Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

Here's our trailer for Pixels. We beat out 9 other trailer houses for it and then suffered about a month of unbelievable Sony nonsense to get what we could into the trailer without them screwing it up. This movie is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIOcWZOQL5M

I wish anybody but Adam Sandler was in this movie so I could just forget that it is basically that one episode of Futurama crossed with the remake of The Italian Job and enjoy the visual spectacle of it, because it certainly looks pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Asiina posted:

I wish anybody but Adam Sandler was in this movie so I could just forget that it is basically that one episode of Futurama crossed with the remake of The Italian Job and enjoy the visual spectacle of it, because it certainly looks pretty.

Fair.

I don't really care what the movie makes tbh, I am just really happy we won the trailer. It was a huge victory for my company.

Sony is a mess. Still.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it is funny even though humor made it look like an Adam Sandler film which they were trying to avoid. After THE COBBLER I can't really blame them.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
MAZE RUNNER Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-44_igsZtgU

I kinda liked the first movie. :kiddo:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

Fair.

I don't really care what the movie makes tbh, I am just really happy we won the trailer. It was a huge victory for my company.

Sony is a mess. Still.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it is funny even though humor made it look like an Adam Sandler film which they were trying to avoid. After THE COBBLER I can't really blame them.

So you don't work for WB directly anymore then?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

So you don't work for WB directly anymore then?

No I left to go to a trailer house. I still work with WB indirectly though, on Entourage and Gallows right now.

It's no Mad Max but I'll take it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

No I left to go to a trailer house. I still work with WB indirectly though, on Entourage and Gallows right now.

It's no Mad Max but I'll take it.

That's still rad as hell. A trailer house is still my goal for film work, to be honest. I tried to hard to nab a job at Disney's in-house theme park video place while I was interning in the parks, but goddamn it's hard to get into.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kiimo posted:

Here's our trailer for Pixels. We beat out 9 other trailer houses for it and then suffered about a month of unbelievable Sony nonsense to get what we could into the trailer without them screwing it up. This movie is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIOcWZOQL5M

You guys crushed this. It looks like a meld of Adam Sandler's and Chris Columbus' better sensibilities; not exactly high praise, granted, but if your goal is to sell tickets you got at least one.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 19, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

PaganGoatPants posted:

MAZE RUNNER Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-44_igsZtgU

I kinda liked the first movie. :kiddo:

Petyr Baelish but with an american accent is really weird to me.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Petyr Baelish but with an american accent is really weird to me.

Is it as weird as seeing Carcetti with whatever accent Littlefinger has?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials sounds like a sketch show parody of YA adaptations.

And is there really an organization called WCKD in those movies?!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials sounds like a sketch show parody of YA adaptations.

And is there really an organization called WCKD in those movies?!

Yes, but its an intentionally weird name because literally everything that happens to the main characters is part of a test, even the parts where they think they broke the test and escaped.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

muscles like this? posted:

Yes, but its an intentionally weird name because literally everything that happens to the main characters is part of a test, even the parts where they think they broke the test and escaped.

The post which you replied to is part of the test.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yknow, I've tried really hard to understand the plot of the Maze Runner books, and I still don't get it.

I think this means I am officially old

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn that Pixels movie looks bad (pretty CG tho). Glad it was a hit for your studio but man, what a pile of trash.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Sony is a mess. Still.

This x 100. They hosed up the marketing for Chappie so bad. And then they recut the film for Japan so it could release PG-13 without telling the director (granted, it was only one trim). They do not have their poo poo together.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 20, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BlueBayou posted:

Yknow, I've tried really hard to understand the plot of the Maze Runner books, and I still don't get it.

I think this means I am officially old

The first one is pretty simple "rats in a maze" story.

The rest of them are not really worth thinking about.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1wRv8vTpxo

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

This looks really fun

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
When are we gonna get the film adaptation of Tyra Banks' Modelland that the people have been clamoring for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsiFufZV_4

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Goons, I've been contacted by a producer for a job to cut a trailer for some of his films in post-production because he saw and liked my Supergirl and Last Starfighter trailers, lol. That email took me by surprise. He also linked me his IMDb so I could see the movies he has in post. They are: Condemned, Bone Tomahawk, and Chunk Hank and the San Diego Twins. Which one should I do? The cast for Bone Tomahawk looks cool (Sean Young :allears:), so I'm thinking that one.

