Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BlueGhostie posted:

I'm not too worried about the battery, I am making it replaceable but since it runs on a 9v the middle area is the best fit (also I probably won't ever need to change it based on how long my Mjolnir has held up). I have planned that part out though.

Thank you for reminding me about how resin heats up, I totally forgot about that! I guess I'll switch to tinfoil because I was going to wrap the whole base with it and fill the entire handle from the inside out (insulating/securing wiring and adding strength/weight)

As for the blade, I planned on using some sort of acrylic or solid plastic piece, I will dremel out a space between the 2 plywood sheets that make the axehead and only the light edge will be visible. I will definitely play with steel wool and rubbing alcohol though, I want a real nice laser-edge effect.

Thanks again! You gave me a ton of ideas to work from!
:woop:

My friend just emailed me a reminder. If you are going the "craze" option with the acrylic or plexiglass, make sure to get the extruded version. It's a bitch to work with (melts when the bandsaw is too fast, etc), but it's the version of it that will craze when it meets alcohol after you fire polish it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
SO. CLOSE.

The little skull boner up top just needs horns of its own and this motherfucker is DONE. I'm so close. I have been working on this stupid thing for months at this point and I'm going to throw a goddamn party tomorrow when it's finally ready to set aside. All of this was sculpted fully by hand out of mostly worbla with a bit of craft foam, sintra, and tin foil in there. My fingers have no fingerprints anymore.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

McPantserton posted:

SO. CLOSE.

The little skull boner up top just needs horns of its own and this motherfucker is DONE. I'm so close. I have been working on this stupid thing for months at this point and I'm going to throw a goddamn party tomorrow when it's finally ready to set aside. All of this was sculpted fully by hand out of mostly worbla with a bit of craft foam, sintra, and tin foil in there. My fingers have no fingerprints anymore.

You know what that means. Time for a crime spree! No prints. No crime. gently caress, do it in costume. Who's going to believe someone who claims that a space marine/Lich King robbed them?

The sculpt looks fantastic as always

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

CzarChasm posted:

You know what that means. Time for a crime spree! No prints. No crime. gently caress, do it in costume. Who's going to believe someone who claims that a space marine/Lich King robbed them?

The sculpt looks fantastic as always

Hahaha I have totally joked (yes... joked...) about this before. How else could I afford all this worbla?
For real though guys, IT'S DONE. This motherfucker is DONE. I posted my first picture of this helmet to my facebook on March 28th. UGH. It's probably the most complicated single piece I have ever sculpted, which is saying something after my goddamn Edea helmet. And it fits my head sooooo well. I wouldn't recommend this to somebody who hadn't worked with worbla a lot before but I shaped the front eyepieces right onto my face so it conforms to my face perfectly. I like don't even know what to do with myself right now. (jk now let's make the rest of the costume :gonk: )

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I almost feel that saying your work is awesome is kind of unnecessary, because all your work is awesome. I'm terribad at sculpting anything. I'll agonize over every little detail for hours/days, and it'll still come out looking like a 5th grader made it in art class.

Speaking of completed projects, my stilts are motherfucking DONE. I only posted about them back in February. After enduring through all but two pieces of sintra breaking in that fall(do never buy sintra. that stuff is utter poo poo against compression shocks), I was able to rig a bunch of nylon strapping to use in its place. I sewed until my eyes crossed, and the end product is strong enough to hold my weight but also strap tight enough to clamp the supports to the sides of my legs, making them immobile, which is great. I'll get some pictures of me walking in them tomorrow.

For my next step, I have to design some folding forearm crutch/stilts that also incorporate some large mechanical hands. I have the idea of how I want the crutch/stilt part to go, but I need to get some idea for materials for the hands. Can anyone recommend me a material that is relatively light, bend/flex resistant, able to be sanded/cut easily, and most importantly, cheap? I know acrylic is definitely out due to price, but something similar in properties to that would probably work great.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

I almost feel that saying your work is awesome is kind of unnecessary, because all your work is awesome. I'm terribad at sculpting anything. I'll agonize over every little detail for hours/days, and it'll still come out looking like a 5th grader made it in art class.

