Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Ronnie posted:

Lets all discuss how great it will be to play this game.

What do you mean "will be"? You can play Squid Jump right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Ronnie posted:

I work for UPS and had to watch 44 (about 20 copies a piece i'd wager from the size) cases from Nintendo of America with "DO NOT SELL TILL MAY 29TH" emblazoned on them pass by me yesterday. I coulda just walked out with all of them... I coulda been playing Splatoon right now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oh well, at least that single game I got to play was fun.

The Splattershot Jr. build is way more threatening then the rollers.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Naah. "Dangerous" is

Krak-On Roller
3x MoveSpeed++
3x SpecialCharge++
3x SpecialDuration++

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jarogue posted:

I wonder if this mean they will be forced to do another Test Fire do to upsetting a bunch of fans with the server problem?

I hope so.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ronnie posted:

To be fair the actual game will be more than a one hour window where basically every person who even has a casual interest in the game is rushing to get in at once. Like yea obviously fix this poo poo Nintendo but considering the last test was pretty smooth I'm not exactly having squid based panic attacks.

That said, fix this poo poo Nintendo I want to ink people in the face.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
On the other hand, what I've found really really interesting about Splatoon during the testfires is that I'm actually seeing a lot of Japanese usernames. Not used to seeing them in shooters on consoles.

Commissar Ken posted:

I work for UPS and had to watch 44 (about 20 copies a piece i'd wager from the size) cases from Nintendo of America with "DO NOT SELL TILL MAY 29TH" emblazoned on them pass by me yesterday. I coulda just walked out with all of them... I coulda been playing Splatoon right now.

You are. :shepspends:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lemming posted:

Level 14 is loving hard. loving starfish.

Yeah I got to level 14 and then died. Fun little game though.

...oh the actual game? Yeah couldn't even get in once. Oh well.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Is anyone else's skin really itchy? Mine's really itchy.

Szmitten posted:

On the other hand, what I've found really really interesting about Splatoon during the testfires is that I'm actually seeing a lot of Japanese usernames. Not used to seeing them in shooters on consoles.

Its uniqueness probably helps a lot since there's also a ton of platformer and other non-shooter elements to it. I was actually talking to a friend how interesting it is from a game design perspective, since it offers equal or more agency to people who are bad at shooters than those who are good. Plus shooters and western games have been getting more popular in Japan than it's been in the past.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm giving up.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Got one match in,. then locked out when it crashed and the server became full. :(

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
You're a Error Code: 106-0311 now!
You're a Error Code: 106-0112 now!
You're a Error Code: 106-0311!
You're a Error Code: 106-0112!
You're a Error Code: 106-0311!
You're a Error Code: 106-0112!

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Stage 19 is some poo poo, pro tip: you can charge your jump while you're falling.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I'm giving up.

i'll never give up

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I keep getting different error codes:

118-0513
118-0521 (got this one twice)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mabels big day posted:

I'm giving up.

You're not ready to be a squid

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
If anyone's tired of Squid Jump, the tutorial is still playable from the weapon select screen.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Silentman0 posted:

Its uniqueness probably helps a lot since there's also a ton of platformer and other non-shooter elements to it. I was actually talking to a friend how interesting it is from a game design perspective, since it offers equal or more agency to people who are bad at shooters than those who are good. Plus shooters and western games have been getting more popular in Japan than it's been in the past.

Very much this. Aside of the aspect of shooting the ground rather than enemies (though there's a lot of that in single player), there's generally a great deal more platforming and verticality involved, and little considerations to be made - such as grates - that would never be an issue in a more 'realistic' shooter game.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Got in a lobby on my own somehow. I swear that timer in the top left keeps resetting itself.

The two matches I DID get into were fun. Motion controls are definitely going to take some getting used to.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Squid Jump stages past 20 are loving brutal.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Well, I got to play three matches and a loving shitload of Squid Jump. Still pretty hype for this game.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

oopsie rock posted:

If anyone's tired of Squid Jump, the tutorial is still playable from the weapon select screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHRS9vgBAcQ

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well this sure as hell did not work! Last time it worked so well it surprised me, no lag whatsoever and constant matches, now it can't connect at all. Can't say I'm not disappointed.

Hopefully this won't work as badly for the game proper, because otherwise that's one new IP that won't go anywhere, and that's just sad.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I like the part where I got to pick me eye colour.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Got stuck in a lobby by myself for the last five mins but brez_2 is here now

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
More like Global Ceasefire amirite.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I am glad that they are working these kinks out before launch. What little I had access to so far was a lot of fun. :)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Full lobby! Game starting!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just got a game.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I got in wtf!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I just got into a match!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Suddenly at2 minutes after the hour, I'm in a game!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
whoah past midnight and i'm in

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
I'm in

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I was able to get in, and I'm in the tutorial now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well this sure as hell did not work! Last time it worked so well it surprised me, no lag whatsoever and constant matches, now it can't connect at all. Can't say I'm not disappointed.

Hopefully this won't work as badly for the game proper, because otherwise that's one new IP that won't go anywhere, and that's just sad.

Lots of games ha e bad launch days. It's pretty much the norm. I'd go so far to say if your multiplayer is playable on launch day you aren't going g to make it, or you horribly over purchased servers. After the first week or two a game ends up with about half as many people on at any given time even if the overall player base is on the rise.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
People fillibg the lobby!

Game start!!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Guess it's extended. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't