Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

sounds like bad with money on the bank's part - usually VCs get equity in the business

Banks usually send a pair of eyeballs out to make sure you actually opened your Doggie Day Care with their money, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Future bad with money: My siblings and I are inheriting money in the next month or so. Nothing life changing but enough where all of us will be able to clear our student loans and have money left over. However our sister who is 22 is a financial mess. Her highlights include revolving credit card debt, quitting her job because her friend was quitting, owing money to friends and family that helped her go on a month long Thailand vacation, and deciding to transfer to a private school that costs 30k a year because it was too much work to apply to a Cal State.

We are hoping there is a way to protect her from herself but I think we all know at the end of the day she is going to blow this money. Outside of trying to trick her into thinking she can't touch the money until she is older I am fairly certain it will be gone within 2 years.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is super petty and I recognize that, but my coworker bought a really expensive pack of certificates and it chaps my rear end every time I look at them. We use them once a year for youth awards; the pack supposedly made 50 certificates but she managed to waste about a fifth of the paper before I confiscated it and started printing them myself. We finally ran out of paper after I finished up this year's awards and out of curiosity I priced out what it would cost if I wanted to put together supplies to make 50 certificates from say Staples/Amazon vs this fancy specialty store and now I'm pissed off all over again at how overpriced this pack was.

In the long run it was only a $50-$60 difference and we did use them for a long time so it's not like it was a huge waste but UGH I just hate looking at them because they're like a physical embodiment of how frivolously wasteful she can be. Her personal finances are a disaster but that's her business; it just irritates me to no end when it bleeds over into work because we're grant funded and need to use our money responsibly. The certificate itself isn't even that important to the kids because they're more excited about getting up in front of everyone at graduation and being listed in the program and getting a stole to wear with their robe (that my boss's wife makes by hand so they cost us practically nothing!)

...It also pisses me off that now I have a bunch of high dollar certificate folders left and no paper that matches them because she wasted so much of it.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Aliquid posted:

Banks usually send a pair of eyeballs out to make sure you actually opened your Doggie Day Care with their money, right?

For $10,000, probably not. Probably just has him sign some letter saying the funds are being used for their stated purpose. So he's most likely committing a couple more felonies.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sic Semper Goon posted:

But I've already got an ironic beard, live in California and follow the paleo diet!

I need something, anything to fill the void until I collapse into my embittered 30's, as millions before me have.

Content:

My former co-worker told me today that a local bank approved his brother for a $10k loan.

The reason for that loan? I don't know what he told the bank, but he freely admits that he's going to start a grow room.

He obviously just said he is gonna be making some "Home Renovations".

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
https://www.facebook.com/Chevrolet.Corvette.C7.Stingray/videos/859342324127824/?fref=nf

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What is this? I can't see it.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Luigi Thirty posted:

What is this? I can't see it.

It appears to be a brand new Corvette C7 being driven into a forest after the driver loses control while doing something stupid.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wickerman posted:

It appears to be a brand new Corvette C7 being driven into a forest after the driver loses control while doing something stupid.

To be fair, the driver lost control and did something stupid well before the camera began filming.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
I'm considering putting a moderate amount of money into buying a small, run-down property within commuting distance of London as a buy to let. Is this an atrociously stupid thing to do? Close family members will do the renovation and other things, I do not live in the UK at present.

Any better suggestions will be considered. I'm increasingly aware that I need to spread things around a bit to avoid being a complete idiot (of the kind that money savvy people will point and laugh at) but I really don't know where to start.

Fairly passive fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 23, 2015

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

What do you define as commuting distance? Uk ideas and usa ideas about reasonable commutes are very different.

London is a good offset for much of that because its london and kinda like its own world with its own rules.

If the property in question is close enough to london it will be caught in the current massive inflation of house prices thats going on there. So I would be worried about that. The idea that holy poo poo maybe we need more houses has finally become a political talking point. As has the fact that london has become so expensive that most people struggle to live there. That said we elected the tories to government who had the weakest plans to fix the problem. I would definitely educated myself more on how this issue is playing out and both london and governments plans to fix this before investing as if they launch any real home building schemes expect to see the value of your house crash. It may even do so anyway as its clearly a bubble.

Also make sure you brush up on uk law around renting. And figure out just how much help relatives are going to give you, have plans for when they quit half way through.

Consider global riets instead especially if you are buying out right if you want greater property exposure. If you are buying on leverage be aware uk interest rates are going up very soon despite current uk deflation.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

What do you define as commuting distance? Uk ideas and usa ideas about reasonable commutes are very different.