Speaking of completed projects, my stilts are motherfucking DONE. I only posted about them back in February. After enduring through all but two pieces of sintra breaking in that fall(do never buy sintra. that stuff is utter poo poo against compression shocks), I was able to rig a bunch of nylon strapping to use in its place. I sewed until my eyes crossed, and the end product is strong enough to hold my weight but also strap tight enough to clamp the supports to the sides of my legs, making them immobile, which is great. I'll get some pictures of me walking in them tomorrow.

For my next step, I have to design some folding forearm crutch/stilts that also incorporate some large mechanical hands. I have the idea of how I want the crutch/stilt part to go, but I need to get some idea for materials for the hands. Can anyone recommend me a material that is relatively light, bend/flex resistant, able to be sanded/cut easily, and most importantly, cheap? I know acrylic is definitely out due to price, but something similar in properties to that would probably work great.

How large do you need the pieces to be? Because a lot of plastic supply stores have plenty of acrylic scrap that they sell for dirt cheap.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
At risk of sounding facetious, wood satisfies those conditions pretty well...

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

I have this same problem, but I took a different tack. Play to your strengths; if sculpting is not what you're good at, see if you can replace it with a different skill.

I can't sculpt at all, but I'm really good with styrene. When I played Warhammer 40K, I scratchbuilt a lot of vehicles because I couldn't afford to buy the kits. When I needed to make a skull belt buckle for my AC IV costume, I tried sculpting, every effort was terrible. Not only were the results not usable, each attempt took forever.

To make this, I used styrene to design the back of the buckle. The skull is a casting of a halloween decoration. I combined the two, and voila.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

thespaceinvader posted:

At risk of sounding facetious, wood satisfies those conditions pretty well...

I need the individual pieces that will make up the fingers to be too thin for most woods to work well. One bit of pressure to a side and it would snap. My plan is to build a skeleton of finger "bones" that will be a slightly slimmer version of what you see here, then secure PVC tubing over the bones to round out the finger segments, and cover the whole thing with a fabric glove that'll be the skin.

everythingWasBees posted:

How large do you need the pieces to be? Because a lot of plastic supply stores have plenty of acrylic scrap that they sell for dirt cheap.

I'm actually not 100% sure. I'll probably go with 3mm sintra for the frame piece that the fingers will be mounted to, so that leaves each finger segment. I've gotta get some posterboard and experiment, but I'd imagine that the longest bone segments should be maybe 3-4 inches long or so.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

neogeo0823 posted:

I need the individual pieces that will make up the fingers to be too thin for most woods to work well. One bit of pressure to a side and it would snap. My plan is to build a skeleton of finger "bones" that will be a slightly slimmer version of what you see here, then secure PVC tubing over the bones to round out the finger segments, and cover the whole thing with a fabric glove that'll be the skin.

I'm actually not 100% sure. I'll probably go with 3mm sintra for the frame piece that the fingers will be mounted to, so that leaves each finger segment. I've gotta get some posterboard and experiment, but I'd imagine that the longest bone segments should be maybe 3-4 inches long or so.

What about 3D printing? I found a few websites that did special orders for good prices.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Funhilde posted:

What about 3D printing? I found a few websites that did special orders for good prices.

I was planning on asking the local makerspace about possibly whipping up some pieces for relatively cheap this week, yeah. The only problem there is that I have no 3D modeling software to give them, so I'd have to have them help me do that, which is more a bump than a hurdle, I guess.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This sounds like a job for Lego Technic bricks. Right size, made of molded ABS so they're plenty strong, and they're reasonably cheap.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015

Monaghan posted:

rebellion's done in time for anime north.

I may have got a bit too heavy on the weathering, but I tried to make the sword reflect all the crazy poo poo that dante goes through in his games.

I am glad I am done this thing.

Hey, I saw you at the foam panel. This thing looks great in person. I almost said something but decided I'd stare from across the room and make this post later on instead. Hope you had a nice weekend.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone have experience with fabricating costumes that are basically giant forms?

I'm trying to plan out a large Totoro.

For now I'm imagining a bunch of hoops and then strips of foam as some kind of vertical ribbing. Everything gets covered in plush fabric/fur.

