Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Hah. I thought they meant the Mamelukes - enslaved royal bodyguards in medieval Egypt who, like so many other royal bodyguards throughout history, decided to get rid of the king and take over for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a lot that doesn't make sense in comics regardless of how much you accept suspension of disbelief and you kinda just...have to accept it at some point. DC is like the most liberal universe ever since you can apparently kill thousands of people over the course of years over multiple breakouts and just end right back up in a mental institution instead of being executed.

Like even accepting that, it's pretty hard to imagine how the Joker doesn't arrive at the station to be booked with two bullets in his head.

"Awwww, man. I dunno how it happened, but it looks like the Joker shot himself on the way to the P.D. twice. In the head. While restrained. Maybe Batman can solve the mystery??"

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 23, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I actually liked the carnival and the two bit thug that thought he was important getting offed undignified in a cutscene. Then again I love entry of the gladiators(even in a dumb cheesy fairground organ version) and think batman was at his peak when he was using bat shark repellent to beat the joker at surf contests.

Seriously though, the electrocutioner was probably my favorite bit about the game. It makes me sad that everyone's so down on the guy even on the internet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Don't get me wrong: Electrocutioner getting knocked out in one hit was hilarious.

I just wish that he actually got to do something. I'd settle for him being a recurring ineffectual villain setting traps around the Hotel before getting offed by Joker or Bane.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Origins: Blackgate).

He was actually not the main villain here. He was more or less tied with Penguin and Black Mask there.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
In keeping up with the LP, here are a few thoughts I've had catching up to the current video:

1) The Shock Gloves are a lot of fun for me, but they do disrupt the flow of the comboes even MORE. If you're even thinking of going for ground takedowns on guys who aren't the last, don't. They also make the quickfire gadgets nearly useless (more than they were before), but that doesn't bother me much.

2) What is the obsession with making The Joker this wild philosopher? He switches between just making silly puns to screw with Batman and these deep complex Riddler-esque questions. Is it all to psych Batman out or am I supposed to find emotional depth in Joker? Because I refuse.

3) Seriously though, combat is stupidly clunky in this game. I hope Arkham Knight has fixed this. The upgrade system, as has been said before, is still stupid. So are the Dark Knight Challenges. You wouldn't believe what I can and cannot do. And it's hard for me to force myself since I already have a 100% save. So it's mostly "Well Sonic, we could spend the next hour trying to reset this predator room to accomplish the max amount of challenges in a row, but why would we? Once is enough."

4) How long has Joker been planning this that he's managed to set up an entire death carnival inside the hotel? And yet nobody knew this was happening by him and not Black Mask until Christmas? Speaking of, I don't know if I mentioned it before, but a big gently caress you to the Black Mask side mission. That's the point where I just gave this game a dismissive wanking motion for the rest of the ride. The other missions you could say were stretches to compare, but this is literally the Bane mission from City lifted wholesale into Origins. That's lazy as poo poo, WB Montreal. Ridiculously so.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kloro posted:

Hah. I thought they meant the Mamelukes - enslaved royal bodyguards in medieval Egypt who, like so many other royal bodyguards throughout history, decided to get rid of the king and take over for themselves.

This is in fact the origin of the Italian insult, either meant as a cross-the-Mediterranean slur or as a political jab to call others slaves.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Fabricated posted:

There's a lot that doesn't make sense in comics regardless of how much you accept suspension of disbelief and you kinda just...have to accept it at some point. DC is like the most liberal universe ever since you can apparently kill thousands of people over the course of years over multiple breakouts and just end right back up in a mental institution instead of being executed.

Like even accepting that, it's pretty hard to imagine how the Joker doesn't arrive at the station to be booked with two bullets in his head.

"Awwww, man. I dunno how it happened, but it looks like the Joker shot himself on the way to the P.D. twice. In the head. While restrained. Maybe Batman can solve the mystery??"

I swear there was an issue that had Joker put on death row for something he didn't do and Bats proved he was being falsely accused.

