Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dandywalken posted:

Bust it out pressing the same button as the crossbow, after selecting it on the menu with the different Signs. Except on the bottom.

You'll just sort of hold it out, and if it shines where a ghost is in the area, they'll speak.

Oh look at that, it's in my pocket. Thanks for the tip, I'm sure I would have found it eventually, but you definitely saved me some time looking around like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Quick question, how are mouse and keyboard controls on PC? I prefer controllers but I'm dealing with a bout of tendinitis in my thumb, so I may have to play a large chunk of the game sans controller.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
For those who were having trouble winning at card because all the no-name shopkeepers have high-powered decks: Get out of Novigrad.

If you wander the countryside first playing (and buying cards from) all those shopkeepers outside the city, who have simple decks, you'll have plenty of cards to take on the ones in the city afterward.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Offkorn posted:

For those who were having trouble winning at card because all the no-name shopkeepers have high-powered decks: Get out of Novigrad.

If you wander the countryside first playing (and buying cards from) all those shopkeepers outside the city, who have simple decks, you'll have plenty of cards to take on the ones in the city afterward.

This right here. You gotta keep playing simple townsfolk and buying up all the cards to get anywhere. If you're decent at winning against a random innkeeper or merchant try doing the Gwent quest for Velen. It's not terrible and you'll get a few decent cards. I'm getting better...especially when I get lucky enough to draw my only two hero cards. (For my Nothern deck, anyway...haven't really assembled the others yet.)

Here's a random bit of advice: Check out the merchant in the town where you talk to Graham about that Tower of Mice quest...he sells a saddlebag with 70 capacity. Not sure if you can win a better one racing (probably later ones) but if you have the cash, go for it. I think it's around 300 or so.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I accidentally found my first Troll by getting shipwrecked and almost literally washing up on his home.

This game :3:

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Daric posted:

Some of the decoctions are ridiculously powerful. Even if you focus on another set of skills, at least grab the mutation one in the alchemy line. My ekkimaras decoction lasts 40 minutes and heals me every time I hit an enemy.

Yep I wasn't paying attention and made the griffin dedoction. Was having a ton of trouble with the shrieker until I saw it and actually used it. It jacked my defenses up so high that even on hard difficulty I could pretty much wade in and swing at will on the thing.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised to see that the superior versions of potions give bonus effects in addition to just being longer lasting/stronger. Thunderbolt giving 100% crit chance during storms is pretty :black101:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Space Racist posted:

Quick question, how are mouse and keyboard controls on PC? I prefer controllers but I'm dealing with a bout of tendinitis in my thumb, so I may have to play a large chunk of the game sans controller.

The controls aren't great in either case. On PC you have double tap WASD to short dodge and the menus are a pain (albeit with hotkeys to skip directly to the screen you want), but on the plus side you have number keys for dialogue and you can control the camera in fights using the mouse and attack at the same time which is nice for fighting big groups of enemies. It's also handy to have a key bound to walk toggle since the analog movement is a little awkward--makes it easier to navigate smaller interior areas and all that. The horse is less infuriating with a controller, though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Space Racist posted:

I've found them to be perfectly adequate.

Woozy posted:

On PC you have double tap WASD to short dodge

You can rebind the short dodge key, I set mine to one of my side mouse buttons and it works really nicely.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I've been playing on a 360 controller the entire time and I've found the controls to be pretty perfect.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
I just fought two spectres, with oiled blades prepped spells and massive bombs it seemed like an easy fight.

But then I got stuck in the geometry of the game and felt like a pathetic goof for around five minutes as I continued to defend against them and try to gain freedom. I was stuck in stalagtites ( or were they stalagmites).

I threw an Aard sign, was thrown back a few meters and was free.

Witchers can fight, no matter what it is, we can fight.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm just letting my gear stay broken. It's not worth 100 ploughing crowns for a (temporary!) 10% increase in effectiveness.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Slothgate posted:

But then I got stuck in the geometry of the game and felt like a pathetic goof for around five minutes as I continued to defend against them and try to gain freedom. I was stuck in stalagtites ( or were they stalagmites).
Stalactites grow on the ceiling; stalagmites grow on the ground.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm just letting my gear stay broken. It's not worth 100 ploughing crowns for a (temporary!) 10% increase in effectiveness.