Some advice would be great!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I don't know if this is quite the place to ask, but does anyone in the thread do any commission work? I'm trying to get a Namor costume together in the next few months and don't really have the skills to make the bracers and belt, which I guess would be foam? I've just kinda started to get into the cosplay and any help would be appreciated :)

Image for reference.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
That looks fairly simple, the gold bits can be done with craft foam on the cheap-n-easy or thermoplastics if you want something shinier and less likely to chip or wrinkle when you flex your wrists. Alternatively, go to the mall and search the women's fashion stores for big gaudy bangles that can be turned into the bracers. They should bend with little effort to accommodate man hands. The belt is open to a little more interpretation: gold fabric waistband on his undies, standalone belt, or plastic/foam? Having it attach would keep it from shifting around when you walk.

The trident would be the more fun project with a broom handle or wood flagpole (dowel rods are typically 3 feet), wood or plastic (I'm poor and would use a carved insulation foam sheet covered in paper mache), paperclay, and loads of paint. Put a layer of black under the gold to make it pop out more.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

gamera009 posted:

Anyone have experience with fabricating costumes that are basically giant forms?

I'm trying to plan out a large Totoro.

For now I'm imagining a bunch of hoops and then strips of foam as some kind of vertical ribbing. Everything gets covered in plush fabric/fur.

Some advice would be great!

How big? I know some puppet makers in town...

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

TheKingslayer posted:

I don't know if this is quite the place to ask, but does anyone in the thread do any commission work? I'm trying to get a Namor costume together in the next few months and don't really have the skills to make the bracers and belt, which I guess would be foam? I've just kinda started to get into the cosplay and any help would be appreciated :)

Image for reference.

Why not leather?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Funhilde posted:

How big? I know some puppet makers in town...

A shade bigger than me.

I would love the hookup here! :v:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

gamera009 posted:

A shade bigger than me.

I would love the hookup here! :v:

Let's chat. :)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Welp, I managed to find someone local that makes spandex dance wear and they have textured scale fabric and said they can add the belt to the trunks. So that's pretty drat awesome.

Now off to the mall to find some sweet bangles and puzzle out a possible trident.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
This year for Halloween (and future cons, if I get it looking good enough) I am trying to put together a Nazgul/Ringwraith costume. I've found a source for some very nice-looking metal-infused-resin gauntlets, and I bought a knockoff sword on eBay that I'm going to weather with acrylic paint. However, the clothing has me somewhat stumped.

I've read varying accounts of the original costumes, but all of them indicate that there's a lot more fabric in there than you'd expect (up to ~50 yards) - lots of different layers in slightly different weaves/colors of fabric. Honestly, I don't even know where to start. My friend suggested beginning with a Jedi robe pattern and improvising from there, which seems like it might be a decent base. But in the pictures I've seen, it looks like there's some sort of tunic and pants underneath, then some kind of long jerkin, then a number of robe-like things, then a cloak on top, and finally a hood/headpiece that covers the shoulders (but also goes all the way down the front of the robe). I can't even really conceptualize all of the separate pieces - it just looks like a bundle of tatters, and I can't tell where one ends and another begins.

I guess what I'm saying is, does anyone have experience with a Nazgul costume and can offer any advice about the basic construction of these layers?

Also, 90% of the other Nazgul that I've seen out there just look like normal-sized people wearing a Grim Reaper outfit - so I really want to get the proportions right. I understand that the original movie costumes had some sort of hump/extension on the actors' shoulders/heads, so that the Nazgul's "face" and "shoulders" would be taller than the average person, and that it would obscure the human profile. Any ideas on how to construct such a thing? I was thinking possibly football shoulder-pads as a base, or potentially a backpack frame of some sort. The only problem with that is that I'd have Batman-style head-fused-with-neck-and-shoulders syndrome. In my ideal world, I'd be looking out through a mesh in the chest area, and there would be a totally empty hood above me (fabric draped over some sort of hollow head-shaped base), AND I'd be able to turn the "head" at least a bit. Is this too ambitious?