Way to go Batman, save the life of the homicidal, clown maniac.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

Discendo Vox posted:

Video 17 Notes

The Greatest Sin
Remember how, in AA and AC, interior spaces were nonlinear, with hub regions and loopbacks? Remember how changes over the course of AC gave you multiple ways to go enter a building, and things changed inside if you returned to them- new enemies, new events, small easter eggs? Those weren't just nice immersive set dressing- there was also a very important design purpose for all that. These games have a collection mechanic, and the player winds up revisiting buildings multiple times, combing through them for riddler trophies. These extra entrances, nonlinear routes and added enemies keep the process of collection interesting. Spoiler Alert- when, at the end of, I assume, the next video, we finish the Gotham Royal, we'll leave via a cutscene, and no new way in will be created. When the collectathon video happens, we will have to start at the lobby and go through every inch of this linear, gaudy, terrible space again looking for datapacks we couldn't get the first time- and there will be no enemies, no events, in some cases no sound. And when we reach the end? We'll have to walk all the way back out. This happens for all but one interior space in the game, and it is inexcusable and infuriating.

My complaint exactly. The worst of it is that there's no good reason for that - any of the times you venture outside between the towers could have easily been an exit to the overworld, conceptually. And to get back up, Joker's explosive traps could progressively wreck the facade of the towers, offering outside grapple points to get back to however high you already were. I mean, I know it was probably unfeasible given level size constraints particularly for the 360/PS3 versions, but seriously, this is where MY IMMERSION (:smithicide:) wandered into the wrong dark alley.

I really hope Arkham Knight sticks to its promise of seamless interiors so this kind of poo poo doesn't happen again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also love how Deadshot and Shiva still attend the meeting, even though you can complete their sidequests before this point.

They don't attend though do they? You can see them on TV screens, but I mean, that doesn't mean they're participating, or even that they're teleconferencing in.

Fabricated posted:

DC is like the most liberal universe ever

A world with no capital punishment. THANKS FICTIONAL OBAMA.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

TwoPair posted:

A world with no capital punishment. THANKS FICTIONAL OBAMA.

:colbert: I voted for Quincy Sharp!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fabricated posted:

Or you'd figure one of the other homicidal maniacs in Batman's universe would off the guy, for fun or for the huge reward Gotham's citizens would probably put together. I'm seriously confused why someone like Bane, Deathstroke, or Freeze hasn't killed the guy even if the infamously corrupt police don't.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, you'd seriously think one of the thousands of people Joker has killed over the years would have been important to some police officer or Arkham staff member who'd be willing and able to take revenge.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
This is bizarro America where the cops respect cop killers.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It usually doesn't bother me, but it definitely bothered me most in the beginning of Asylum. I just thought, what if one of these SWAT guys does it? Batman will knock them out and they'll go to Blackgate sure, but isn't it worth it? Isn't it worth the possible prison shanking? No jury would convict you anyway and then you just hop the first train to Metropolis or literally anywhere else. They even had Joker do a jump scare. Armed guards with guns pointed at him and none of them had an itchy trigger finger?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SonicRulez posted:

It usually doesn't bother me, but it definitely bothered me most in the beginning of Asylum. I just thought, what if one of these SWAT guys does it? Batman will knock them out and they'll go to Blackgate sure, but isn't it worth it? Isn't it worth the possible prison shanking? No jury would convict you anyway and then you just hop the first train to Metropolis or literally anywhere else. They even had Joker do a jump scare. Armed guards with guns pointed at him and none of them had an itchy trigger finger?

Would a cop who kills the Joker even get sent to Blackgate? There isn't a jury in the world that would condemn the man who killed the Joker. Hell, they'd probably give the man paid time off while they do a perfunctory investigation, then give him a promotion.

What I'm getting at is that Batman and his world just don't make sense and this game is more overt about it than usual.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think every time Joker gets killed it is made out to be a super sad thing or the guy who kills him turns into mega hitler.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Would a cop who kills the Joker even get sent to Blackgate? There isn't a jury in the world that would condemn the man who killed the Joker. Hell, they'd probably give the man paid time off while they do a perfunctory investigation, then give him a promotion.

Not to mention that every witness would suffer from simultaneous mass amnesia. Every gun held by anyone in a 5 mile radius would suddenly be damaged or disappear and be unavailable to do ballistics analysis. And even though its no longer necessary to have a corpse to convict for murder anymore, the body would be immediately cremated, and shot into space to make drat sure he's dead, but be done in secret so the argument could be made that he may not be dead, but escaped again. And the prosecutor, if he was actively attempting to do this, would end his closing arguments by eating a gun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Of course, if you kill Joker, then Harley would probably murder you in a very disturbing way.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah but does Harley know how to make Joker gas?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Iretep posted:

I think every time Joker gets killed it is made out to be a super sad thing or the guy who kills him turns into mega hitler.

