Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DirtyRat
Nov 30, 2004
I played TF2 on a first generation surface pro for a while when I was traveling... I had to turn some things down, but it worked well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

wayne curr posted:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Triclops
"It is awarded to players who complete the All-Star Agent achievement in Super Monday Night Combat."

So, you have to win 20 games to unlock that achievement. Problem is...
http://steamcharts.com/app/104700#All
:negative:

I played that game until I got the hat, never touched it again.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I unironically loved SMNC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

wayne curr posted:

nope.
You have to play the game to get the TF2 items.

Oh poo poo! :monocle:

edit: No really, I didn't know they could do that!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

If people formed teams and wanted to play for the items, I'd happily get involved.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Oh poo poo! :monocle:

edit: No really, I didn't know they could do that!

Spiral Knights was the first one to lock stuff like that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

If people formed teams and wanted to play for the items, I'd happily get involved.

For what it's worth, it's not a bad game. The biggest drawback was the developers making some pretty classic errors trying to monetize classes. The core game play is pretty fun.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Uber being Uber, they also had zero clue about game balance.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Kaal posted:

For what it's worth, it's not a bad game. The biggest drawback was the developers making some pretty classic errors trying to monetize classes. The core game play is pretty fun.

YA if you read up on the game the devs hosed it all up and then bailed for the consoles.

I only ever played it cuz my kids liked it.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Kaal posted:

I wish it didn't die so hard.

JB50 posted:

YA if you read up on the game the devs hosed it all up and then bailed for the consoles.

I want to point out how wrong you are about this, but then I realise nobody cares.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I wish it didn't die so hard.

I want to point out how wrong you are about this, but then I realise nobody cares.

Dont take my word for it:

http://clevermusings.net/2013/01/i-used-to-play-super-mnc/

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Played a lot of SMNC too. There was a bunch of poo poo, with some not uber's fault and others absolutely uber's fault.

-Uber made a game in a business model that really depends on regular content updates : F2P.
-5 stacks would GO UP AGAINST NON-5-STACKS AND gently caress UP PEOPLE SO HARD THEY WOULD QUIT THE GAME
-Game was sort of like MNC, but tried a bunch of new poo poo enough to alienate most MNC players with stuff.
-Was a shooter (hybrid dotaclone shooter, sure, but a shooter) with essentially two or three maps at it's prime and you couldn't select which map you wanted to play.
-Game update would require redownloading almost the entire game.
-Allegedly accidentally released the game, and instead of putting it back into beta where it remains free of criticism via "its just a beta!", they kept it released making people believe that this was the 1.0 they wanted to deliver in exchange for a very slight playerbase boost (could have gone open beta for that).
-Aimbots with no anti-cheat led to a volunteer system being pretty much the only source of getting rid of cheaters.
-No spectating for a game that wanted to be an e-sport.
-Userbase might have had some people who were supportive, but others were a mix of the worst of shooter communities and the worst of dota communities : they would play in 5 stacks that would GO UP AGAINST NON-5-STACKS AND gently caress UP PEOPLE SO HARD THEY WOULD QUIT THE GAME
-Game had a TF2 crosspromo and still died.

They probably should have just made the game a $15 game for PC + Consoles (they probably could have gotten it on 360 at least) with 1 or 2 new maps and the rest being "borrowed" MNC maps at launch, and any cuts/changes required to get the game out on consoles would probably be well worth it.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 22, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I liked SMNC a lot but as other people covered pretty well, the devs screwed up really bad in a lot of ways and ran a promising game into the ground before it really had a chance.

I keep hoping they'll do an MNC2 or relaunch SMNC or something but it's clear by now that Uber has just abandoned the franchise entirely.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

I won't - Mainly because it's fundamentally wrong. They didn't "Ditch SMNC for consoles" because - They didn't.

lovely Wizard posted:

Played a lot of SMNC too. There was a bunch of poo poo, with some not uber's fault and others absolutely uber's fault.

