Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tevery Best posted:

It's a great game. How much of it will allow you to experience the world of WFRP is probably another matter

It's a perfect simulation of waitng for a new Skaven codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

EvilChameleon posted:

Would you folks say that Viticulture would be a decent game as a gateway game? I haven't played it, but it seems like it could be babby's first Euro and/or babby's first 'real game,' also. Anyone have experience introducing it to non- or casual gamers?

I'd say you could probably get away with it. It's a pretty straightforward game. You might have to do a brief primer on the concept of WP games for people who've never played them at all before though, and I'd suggest using the advanced visitors even for a first game, they're much more balanced without being a great deal more confusing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

All this Diskwars talk made me check whether there's any new stuff on the only Diskwars blog out there and

:captainpop: Dude's got a ballsy gameplan if I've ever seen one.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd say you could probably get away with it. It's a pretty straightforward game. You might have to do a brief primer on the concept of WP games for people who've never played them at all before though, and I'd suggest using the advanced visitors even for a first game, they're much more balanced without being a great deal more confusing.

My wife does that want to play games but I got her to play Viticulture and she loved it and even beat me the first time we played. I think the theme is strong enough to overcome the "I'm not nerdy enough to play games" or whatever.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rumor has it that Junta is getting a reprint this summer. Does anyone know if the game actually holds up, or if I just have fond memories of playing it with ancient roleplayers?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BonHair posted:

Rumor has it that Junta is getting a reprint this summer. Does anyone know if the game actually holds up, or if I just have fond memories of playing it with ancient roleplayers?

Fond memories only. These days, you get the same effect by playing anything from Resistance to Archipelago, depending on what level of complexity you can stand and what game elements you enjoyed.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Dirk the Average posted:

Played a few games of Eminent Domain yesterday, and had a lot of fun, but the game feels too short at higher player counts. Any suggestions for extending the gameplay? Would it be a bad idea to set a fixed # of turns per player and go from there?

Define higher player counts (4? 5?), and do your games end more often with depleted stacks or influence?

If you're playing at 4 players and ending from stacks, you can always add the 5th player cards from the expansion to prolong the game.

The stacks get depleted faster the more players are doing the same thing, so are players diversifying enough?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I like that Diskwars is both cheap, good good quality (well, for cardboard components) and doesn't come with gigantic boxes. I got the Undead expansion and besides the Undead Army it also included a bunch of Dark Elves + Hero, Skaven + Hero and a new units for Chaos and Night Goblin (Greenskins). Oh, and a piece of double sided terrain with different rules per side. Too bad it's been nearly a year since the last wave of expansions and not a peep on anything new. Too busy milking that Star Wars IP I guess.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Dirk the Average posted:

Played a few games of Eminent Domain yesterday, and had a lot of fun, but the game feels too short at higher player counts. Any suggestions for extending the gameplay? Would it be a bad idea to set a fixed # of turns per player and go from there?

Were you playing with the expansion? One of the problems with the base game is that you spend the first half unable to do anything interesting. The scenarios from the expansion start everyone off with a level 2 tech which if anything speeds up the game, but it extends the interesting part of the game.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
I appreciate the thoughts on Spartacus. Honestly it doesn't sound right for my group. They're a bit too leery of cutthroat games. We had one player literally flip the board one time while playing Fortune and Glory because she thought we were ganging up on her. Probably true, but jeez... No reason to pout the rest of the day. Well plus I don't like games that heavily rely on dice. If they want to try it, the dude that raved about it will have to bring it with him next time or someone else will have to buy it. Thanks!

Okay, so Goonies Game Day.

We started off with Castles of Mad King Ludwig since we had 4 players to start and I've been wanting to play it. The hype from thread is accurate. It's a great game! It does take a while to figure out the value of rooms, so jumping right in as the Master Builder is tough. We had only one experienced player, so we made him go first. He went straight to basement tiles and pretty much had a monopoly on them early game. That actually helped since he was focusing on them, so we could set any basement tiles to high price points. It seems most people chose a type of room and kind of focused on that, which is probably a mistake, but we were noobs. For the most part we highly valued rooms that only have one entry way for auto completion. After I pulled off a nice combo with yellow, those shot up in value as well. In the end the player that focused on purple won because of the double scoring of rooms effect. That strategy will be tougher next time we play.

Next up was Jamaica. This was not a very long game. It's dice and random card draws. You are in pirate ships and you race around an island while collecting doubloons, random (good or bad) treasures, and food. The food is consumed to stop in most open water areas, if you don't have the required food for that spot, you have to backtrack until you can afford it. Doubloons are points as well as docking fees for ports. Once again if you can't afford to land on that space you have to backtrack. Oh and there is gun powder as well. It's used for combat because if you end up in the same space as another ship you have to fight. You both roll a 10 sided die and the higher roll wins. Gunpowder just adds to your roll. If you win you can steal some of their cargo or treasure or even give them one of your cursed treasures. The player that ended up winning had the treasure that allowed you to choose from 4 random cards instead of 3 and the extra cargo space. Both of those are very powerful special abilities. I ended up in 3rd of 5 players and I was only half way to the finish line, but my cargo hold was full of doubloons. The 4th player spend a bunch of doubloons on the last turn to make it past the -5 point line, but would have had to replace her doubloons with food or gunpowder anyway.

