Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

NTRabbit posted:

A guy from another forum I'm on just launched a themed polyhedral dice set. Looks nice.

Weird that they knew players would want two D10s for percentile but seem to be including identical ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

theironjef posted:

Weird that they knew players would want two D10s for percentile but seem to be including identical ones.

One appears to have dots under the numbers, so you can tell them apart

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Sure enough. That's pretty clever.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

theironjef posted:

Are they at least left and right hands?

Edit: It would appear they are, yes.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah the d20 seems hard to use to me, but the guy wanted it to fit the theme
Its also probably worth noting that the d20 done up in the style that the other ones are would be useless. Barrel dice are fun and these look great but the set I have the d20 is pretty cylindrical making it relatively useless.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just got my copy of Spirit of 77 in the mail. Awwwww yeeeeaaaahhh.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its also probably worth noting that the d20 done up in the style that the other ones are would be useless. Barrel dice are fun and these look great but the set I have the d20 is pretty cylindrical making it relatively useless.

Seems like the best way to roll that D20 without it bouncing away at random would be to spin it like a coin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

theironjef posted:

Seems like the best way to roll that D20 without it bouncing away at random would be to spin it like a coin.

I suspect that's the idea, but it'd take a long time to do a roll.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The people buying a D20 that looks like a flying saucer are probably not in it for efficiency, since the icosahedron was pretty much figured out already.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

jivjov posted:

I like the concept but that d20 looks terrible

counterpoint: the shield-shaped d20 looks neat (and let's face it, "looks neat" is at least 90% of the reason to get nonstandard dice like these), but the salt shaker d12 looks ridiculous

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

gtrmp posted:

counterpoint: the shield-shaped d20 looks neat (and let's face it, "looks neat" is at least 90% of the reason to get nonstandard dice like these), but the salt shaker d12 looks ridiculous

Yeah, I phrased that poorly: I think it looks great from a thematic perspective. The concept for pretty much all the other dice is sound, I've played with people who use barrel dice, but it just looks like there'd be no good way to roll that d20, so even if you accepted a degree of unwieldy-ness as part of the whole design, that d20 is a few degrees too many.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bucnasti posted:

Actually we're going by order that you filled out the backerkit survey. Looking at the email addresses, yours was ordered on Monday, I don't know if it's shipped yet, but with people already getting theirs I suspect you'll see it early next week.

Our bank did not tell us we had a daily transaction limit, so we've only been able to order 50 books a day, we've resolved that and should have everything ordered by Friday.

Hah. I hope I didn't sound too whiney. I was mostly joking, I mean I've got the PDF copies to read afterall.

And a 50 transaction limit? That is pretty lame, but at least they were willing(?) to make an exception after a bit.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who backed Mistfall should expect to get a postcard from NSKN soon. Looks like they send them out to check if the addresses they were given were valid.

Very nice!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mare Nostrum: Empires is on KS, from the company that brought you Rebellion and Fief, so at the very least it's a trustworthy company. There's a $5 off pledge level for the Memorial Day weekend, bringing the game down to $60. I like the original game, but can't get it on the table since it basically requires 6 players to be present, but this edition apparently fixes it. I do hate that the Hero/Wonder cards have no text on them though, so there's going to be a lot of reference book passing back and forth.

Edit: I like that they changed the old "Slaves" resource to Gladiators, though.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 22, 2015

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/axton/fursuit-frenzy?ref=category_newest

Just gonna leave this here...

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Why is someone trying to make furry Yomi with bad MSPAINT cards. Why do the attacks have speed out to two decimal places. Why.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Burn it with fire!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Woo, new kickstarter for Endless Fantasy Tactics: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/otlgames/endless-fantasy-tactics-gaiden/description

More (larger) models and a collection of the extra missions. 10 bucks for the PDFs and access to the models. 50 bucks will get you a full party (10 crystals) with an optional model or two.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I'm dying.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

"A hug a day keeps playas at bay."

Curious as to how that works.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

dwarf74 posted:

That would be me! I didn't mean to upset you, and wasn't meant to be personal. But yes, I do think it's inconsiderate to backers to expect them to follow another site. Sorry to have ruined your night.

Aw hey, no worries. I'm over it now. You just caught me on a bad day. Indesign had a brutal bug where I couldn't type any text without it coming out one... character... every... second... and I had to revert to an older version. Luckily I save often, so I only lost about 15 minutes work, but I then lost a bunch more time trying to troubleshoot and figure out why I couldn't copy-paste the stuff I wanted to copy-paste without the bug recurring (I never figured it out). And then my internet decided to go completely to poo poo when my online playtest session was supposed to start.

As for all this talk about getting sick, I mean there's two kinds of getting sick, right? There's getting sick where you have to lie in bed coughing/puking/whatever for 2 to 5 days and then you're fine. And then there's sick like you all of a sudden need to spend hours or days at a time in hospitals for weeks or months on end. If the first one happens, then it shouldn't affect your deadline by more than a week. If the second one happens, then it's going to completely eradicate any deadlines you had and gently caress your project right up. Like, I told people when I got sick (the first kind), not because I wanted sympathy, but just because I had promised a weekly update and wanted to post about something. It cost me a couple of days, but I still think I can stay on schedule.