New to the thread, so forgive me if there's relevant stuff that I've missed earlier on!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Patattack posted:

This year for Halloween (and future cons, if I get it looking good enough) I am trying to put together a Nazgul/Ringwraith costume. I've found a source for some very nice-looking metal-infused-resin gauntlets, and I bought a knockoff sword on eBay that I'm going to weather with acrylic paint. However, the clothing has me somewhat stumped.

I've read varying accounts of the original costumes, but all of them indicate that there's a lot more fabric in there than you'd expect (up to ~50 yards) - lots of different layers in slightly different weaves/colors of fabric. Honestly, I don't even know where to start. My friend suggested beginning with a Jedi robe pattern and improvising from there, which seems like it might be a decent base. But in the pictures I've seen, it looks like there's some sort of tunic and pants underneath, then some kind of long jerkin, then a number of robe-like things, then a cloak on top, and finally a hood/headpiece that covers the shoulders (but also goes all the way down the front of the robe). I can't even really conceptualize all of the separate pieces - it just looks like a bundle of tatters, and I can't tell where one ends and another begins.

I guess what I'm saying is, does anyone have experience with a Nazgul costume and can offer any advice about the basic construction of these layers?

Also, 90% of the other Nazgul that I've seen out there just look like normal-sized people wearing a Grim Reaper outfit - so I really want to get the proportions right. I understand that the original movie costumes had some sort of hump/extension on the actors' shoulders/heads, so that the Nazgul's "face" and "shoulders" would be taller than the average person, and that it would obscure the human profile. Any ideas on how to construct such a thing? I was thinking possibly football shoulder-pads as a base, or potentially a backpack frame of some sort. The only problem with that is that I'd have Batman-style head-fused-with-neck-and-shoulders syndrome. In my ideal world, I'd be looking out through a mesh in the chest area, and there would be a totally empty hood above me (fabric draped over some sort of hollow head-shaped base), AND I'd be able to turn the "head" at least a bit. Is this too ambitious?

New to the thread, so forgive me if there's relevant stuff that I've missed earlier on!

What if the fake head portion was attached to a helmet that you wore inside all this so you could swivel? The whole thing would need to be REALLY light so you don't hurt your neck of course but maybe like a styrofoam wig head bolted onto a helmet plus the shoulder height increasing? If it's all too tall your shoulders will look really weird though so I'd do some added height in the feet and some over the head.

Some friends of mine did a nazgul costume not that long ago where I thought their robes were really nice and they posted some photos that might be helpful, kind of unsorted but here's a link anyway! https://www.facebook.com/cosplay4usall/photos/pb.263465680410798.-2207520000.1432865000./800103566747004/?type=3&theater

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

McPantserton posted:

What if the fake head portion was attached to a helmet that you wore inside all this so you could swivel? The whole thing would need to be REALLY light so you don't hurt your neck of course but maybe like a styrofoam wig head bolted onto a helmet plus the shoulder height increasing? If it's all too tall your shoulders will look really weird though so I'd do some added height in the feet and some over the head.

Some friends of mine did a nazgul costume not that long ago where I thought their robes were really nice and they posted some photos that might be helpful, kind of unsorted but here's a link anyway! https://www.facebook.com/cosplay4usall/photos/pb.263465680410798.-2207520000.1432865000./800103566747004/?type=3&theater

Hmm...I think that could work! Like maybe I could...build some kind of high collar-like thing onto the shoulders, and have the fake head sitting on top of my head, poking through the collar. I was planning on wearing raiser shoes (+4" or so) as well.

Thank you for the photo reference! It does help coalesce some of my vague impressions about where these layers begin and end.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

Welp, I managed to find someone local that makes spandex dance wear and they have textured scale fabric and said they can add the belt to the trunks. So that's pretty drat awesome.

Now off to the mall to find some sweet bangles and puzzle out a possible trident.

I don't know if this is something you've already considered/purchased, but if you haven't, a dance belt is probably very important so that you don't end up looking like Boner Robin.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Everything about Boner Robin disturbs me. I have no desire to be Boner the Submariner.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Faltion, think you can take a commission for something that isn't a gun piece if it's super simple, and don't have to do any thing but model and print it? It's...basically just a 23cm long cylinder with some grooves in it and cap pieces. I don't have the tools I need to make that part of the prop and make it look good. The previous one I made looks janky as hell.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

When are you going to make it to BlizzCon?

