Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
On one hand we have "bombings" that done minor damage to couple of empty libraries. On other we have bombings that killed 70 people. The fact that former considered worse or equivalent in Somethingawfuldotcom I/P thread, because Israel, is... business as usual I guess.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lady Morgaga posted:

On one hand we have "bombings" that done minor damage to couple of empty libraries. On other we have bombings that killed 70 people. The fact that former considered worse or equivalent in Somethingawfuldotcom I/P thread, because Israel, is... business as usual I guess.

Maybe terrorism is bad categorically? And committing crimes that you then intend to blame on innocent parties is wretched?

No one claimed equivalence, that is your own bizarre projection.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Jack of Hearts posted:

Maybe terrorism is bad categorically?
Maybe.

Jack of Hearts posted:

And committing crimes that you then intend to blame on innocent parties is wretched?
Maybe. Although some might say that what kind of crime you framing innocents for matters.

Jack of Hearts posted:

You are correct. No one claimed equivalence. To do that acknowledgement of the incident and admitting that the incident matters at all must come first.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

So maybe terrorism isn't bad categorically?

Are you an IRA supporter or something?

Lady Morgaga posted:

Maybe. Although some might say that what kind of crime you framing innocents for matters.

I'd say with confidence that framing people for blowing up (more realistically, burning down) buildings is pretty abhorrent! Arson is a major crime. If the scheme had worked, innocent people would have suffered severe penalties.

How is this a thing worth disputing?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Plek posted:

Hey, how about loving off with this poo poo? These words have no meaning, and it looks like you might be trying to minimize the impact of the statements you are attaching them to. Particularly when you later refer to the "actual" bombing of Egyptian Jews, which might be seen as an implication that bombings aren't real unless they impact Jewish folk.

It's kind of like the difference between saying "JFK was assassinated by a sniper" and "JFK experienced a bout of lead poisoning from a poorly though-out gift."

It seems to me that that's exactly what he's trying to do. So I think it might be good for you two to respond to each other with specific numbers and then there can be an argument over substance instead of over weasel words and accusations there of.

Lady Morgaga posted:

On one hand we have "bombings" that done minor damage to couple of empty libraries.

I don't see a reason for scare quotes around "bombings". There were, right? There were also additional ones planned, were there not?

quote:

On other we have bombings that killed 70 people. The fact that former considered worse or equivalent in Somethingawfuldotcom I/P thread, because Israel, is... business as usual I guess.

Well, I am hoping that business is not going to be as usual here now that I'm taking a closer look at this thread. If you want to expand on the specifics here and cite sources about them, I'm sure you can help push this discussion to a more substantive level than this:

Jack of Hearts posted:

Maybe terrorism is bad categorically?

Jack of Hearts posted:

And committing crimes that you then intend to blame on innocent parties is wretched?

Lady Morgaga posted:

Jack of Hearts posted:

Lady Morgaga posted:

You are correct. No one claimed equivalence. To do that acknowledgement of the incident and admitting that the incident matters at all must come first.

Start with what is the incident you are talking about, and maybe something informative can stem from discussing it in this context?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CommieGIR posted:

Israel's new Deputy Foreign Minister came out and basically said what they are actually thinking:

Anybody want to talk about this speech? Because hooooooly gently caress, sometimes it sounds like Netanyahu is the only thing standing between the Right Wing hardliners he's raised up and the power they need to enact their plans. Some attempt at partitioning/Annexing the West Bank seems inevitable at this point, with the next Prime Minister if this one won't risk it.

Netanyahu looks like he might remain in power for a while longer, but who's best positioned to take the mantle of right wing leadership after him?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dolash posted:

Anybody want to talk about this speech? Because hooooooly gently caress, sometimes it sounds like Netanyahu is the only thing standing between the Right Wing hardliners he's raised up and the power they need to enact their plans. Some attempt at partitioning/Annexing the West Bank seems inevitable at this point, with the next Prime Minister if this one won't risk it.

Netanyahu looks like he might remain in power for a while longer, but who's best positioned to take the mantle of right wing leadership after him?

On the questionable upside, accelerationists apparently have Israel as a testing ground.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It seems to me that that's exactly what he's trying to do. So I think it might be good for you two to respond to each other with specific numbers and then there can be an argument over substance instead of over weasel words and accusations there of.