... this issue is playing out and both london and governments plans to fix this before investing as if they launch any real home building schemes expect to see the value of your house crash. It may even do so anyway as its clearly a bubble.

About 25 to 30 miles. A crash is one of my biggest worries- is this 2007?

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

And figure out just how much help relatives are going to give you, have plans for when they quit half way through.

My mum has a side business buying dilapidated properties, renovating them with family & a few hired hands (plumbers, electricians etc) and selling them on. Not expecting her to become unwilling to help a little.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Consider global riets instead especially if you are buying out right if you want greater property exposure. If you are buying on leverage be aware uk interest rates are going up very soon despite current uk deflation.

There may be a little leverage involved, but not UK based leverage. Is this... problematic?
I think I'd like to split things- one part property, one part something of higher risk and greater reward that is not property related, and a third something dull dependable and stable.
Would that be wise?

Fairly passive fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 23, 2015

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Fairly passive posted:

About 25 to 30 miles. A crash is one of my biggest worries- is this 2007?

As someone who doesn't live in the UK, a 25-30 mile commute sounds loving huge for London.

I was talking to an Scottish guy the other day who moved here to Australia, he was talking about how going from Edinburgh to London was a 4-5 hour drive, and that was a loving huge deal where people planned week long getaways to make it worthwhile, and when he first got here he couldn't believe people in Australia will travel 4-5 hours one way to spend an afternoon at the pub drinking with a friend.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
I live in the UK my commute is a 6 min walk. It is far too long, bordering on unacceptable.

Seriously though 30 miles in rush hour traffic could be upwards of an hour. An hour long commute is pretty drat high, it's right on the border of what most people will call acceptable.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Fairly passive posted:

I'm considering putting a moderate amount of money into buying a small, run-down property within commuting distance of London as a buy to let. Is this an atrociously stupid thing to do? Close family members will do the renovation and other things, I do not live in the UK at present.

Any better suggestions will be considered. I'm increasingly aware that I need to spread things around a bit to avoid being a complete idiot (of the kind that money savvy people will point and laugh at) but I really don't know where to start.
Bad idea. Absentee buy. Absentee reno. Absentee landlord. Potential money pit.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I just want to reiterate how bad it is with money to pay people to do your laundry for you. I just decided to try it since I am extremely bad at folding clothes, and it costs six times as much as it would with the pay laundry machines in my building's basement. I didn't decide to go back on it because I didn't want to be a jerk to the people at the cleaners, but I will never, ever be doing this again.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Hadaka Apron posted:

I just want to reiterate how bad it is with money to pay people to do your laundry for you. I just decided to try it since I am extremely bad at folding clothes, and it costs six times as much as it would with the pay laundry machines in my building's basement. I didn't decide to go back on it because I didn't want to be a jerk to the people at the cleaners, but I will never, ever be doing this again.

Some people, and this may come as a real shock to you, can afford things that some other people cant.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I wonder if they're as bad as many Michigan roads.

Yeah... Living in the midwest, every spring, half the roads look like that.

Zo posted:

Some people, and this may come as a real shock to you, can afford things that some other people cant.

Laundry is like one of the easiest things to do in the world, assuming you just have normal clothes. I say this as someone who works out 3-4 times a week, and I end up with a ton of sweaty clothes, especially in the winter.

You can literally fold clothes while watching tv. I would say that paying people to wash your clothes is right in the mindset of this thread.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 23, 2015

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Hadaka Apron posted:

Good with money: When you're on a business trip and work is reimbursing you for your expenses, bring your laundry to the hotel.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

TLG James posted:

Laundry is like one of the easiest things to do in the world, assuming you just have normal clothes. I say this as someone who works out 3-4 times a week, and I end up with a ton of sweaty clothes, especially in the winter.

You can literally fold clothes while watching tv. I would say that paying people to wash your clothes is right in the mindset of this thread.

lol this is like the cooking thing all over again, where people are literally incapable of imagining different budgets/circumstances than their own

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

That is so cute that you assume people who have disposable income necessarily have laundry in their apartment/building.

Cities exist, and I sure as poo poo don't want to cut into my work hours/relaxing time to sit in a laundromat to keep my underwear from getting stolen when I can pay $5 more and have it washed and folded.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

TLG James posted:

If you don't have a w/d in your apartment or house, doing laundry involves 3-4 hours of continuous time, because you can't just leave it in the laundromat/shared driers. I can easily see someone with disposable income paying $10/week to free up 3 hours. Doubly so if they have kids/dependents.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
And the premium on an in unit w/d is potentially over a hundred a month in areas around me.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Paying for someone to do your laundry can be good with money? Wow, like, people have different circumstances sometimes!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
The correct answer is to take your laundry to the laundromat in a sensible used car costing less than $2500, then bring your slow cooker with you to effectively make use of your time and other people's electricity.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Most the poo poo on here needs to be qualified with for some people....

