Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mido posted:

edit: yes $60/hr is really really low

I was about to chastise you for it not being literally triple that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mido posted:

:dogstare:

srsly, 3x that

i've got this thing compiled, built, linked, w/e, it's up and running and failing trying to load the checkpoint data. it smells like a size/alingnment/endianness thing, have to comb through the symbols & changes to see what I broke

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mido posted:

:mrgw: looks like my name is on someone's short list for good emb-c devs

looks like i might soon be quoting some startup $60/hr for 2 weeks of side-job work writing some low level drivers to poll adcs on command, easy $1.5k i'll be chatting with them tomorrow about more specifics

dude wtf r u doin

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
last time I charged $60 for sidework was while I was in college, and that wasn't even embedded poo poo

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

dude wtf r u doin

writing like 5 functions that the non low level dude can call

it's like 100-200 lines at most and most of the unknowns and time sink will just be loving with Keil tools and maybe pokin a trace with a probe when the adc doesn't react as anticipated

I'm p bad at gauging how much my time is worth but my fear here is all the unknowns, don't wanna bill $300hr on something that doesn't pan out or maybe I don't end up with enough spare time to weekend warrior it etc

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Mido posted:

writing like 5 functions that the non low level dude can call

it's like 100-200 lines at most and most of the unknowns and time sink will just be loving with Keil tools and maybe pokin a trace with a probe when the adc doesn't react as anticipated

I'm p bad at gauging how much my time is worth but my fear here is all the unknowns, don't wanna bill $300hr on something that doesn't pan out or maybe I don't end up with enough spare time to weekend warrior it etc

at least go for $150

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ChiralCondensate posted:

at least go for $150

ok will do

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mido posted:

I'm p bad at gauging how much my time is worth

you don't say.

if those five functions are so easy to write that some other dude over there can knock em out with 30 minutes of googling then let them do just that

if hey actually those functions require some experience to develop then they can pay you what your time is actually worth to do them

otherwise you just look desperate and you're going to get walked over.

remember that your contracting rate per hour, all else being equal, should be (at least) 2x your expected salary after conversion into an hourly rate because you have no job security or benefits while contracting.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
fwiw i too am awful at negotiating and knowing what my time is worth etc but i do know at least that $60/hr for freelance embedded dev work is so low as to not get you taken seriously.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

fwiw i too am awful at negotiating and knowing what my time is worth etc but i do know at least that $60/hr for freelance embedded dev work is so low as to not get you taken seriously.

:agreed: subconsciously I think I knew 60 was low enough and needed yosposters to make fun of me

thanks team

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:glomp:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
this is a bit distant from this thread's usual discussion topic of boring stuff like microcontrollers and other tiny computer, but does anyone know if there are any good books on pulsed power circuit design?

I have this 6x225 uf 1.5kv laser capacitor (6 caps in one case, sharing a common ground terminal) and I need to figure out how to build the rest of a pulse forming network. Also I need to figure out a way to keep the crusher coil I'll be connecting it to from ringing, since the capacitor's only rated for 20% voltage reversal

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

this is a bit distant from this thread's usual discussion topic of boring stuff like microcontrollers and other tiny computer, but does anyone know if there are any good books on pulsed power circuit design?

I have this 6x225 uf 1.5kv laser capacitor (6 caps in one case, sharing a common ground terminal) and I need to figure out how to build the rest of a pulse forming network. Also I need to figure out a way to keep the crusher coil I'll be connecting it to from ringing, since the capacitor's only rated for 20% voltage reversal

how's noise bridge??

