.
All things considered, I'll take bronies over furries any day of the week.

mycot posted:

So it's like Dark Souls in cartoon form.
When you put it that way, that fandom sounds a lot more benign. I'd wager that the worst SU fans confine themselves to Tumblr to begin with, which you can say about the fanbase of practically every show on television right now. I'd still probably like Clarence more but I'll watch some more SU episodes (I watched the first few episodes and they were cute, but I guess I got distracted).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Dodj or Dare is still one of the funniest episodes of any show I've ever seen.

Or IS IT?!

Mine is The Tape one mostly due to the Anailator (The really well done fan animation is great too though the guy behind it could qualify as a bad fandom dood so watch your step).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 22, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There's alot of Gumballs I feel I could say are my favorites. The ones mentioned are way up there but I also like the one that focuses on the inanimate objects if the world, the butterfly effect one, the meaning of life one, the one where they break the countdown clock and even the first season episodes where Gumball wears a dress and everyone thinks he's a beautiful lady or the one where Richard gets a job.

The show also does oddly good meta episodes like the one with the list stuff dimension, the one where they changed the voice actors over for the second time and the one where they suddenly have to pay for all their actions from throughout the series.

There's probably a bunch I'm forgetting. I guess I'm just saying it's a good show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

axleblaze posted:

they suddenly have to pay for all their actions from throughout the series.

Yeah "finale" is hilarious, just for the moment when Anais realises how their lives work:

"Previously when ever we have encountered a situation it has escalated until it reaches a point of critical mass in which the problem resolved itself. We need to replicate those effects now"
"Sooo... what are you saying"
"We need to Make. Things. Worse."

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You certainly don't see many kids cartoons reference series finale of Seinfeld.

I'm pretty sure the POV rampage sequences in the Gumball episode "The Ghost" were inspired by the extremely controversial and NWS music video for Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I avoided Gumball for a long time because I assumed from the animation style in the previews that it was just a random kid's show (and maybe some subtle bigotry that it hadn't earned a dedicated TVIV thread of its own), but one day I just left the TV on through it and I'm glad I did. It's a much smarter show than its appearance lets on.

I always get the "we're gonna test drive a car, then say we need a little time to think about it (because we're men!)" song stuck in my head too drat frequently.

The meaning of life episode floored me because I can't imagine a children's show from when I grew up saying that in the grand scheme of things, your life doesn't matter (with a catchy tune!).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In Gumball I'm also amazed they got away with this joke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SD8orqAU
I mean, actually it makes sense they got away with it because what's one screen seems harmless enough but COME ON

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I have a hard time picking between the Daniel Lenard and "Gumball's Dad Gets A Job" episodes as my favorites. They really nail the spirit of the show.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

axleblaze posted:

In Gumball I'm also amazed they got away with this joke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SD8orqAU
I mean, actually it makes sense they got away with it because what's one screen seems harmless enough but COME ON

That's no where near the most surprising joke they got away with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_Ww3tIeAw

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It was weird seeing the full Gumball intro for the first time.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the episode where the rock guy quits his jobs and the world ends.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
If your favorite episode isn't "The Sweaters" then you're dead to me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My favorite episode has gotta be The Internet. :v: It's wonderful.

Also the one where Richard gets a job and just breaks reality.

Gaunab posted:

It was weird seeing the full Gumball intro for the first time.

The full one as in the one from Season 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

The full one as in the one from Season 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No_omXE6TK0