See: The entire plot of Injustice: Gods Among Us. "Hey, Joker managed to nuke Metropolis so Supes finally hauled off and ripped his guts out. NOW HE HAS A TASTE FOR BLOOD AND MANFLESH!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

See: The entire plot of Injustice: Gods Among Us. "Hey, Joker managed to nuke Metropolis so Supes finally hauled off and ripped his guts out. NOW HE HAS A TASTE FOR BLOOD AND MANFLESH!"

Maybe it's because I'm American, but I really, really don't get Batman's refusal to kill when it comes to people like the Joker. Refusing to kill mooks, sure, and people who are just victims of another villain (this is Harley, in my opinion), okay, but Batman always says that if he kills that will make him no different from the Joker et al which feels like a hell of a false equivalency and implies that Batman already is just like them he simply hasn't acted on it yet.

But then again, I'm probably overthinking comic books and the need to have recurring villains.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

and implies that Batman already is just like them he simply hasn't acted on it yet.

Definitely makes sense with the end of the Killing Joke, if Batman can laugh (and maybe kill Joker too?) after all that poo poo, yeah, he's just a stuffed shirt Joker too good to murder everyone.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If a cop tries to kill the Joker, he will inevitable decide to do something stupid like first beating the Joker up and get up close. Then the Joker will take his gun or strangle him with his handcuffs (and obviously he's not cuffed behind his back) and we have a new Batman adventure.

Cythereal posted:

Maybe it's because I'm American, but I really, really don't get Batman's refusal to kill when it comes to people like the Joker. Refusing to kill mooks, sure, and people who are just victims of another villain (this is Harley, in my opinion), okay, but Batman always says that if he kills that will make him no different from the Joker et al which feels like a hell of a false equivalency and implies that Batman already is just like them he simply hasn't acted on it yet.

But then again, I'm probably overthinking comic books and the need to have recurring villains.
The reluctance is of course a product of the need to maintain status quo. As for the "if I kill him, I'm no different than him" argument, I can not recall even seeing a character use it when said argument would actually be true. Unless every other relevant aspect of the two people involved are the same, it's a complete bullshit argument that assumes you should judge a human on a binary has/hasn't killed another person scale.

I don't think the Joker was such a problem in Arkham Asylum though. Sure, he got lose because the security staff violated security protocol like 56,395 times when transporting him, but the story was basically "lunatics are running the asylum now, stop them" and the Joker is crazy in the most problematic way. It's also easier to imagine the Joker convincing insane criminals to join him than those who are sane. I feel that he was a good choice there, but the game developers need to start thinking about whether or not he really fits in other settings.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, my example was meant to be about how silly that feels. No matter how liberal the society, there are some people they just put an end to. I remember at the Occupation museum in Norway, they have an exhibit on how Vudkin Quisling sold out the country to the Nazis. After the war, they voted to reinstate the death penalty for exactly as long as it took to execute him, than made it illegal again.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
I think the core problem with the Joker is that he's basically an open invitation to a) take things as far over the top as the content rating will let you get away with, b) have him do tiresome fourth-wall-breaking stunts and pulling knowledge and preparation out of his rear end because LOL CRAZY MASTERMIND and c) ignore any attempt at consistent characterization because the Joker's so crazy he can be plausibly said to have any goal/internal motivation/hangup/relationship with other characters. It all adds up to something that is not a character but plot spackle that can tie together any number of escalating horrible things for Batman to overcome.

There's nothing in particular that the Joker does that other villains haven't done, but he does all of it at the same time, and the more often he's used (because why figure out an actually credible villain scheme when you can just throw the Joker at any half-baked idea) the more tiresome he gets. I think, to a certain degree, that the Joker actually has many of the problems Wonder Woman has - it just feels like there's nothing concrete about him that really sticks, so there's little sense of actual character behind him. All the same he keeps appearing because he's so "iconic", but because he passes through so many hands there never seems to be a chance to build anything lasting that really tells us who he is and what his deal with, other than messing with Batman. There's nowhere to develop or escalate anymore.

