Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

b2n posted:

Does anyone know a good website for restaurant reviews, that also includes average meal price?
I'll make a trip to Vegas soon and I want to eat well (but not spend hundreds of bucks at the same time)

Yelp
Urbanspoon

Is this your first time using the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

lol

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Yelp
Urbanspoon

Slow down there, Sperglord. How about not being condescending to people asking questions in the "Ask Questions"-thread

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Why does Google Play update apps in a seemingly random order?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What order would you prefer?

It's probably time of submission of the update.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Cakefool posted:

What order would you prefer?

It's probably time of submission of the update.

That is my best guess for what its behavior is. I would prefer it to just go down the list as shown to me on the screen, but I don't care that much. It's just something I've wondered for a while.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

There is a 2x4 inch metal plate with screws on the underside of my desk that connects the two pieces. It has sharp metal edges and its been cutting my leg/pants because I shift my legs around a lot. It's steel or some other kind of metal so I don't think sandpaper will work. Any recommendations on something I can put on it?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Duct tape might work for a while.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Do you own a Dremel or any files?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DNova posted:

Duct tape might work for a while.

Cardboard over the sharp edge, then duct tape.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

b2n posted:

Slow down there, Sperglord. How about not being condescending to people asking questions in the "Ask Questions"-thread
Not really spergin, anytime you google a restaurant you'll see urbanspoon and yelp reviews. Welcome to the internet.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
yeah, the most popular stuff is aways the best stuff, welcome to life, lol

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
For stuff like reviews, yeah. I might be missing something here with all your lols and lack of punctuation though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

There is a 2x4 inch metal plate with screws on the underside of my desk that connects the two pieces. It has sharp metal edges and its been cutting my leg/pants because I shift my legs around a lot. It's steel or some other kind of metal so I don't think sandpaper will work. Any recommendations on something I can put on it?

You need silicon carbide grinding paper to file down the edges like you would with sandpaper. It will be slower than sanding wood, but SiC paper will get the job done.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If you have or can borrow a file, even a fairly coarse one, that's a much faster way to smooth some metal corners/edges.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You can also pound down the sharp part with a hammer just to flatten out the surface so it doesn't cut you.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Xenoborg posted:

If you can remove it temporarily without your entire desk collapsing, maybe coat it with some Plasti Dip.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Xenoborg posted:

Don't over think this. Couple layers of duct tape.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is this used at work? Cut yourself very badly on the metal piece and get some workers comp and damages for the dread caused every day you would sit down, unsupported by your callous MBA trust fund overlords. Take the case to the Supreme Court and set new legal precedents for OSHA for sedentary office workers.

You're basically the Erin Brockovich of cubicle wage slaves at this point, dude. Be the hero we need!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hammer it, sand it, file it, duct tape it, then plastidip the whole drat thing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What you really need, is an oxy/acetylene cutting torch. You'll want to get a fairly tight flame so I'd suggest shopping around for torch tips, don't just take whatever crap the manufacturer puts on there by default.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Just lower your chair an inch.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I put some duct tape on it, but thanks for the insane suggestions too.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Xenoborg posted:

stupid-small-questions.txt

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Xenoborg posted:

I think people must have assumed you aren't American because nobody suggested you shoot it.

In America you are well within your rights to shoot anything offends you. The Bible says so.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I apparently used an email address ending in "@a**.**********.***" that is connected to an account of mine; are there any common email domains that end this way, assuming the character count is accurate?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I apparently used an email address ending in "@a**.**********.***" that is connected to an account of mine; are there any common email domains that end this way, assuming the character count is accurate?

I had an email address in college that was something like name@eden.webster.edu. Hopefully it's a college email and thus kickstarts your brain, otherwise I have no idea.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Is there anything stopping free .PDF file programs or websites that merge or convert PDFs from looking at and stealing/selling sensitive information off what people upload? Does this ever happen with the more frequently used programs/sites that you would find on the first google result?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hammer it, sand it, file it, duct tape it, then plastidip the whole drat thing.

Or, or, he could duct tape and plastidip his own legs!! Universal protection! :boom:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Is there anything stopping free .PDF file programs or websites that merge or convert PDFs from looking at and stealing/selling sensitive information off what people upload? Does this ever happen with the more frequently used programs/sites that you would find on the first google result?

Nothing is stopping them. I've never heard any news of something like that happen, but that doesn't mean anything.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
If I renew an expired learners permit in NJ, do I have to wait a couple months again before I can take the road test? I really hope not :ohdear:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

GobiasIndustries posted:

aol.timewarner.com fits, not sure if that is a thing though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Not as useful for the converting, but as far as merging, adding/removing pages, adding headers/footers/page numbers, etc., PDFill is the best free program I've found.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

b2n posted:

Does anyone know a good website for restaurant reviews, that also includes average meal price?
I'll make a trip to Vegas soon and I want to eat well (but not spend hundreds of bucks at the same time)

For all your Vegas needs: http://www.cheapovegas.com/

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
How do I tell my angry stressed out manager I want to quit my stupid terrible job that I hate - without burning any bridges?

No seriously, what is the etiquette for bringing up resignation, working your notice and what do you owe them in terms of an explanation?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

VagueRant posted:

How do I tell my angry stressed out manager I want to quit my stupid terrible job that I hate - without burning any bridges?

No seriously, what is the etiquette for bringing up resignation, working your notice and what do you owe them in terms of an explanation?

Write a letter of resignation, which contains the message that you're resigning. You don't have to give any reason and can do as little as

Dear boss,

I am writing to give you my two week (replace with length of required notice laid out in employment contract) notice of resignation.

Signed

Your name

E: if you want to keep bridges open say you've enjoyed working there and give a reason for leaving, even if it's not the real reason.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 23, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

I did this a few years ago and just made a lot of noise about work-life balance and stuff. I also didn't have an other job lined up and I think that shocked them into not hating me.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I had an email address in college that was something like name@eden.webster.edu. Hopefully it's a college email and thus kickstarts your brain, otherwise I have no idea.

Nah, I tried my school email address and that isn't coming up with anything unfortunately, though that's a good suggestion. It's used for my twitter account and at least one other website that I'd signed up for (most likely, I sent a password reset email for that website and haven't gotten anything despite repeated attempts) so not a tremendous loss, but twitter's being a pain in the rear end about it even though my description has my name on it, my friends following it, and the location is the state I live in. I thought I'd enrolled in mobile verification but apparently not..

Birb Katter posted:

aol.timewarner.com fits, not sure if that is a thing though.

Unfortunately I've never had any sort of account with Time Warner, especially in the last few years. Thank you though!

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Not as useful for the converting, but as far as merging, adding/removing pages, adding headers/footers/page numbers, etc., PDFill is the best free program I've found.

Nice try, I'm not gonna let you look at my financial information!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Nice try, I'm not gonna let you look at my financial information!

I know you're joking, but just to be clear: that's a program you download, not one of those online converters.

I have to work with PDFs a lot at various offices and some of them are cheap and don't invest in Acrobat Pro, and the records I'm working with are frequently restricted by HIPAA, so I don't really trust the online converters, either.