Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Moridin920 posted:

But Theon arrived there through his bad choices. He should have just sacked Winterfell and gone back to his dad and been like "see bitch I told you I was no wolf" and have done with it.
It would have been so easy for him to raid Winterfell and take Bran and Rickon back to the Iron Islands as hostages, but nooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

It would have been so easy for him to raid Winterfell and take Bran and Rickon back to the Iron Islands as hostages, but nooo

Yeah that would have been a way better move. He would have basically won the war single handedly instead of just dicking around on some boats like his dad wanted him to do.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Moridin920 posted:

He's suffering the consequences of his own hubris and pride.

Sexual humilation, genital mutilation, dehumanization and everything that has happened to him seems a bit of a steep price to pay for hubris and pride.

Theon is suffering the consequences of Ramsay being aware of his existence. The same as Sansa is. The same as everyone in the videogames are. It's not justice or comeuppance or anything else, if you get near Ramsay he will ruin you. There's no method to his madness beyond not wanting to be bored, no greater depth to him beyond wanting his father to love and be proud of him in some sick, twisted way.

Chaos is a ladder and Ramsay is taking the escalator.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jesto posted:

Sexual humilation, genital mutilation, dehumanization and everything that has happened to him seems a bit of a steep price to pay for hubris and pride.

Theon is suffering the consequences of Ramsay being aware of his existence. The same as Sansa is. The same as everyone in the videogames are. It's not justice or comeuppance or anything else, if you get near Ramsay he will ruin you. There's no method to his madness beyond not wanting to be bored, no greater depth to him beyond wanting his father to love and be proud of him in some sick, twisted way.

I didn't say it wasn't a steep price or that it was deserved but it's still a result of deliberate choices that he made. He didn't even get intrigued into doing what he did like most other characters. He just made a bad decision and doubled down when he should have bailed and that's why he is where he is. Sansa is just getting passed around like a baton.

He wouldn't have been near Ramsay if he wasn't trying to hold Winterfell with 20 dudes for some dumbfuck reason.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

He wouldn't have been near Ramsay if he wasn't trying to hold Winterfell with 20 dudes for some dumbfuck reason

He got peer-pressured by his lieutenant, the dude who gut stabbed Maester Llewyn.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hexel posted:

He got peer-pressured by his lieutenant, the dude who gut stabbed Maester Llewyn.

as dumb gently caress a reason as any imo

He's the heir to the Iron Islands and he's listening to some lieutenant telling him what to do after his dad and his sister pounded it into his head that Iron Islanders aren't just pussies who bow down to the first authority figure that tries to assert itself?

He was just mad at his family and realizing he liked the Starks more and wanted to try and become a Stark or something subconsciously and that's why he was obsessed with being the Prince of Winterfell. Like 'gently caress you dad if I can't have the Iron Islands I'll have this instead!'

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Jesto posted:

No one deserves to be sexually humiliated or mutilated.
'Hubris' and 'pride' are an understatement though. He got a lot of people killed, and murdered 2 innocent children, burned them, and hung them up.

It's easy to forget where the redemption arcs actually started in this show, which is probably a good thing because they manage to make us feel for scumbag characters.

Like Jaime pushing a loving kid out of a window so he could keep the secret of loving his sister.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 22, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7xO5P3Az4

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Baldbeard posted:

'Hubris' and 'pride' are an understatement though. He got a lot of people killed, and murdered 2 innocent children, burned them, and hung them up.

He could have personally strangled a thousand orphans to death, made a boat out of them, sailed to Dorne and intentionally taught the Sandsnakes how to fight poorly as a joke and it wouldn't have mattered in the context of how the world seems to work.

Game of Thrones has never been about what people have earned, or whether they've suffered enough, or whether they've been kind enough to have some mercy tossed their way.

There's a repeated theme that Ned is an honorable man, and he died for being his beliefs of honor, chivalry, justice and kindness. A repeated theme that if the Gods are watching, they're indifferent or outright malicious, given Oberyn's death despite his righteous quest and Tyrion's innocence. A repeated theme of failure despite good intentions, Brienne's quest to bring peace to a wartorn family being thwarted at every turn.