Number of fatalities from the "Lavon affair": 0

Number of injured from the "Lavon affair": 1 (one conspirator had a bomb go off in his pocket)

Number of fatalities from the 1948 Cairo bombings: 70

Number of injured from the 1948 Cairo bombings: 200

Plek posted:

Hey, how about loving off with this poo poo? These words have no meaning, and it looks like you might be trying to minimize the impact of the statements you are attaching them to. Particularly when you later refer to the "actual" bombing of Egyptian Jews, which might be seen as an implication that bombings aren't real unless they impact Jewish folk.

Fine, fair enough. Let's take your proposition that it would be prejudicial to suggest the moral value of the victims and the guilt attached to the perpetrators aren't equal for both cases.

Please explain to us why we should view some minor property damage to a couple government buildings as the moral equivalent of the murder of 70 Egyptian Jews.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

Oh geez, not this again. I'll give you credit, it's slightly more uncommon than USS Liberty/Israeli art students/other shadowy Zionist conspiracy. But it's just as absurd. The fact that the second Google result for "Lavon affair" (after wikipedia) is a link to whatreallyhappened.com gives a pretty good sense of the sort of conspiracy theorists obsessed by it.
Can I point out that TIC is selectively quoting and misrepresenting a post from two months ago

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Every single post he makes drips with dishonesty and he does not deserve a response.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

Fine, fair enough. Let's take your proposition that it would be prejudicial to suggest the moral value of the victims and the guilt attached to the perpetrators aren't equal for both cases.

Please explain to us why we should view some minor property damage to a couple government buildings as the moral equivalent of the murder of 70 Egyptian Jews.

We shouldn't. My problem is that you are using language in such a way as to suggest the insignificance of the actions instead of actual information. If you had written in terms of actual damages, then I could understand your position, but as I do not know the specifics of what you were going on about, I could only infer that you were claiming that bombings impacting non-Jews were not important, but that bombings impacting Jews were. I may have come across harshly, and I apologize for that, but you really must include information with your statements and not rely on just adjectives to make your point, or else risk having people misinterpret your statements or intent.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Every single post he makes drips with dishonesty and he does not deserve a response.

You are not required to respond to him if you think it's not worth your time, but this kind of post is not very helpful, either.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dolash posted:

Yes, the sad irony of Israeli politics the past few years has been that Netanyahu has been the most moderate Likud figure for some time now.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lum_ posted:

Yes, the sad irony of Israeli politics the past few years has been that Netanyahu has been the most moderate Likud figure for some time now.

Nah, that's Reuven Rivlin.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 23, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DarkCrawler posted:

Nah, that's Reuven Rivlin.

That's why he ended up as President, far away from any real power. :ssh:

But he's a really amazing President after a string of bad to terrible ones.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Insect Court posted:

Number of fatalities from the "Lavon affair": 0

Number of injured from the "Lavon affair": 1 (one conspirator had a bomb go off in his pocket)

Number of fatalities from the 1948 Cairo bombings: 70

Number of injured from the 1948 Cairo bombings: 200

So where was this reasoning that body count is proportional to moral culpability during Protective Edge and Cast Lead?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

The Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty Review Conference has failed to accomplish anything and actually rolled back come obligations according to reaching critical will although Haaretz is reporting that Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty Review Conference (which is just closing up) will finish by trying to organise a conference for next year to make the Middle East nuke free.

quote:

When the conference opened a month ago, Egypt submitted a proposal that would mandate holding the Mideast conference with or without Israeli agreement. Moreover, the Egyptian proposal would make Israel’s nuclear program the conference’s focus.

Israel, the United States and other countries objected strenuously to the Egyptian proposal. The Israeli position holds that such a conference should deal with all regional security problems, including missiles and terrorism, rather than the nuclear issue alone. Israel also demanded that any such conference be conditioned on all participating countries agreeing on the agenda.

Earlier this week, Spain, after consulting with Egypt, presented a compromise proposal that essentially rejected this Israeli condition, stating that if no consensus is reached on the agenda before December 2015, the UN secretary general will be empowered to decide whether to convene the conference, and on what terms.

