Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
None of those are names. My response when someone gives me that as a name will be "you know providing a false name to the police is a crime, now what is your real name? Seriously, you have one last chance. OK turn around you're under arrest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Everybody wants their kids to be a special snowflake.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
My kids daycare class has TWO kids names Aiden

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

:eyepop:

Goddamn, you guys, I thought I was underpaid....

Cost of living here is pretty low, but yea :smith:

Edit: between my wife and I we bring home enough to send my kid to private school and build a bigger than average house on a good sized lot in a nice neighborhood, but it helps that we save a lot and waited to have kids till we were almost 30 :shrug:

beanieson fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 24, 2015

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I hope your kid at least has a proper cajun name at least

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Hezzy posted:

sprayed another guy today, that's me getting coal for christmas

PAVA or CS? I still haven't had a does of PAVA yet.

I still have something to send you....sorry

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Branis posted:

I hope your kid at least has a proper cajun name at least

T-boy Delacroix

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
One of the guys I work with gave his kids "special snowflake" names so I can't even make fun of them at work. :argh:

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

DrakeriderCa posted:

One of the guys I work with gave his kids "special snowflake" names so I can't even make fun of them at work. :argh:

Do it, pussy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Mod request: Police Lounce 2.1: Do it, Pussy

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
The only good thing about "special snowflake" names is that it just makes it that much easier to verify it's the same person listed on the warrant.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

PAVA or CS? I still haven't had a does of PAVA yet.

I still have something to send you....sorry

PAVA. totally reasonable though

pls don't poo poo in a box

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

ZixTheYeti posted:

The only good thing about "special snowflake" names is that it just makes it that much easier to verify it's the same person listed on the warrant.

Favorite is probably Shithead Johnson. Pronounced "Shi-Thead" of course. Hey poo poo Head! Oh I mean Shithead! You got a warrant!

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Mod request: Police Lounce 2.1: Do it, Pussy

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Untagged posted:

Favorite is probably Shithead Johnson. Pronounced "Shi-Thead" of course. Hey poo poo Head! Oh I mean Shithead! You got a warrant!

My first instinct was to say black name cause i'm ignorant, but then I figured it has to be an irish name, cause only the irish can take english letters and give them a totally different loving sounds. How does the name Siobhan have a loving V in it??

one of my douchebag wolf hunter coworkers is reading On combat by david grossman. Should I ask him how a book about surviving the mean streets of urban america is relevant to rural policing?

Branis fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 25, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Branis posted:

My first instinct was to say black name cause i'm ignorant, but then I figured it has to be an irish name, cause only the irish can take english letters and give them a totally different loving sounds. How does the name Siobhan have a loving V in it??

one of my douchebag wolf hunter coworkers is reading On combat by david grossman. Should I ask him how a book about surviving the mean streets of urban america is relevant to rural policing?

Ask him if he's played any video games because if he had, grossman figures he's already a highly trained killer so he probably doesn't need the book :v:

But really, that book is alright to introduce somebody to the basics of psychological and physiological responses to combat but Jesus Christ the ~*~*~Wolfhunters~*~*~ have built a loving cult for that dude.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
So a NOLA (Housing Authority) cop got waxed just sitting in his cruiser yesterday. Beanie any local details? The one article said they just happened to find the vehicle at 7AM. Wondering if status checks are a thing down there, or if not at least the he should have been off duty at 5AM or whatever I wonder where he is check.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
we're supposed to do status checks every hour after midnight, but unsuprisingly it doesn't happen ever.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Pretty soon Obummer will have us all riding around on segways decked out in dockers and polos. A kinder, gentler, softer image to assuage the masses as they kill police at a rate 20 times higher than police kill them.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
but those segways will have m60 machine guns surplussed from the DoD mounted on them though.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Branis posted:

but those segways will have m60 machine guns surplussed from the DoD mounted on them though.

As long as they aren't painted in camo with bayonets on the end Obama should be OK with it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Untagged posted:

So a NOLA (Housing Authority) cop got waxed just sitting in his cruiser yesterday. Beanie any local details? The one article said they just happened to find the vehicle at 7AM. Wondering if status checks are a thing down there, or if not at least the he should have been off duty at 5AM or whatever I wonder where he is check.

That's pretty much what we're hearing too. Status checks aren't really a thing in nola as far as I can tell. I'll update as more info comes out, somebody always knows something and they always talk.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Pretty soon Obummer will have us all riding around on segways decked out in dockers and polos. A kinder, gentler, softer image to assuage the masses as they kill police at a rate 20 times higher than police kill them.
But he'll authorize Hellfire Dronestrike Justice to rain down on the savages so it'll all come out in the wash.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

We get status check'd every hour unless we've been on the radio during that time. It's pretty annoying when you're trying to catch a nap.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Our dispatchers told us that a status check is required by their CAD sometimes at random, but usually when there's been no traffic from a unit. It appearantly makes it so they can't do anything else but the CAD on their computer (like Minesweeper) until they clear it.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

They'll check our status if we're marked out on a call or something, but that's it. Although we don't usually have hours go by without either radio or MDT traffic so the dispatchers know we're still moving around. My old agency was the every hour after like midnight checks. Although it was usually the dispatcher's discretion, and sometimes it started as early as like 9pm.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Untagged posted:

They'll check our status if we're marked out on a call or something, but that's it. Although we don't usually have hours go by without either radio or MDT traffic so the dispatchers know we're still moving around.

