Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sam Rockwell is John Galt? Who is John Galt????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
In the future all film names by law will be completely impenetrable: non-ethnic name of male protagonist, rom-com titles like "That's How It Goes!", mysterious combinations of multisyllabic nouns like Robert Ludlum novels. Colons will also be mandated.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

effectual posted:

And John Carter should've been "John Carter and the Princess of Mars". That would've gotten more butts in seats than what they got.

Eh... very debatable. John Carter is one of those franchises who legacy is loving massive and stretches from Superman to Super Mario, but is largely forgotten by the public. I'm a huge goddamn "genre human being" and I still didn't really learn dick squat about John Carter of Mars proper until I was 18 and I found it boring as gently caress in a pleasure sense, although academically it was fascinating. So having said that, why on Earth the Walt Disney company let the director have unprecedented control of the marketing whose fanboy tendencies made him assured everyone under the sun already knew and/or gave a poo poo about a century-old genre ur-text is beyond me. Extending the title wouldn't have helped that. Hell even pointing out how big an influence John Carter has had on the pop culture landscape wouldn't have helped do much than explain the seemingly derivative or generic aspects because people consume pop culture for base entertainment, not cultural history lessons. John Carter had been out of John Q. Public's eye for so long the only real thing Disney could have done would be to have built him from the ground up but instead they let a cocky director lead them and they paid for it dearly. It takes a lot for a peasant like me to sympathize with one of the Big 6 Media Companies but goddammit they did it.

Light Gun Man posted:

At least put a THEY KILLED HIS DOG...NOW HE'LL KILL THEM!

No that's the kind of thing you put on a low-rent action boiler from the 70s-90s and John Wick is totally different from those because

The Time Dissolver posted:

In the future all film names by law will be completely impenetrable: non-ethnic name of male protagonist, rom-com titles like "That's How It Goes!", mysterious combinations of multisyllabic nouns like Robert Ludlum novels. Colons will also be mandated.

Browsing Netflix already feels like this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cacator posted:

The original title was John Carter of Mars. They took out the "of Mars" from the title because they found that movies with "Mars" in the title underperformed. So now we got a movie that's set on Mars but named after some guy instead, and look how well that did!

The original title was John Carter of Mars because "A Princess of Mars" wouldn't sell to boys. That movie had a hard row to hoe, which is a shame because it wasn't bad.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Jedit posted:

The original title was John Carter of Mars because "A Princess of Mars" wouldn't sell to boys. That movie had a hard row to hoe, which is a shame because it wasn't bad.

I'm the most vocal cheerleader for "John Carter" I know. But when selling it to friends who I know will probably like it, I either have to explain how it's based on the science-fantasy Ur-text as explained above, or strongly emphasize the fact that Taylor Kitch spends most of the movie wearing naught but a loincloth and a smile.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Jedit posted:

It may not be "bad," but it's definitely boring and difficult to get into.

The same can be said about a lot of Disney's live action blockbusters as of late: Prince of Persia, Pirates 4... arguably 2 & 3 as well, along with The Lone Ranger and Tron: Legacy.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 21, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

effectual posted:

I'm actually struggling to think of another title for John Wick, though they could've had a good tagline for it, like "don't set him off" or something.
You mean exactly like they did? :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

zenintrude posted:

It may not be "bad," but it's definitely boring and difficult to get into.

The same can be said about a lot of Disney's live action blockbusters as of late: Prince of Persia, Pirates 4... arguably 2 & 3 as well, along with The Lone Ranger and Tron: Legacy.

I thought Tron Legacy was pretty good, but I'm also a huge sucker for Daft Punk :v:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought Tron Legacy was pretty good, but I'm also a huge sucker for Daft Punk :v:

Yeah that soundtrack really was pretty fantastic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cage posted:

You mean exactly like they did? :v:

Should have named him John Fuse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jake Fuze

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Got those Mad Max posters in. The original and Road Warrior ones are only one sided, and reprints, of course, but they're pretty high quality and look really good next to the Fury Road double sided one sheet. Sorry about the window glare on the Fury Road one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Give some breathing room on the top, they are way to close to the ceiling. :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Give some breathing room on the top, they are way to close to the ceiling. :)

I have really low ceilings, so full size theatrical stuff has to live by the ceiling otherwise they look way too low and weird, sadly. My last apartment wasn't built in the 50's, and had normal human sized ceilings so I could have them hanging properly, but it's not really an option here.

Plus it makes them easier to hang alone and not have all crooked.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah that's killing me! Why are they mounted so high and flush to the ceiling tiles?

edit: the middle of those posters should be at about 5.5 feet roughly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

For reference on the low ceiling situation, I was holding the camera at eye level in that photo.

E: Next time I move, I'll definitely have them down lower as long as the ceiling allows. Smaller posters can live lower and not look like they're too far down, but 27x40 ones always look too high or too low here.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 21, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Um no dude I dont think you understand. Its too close to the ceiling you might as well throw all those out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cage posted:

Um no dude I dont think you understand. Its too close to the ceiling you might as well throw all those out.

I guess you're right. I've just doused my apartment, and self, in gasoline, and started letting gas out of the oven. I've brought shame to my posters and this thread...

By the way, for further reference, that little spot of black in the lower right hand corner is my mattress, which further illustrates how low these ceilings are.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TheJoker138 posted:

I guess you're right. I've just doused my apartment, and self, in gasoline, and started letting gas out of the oven. I've brought shame to my posters and this thread...

By the way, for further reference, that little spot of black in the lower right hand corner is my mattress, which further illustrates how low these ceilings are.

Why is your bed so close to the ceiling

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

What's the rent like for living on the 7 1/2 floor?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
TheJoker 138cm

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Guys don't make fun of the Joker for living in a fallout shelter, come on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheJoker138 posted:

Mad Max wouldn't waste guzzoline like that. :colbert:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Got those Mad Max posters in. The original and Road Warrior ones are only one sided, and reprints, of course, but they're pretty high quality and look really good next to the Fury Road double sided one sheet. Sorry about the window glare on the Fury Road one.

nice place

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

I loved the book, I loved the movie and it sure as poo poo should have been called 'John Carter of Mars'.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I loved the book, I loved the movie and it sure as poo poo should have been called 'John Carter of Mars'.

I disagree. They should have called it "J.C." and played up the Christ allegory, rather than played it down.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Event just a small inch - some form of separation, it'll do wonders. TRUST ME!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Event just a small inch - some form of separation, it'll do wonders. TRUST ME!

They're already up, and I'm not going to go buy more 3M sticky things at this point.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

They're already up, and I'm not going to go buy more 3M sticky things at this point.

If you live in a hot/dry environment, those things do not last. Hope those frames are plastic and not glass in that case.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Joker you have just not done anything right in the hanging of these posters. Just nothing, man!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wish this was mine.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I want that.

I need that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

teagone posted:

Wish this was mine.

I wish the insides of robocop were chocolate instead

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I am endlessly pleased that K-Nash is back for this movie, his inability to dance (or even move) was a highlight of the first.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

teagone posted:

Wish this was mine.

Whats with all the holes on the frame?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Wendell posted:

I am endlessly pleased that K-Nash is back for this movie, his inability to dance (or even move) was a highlight of the first.

I like the part in the trailer where Joe Manganiello fucks a convenience store.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Light Gun Man posted:

Should have named him John Fuse.

"This summer... do not hold in hand. If you light John Fuse, get away."

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Wait I got it.

No one can hold a candle to John Wick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kramjacks posted:

Whats with all the holes on the frame?

I'm assuming they're suppose to be bullet holes.