Also, I've never been paid to make a trailer. How much do video editors charge per hour? Should I do a flat rate? Clearly I can't charge my usual freelance rate as a graphic designer, because I'm nowhere near a professional at video editing. This is all very amusing/interesting to me. I mean poo poo, I made all my fan trailers in my spare time using Adobe Premiere Pro and Illustrator/Photoshop, haha.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bone Tomahawk and just have it start with a closeup of Kurt Russells magic mustache and slowly zoom out. His eyes stare back at the audience and you cut to a closeup of his dried lips.... they slowly open, you see they are dry and skin flakes off and flies away... suddenly he yells

BOOOOONE

TOMA-loving-HAWK

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Vintersorg posted:

Bone Tomahawk and just have it start with a closeup of Kurt Russells magic mustache and slowly zoom out. His eyes stare back at the audience and you cut to a closeup of his dried lips.... they slowly open, you see they are dry and skin flakes off and flies away... suddenly he yells

BOOOOONE

TOMA-loving-HAWK
Seconding Bone Tomahawk, and give Russell's mustache it's own credit.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Legitimately busted up at Chuck Hank and the San Diego Twins

Also:

quote:

Clearly I can't charge my usual freelance rate as a graphic designer, because I'm nowhere near a professional at video editing.

You are if someone's willing to pay you. Can't hurt to ask, anyway.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 20, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

morestuff posted:

You are if someone's willing to pay you. Can't hurt to ask, anyway.

Gonna chat with the producer over the phone this weekend I think. I went to my older brother for advice about compensation and he said to ask for $50k. I laughed, but he was being serious.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ask for Kurt Russel's stache.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You should ask kiimo for the straight dope. I would say just from a couple decades of working around/with skilled creative freelancers in marketing (in a completely different industry so please keep that strongly in mind) under no circumstances should you get less than 100 bucks per hour. That's the absolute floor for high-talent in-demand freelance creative marketing work. (unless you're desperate or something)

You've got talent, my man.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

Goons, I've been contacted by a producer for a job to cut a trailer for some of his films in post-production because he saw and liked my Supergirl and Last Starfighter trailers, lol. That email took me by surprise. He also linked me his IMDb so I could see the movies he has in post. They are: Condemned, Bone Tomahawk, and Chunk Hank and the San Diego Twins. Which one should I do? The cast for Bone Tomahawk looks cool (Sean Young :allears:), so I'm thinking that one.

Also, I've never been paid to make a trailer. How much do video editors charge per hour? Should I do a flat rate? Clearly I can't charge my usual freelance rate as a graphic designer, because I'm nowhere near a professional at video editing. This is all very amusing/interesting to me. I mean poo poo, I made all my fan trailers in my spare time using Adobe Premiere Pro and Illustrator/Photoshop, haha.

Bone Tomahawk sounds like super extremely my poo poo and has a fantastic cast, do that

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's interesting how this seems to be an inverse of Hook thematically.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I hope Bone Tomahawk isn't off limits! Looks like Bone Tomahawk is a go. Talking with the producer Friday morning. Exciting! Will give you guys the deets afterward.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You should ask kiimo for the straight dope. I would say just from a couple decades of working around/with skilled creative freelancers in marketing (in a completely different industry so please keep that strongly in mind) under no circumstances should you get less than 100 bucks per hour. That's the absolute floor for high-talent in-demand freelance creative marketing work. (unless you're desperate or something)

You've got talent, my man.

Good idea. I just PM'd kiimo, heh. And thanks for the compliment :shobon:

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 20, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teagone posted:

Also, I've never been paid to make a trailer. How much do video editors charge per hour? Should I do a flat rate?

When it comes to any sort of professional services work -- web design / dev, video production / editing, graphic design, consulting, etc. -- don't ever, ever, ever charge a flat rate, always bill hourly. You will inevitably lose your rear end on a flat-bid job, between revisions, delivery, etc., and it sucks.

How much should you charge? Basically, there are two methods to set your rate: The floor and the ceiling.

With the floor, that's setting your minimum rate, the rate to justify your time and the project that you're doing. Because it would be freelance / contract work, there’s a good chance you will be a 1099 worker, so you’ll need to budget somewhere around 30 percent extra for self-employment tax, etc.

For example, let’s say you have $40,000 in actual expenses for the year, including rent, food, etc. Your IRS tax bracket is 25 percent, so tack on an additional $10,000 for federal taxes and $5,000 for state and local taxes. So you're at $55,000. Once you have your mandatory annual income -- literally the money you need to survive -- divide that by 2,080. In this example, your required hourly rate is $26.44 per hour.

But there's something that almost everyone invariably gets wrong, in that they assume that every hour they’re clocked into work, they’re doing billable work. That’s far, far, far from the truth. The reality is that freelancers are lucky to get 2/3 utilization, and a better, safer estimate is 50 percent. The rest is spent on admin work, time building your business, etc. So apply the appropriate multiplier based on what you would best guess your utilization rate to be. If you’re just getting started out, assume 50 percent to start. That would mean your billable hourly rate would be $52.88 / hour. That’s really the absolute floor, and you've barely built any real profit margin in there. With creative services work, the cheapest you can get anyone to do anything in my area (Madison, Wisconsin) is $125, and I'm currently paying a freelancer $225 for cutting some TV commercials for me. So again, that's the floor method of rate-setting.