In the world of GoT where everyone lives, dies and suffers based purely on how the dice rolled things for them, Sansa's situation is no better or worse or objectionable than Theon's is to me. The only thing that matters is the character's capability to drag themselves out of their own personal hells, however they can.

Theon's completely broken and doesn't seem like he'll be capable of that anymore. I'm curious to see if Sansa spends the rest of the 24 episodes left in GoT in inaction, letting the people around her make her suffer. I'm doubting she will.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

The Ramsey, Theon, and Myranda trio was pure...torture.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Moridin920 posted:

Based on what? She doesn't inherit the Vale and while the knights and lords of the Vale wanted to help the Starks in their war it's kind of too late for that now. If given a choice between open rebellion and handing Sansa back to KL I think they'd do the latter but either way it's a bit of a gamble. The potential consequence was probably too high for Sansa.

Possibly that. Or something equally lovely that involves using her as a bargaining piece. The point is, as you say, it's a gamble. The lords of the Vale were a complete unknown quantity, and Littlefinger wasn't. As a few people have said of Sansa's decisions, she literally doesn't know what we know. We know the extent to which Littlefinger is a piece of poo poo, or the insane degree to which Ramsay is a psychopath, but there is no reason for her to be aware of any of it.

All Sansa could know of the Boltons is what is publicly known: they're ruthless but calculating, and crave legitimacy in the North amidst an extremely bad PR problem. Sansa undoubtedly knows their reputation for flaying prisoners and their complicity in the Red Wedding, but Ramsay being a sadist maniac who'd torture her for fun isn't a part of that. She signed on for a marriage of political convenience, trading one gilded cage for another. There's no reason she should "know better" than that...Ramsay's disposition could just as easily have been reluctant and kind like Tyrion, or passionless and businesslike like Roose seems to be with Walda, or respectful but formal like her own parents when they first married. The reality that he is a vile, monstrous animal is only "obvious" from the more objective vantage we have as viewers.

Baldbeard posted:

No one deserves to be sexually humiliated or mutilated.

That's why the Ramsay torture plotline was so effective: most people have totally forgotten what an rear end in a top hat Theon was in S2. If Theon had disappeared and showed up as Reek in S4, it wouldn't have been a fraction as compelling because the sheer extreme of his "punishment" sold his transformation so thoroughly.

I've heard the showrunners want 7 seasons, but that HBO wants literally as infinitely many as is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the end result is 8 or 9, as the plotlines through the end of the story crystalize.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The tragedy of Theon is that no matter whichever way he took, one side of the conflict (or both) would have called him a coward and a traitor. Dude's been a prisoner to his own heritage and mistakes of others.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jesto posted:

There's also the bit where he murdered two random children and then set their corpses on fire.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

There's also the bit where he murdered two random children and then set their corpses on fire.
In his defence, at least it was in that order.

Because we all know what Ramsay would've done.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

There are some rough parts but Rastafarian Targaryen makes it all worth it.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Holy poo poo, Coldplay has finally done something good.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

emilia clarke rules so hard lmbo

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Jesto posted:

Also, the show is planned for 7 seasons, right? That means we have 24 episodes of GoT left? Somehow that seems like so little time to resolve all these plots they've set up. Unless the plan is to just murder as many characters as possible and narrow down the cast ASAP for the final two seasons.

The lazy writer is just going to sell the final novel on amazon in e form and it is literally just going to be: The white walkers used magic to knock down the wall and killed everyone everywhere. Thanks for the $20 suckers!

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Elephanthead posted:

The lazy writer is just going to sell the final novel on amazon in e form and it is literally just going to be: The white walkers used magic to knock down the wall and killed everyone everywhere. Thanks for the $20 suckers!

Is that stupid horn accounted for, or what?