So, for God's sake, please let him rest, comic book writers.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

FeyerbrandX posted:

Not to mention that every witness would suffer from simultaneous mass amnesia. Every gun held by anyone in a 5 mile radius would suddenly be damaged or disappear and be unavailable to do ballistics analysis. And even though its no longer necessary to have a corpse to convict for murder anymore, the body would be immediately cremated, and shot into space to make drat sure he's dead, but be done in secret so the argument could be made that he may not be dead, but escaped again. And the prosecutor, if he was actively attempting to do this, would end his closing arguments by eating a gun.
Fun fact: Anyone who killed the Joker, even in a premeditated way, could plead self defense on behalf of another. Kinda like how you can use lethal force to stop someone else from being raped or murdered, if there is no alternative, you could use the same logic that the Joker has, overwhelmingly, established a pattern of senseless violence and mayhem and killing him was in the spirit of preventing him from hurting everyone else. Convince a jury and the judge to see it your way, and then you don't have to serve jail time for doing an incredibly sensible and humane thing.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Fun fact: Anyone who killed the Joker, even in a premeditated way, could plead self defense on behalf of another. Kinda like how you can use lethal force to stop someone else from being raped or murdered, if there is no alternative, you could use the same logic that the Joker has, overwhelmingly, established a pattern of senseless violence and mayhem and killing him was in the spirit of preventing him from hurting everyone else. Convince a jury and the judge to see it your way, and then you don't have to serve jail time for doing an incredibly sensible and humane thing.
Self defense doesn't work that way. Sure, you'd get away with killing the Joker, but if it's premeditated, it's a crime as far as the actual rules are concerned.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crystalgate posted:

Self defense doesn't work that way. Sure, you'd get away with killing the Joker, but if it's premeditated, it's a crime as far as the actual rules are concerned.

Counterpoint: it's the loving Joker. I like to think "Not guilty by reason of the victim being the Joker" is an acceptable legal defense in Gotham, especially given how corrupt the police and judicial system are usually established to be in Gotham.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

FeyerbrandX posted:

Guess there's now a batman or referential equivalent superhero story where they try to solve the case of the dead missing super villain and is repetitively stonewalled by a society that is glad or even celebrating their possible murder (like Hollywood immediately making their version of Zero Dark Thirty the day after its assumed the villain's killed), which ends in a horribly ham-handed connection to Ferguson in the same "where does killing bad guys for the common good end" tirade.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, you'd seriously think one of the thousands of people Joker has killed over the years would have been important to some police officer or Arkham staff member who'd be willing and able to take revenge.

Plot armor... the dude was thrown into a loving vat of acid and chemicals and all that did was turn his skin white, what's a double tap gonna do? Put him in a coma for 24 hours before he comes back crazier than ever with a couple of bullets stuck in his head.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Counterpoint: it's the loving Joker.
That means you can get away with it, not that it's legal.

I'm telling this because while the Joker is fictional, but people's attitude towards self defense is not. If not you, then there are others who truly think the law gives a crap about who you kill. Having a sympathetic jury is not something you can count on, most deranged people do not have a notable reputation that will drive the jurors into a hatred, never mind that they may see one murderer who killed another instead of a person who defended himself.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dariusknight posted:

Plot armor... the dude was thrown into a loving vat of acid and chemicals and all that did was turn his skin white, what's a double tap gonna do? Put him in a coma for 24 hours before he comes back crazier than ever with a couple of bullets stuck in his head.

nooooooooo really?

you don't say

:ssh: I was pointing out that very contrivance is so overused that it breaks suspension of disbelief into a million little pieces.:ssh:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Crystalgate posted:

That means you can get away with it, not that it's legal.

I'm telling this because while the Joker is fictional, but people's attitude towards self defense is not. If not you, then there are others who truly think the law gives a crap about who you kill. Having a sympathetic jury is not something you can count on, most deranged people do not have a notable reputation that will drive the jurors into a hatred, never mind that they may see one murderer who killed another instead of a person who defended himself.

Ignoring that it is a bit silly to try to apply real world law to comic books, we've had juries in this country buy the self-defense plea on waaaay flimsier grounds than killing a guy who is responsible for more deaths than Osama bin Laden, and who could be pretty reliably be counted on to be plotting or committing a murder at any given time.

Anyone know if Gotham is in a stand your ground state? :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"The only people who stay dead in comics are Bruce Wayne's parents."

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

"The only people who stay dead in comics are Bruce Wayne's parents."

Well. Sort of.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think Red Arrow's daughter is still dead.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Let's not get into the multiverse here... mmkay?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

paragon1 posted:

I think Red Arrow's daughter is still dead.

WELL. No actually yeah Lian Harper is dead. Don't know if she's showed up in Prime Earth. Still a bit of a sticking point between Red Arrow and Cheshire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

And Uncle Ben. Uncle Ben is a fixed point in Marvel universes, if he lives then everything else flies off the rails and the universe ends

• Locked thread