Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That was... certainly a special artstyle.

Zeruel posted:

Very mixed reception, I like it. Guess I'll have to watch it. Maybe they're saving all the good poo poo for:

As a non-American, what the hell does "6/5c" even mean here? It's not the date and it certainly doesn't look like a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

KennyMan666 posted:

As a non-American, what the hell does "6/5c" even mean here? It's not the date and it certainly doesn't look like a time.
It refers to American time zones. Most television stations announce time slots according to the Eastern time (New York, New England, Florida, etc), followed by a second time that's one hour behind (though still airing simultaneously) to represent Central time (Texas, much of the south, the midwest).

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Beefstew posted:

It refers to American time zones. Most television stations announce time slots according to the Eastern time (New York, New England, Florida, etc), followed by a second time that's one hour behind (though still airing simultaneously) to represent Central time (Texas, much of the south, the midwest).
Oh yeah, that makes sense. I keep forgetting America takes up so much space it needs more than one time zone.

Five days of Adventure Time in a row and the next season starting with a mini-series definitely makes me tingle with excitement a bit. Also hoping the ghosts from Marceline's past are literally ghosts from Marceline's past.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Four time zones is fun. Things air at the same time in the eastern, mountain, and western time zones, but since so much population is around the eastern/central border (and since the eastern time zone gets times first), they air things an hour earlier in central to coincide in that one case. Four time zones is fun.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mountain time doesn't get it's own feed now, does it? I figured it was just lumped in with central for TV purposes, back in the 80s I remember networks saying "central and mountain" for the hour-behind time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is the first adventure time in 5+ years that I just stopped watching halfway through. The animation and art were so stylistically removed from what I like about the show that I just didn't care at all about any of it.

Watched Food Chain twice in a row, felt great about it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
And whether you get it at 6PM ET or 6 PM in your time zone can be dependent on your service provider. My sister in MT gets her shows three hours earlier than I do in PT. Like Adventure Time used to premiere at 7:30 PM here, my sister had seen it at 4:30 PM and to my ET friends, I didn't get to see it until almost midnight their time.

Indeed, time zones are fun.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
lol, Goons complain when the show is too much for adults and then turn around and complain when its too much for children. You people are impossible to please.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Well it's not like it's the same people in both groups. We're not a hivemind dipshit.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't care that it was for children. It was just sort of ugly and like a really weak version of a season 1 episode (which are good).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it sucked. I think for the style it was going for it was very good. Just that style doesn't personally interest me in any way. It's very gentle humour from a show I like for its manic nature.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Bown posted:

I don't think it sucked. I think for the style it was going for it was very good. Just that style doesn't personally interest me in any way. It's very gentle humour from a show I like for its manic nature.

Yeah, it was kind of like watching a NickJr version of AT. Not terrible, but not much that an adult can sink their teeth into.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I liked the fact that the whistle lifeguards had a Liverpool accent

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

manero posted:

I liked the fact that the whistle lifeguards had a Liverpool accent

It was very obviously a Scottish accent. The artist is a Glaswegian and he voiced lifeguards, I believe.

E: and the proper term for Liverpudlian accents is Scouse.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 23, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

Mountain time doesn't get it's own feed now, does it? I figured it was just lumped in with central for TV purposes, back in the 80s I remember networks saying "central and mountain" for the hour-behind time.

I remember a commercial for Clarissa Explains It All where she was explained that Mountain could be either Central or Western, so people there should check their local listings.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

It really varies quite a bit, I remember a lot of material being Pacific +1 which was annoying if you wanted to see something that's normally at 8.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm glad I have always lived on the East coast. It has made TV viewing incredibly convenient.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I didn't enjoy it, but I'm glad the show creators are still experimenting with different art styles and storytelling methods. More power to them.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

AshB posted:

I didn't enjoy it, but I'm glad the show creators are still experimenting with different art styles and storytelling methods. More power to them.

That was how I felt overall. I did laugh at some of the gags but it won't be one I rewatch.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JMoyns episodes are always interesting.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I look forward to someday meeting Lifeguard Whistle Princess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Public service announcement: If you love analyzing subtext and interpreting symbolism, go watch Mad Max: Fury Road. It's one of the densest works of symbolism I've ever seen.

edit: VVVV you can do that too!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 26, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Public service announcement: If you love analyzing subtext and interpreting symbolism, go watch Mad Max: Fury Road. It's one of the densest works of symbolism I've ever seen.

Can I just watch it for flamethrowing guitars and fast cars for a change?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
No, either that, or you scowl at feminism.

No middle ground!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Paladinus posted:

Can I just watch it for flamethrowing guitars and fast cars for a change?

You can do both. It's both a dense as gently caress theme movie and a good surface-only action flick.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Finally watched the weird Glasgow episode, and while it was probably Adventure Time's absolute nadir I look forward to the Season 6 finale week

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Salvador Dali is doing promo art now?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Steve Yun posted:

Public service announcement: If you love analyzing subtext and interpreting symbolism, go away forever.

fixed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The <insert random Chuck Lorre show here> thread is that-a-way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Some of us just like to watch weird and creative cartoons without worrying about how much rape subtext we should be noticing. :shrug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Some of us just like to watch weird and creative cartoons without worrying about how much rape subtext we should be noticing. :shrug:

You don't have to notice it but you shouldn't get bent out of shape if other people do and try to discuss it ITT. Is that an acceptable compromise? Cause like I have never seen anyone in this thread attack someone for just enjoying the show on the surface level, I have seen a ton of animosity toward the people analyzing tho.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Guy A. Person posted:

You don't have to notice it but you shouldn't get bent out of shape if other people do and try to discuss it ITT. Is that an acceptable compromise? Cause like I have never seen anyone in this thread attack someone for just enjoying the show on the surface level, I have seen a ton of animosity toward the people analyzing tho.

If you talk about finn's dick or candy people rape I will label you as a weirdo, yes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Deal

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah this is the entire problem. Fair enough if people don't want to discuss that stuff but people would rather pretend it doesn't even exist and get annoyed that people are "reading too much into it". And that's just really stupid.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
The style was dumb, but the dialogue that sounded like it had been translated very directly over from another language with different humor sensibilities was the way worse aspect.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I thought it was the best episode in a while, but focusing on Finn, PB, and Jake helped. I'm also a sucker for gimmicky animation changes.

It reminded me more of South Park than a picture book.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I highly recommend that people watch an episode before reading anything about it in this thread. It has a way of really skewing your perception of an episode. It's better to just watch each episode twice, before and after thread, to get a full perspective of an episode. This only applies to the denser episodes, of course.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Balls that has never happened before

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Well, those things happened...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was absolutely insane and great. I fuckin love Jmoyns.

• Locked thread