Over the last few days, Jerusalem and Washington have held intensive talks in an effort to reach understandings on the issue. A senior Israeli official involved in the talks said that Thomas Countryman, the U.S. assistant secretary of state for international security and nonproliferation, has been in Israel since Tuesday, talking with officials from the Foreign Ministry, the National Security Council and the Israel Atomic Energy Commission.

The senior Israeli official said Israel feared a “rerun” of what happened at the last NPT Review Conference in 2010, when Egypt succeeded in forcing the U.S. to include a section in the concluding statement that addressed Israel’s nuclear capabilities and urged it to open all of its nuclear facilities to UN inspections. The 2010 statement also called for convening a conference on making the Middle East an area free of weapons of mass destruction within two years.

“Both the United States and Israel support the creation of a WMD-free zone in the Middle East,” said Meehan. “We are working closely with our Israeli partners to advance our mutual interests, including preserving the NPT.“

I don't know what's more ridiculous, the NPTRC expectation that they can get the Middle East nuke free or Israel and the USA's statements that they are seriously trying to accomplish such a goal.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Holy poo poo this new Israeli cabinet: http://www.alternet.org/world/prime-sinister-new-faces-netanyahus-new-israeli-government

Literal anti-miscegenation activists, these people are so far loving gone lol

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

tekz posted:

Holy poo poo this new Israeli cabinet: http://www.alternet.org/world/prime-sinister-new-faces-netanyahus-new-israeli-government

Literal anti-miscegenation activists, these people are so far loving gone lol

quote:

In his previous capacity as Deputy Religious Affairs Minister, Ben Dahan said that “a Jew always has a much higher soul than a goy,” and that Palestinians “are beasts, not humans.”

jesus gently caress

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ayelet Shaked, Israeli justice minister posted:

Enough with the oblique references… words have meanings… the entire Palestinian people is the enemy… they are all enemy combatants, and their blood shall be on all their heads. Now this also includes the mothers… otherwise, more little snakes will be raised…

This rhetoric sure sounds...familiar...
:godwinning:

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

These people are loathesome cunts to be sure but jesus christ I am tired of all the comparisons to the third reich.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Ultramega posted:

These people are loathesome cunts to be sure but jesus christ I am tired of all the comparisons to the third reich.

People can get back to me when Israel actually starts putting people on trains with these loving comparisons.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ultramega posted:

If you say we must kill all of this ethnic group, than yes you do invite :godwinning: comparisons.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Does the comparison accomplish anything? What policy intervention is indicated by the Nazi comparison that is not otherwise indicated?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Genocide

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Juffo-Wup posted:

What policy intervention is indicated by the Nazi comparison that is not otherwise indicated?

You don't negotiate or compromise with Nazis, you wipe them out. You don't try to understand their concerns, you crush them completely. And naturally, anyone who dares defend the Nazis is scum unworthy of a response.

I think that's the goal of the constant Godwinning. There are serious scholars who assert that Nazi/Hitler comparisons are de facto a form of anti-semitism, although I wouldn't go quite that far. Most people online who rant about the evil Nazi Israelis aren't engaging in a real attempt at analysis, they're just blowing off steam against the hated Zionists, just as not every :freep: ranting about the "thugs" and the coming revolution are actually white supremacist domestic terrorists, even if their rhetoric reflects the influence of extreme ideologies.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Disinterested posted:

People can get back to me when Israel actually starts putting people on trains with these loving comparisons.

Genocide escalates over time. The Nazis did not sit around in 1932 designing gas chambers. Israel's genocidal behavior has continuously escalated over the past 15 years or so and unless something drastic happens they will eventually go "all the way", just like many other genocidal regimes including the United States before them.

The Insect Court posted:

right-wing>>>
strawmen>>>
found here>>>

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 24, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Genocide escalates over time. The Nazis did not sit around in 1932 designing gas chambers. Israel's genocidal behavior has continuously escalated over the past 15 years or so and unless something drastic happens they will eventually go "all the way", just like many other genocidal regimes including the United States before them.

Well until then why don't we hold off on inane Nazi metaphors.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I can't see any downside in waiting until people are being systematically killed.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Well until then why don't we hold off on the played, insane Nazi metaphors.