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
If I could pay $5 for 3 loads to be folded, I'd do it. And my gf folds my laundry for me/us... I run it through the machine and she folds.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Zo posted:

lol this is like the cooking thing all over again, where people are literally incapable of imagining different budgets/circumstances than their own

"affording" things and things making sense are not the same thing.

I could afford a person/service to wash and dry my clothes, it still doesn't make it good with money.

Obviously, if you don't have a washer/dryer, then yes maybe it does make sense to pay for it to be done than sit in a laundromat, assuming your free time is worth more than the time it takes it do that.

I literally don't see how that is different than ordering in food too much, because you're too lazy to cook and you have an oven.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
All of my button-down shirts get laundered and starched. This is good with money because they last much longer. Plus my wife doesn't scowl at me for going to work in wrinkled shirts.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hadaka Apron posted:

When I was studying in Thailand for the first time I got a deal on a decent midrange hotel in Chinatown. It was like 50 cents per item, or you could go down to the backpacker part of town and pay $1/kilogram :getin:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I made that mistake backpacking in Turkey. $1-2 per load in the sticks and as soon as I get into a touristy area in Istanbul, my clothes were held hostage until I coughed up $25 to the slyly-smiling matron.

Bad with money: agree on a price beforehand.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Knyteguy posted:

Most the poo poo on here needs to be qualified with for some people....

I disagree, you see, anyone who spent any money on <any service involving manual labor than they can do themselves> is, without exception, bad with money.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Paying for a maid to come in and clean my house and do my laundry is the best way I have ever used my money. I work hard at work partly so I don't have to work hard at home too, because trading cash for goods and services that enhance our quality of life is the entire point of the economy.

Edit: this is a stupid derail! Sorry for contributing to it.

Bad with money, I was over in Santa Cruz and bought some fruit at a roadside stand and they charged me $32 and I paid it without thinking and after realized that was loving expensive for a thing of blueberries, cherries, and a couple avocados. Singapore is allegedly expensive but the Bay Area gave me stickershock more than anywhere I've been.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 24, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Bad with money: a friend of mine has a f150 lease ending this month and has "credit card payments" totaling of $700 for the minimum monthly payments and only pays the minimum.

He can't lease a new f150 for less than $500/mo on a car starting at $26k msrp.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

flyboi posted:

Bad with money: a friend of mine has a f150 lease ending this month and has "credit card payments" totaling of $700 for the minimum monthly payments and only pays the minimum.

He can't lease a new f150 for less than $500/mo on a car starting at $26k msrp.

Holy poo poo. Being from TX, the f150 is like the state vehicle, and none of them are sold at base spec. I bet he's going for a platinum trim for a lease to be that expensive. The number of oil guys around here daily driving F250 quad cab full bed trucks is ridiculous. They were all happy that gas got cheap, and then they lost their jobs :ughh:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Taco Box posted:

Holy poo poo. Being from TX, the f150 is like the state vehicle, and none of them are sold at base spec. I bet he's going for a platinum trim for a lease to be that expensive. The number of oil guys around here daily driving F250 quad cab full bed trucks is ridiculous. They were all happy that gas got cheap, and then they lost their jobs :ughh:

Probably also paying a usurious interest rate. If you're leasing at more than about 1% you're BWM

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dik Hz posted:

If you don't have a w/d in your apartment or house, doing laundry involves 3-4 hours of continuous time, because you can't just leave it in the laundromat/shared driers. I can easily see someone with disposable income paying $10/week to free up 3 hours. Doubly so if they have kids/dependents.

$10 a week?

I spent that on machines to do laundry myself just this week :smith:

e: I'm going to start doing laundry in my bath tub.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Beat your clothes with rocks in the local stream, then dry it on your roof.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Do what that crazy lady on extreme cheapskates did and just shed your clothes in your tub during your 5 minute shower and stomp your soapy body filth water into them with your feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DrSunshine posted:

Beat your clothes with rocks in the local stream, then dry it on your roof.

Actually, better yet, I'll just use the recent illegal dumping scandal and the ongoing investigation for contaminates in our water as an excuse to just not do laundry anymore and to continuously keep wearing the same dirty clothes.

Doing laundry is bad with money :getin:

• Locked thread