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mido posted:

how's noise bridge??

i ain't goin' there to let someone poo poo on my capacitor

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

don't know where besides the gray forums he frequents, but three phase might have some ideas

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I have a sick af power book at work but I think it's mostly switching supplies and may be irrelevant for hv poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

I have a sick af power book at work but I think it's mostly switching supplies and may be irrelevant for hv poo poo

it is power electronics by Hart. im not sure if its actually good i havent used it in a while but the class that used it was real good. lookin at the toc it is probably irrelevant to youre work tho.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

just got off the phone with the startup that needs emb-c work

i put my dick on the table at $150/hr and a dead silence dropped :lol: i stuck to my guns though

it sounds like they want to put 2-3 hours down for a research spike so i can look at the tools and maybe just give their main programmer guy a jumpstart on the magical world of embedded C

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol 'cause digging their lead programmer out of a hole so their company goes from "nobody here knows what to do" to "we can now build our product" is only worth a couple hundo

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Raluek posted:

lol 'cause digging their lead programmer out of a hole so their company goes from "nobody here knows what to do" to "we can now build our product" is only worth a couple hundo

this is sounding familiar

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I want to consult

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

by which I mean make 3x more

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

what they really wanted was a magical enthusiastic team friend to join up and get paid for ~passion~

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Bloody posted:

it is power electronics by Hart. im not sure if its actually good i havent used it in a while but the class that used it was real good. lookin at the toc it is probably irrelevant to youre work tho.

I asked in the industrial electricity A/T thread and a former General Atomics capacitor sales engineer showed up :v:

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.
the beagle bone is pretty cool if you use the PRU. you have to pay texas instruments multiple earth dollars if you want to program it in anything more advanced than assembly, tho.

beefy next gen beagle board comes with dsps too, but it's not out yet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mathhole posted:

the beagle bone is pretty cool if you use the PRU. you have to pay texas instruments multiple earth dollars if you want to program it in anything more advanced than assembly, tho.

beefy next gen beagle board comes with dsps too, but it's not out yet

theres actually an open source C(++) tool chain for all that. you have to pay TI if you want to use their closed source toolchain with code composer studio. I've compiled plenty of stuff for ti OMAPs and Sitara processors without paying TI a cent

i'm working with this board right now, its basically a beagle bone black (thats the one with a am3359 right) with all the IO routed to actual connectors which is quite handy for industrial type stuff

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
lol

"bettery holder"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

engrish schematics best schematics

broken encoding so you can't search too

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT600.html hail satan

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:sigh: i decided to tell those guys that i'm just too busy to take on a low level C project but can field some basic no guarantees questions in the future if they need

truthfully they are just super weird and don't have their poo poo together and I don't wanna deal with another startup where some dudes without real funding or planning skills. their product is dumb as poo poo too and will never work

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

they don't have funding yet and want to make a super over complicated prototype before their kickstarter (lol) with bells and whistles that are really fiddly and error prone without a lot of involved signal processing that they wanna offload through BTLE to a phone and just ugh

I don't know why people don't just fukkin use arduinos and poo poo to test their dumb theories

The Ghost Writer
Jun 27, 2012
:ghost:
Shameful Outlet
you made the right call

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

current school status:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

current school status:

avrs are fun lil chips

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mido posted:

they don't have funding yet and want to make a super over complicated prototype before their kickstarter (lol) with bells and whistles that are really fiddly and error prone without a lot of involved signal processing that they wanna offload through BTLE to a phone and just ugh

we've been keeping the 'well maybe we can offload the computation to the host and send the results back' option on the table for a 'oh god everything else we tried failed' situation

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c electron s: 12+ inches of clock skew & slow as heck flip flops => :rip:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

fritz posted:

we've been keeping the 'well maybe we can offload the computation to the host and send the results back' option on the table for a 'oh god everything else we tried failed' situation

that's cool depending on the characteristics of the data channels and what the data is

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

c electron s: 12+ inches of clock

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mido posted:

that's cool depending on the characteristics of the data channels and what the data is

no

you've got enough horsepower to manage a BTLE stack, that sets a lower bound on the peripheral compute capability. now you've got a 20b/s (spec is 35KB/s thru, but that's in an EMI chamber with full control of when packets/notifications are sunk) channel out to something a few orders of magnitude better, and from there if latency is not important you're punting to essentially infinite resources in the cloud

stopping at the phone is almost never going to be the right answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Somewhat tangentially related but the RISC-V project published their supervisor ISA spec recently, to complement their already published user ISA spec.

http://riscv.org/download.html#tab_isaspec

Hopefully we'll see real silicon for this thing sometime this year because the architecture itself is very :flashfap:

• Locked thread