Because the entire goddamn point of repeatedly teaching people about the rise of Nazi Germany is to stop any similar groups from starting before "they start putting people on trains"?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I can't see any downside in waiting until people are being systematically killed.

Perhaps the only weapon in the arsenal of people who want to prevent genocide isn't hamfisted historical equivalence? Nazi comparisons are not helpful to discussions like these and even less helpful in the academy and in the media at large because they unnecessarily cloud, clutter, and render controversial arguments that should aim to be objective and clear.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Considering that the Holocaust is used constantly by the Israeli right as fuel for their Islamophobic and xenophobic paranoia, I think pointing out that they're well on their way to recreating the thing they are supposedly trying to prevent is entirely valid.

Waiting until they're actually killing people is far, far too late to start doing something about an oncoming genocide.

uninterrupted posted:

Because the entire goddamn point of repeatedly teaching people about the rise of Nazi Germany is to stop any similar groups from starting before "they start putting people on trains"?
How many people in 1945 would believe that, 70 years later, Germany would have learned the right lessons from the Holocaust and the nascent Jewish state would have learned entirely the wrong ones? One of the great ironies of history.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Perhaps the only weapon in the arsenal of people who want to prevent genocide isn't hamfisted historical equivalence? Nazi comparisons are not helpful to discussions like these and even less helpful in the academy and in the media at large because they unnecessarily cloud, clutter, and render controversial arguments that should aim to be objective and clear.

The supremacist rhetoric coming from the highest ranks of the Israeli government closely mirrors that of Nazi Germany. Be upset at the people who espouse this rhetoric, not the people that point it out.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

uninterrupted posted:

The supremacist rhetoric coming from the highest ranks of the Israeli government closely mirrors that of Nazi Germany. Be upset at the people who espouse this rhetoric, not the people that point it out.

I can be upset at lovely rhetoric and also point out that the other side of the argument is very bad at putting its best foot forward.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Woolie Wool posted:

Waiting until they're actually killing people is far, far too late to start doing something about an oncoming genocide.

But what is that something? And can it be defended as good foreign policy on its own merits, independently of the strength of whatever historical analogy?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Boycott, divestment, and sanctions are a good start--they did a lot of good in crippling the apartheid regime in South Africa. All foreign military aid by the West to Israel should be cut off and heavy tariffs or even outright embargoes placed on Israeli goods. Western entertainers and sports teams should not perform in Israel.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Woolie Wool posted:

Boycott, divestment, and sanctions are a good start--they did a lot of good in crippling the apartheid regime in South Africa. All foreign military aid by the West to Israel should be cut off and heavy tariffs or even outright embargoes placed on Israeli goods.

Hey, it turns out we're in agreement. That all sounds like a good idea, and that conclusion doesn't apparently rest on the Israeli regime being a gang of Nazis.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Juffo-Wup posted:

Does the comparison accomplish anything? What policy intervention is indicated by the Nazi comparison that is not otherwise indicated?

Extreme Irony.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
These specific people claiming that an entire ethnic group is categorically inferior and malevolent and should be completely exterminated? They merit Nazi comparisons. The rhetoric isn't too dissimilar. Extrapolating that to calling an entire nation Nazis because of the words of a few members is somewhat Godwinny, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

These specific people claiming that an entire ethnic group is categorically inferior and malevolent and should be completely exterminated? They merit Nazi comparisons. The rhetoric isn't too dissimilar. Extrapolating that to calling an entire nation Nazis because of the words of a few members is somewhat Godwinny, though.

I think that's an appropriate view on balance. My point aside from the aptness of the Nazi thing though is that it is simply never worth invoking the Nazi's in a discussion of Israel for any reason because, regardless of the content of your argument, you are then having a discussion about the appropriateness of that comparison instead of about the situation in Israel. Particularly since historic definitions of anti-Semitism have explicitly included comparisons of Israel with Nazi Germany.

It is simply a dumb thing to do if you are interested in furthering the discourse on the subject in a broader context because it's a great way to give your opponent free ammunition and turn the whole argument in to white noise.

I have watched this happen on panel debates and in the press on this subject a lot.

• Locked thread