But then you get a big ugly icon in the corner of your screen. Uuuugh

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Djikstra is such a fun character, goddamn. I love this big rear end in a top hat. In fact I've yet to find a single character I don't like. In this entire game. Even the villains are fun. Well I guess Whoreson Junior wasn't likable in any way but that felt like the idea behind him anyways.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Zoo06 posted:

Here's a random bit of advice: Check out the merchant in the town where you talk to Graham about that Tower of Mice quest...he sells a saddlebag with 70 capacity. Not sure if you can win a better one racing (probably later ones) but if you have the cash, go for it. I think it's around 300 or so.

Alternatively wait until you do Pyres of Novigrad and buy +100 saddle bags for slightly less than 1k. Look for a trader in the Putrid Gardens or wherever ginger freaks like Triss hang out.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I just shaved. Is there anyway I can have sex with 3 witches?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

Why is this even in the game. Seriously. Item degradation has been ruled dumb poo poo you never ever put in a game ever since 2002. It's right next to QTE.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
So, letting gear drop to 0% doesn't render it unusable?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Philthy posted:

Why is this even in the game. Seriously. Item degradation has been ruled dumb poo poo you never ever put in a game ever since 2002. It's right next to QTE.

It punishes exploring, imo.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Philthy posted:

:agreed: Durability is a terrible mechanic. It generally has a minimal impact on how people play and basically serves as a pointless fun tax and money sink, which is dumb in a single player game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Item degradation is dumb but it's such a minor issue I can't imagine how people are angry about it. Repairing costs a pittance and it's not long before you're swimming in repair kits. Worst comes to worst just trade out your sword for any of the equally strong relic weapons you get at the end of almost any quest.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

Item degradation is dumb but it's such a minor issue I can't imagine how people are angry about it. Repairing costs a pittance and it's not long before you're swimming in repair kits. Worst comes to worst just trade out your sword for any of the equally strong relic weapons you get at the end of almost any quest.

It's a hassle that is so minor it shouldn't exist at all, except to be a hassle.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Gear degradation adds nothing to the game. It's just a pointless annoyance. I wouldn't say I'm mad about it, but I'm definitely not happy it's there.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Mouse hardware Yes or No?

I dont think I noticed a huge difference. Turned on the menu system is improved but not ingame

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

I dunno, early on it puts quite a damper on things. Repairing both swords to full from ~50% can quickly run you 150-200 crowns, i.e. most of a witcher contract's reward. At least at the point where I'm at that's a fair amount, especially since food and alcohol tend to drain a whole bunch of money as well on the harder two difficulties. It probably gets better later on, but by level 10 in Velen I've yet to have owned more than ~600 crowns at any point in time.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Poetic Justice posted:

It's a hassle that is so minor it shouldn't exist at all, except to be a hassle.

That's pretty much it, well put. The cost seems high for the first couple of hours, so you have to be conservative with your spending, but it becomes pocket change very quickly. I think it's a case of 'let's put that in there so players have to make decisions, but let's not punish them too hard' resulting in a compromise that's just not worth it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I started using some dwarven axe for my steel weapon, and I noticed I dont get finisher animations anymore. Are there just not any animations for weapons outside of swords? It doesn't even give the finishers for when human enemies are axii'ed either.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I doubt equipment degradation will be patched out but there will be a mod for it probably eventually at some point maybe in the future.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Regarding Gwent, something that puzzled me for a while: I didn't know where the hell the cards I won go since I couldn't use any. Then I saw them in the different factions and realized I can't mix and match faction cards together. d'oh!

I can only play with my standard northern reams deck so far. It's not great but I can beat a few merchants. Still yet to get any really good cards, though.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I started using some dwarven axe for my steel weapon, and I noticed I dont get finisher animations anymore. Are there just not any animations for weapons outside of swords? It doesn't even give the finishers for when human enemies are axii'ed either.