The ceiling is where you make the big money, but it’s significantly harder to assess without a lot of experience. The ceiling fundamentally is based on how much your work is worth to your client. For example, let’s say you’ve been asked to speak at a conference and you’re a popular speaker. You know that you can put 50 butts in seats just by telling people that you’ll be there. You know that the conference is charging $495 per ticket. Effectively, your value to the conference is $495 x 50, or $24,750. If you don’t speak, the conference may or may not fill those seats. It’s reasonable, therefore, to ask for a percentage of that ticket fee as your pay.

So think of the contrast there. If you charged your floor rate of $52.88 / hour, even if you billed for an entire day for the conference, you’d only make $423 at floor rate. If you got 50% of tickets sold through an affiliate agreement (assuming 50 seats at $495 / seat), you’d get $12,375. In the case of a trailer, the question becomes how much is each view worth to the client, and can you deliver a product that will generate those views? That’s a really, really gigantic difference, and it’s why you should look to finding the ceiling as quickly as possible without ever violating the floor.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Time to place a phone call to kiimo

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Most of my editors get paid between 450 and 600 a day depending on seniority. Overtime is paid after 10 hours per day. Good luck!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

teagone posted:

Gonna chat with the producer over the phone this weekend I think. I went to my older brother for advice about compensation and he said to ask for $50k. I laughed, but he was being serious.

Wow some crazy numbers thrown around here. To do one trailer with three revisions would be like 3-5 grand in this town if you do it in a week. Studios pay trailer houses like 45-50 for huge movies with big budgets and that includes a dedicated team of like 4 editors to get a major trailer out along with producers, writers, music team, finishers and AEs.

I'd say being a new person charge like three grand for 7 days of work and only 3 revisions and after that go hourly. People making 200 dollars an hour or whatever are editors working on actual big budget films, not a trailer. For small studios with tiny budgets (though we avoid these usually) we'd only charge like 7 grand and put a junior editor and junior producer on it. But that's a company, not an individual.

Sorry if I stole the dollar signs out of your eyes but you don't want to out-price yourself from some work you can put on a reel later.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Three grand is a pretty loving decent chunk of change for something he was doing in his spare time already, I don't think you stole any dollar signs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kiimo posted:

Wow some crazy numbers thrown around here. To do one trailer with three revisions would be like 3-5 grand in this town if you do it in a week. Studios pay trailer houses like 45-50 for huge movies with big budgets and that includes a dedicated team of like 4 editors to get a major trailer out along with producers, writers, music team, finishers and AEs.

I'd say being a new person charge like three grand for 7 days of work and only 3 revisions and after that go hourly. People making 200 dollars an hour or whatever are editors working on actual big budget films, not a trailer. For small studios with tiny budgets (though we avoid these usually) we'd only charge like 7 grand and put a junior editor and junior producer on it. But that's a company, not an individual.

Sorry if I stole the dollar signs out of your eyes but you don't want to out-price yourself from some work you can put on a reel later.

This is all brilliant, thanks again! And yeah, I totally was NOT expecting to make anywhere near $50k lol. Like I said, I just laughed at my brother because he was being dead serious. He was likely hoping he could take out a loan from me or something haha.

[edit] I also want to thank everyone else for their feedback and suggestions :D

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 21, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

Fair.

Sony is a mess. Still.

The Cobbler is pretty bad (this coming from a cobbler, even) but would that be considered an 'official' Sandler flick? I mean, the movie is all over the place anyways.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Cool so I'm paying my editors about the same as yours!

kiimo posted:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdS1C1MwRg

I felt like dicking around in Premiere, since I sorta vaguely know what I'm doing in it from an audio-video production class in high school. I ended up with a fan trailer for Mad Max 2. I have never cut a movie trailer before. There's one edit that feels a little clunky to me, but other than that, I'm surprisingly pleased with how it turned out.

Is it :mediocre: or do I get to go to Valhalla?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 22, 2015

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BUTT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwZ9P-GcCIw

I felt like dicking around in Premiere, since I sorta vaguely know what I'm doing in it from an audio-video production class in high school. I ended up with a fan trailer for Mad Max 2. I have never cut a movie trailer before. There's one edit that feels a little clunky to me, but other than that, I'm surprisingly pleased with how it turned out.

Is it :mediocre: or do I get to go to Valhalla?

This video has been removed by the user :iiam: :spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:ssh: had to fix the audio balance, look again

• Locked thread