Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Alec Eiffel posted:

Soulside Journey is the best Darkthrone album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

As much as you guys poo poo on Metallica, a lot of people (including my self) wouldn't be into metal if it wasn't for songs like Battery, Enter Sandman, or One. Sure they aren't the best songs for a metal head of refined taste, but for angry 13 year old Durendal, AJFA was the loving poo poo.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

In a year when Anthrax, Testament and Slayer released their most flaccid, most easily palatable albums to date Metallica veering their sound toward a more tech-thrash direction must have seemed like a pretty ballsy move. I like AJFA.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
AJFA was the first metal album I bought for myself (on loving TAPE, no less) so it will always have a special place in my heart. I still think it's legit good but cannot really separate that from personal nostalgia.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
AJFA is in my Top 5 albums of all time. I was 9 when that album came out and I still remember watching / listening to One for the very first time: I was blown away. It still holds up very well up to this day and in my opinion it's the best album Metallica has ever recorded.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Groke posted:

AJFA was the first metal album I bought for myself (on loving TAPE, no less) so it will always have a special place in my heart. I still think it's legit good but cannot really separate that from personal nostalgia.
Exactly the same here. Bought it (albeit on CD) when I was 12. "Blackened", "Dyers Eve", and "Eye of the Beholder" will always be nostalgic to me.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'm guessing 90% of huge Metallica fans grew up listening to them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And 90% of the Metallica haters are snot nosed kids who only know Metallica from their Napster lawsuit and figure that's all there is to know. :v:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes, they only know the most popular heavy music act in history through a lawsuit from when they were children.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Neck of the Woods just released their debut EP, after only having a demo before. Really interesting progressive death. I'm liking it a lot so far.

https://neckofthewoods.bandcamp.com/album/neck-of-the-woods

I'm going to the release party on the 30th. :dance:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

xzzy posted:

And 90% of the Metallica haters are snot nosed kids who only know Metallica from their Napster lawsuit and figure that's all there is to know. :v:

:bravo:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Spotted my first dickhead in corpsepaint for the day at Edison Lot lmao

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Friday Fun Fact: load up any song from Cold Lake into Audacity, set the change pitch effect down 5 semitones and it sounds like a track from Swansong.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

xzzy posted:

Nah I just think Metallica are boring. So is most thrash that isn't tech thrash or death/thrash.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Gamma Nerd posted:

Nah I just think Metallica are boring. So is most thrash that isn't tech thrash or death/thrash.

lol everybody look at this bad post.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think we can all agree that Dave Mustaine is a horrible person.

That is a thrash opinion we can all share.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Turk February posted:

lol everybody look at this bad post.

I have many bad opinions and am not afraid to share them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Alec Eiffel posted:

I think we can all agree that Dave Mustaine is a horrible person.

That is a thrash opinion we can all share.

Dave is literally the only person who contributed more to society while he was on drugs rather than off.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Dave is literally the only person who contributed more to society while he was on drugs rather than off.

There are hundreds of musicians who this applies to

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
AJFA has the best (both in terms of top and in terms of consistency) solos of Kirk's career, that's my AJFA opinion

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

AgentJotun posted:

Most underrated track is Total Eclipse. People call it filler but it actually rocks as much as the rest of Number Of The Beast.

It's much better than Gangland

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are hundreds of musicians who this applies to

Correction:

Dave is literally the only personal hero of mine who did more for society on drugs rather than off.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
You know, I noticed that while covered in blood from Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult's set last night that when walking the streets and interacting with the people of Baltimore, you tend to get poo poo done much quicker.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Hey now.

He did those guest spots on Duck Dodgers when he was sober :colbert:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I get that for some people any band filling a room with more than 5,000 people automatically turns the band in the "too mainstream/poo poo" category, but saying Metallica is 'bad' is just dumb. Unless you're a musician and you can show me the music you, yourself, composed, it's very hard to take such comments seriously.

Discuss.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was with you until you went and made the claim that only musicians are allowed to critique music.

Because that is just dumb. We all have ears, we know when stuff sounds good.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
if you consider a band's music to be in the lowest, say, quartile of all the contemporary music of a similar style then it's pretty normal to call that band a bad band. I don't see this as controversial.

It sucks to talk about metallica can we talk about literally anything else? I've been digging the Tau Cross album, crust supergroup with dudes from Amebix and Misery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOBssPbHRVY.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
So Pitbulls in the nursery has a new album out, havent listened to it though.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Horrendous is going to be at St. Vitus next Friday. Sadly, I can't make it to the city, but I'm sure some of you can make it. Go check 'em out, they're good live and cool dudes.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Turk February posted:

Spotted my first dickhead in corpsepaint for the day at Edison Lot lmao

where you at because we are making some bad decisions soon at edison and also probably rams head

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

xzzy posted:

I was with you until you went and made the claim that only musicians are allowed to critique music.

Because that is just dumb. We all have ears, we know when stuff sounds good.

If you are not a pro football player you can't tell who won the match. So please shut up.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I'm not an actor but I can tell you Pauly Shore sucks at it.

Also gently caress you

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

where you at because we are making some bad decisions soon at edison and also probably rams head

I'm at Edison listening to some Celtic Frost :getin:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Does anyone else find Triptykon kind of boring or do I just have bad opinions about death metal?

Edit: Also the Indian food truck at Edison Lot is surprisingly solid. Will report back if I regret this move in a couple hours.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte

Hulk Krogan posted:

Does anyone else find Triptykon kind of boring or do I just have bad opinions about death metal?

That depends, are you a musician?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I am, but a pretty mediocre one. How does that work?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Hulk Krogan posted:

Edit: Also the Indian food truck at Edison Lot is surprisingly solid. Will report back if I regret this move in a couple hours.

Nope. You're right. As a (lovely) musician, I think that if Tom G. Warrior wasn't who he is then nobody would give two fucks about Triptykon. I only want to hear Hellhammer and Celtic Frost songs anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Well they aren't a death metal band so it wouldn't really matter either way

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Furism posted:

Unless you're a musician and you can show me the music you, yourself, composed, it's very hard to take such comments seriously.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
kick his rear end fatherdog