Yeah, the lack of finishers and decreased reach (at least it feels like that) doesn't seem to be worth the slightly increased damage. I use signs a lot; axii and aard really benefit from finishers.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Badly Jester posted:

Yeah, the lack of finishers and decreased reach (at least it feels like that) doesn't seem to be worth the slightly increased damage. I use signs a lot; axii and aard really benefit from finishers.

Does Aard allow finishers? I don't seem to be getting the same stunned animations that Axii gives me.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
^When you knock dudes down you can stab them on the ground, killing them. Aard is great for that especially cause it can hit multiple dudes.

Azazell0 posted:

Regarding Gwent, something that puzzled me for a while: I didn't know where the hell the cards I won go since I couldn't use any. Then I saw them in the different factions and realized I can't mix and match faction cards together. d'oh!

I can only play with my standard northern reams deck so far. It's not great but I can beat a few merchants. Still yet to get any really good cards, though.

Yeah it takes a bit to build up a good deck but once you do it's great. That said, beating the rear end in a top hat in the Vizima Palace with my lovely limited cards from White Orchard felt great. You can beat most opponents without OP cards, just requires time.

GatewayOfLastResort fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 24, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Does Aard allow finishers? I don't seem to be getting the same stunned animations that Axii gives me.

When they get knocked down and can't get up for a while, you can walk up to them and it will prompt you to press X to finish them (this works really well on harpies).

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

At some point you'll be drinking with 2 witcher buddies and Yen tells you to go to bed early... don't you dare listen to her.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

^When you knock dudes down you can stab them on the ground, killing them. Aard is great for that especially cause it can hit multiple dudes.

Yeah it takes a bit to build up a good deck but once you do it's great. That said, beating the rear end in a top hat in the Vizima Palace with my lovely limited cards from White Orchard felt great. You can beat most opponents without OP cards, just requires time.

How do you get decent cards? My enemies keep pulling out 10-strength heroes and I can't get anything like that.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Vodos posted:

At some point you'll be drinking with 2 witcher buddies and Yen tells you to go to bed early... don't you dare listen to her.

Haven't gotten that far yet, but it sure seems like the games make Yennefer seem like even more of a bitch than she is in the books. I mean, yeah, she's a bit much sometimes, but there's a reason why Geralt loves her so much. From what I've seen in the games so far, it's really hard to see that side of her, and Geralt just looks like a pussy whipped weakling.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

Haven't gotten that far yet, but it sure seems like the games make Yennefer seem like even more of a bitch than she is in the books. I mean, yeah, she's a bit much sometimes, but there's a reason why Geralt loves her so much. From what I've seen in the games so far, it's really hard to see that side of her, and Geralt just looks like a pussy whipped weakling.

Wasn't their love due to hosed-up magic?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Perestroika posted:

I dunno, early on it puts quite a damper on things. Repairing both swords to full from ~50% can quickly run you 150-200 crowns, i.e. most of a witcher contract's reward. At least at the point where I'm at that's a fair amount, especially since food and alcohol tend to drain a whole bunch of money as well on the harder two difficulties. It probably gets better later on, but by level 10 in Velen I've yet to have owned more than ~600 crowns at any point in time.

If you're getting most of your money from contracts you're doing it wrong. You want to murder bandits and sell their poo poo, grab relics out of hidden treasure sites, sell those, etc. I think I was up to three/four grand at level 10.

(Gear degredation is a pain, but it's such a minor annoyance I can't bring myself to get worked up about it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

The Lone Badger posted:

Wasn't their love due to hosed-up magic?

IIRC he already liked her a lot, maybe even loved her and then he used his last wish with a genie to make their fates intertwine forever or something like that. I might be misremembering, but 'love' wasn't necessarily part of that magic. One thing that binds them - other than crazy sex - is Ciri. Yen, like all sorceress and witchers, is sterile, but really wanted a child (I think she even tried magic IVF or something). Sharing that with Geralt makes him a lot more important to her than one of the many other dudes she's boning.