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

Rastafarian Targaryen :lol:

Everyone needs to watch this.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Kerrow posted:

Came here to post the link, it is hilarious.
12 minute long spoof documentary about the making of Game of Thrones : The Musical with loads of the cast for anyone who is wondering what it is all about.
The lyrics to Jamie's song are brilliant.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

All Sansa has to do is wait for Stannis to show up. Ramsay dead, marriage anulled, a Stark in Winterfell throwing the North behind Stannis. He'd be insane not to set her up as Lady of Winterfell and finally get one of the Seven Kingdoms to acknowledge him as lawful King.

LF clearly believes Stannis is going to kick the Bolton's asses, why else would he be trying to get the Lannisters sucked into invading the North in winter? They'd turn around and come home completely un-killed if the Boltons won.

I don't think Littlefinger wants any of them to win; he wants them to beat the utter poo poo out of each other I'd guess, including having a bunch of frozen Lannister troops that can't fight in the snow up there to attack the winner, whoever that may be.

The fact he's moving his own troops that way sure adds to that theory. Unless he only wants the Lannisters to push out simply to leave Cersei at the hands of her crazy armed zealots she's created, and is just milking an unexpected situation.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

I've heard the showrunners want 7 seasons, but that HBO wants literally as infinitely many as is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the end result is 8 or 9, as the plotlines through the end of the story crystalize.

It really feels like they need 8 to have a proper ending, to me.

Rarely do I say a show needs *8* seasons to tell a story, but I think 7 would be pushing it just a little too under the wire.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kerrow posted:

0/10

Red Wedding wasn't Robb's wedding.

:goonsay:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would like to see Liam Neeson in Game of Thrones now.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

RBA Starblade posted:

I would like to see Liam Neeson in Game of Thrones now.

He should have been the Kingsguard sent to rescue Myrcella instead of Jaime.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I keep going back and forth between laughing and wanting to vomit :lol:

E: Best part of the doc is anytime Mark Addy is on camera.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 22, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maybe it's the clothing or the haircut, but Theon's actor looks way more bat poo poo crazy than Ramsey Snow there.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Blazing Ownager posted:

Maybe it's the clothing or the haircut, but Theon's actor looks way more bat poo poo crazy than Ramsey Snow there.
Iwan isn't smiling

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I'm just happy Rose Leslie was there

The Targaryen song both rules and is kinda racist and I am conflicted

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blazing Ownager posted:

Ya know, looking at that sausage gif from the previous page, Ramsay has really cleaned himself up over the seasons. There he looked like a gross goon but in this most recent season it seems plausible that Myranda would want to get with him even outside the, you know, fear of torture and death for displeasing her lord

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

I'm just happy Rose Leslie was there

The Targaryen song both rules and is kinda racist and I am conflicted

Why is it racist?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Mr Beens posted:

Why is it racist?

Because it's a bunch of white people appropriating a musical style of a disadvantaged group and throwing in an embellished fake accent for comedic effect.

It's basically racist like Apu is racist. I still enjoyed it, even that part, it's just a bit iffy

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

JT Jag posted:

Iwan isn't smiling

Iwan is the most adorable cooky fucker ever. Love that glorious bastard.. :swoon:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Why does Sansa spend years, or however long, in court in King's Landing watching people being sassy bitches to each other to have virtually no lines of dialogue once she's out of there? I would have much less of a problem with her interactions with Ramsey if she had have done a single thing to try and sway him.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Tons of pages since the liveposts, but didn't see this in the past couple.

An article popped up on facebook with a brief interview with one of the Sand Snake actresses, basically plugging all the hard work that went into that fight. They trained for months.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Um can that Red Wedding song be a fully made real song. Cause that was pretty great

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bobo the Red posted:

Because it's a bunch of white people appropriating a musical style of a disadvantaged group and throwing in an embellished fake accent for comedic effect.

I really don't think a country best known for weed, bobsledding and lovely steel drum music gives a poo poo if we poke fun at their stupid accents.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
'ey mon, check yo privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

It's basically racist like Apu is racist. I still enjoyed it, even that part, it's just a bit iffy

Do a google search for White Reggae and have you mind blown.

• Locked thread