Pretty much this. Status checks only if marked out. However all our cruisers have a "Automatic Vehicle Locator" (read: GPS) so dispatch always knows the cruiser's location when signed on.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Thank you to those who sacrificed for our freedom so that I may earn 3x overtime today. God bless.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Untagged posted:

They'll check our status if we're marked out on a call or something, but that's it. Although we don't usually have hours go by without either radio or MDT traffic so the dispatchers know we're still moving around. My old agency was the every hour after like midnight checks. Although it was usually the dispatcher's discretion, and sometimes it started as early as like 9pm.

Can also confirm this. We don't do every hour checks or anything like that because our officers are supposed to be both proactive (street checks, building checks, etc.) and document whatever they're doing, even if it's just report writing, going to impound, or whatever. Even besides those two things, they're often on the phone with the sarge/corp or with another officer so it's not an issue. Now, we HAVE had officers that have basically gone off the grid because they dozed off from drowsy sick meds and we've had to manhunt them, but they get chewed out for coming in to work THAT bad in the first place and get sent home.

Grem posted:

Our dispatchers told us that a status check is required by their CAD sometimes at random, but usually when there's been no traffic from a unit. It appearantly makes it so they can't do anything else but the CAD on their computer (like Minesweeper) until they clear it.

If it's the same CAD as ours (probably not, but I'm sure it's similar), the interval on the status check is not random and is actually set based on the officer's dispatch status. Like in our CAD, once an officer has been on a traffic stop for three minutes he blinks on the screen and needs to be checked on. Everything has a preset timer of one, three, five, ten, etc. minutes but this is more like a reminder to check status and as Untagged mentioned, dispatcher's discretion is a factor. We will often check on our officers before the timer flashes depending on the circumstances of the call or if our Spidey Sense is tingling.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

ZixTheYeti posted:

If it's the same CAD as ours (probably not, but I'm sure it's similar), the interval on the status check is not random and is actually set based on the officer's dispatch status. Like in our CAD, once an officer has been on a traffic stop for three minutes he blinks on the screen and needs to be checked on. Everything has a preset timer of one, three, five, ten, etc. minutes but this is more like a reminder to check status and as Untagged mentioned, dispatcher's discretion is a factor. We will often check on our officers before the timer flashes depending on the circumstances of the call or if our Spidey Sense is tingling.

Do you all actually check though? Ours is a timer, but routinely our dispatchers just hit the *status ok* button and don't actually bother checking. I'll be on a traffic stop for a while and never once have a status check, but there in the call notes is two *status ok* updates. Lazy Fuckers.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Untagged posted:

Do you all actually check though? Ours is a timer, but routinely our dispatchers just hit the *status ok* button and don't actually bother checking. I'll be on a traffic stop for a while and never once have a status check, but there in the call notes is two *status ok* updates. Lazy Fuckers.

Depends. Generally we do, ESPECIALLY traffic stops but again it's dispatcher discretion and the circumstance. For any call, we'll usually at least check by radio the first time and just reset the clock after that, but if it's a building check at the 7 Eleven or something, we'll sometimes not check the first time since they're probably just getting coffee or sitting in the car talking on the phone or whatever. Now, if they've been at the 7 Eleven for a while, like 30 minutes or longer, we're checking on them (which also serves as a good hint that they may want to clear that and be put on something else just to show they're actually moving around). My rule of thumb is that if I don't feel I can justify not checking on an officer, then I'm checking on them whether they like it or not. But that's just my standard; I've seen other dispatchers check status more frequently and less frequently than I do.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

White babies are worth more.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

duh

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
would it be rude to ask for proof of whiteness? If i'm gonna be paying top dollar for a white baby I need some proof that its gonna be white.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Cash on delivery is pretty standard for these transactions.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I'll give her 4 ounces of pure Afghan brown, but it's only a deal if she mainlines the whole lot before the birth.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
It's a trick it's probably her brother's baby.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Branis posted:

Theres gonna come a day in my career where I give dispatch one of the names on that list and say common spelling and I won't be saying it as a joke. Whatever happened to normal names? I have a friend who named his child Tregen. Fuckin white people ruin everything.

not copchat but newest white baby at my company is named "Cason." Like Jason, but with a hard C at the beginning.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I have a cousin who named her kid jameson, which is normal, but she tells everybody its cause she named him after her favorite whiskey.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that I'm really into pregnant girls so keep these pictures coming :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Branis posted:

I have a cousin who named her kid jameson, which is normal, but she tells everybody its cause she named him after her favorite whiskey.

YOU HAVE FETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROME BECAUSE OF YOUR NAMESAKE

• Locked thread