-Uber made a game in a business model that really depends on regular content updates : F2P.
-5 stacks would GO UP AGAINST NON-5-STACKS AND gently caress UP PEOPLE SO HARD THEY WOULD QUIT THE GAME
-Game was sort of like MNC, but tried a bunch of new poo poo enough to alienate most MNC players with stuff.
-Was a shooter (hybrid dotaclone shooter, sure, but a shooter) with essentially two or three maps at it's prime and you couldn't select which map you wanted to play.
-Game update would require redownloading almost the entire game.
-Allegedly accidentally released the game, and instead of putting it back into beta where it remains free of criticism via "its just a beta!", they kept it released making people believe that this was the 1.0 they wanted to deliver in exchange for a very slight playerbase boost (could have gone open beta for that).
-Aimbots with no anti-cheat led to a volunteer system being pretty much the only source of getting rid of cheaters.
-No spectating for a game that wanted to be an e-sport.
-Userbase might have had some people who were supportive, but others were a mix of the worst of shooter communities and the worst of dota communities : they would play in 5 stacks that would GO UP AGAINST NON-5-STACKS AND gently caress UP PEOPLE SO HARD THEY WOULD QUIT THE GAME
-Game had a TF2 crosspromo and still died.

They probably should have just made the game a $15 game for PC + Consoles (they probably could have gotten it on 360 at least) with 1 or 2 new maps and the rest being "borrowed" MNC maps at launch, and any cuts/changes required to get the game out on consoles would probably be well worth it.

More truth in this post than the entire article you linked.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I won't - Mainly because it's fundamentally wrong. They didn't "Ditch SMNC for consoles" because - They didn't.

More truth in this post than the entire article you linked.

Well they ditched it, not for consoles, but they ditched it.

Last update on their news page is from 3/15/2013

JB50 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 22, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Didn't they make Loadout though? I remember playing it and thinking "wow, I hate this. Also it's kinda like SMNC."

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

JB50 posted:

Well they ditched it, not for consoles, but they ditched it.

That's closer to the truth.

They ditched SMNC because the game rotted away from within. An irredeemably toxic community stomped the life out of whatever fledgling player base was starting to flourish - the game got influxes of players from TF2 promos, gaming website giveaways - even total biscuit had a special weekend and in-game items added in his honor, and a crack team of assholes united to make sure that every new wave of players was welcomed with cheap, lovely tactics and exploited bugs - making games insufferable and awful, any reach out for help was derided and mocked - even the internal testing team was majority made up of pricks and scoundrels. The game was a good concept, on shaky ground that could have been salvaged and made great, but the very people playing it didn't want to share their toys and instead opted for mutually assured destruction.

Why do I know this poo poo? Because I was a mega fanboy that visited UBER hq personally to talk to the team behind SMNC and get their view on it. SMNC is a lot of things, but at it's core it just....sad.

Theta Zero posted:

Didn't they make Loadout though? I remember playing it and thinking "wow, I hate this. Also it's kinda like SMNC."

Different team/company (Edge of Reality), but Loadout did use the UBERnet framework for online stuff. I think there was some collegial interaction between the companies, but nothing that was actually considered joint development.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nah, Loadout was made by Edge of Reality. They made pretty much the same mistakes with Loadout as Uber did with SMNC though; enabling pubstomping, lovely business model, no anticheat. The latter was compounded by the best weapon combination in the game being a hitscan laser.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 22, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What's a 5 stack

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Collateral Damage posted:

Nah, Loadout was made by Edge of Reality. They made pretty much the same mistakes with Loadout as Uber did with SMNC though; enabling pubstomping, lovely business model, no anticheat. The latter was compounded by the best weapon combination in the game being a hitscan laser.

That and they took too long to make content or patch as well. More games just need to imitate Warframe and just patch as fast as you loving can and not care about consequences as long as it's not breaking the entirety of the game. Run while making GBS threads aka push out stuff as fast as you can if you're going to be a F2P game.

IronicDongz posted:

What's a 5 stack

A full party of 5 players, it's like if you brought in 12 players who are you and your friends to play against 12 random pubbies.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Video games are so weird. I have played 100 times as many hours with the in game scout socks and hat that I got from monday night combat than the actual game itself. This applies to worms and a total war game as well.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

The SMNC announcers might have been the best voiceovers in any game I've ever played and it depresses the hell out of me that I'll never hear their mid round banter ever again.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm glad their last kickstarter failed. They hosed up SMNC, abandoned it, made Planetary Annihilation, hosed that up, and then tried abandoning it for a new game.