I'm in full swing working on my costume for this year. Decided to go for it, this fan art I've drooled over for years. Pant/ies are completely done, base for the top is done, sleeves are done (minus trim). Starting work on the armor and props now.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Reformed Tomboy posted:

When are you going to make it to BlizzCon?

I'm in full swing working on my costume for this year. Decided to go for it, this fan art I've drooled over for years. Pant/ies are completely done, base for the top is done, sleeves are done (minus trim). Starting work on the armor and props now.

Ugh I don't know, maybe next year? I want to go so bad, once Arthas is done I'd bring him and my StarCraft marine too if I could and it would be so great. I used to make fun of people who did 100% Blizzard stuff but it's looking like I'll be doing a Diablo outfit this winter too. IT'S ME, I'M THE ONE I MADE FUN OF.

What is that fanart from? It looks super familiar. I love that hourglass, a cosplayer I follow made one recently out of worbla and the cup parts of 2 plastic wineglasses and it looked so cool! The armor part is looking awesome so far, keep posting!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McPantserton posted:

Ugh I don't know, maybe next year? I want to go so bad, once Arthas is done I'd bring him and my StarCraft marine too if I could and it would be so great. I used to make fun of people who did 100% Blizzard stuff but it's looking like I'll be doing a Diablo outfit this winter too. IT'S ME, I'M THE ONE I MADE FUN OF.

What is that fanart from? It looks super familiar. I love that hourglass, a cosplayer I follow made one recently out of worbla and the cup parts of 2 plastic wineglasses and it looked so cool! The armor part is looking awesome so far, keep posting!

Hopefully next year you can get tickets. I'd love to meet you in person, you make awesome stuff.

The fan art was posted on the WoW site something like 5 years ago, and I've been in love with it ever since. I just got some plastic wine glasses today, actually. Gotta figure out how to use my fancy new dremel now :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

taiyoko posted:

I don't know if this is something you've already considered/purchased, but if you haven't, a dance belt is probably very important so that you don't end up looking like Boner Robin.

Fun fact, as I recall Boner Robin there is a lady. The boner was intentionally awkwardly packing a codpiece.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
No I'm pretty sure that Boner Robin's a dude, and IIRC he and his mom (eeugh) run Cosplay Deviants.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Yeah boner robin has done other cosplays, including Shinji Ikari - that's a man baby.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Does anyone know a good source for red onesies?

I'm trying to get a Doof Warrior costume together from Mad Max since Greg Van Borssum, the fight choreographer for the movie, is coming for Supanova Sydney!

Time to scream "V8!" at him.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm trying to figure out what would be creepier for a mask. Imagine a big, 4 legged, non-human thing. Definitely alien or other-worldly, with dark colors, wispy, flowy sorts of patches coming off of it that kind of hide its exact form in a breeze, with a face that's blank white, with muted features that lack detail, and big empty, black eyes. What would be more unnerving, seeing it have a face like this, or like combination of this and this, minus the details?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The less human the better, given the premise.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm trying to figure out what would be creepier for a mask. Imagine a big, 4 legged, non-human thing. Definitely alien or other-worldly, with dark colors, wispy, flowy sorts of patches coming off of it that kind of hide its exact form in a breeze, with a face that's blank white, with muted features that lack detail, and big empty, black eyes. What would be more unnerving, seeing it have a face like this, or like combination of this and this, minus the details?

Perhaps take some inspiration from the Shy Guy, with a less cartoonish twist?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

... combination of this and this, minus the details?

Something like the DC Comics Court of Owls mask?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

MajorGravy posted:

Does anyone know a good source for red onesies?

I'm trying to get a Doof Warrior costume together from Mad Max since Greg Van Borssum, the fight choreographer for the movie, is coming for Supanova Sydney!

Time to scream "V8!" at him.

I would search for long johns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Funhilde posted:

I would search for long johns.

More specifically, a "union suit", which is the traditional full-body red prospector-style long john.