It's also about managing expectations. I built in a one-month buffer to my promise. I sketched out a timeline that looked like I could get things done by around the end of May, and then I told people it'd be done "in June" because obviously there will be some setbacks. If I had said it'd be out by the end of May I would be sweating right now. Instead, I'm working hard and feeling a bit of heat as June approaches, but not really worried. I really want to get it done in June though, because I've got another baby coming in July and I don't want to be trying to do crunch time on this project while taking care of a newborn.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Underpromising is really a habit kickstarters need to be in the habit of. Not to say to ever do less than your best, but overdelivering on your word is always better than underdelivering, even if the essential content would be the same either way.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Speaking of meeting expectations. I just finished processing all the printed books for Spirit of 77.

For anyone doing a RPG Kickstarter, DTRPG's print on demand service is pretty drat good:

Plusses + +
They can print from Europe or US, so shipping to Europe is reasonably priced and very fast.
Their publisher customer service has been really great, but is only available Mon-Friday
You can place orders via your publisher account at cost, DTRPG doesn't take a cut. This includes print and PDF, so you incur no cost to send out PDFs to your backers

Minuses - -
The QC on the books isn't perfect, I've seen a couple of books that are slightly crooked or trimmed unevenly, not enough to warrant sending them back but still not as clean as I'd like.
They have no way of entering multiple orders for printed books, you have to go through their online cart to place each order individually, this is super tedious and takes a long time.
Since the orders are placed individually, you don't get a bulk discount on printing.

Overall for small and medium sized projects I think it's a great deal, once you're over 1000 backers though you should probably look to a fulfillment service to ship your stuff

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Of course there's a BGG thread :rolleyes:ing about the change from slaves to gladiators. Of course.

On another note, holy hell I didn't think that Kickstarter would explode as much as it did. More than $80k in less than 24 hours. Who knew Academy Games had this much Kickstarter clout?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Of course there's a BGG thread :rolleyes:ing about the change from slaves to gladiators. Of course.

On another note, holy hell I didn't think that Kickstarter would explode as much as it did. More than $80k in less than 24 hours. Who knew Academy Games had this much Kickstarter clout?

Fief has earned them a very good reputation for taking older games and tweaking them into something better, and more than 4000 people backed that project. Add in Mare Nostrum's loyal fanbase and the fact that they've promoted the Kickstarter very thoroughly for the last two months, and this was always going to do well. $91k in 18 hours is a surprise, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So'77 arrived. drat they look nice.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A week or two ago someone posted a link to a KS that was a fantasy card game that could be played solo. Does anyone remember which game I'm talking about?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So when does Spirit of 77 go on regular sale?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

It's POD on DriveThru.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

A week or two ago someone posted a link to a KS that was a fantasy card game that could be played solo. Does anyone remember which game I'm talking about?

I dunno about kickstarter, but I know of two fantasy-themed card games with solo play modes: Lord of the Rings LCG, and Thunderstone Advance. I like and play both.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Evil Mastermind posted:

Probably not the game you meant but Dragon's Ransom has shipped and is solo/co-op.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tony-go/dragons-ransom-a-reverse-dungeon-crawl-card-game

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Celebrity Card Game Kickstarter: Round 2

A few minor differences from the last one:

1) The celebrity is actually talented in his field (it's John August, screenwriter on The Corpse Bride).

2) The game actually exists and has been playtested.

3) The art is slightly better.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Some of those cards are very pretty. It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be much game behind it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mojo Jojo posted:

Some of those cards are very pretty. It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be much game behind it.

Like Theomachy it's basically a classic card game - hold'em poker for that one, rummy for this one - with pretty art and ability cards. As a ten minute filler it's perfectly adequate.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I dunno about kickstarter, but I know of two fantasy-themed card games with solo play modes: Lord of the Rings LCG, and Thunderstone Advance. I like and play both.

thegodofchuck posted:

Probably not the game you meant but Dragon's Ransom has shipped and is solo/co-op.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tony-go/dragons-ransom-a-reverse-dungeon-crawl-card-game
I managed to find it; it was Assault on Doomrock. I will check out those other games, though; I've heard a lot of good stuff about Thunderstone Advanced.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kwyndig posted:

I think I posted these in the chat thread, but here are some coupon codes for 10% off the books.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=998af22606
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?discount=998bd9b8de

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Evil Mastermind posted:

I managed to find it; it was Assault on Doomrock. I will check out those other games, though; I've heard a lot of good stuff about Thunderstone Advanced.

Funnily enough I have that open in a tab and a reminder set. My excuse is when I replied I was on my phone, that's the ticket!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I would just like to point out that GMS has until Saturday of this week to meet his latest deadline to get the Far West PDF out to backers.

That is all.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I thought I'd just drop a note here (I'm crossposting to the Retro D&D thread too, since that's where most of the people who'd be most interested live) but Jeff Talanian is currently running a KS for some new adventures for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, his sword & sorcery themed retroclone. The adventures are already written and it's already funded, so it's currently in stretch goal mode. Also, the dinosaur cover is drawn by Val Semeiks, the co-creator of Howard the Duck.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1806106772/hyperborea-adventure-three-pack

Peas and Rice posted:

If I called in sick to my day job and delayed my work as many times as I've seen on Alas, Vegas and my still-unfilfilled Metamorphosis Alpha, I'd be collecting loving food stamps.

Which Metamorphosis Alpha KS is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

Which Metamorphosis Alpha KS is this?

This one, launched three years ago. Meanwhile, Goodman Games also launched Metamorphosis Alpha KS of their own, which shipped about a year later.

• Locked thread