RIP Cheston: too good for this world

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Grapplejack posted:

I'm glad their last kickstarter failed. They hosed up SMNC, abandoned it, made Planetary Annihilation, hosed that up, and then tried abandoning it for a new game.

RIP Cheston: too good for this world

What was the deal with both of those?

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
I forget why I never got around to playing SMNC, even after enjoying MNC. Didn't Uber do something stupid like hide a Bitcoin miner in the code and play it off as an April Fools' joke?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

To continue the derail somewhat, is or has there been any other first person moba? I quite enjoyed the basic gameplay of SMNC.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

To continue the derail somewhat, is or has there been any other first person moba? I quite enjoyed the basic gameplay of SMNC.

Orcs Must Die 3 is third person but basically that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Anarch posted:

I forget why I never got around to playing SMNC, even after enjoying MNC. Didn't Uber do something stupid like hide a Bitcoin miner in the code and play it off as an April Fools' joke?
They didn't hide it, they promoted it as an alternate way to get their equivalent of crate keys. I'm not sure if you noticed, but the SMNC team weren't enormously intelligent.

You missed the bit where they released a MvM-style co-op mode in beta for testing for a while... then removed the beta, made the new game mode exclusive to the PS4 version, and fired their PC dev team.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

You missed the bit where they released a MvM-style co-op mode in beta for testing for a while... then removed the beta, made the new game mode exclusive to the PS4 version, and fired their PC dev team.
I quit playing before that. I read the Loadout thread for a bit longer and remember having to pick my eyeballs off the floor because they rolled so hard when I read about that change.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I tried playing Loadout once and got really bored really quick cause pretty much all my options were damage beams or heal beams and everyone else was better with beams than me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yup.

We've got this awesome weapon customization system where you can build all kinds of neat guns! ... except the only gun worth a drat is a beam sniper which reduces the game to (to paraphrase ZP) a point and click adventure game where the only puzzle is "Use Gun on Man"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only innovation Loadout came up with that every game in the world needs to copy is that taunting while standing on a capture zone makes it capture faster.

It's genius.. you get a little bonus if you do it, but are unable to respond to attacks. And everyone gets to see goofy animations!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I would have loved to try other weapons, gently caress beams, the problem was that I didn't have any.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

xzzy posted:

The only innovation Loadout came up with that every game in the world needs to copy is that taunting while standing on a capture zone makes it capture faster.

It's genius.. you get a little bonus if you do it, but are unable to respond to attacks. And everyone gets to see goofy animations!

the best taunt was the pole dance:

if you were close enough to a capture point, instead of just making a pole appear your character would snap to the capture point's pole

spinning naked around a pole to capture a point faster while people shoot lasers at you is a good gameplay experience

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I switched over from Valve servers to Skial and I'm getting owned real bad! Help!!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

notZaar posted:

I switched over from Valve servers to Skial and I'm getting owned real bad! Help!!

pay them money so the owned becomes the owner

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Skial doesn't have any donator bullshit, at least not anymore. You're thinking of saigns. Skial is now pretty typical pub experience, just a notch above Valve servers I'd say.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah saigns had the pay to win stuff. Skial was the one that used to fake player counts but I don't think they do that anymore.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
SMNC was probably one of my favorite, consistent games to group up with people. The Reticulated Splines mumble always had a full group going each night for like 6 months straight. Honestly though we were just a part of the problem because it'd be rare for us to lose, I imagine it's an issue with many team based shooters though that competent goons team up for. SMNC I had like a 200-75 record but Titanfall it was like 150-15 and that game failed in a pretty similar way.

Pretty weird popping into the TF2 thread after a couple years and seeing SMNC talk haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lblitzer posted:

I imagine it's an issue with many team based shooters though that competent goons team up for. SMNC I had like a 200-75 record but Titanfall it was like 150-15 and that game failed in a pretty similar way.
It's fine if premade groups primarily get matched against other premade groups of similar size, but SMNC never had a matchmaker like that. A 5 man group could (and most likely would) get matched against 5 uncoordinated pubbies. Predictably, this isn't very fun for the pubbies and not good for the game.

• Locked thread