After that we played a couple of filler games Sushi Go and Lost Legacy. Meh, Sushi Go could be fun I guess. But explaining how to play and how points are done while playing is kinda dumb. I know it's a filler game, but still it's worth going through the cards and explaining the weird ones. Would have prevented people holding up the game to read the cards and ask "wtf is this poo poo?". Yeah.. Plus at one point we had two players side by side trying to go super fast while the other end of the table was explaining how chopsticks work. It'll be better next time, but it's totally filler. I wouldn't want to play it more than one or two rounds at a time. Lost Legacy fell kinda flat. It is a good game, but we shuffled in the two decks together since we had 5 players and then 3 players were almost immediately eliminated. I was one of the last two remaining players and we went through the rest of the deck trying to kill each other. In the end he held on to the X - Sneak Attack card and I drew the Lost Legacy on the last turn. So automatic win for me.

So after lunch we played half of Shogun. Normally it takes place over 2 game years with 4 seasons each year. We just decided to end it after the first year. That one is pretty long and since only one player knew how to play, several people weren't having a good time. I was killing it, but that's mainly because my neighbors weren't aggressive enough. The game comes with a really neat tower that you drop your wooden cubes into to resolve combat. Some cubes get stuck in the tower, so only the ones that fall out of the bottom are used to determine the winner. You may put in 6 red cubes and 3 blues and 3 reds and 4 blues might fall out if there were blue cubes stuck in the tower from earlier. Also green cubes represent farmers when attacking unclaimed territory or resolving revolts. Generally just one is added at a time, but they can also be stuck in the tower. If they fall out later they help the defender. I really like the cube tower idea. It beats dice and even cards. You can plan ahead if you mentally track which cubes are stuck in the tower. Like I attacked the red player and 3 cubes got stuck in the tower. So no one would mess with her for a while till they fell out. The rest of the game isn't bad, but was pretty slow going for a bunch of new players. All of your territories are cards and each one provides different resource amounts. Basically just gold and rice. Gold is used for everything and you only get paid once per season, so it's the biggest limiting factor for actions. Like in the 3rd season I had 12 territory cards but only a small amount of gold, so I just had to ration it out and couldn't just do every possible action. Another player lost his gold rich territory early in the game and never could recover. I'm sure in repeat plays that would probably push people to be more aggressive. Those 6 gold territories would be attacked instead of going for the random uncontested areas. Rice is only used in the 4th season, winter. You have to have enough rice to feed all of your territories or your farmers will revolt. The more you're starving people, the more they'll revolt. One player only had 3 rice by winter, so had revolts in 2 territories and lost one. The other was close, left him with one cube. I'm sure in year 2 he would have been eliminated from the game. I had 12 territories and could only feed 11. I went after the other guy so some of the greens from his revolt helped my 1 revolting farmer, so I also lost a territory. Could make for interesting strategy. Maybe you plan to starve your people and just load up your territories with troops to quell the rebellion. All in all, not a bad game. I wouldn't mind giving it another go, play the whole thing next time.

After watching Goonies (kinda required) we played Libertalia. Okay, so you all have a deck of 30 cards, marked with 1 through 30 on them. One player randomly selects 9 of those and everyone else looks through their deck and selects the same ones. There are 6 days to go through where everyone selects a card. The cards are placed in order from lowest to highest with ties resolved by a second 1-6 silver number on the cards. Then you do the possible day actions on the cards in lowest to highest order. After that you go in reverse order picking one of the 4 (1 per player) possible treasure tokens and adding your card to your "den". Then you resolve any night actions on the cards. After 6 rounds of that, you have a day of rest where you resolve any anchor actions on the remaining cards in your den and count up your points. This cycle repeats 2 more times, with your cards being filled back up to 9 each time. Left over cards in your hand from the previous rounds will be different for each player so it gets more diverse as you go. Many of the cards have negative day effects that happen immediately, but if you manage to keep them in your den till the day of rest, you gain a nice bonus. This is where the game can be annoying I guess. The player to my left killed every good character I had and basically crippled me the whole game. I was in last place the whole game and yet he kept attacking my characters, even when the player to his left (most attacks are limited to your right and left) had the same character in his den. Maybe it's because they are brothers, dunno.. Either way, on the third week I made it my goal to end him. Most of the treasure we drew were cursed or attacks. So every round I focused on collecting the cursed treasures. Clearly he wasn't paying attention because he played the Captain or whatever it is that gives you an additional penalty for having cursed treasure. On the final day I played the monkey card and passed all of my cursed treasure to him. With the additional penalty card in play, that gave him around negative 24 points. Mean? Spiteful? Worth it? Yes. The player to my right won the game, nothing I could have done to prevent it. But at least I was no longer in last place. :colbert:

Don't get me wrong, I would play it again.

Last game of the night was Abyss. We were down to 3 players and no one knew the rules that well, so it took a while to figure it all out. We pretty much just started playing and looked up stuff in the rule book if there were questions. The art is really fantastic! The game itself is okay. It's pretty simple. You start off with one pearl each, the currency for everything. There are 3 possible actions. You can search the deck of allies, collect all of the allies of one color from the piles on the board, or recruit a lord. The first player can't really do anything but search the deck. He flips over the top card and places it on the board in the row at the top which has like 5-6 spaces. Each ally has a value of 1-5 and a color. The other players get first dibs, but they have to pay the current player a pearl to take the card. That cost goes up by one each time a card is bought that turn. If no one else wants the card the current player can take it for free or flip over the next card. This continues until the top row is full at which point the current player has the take the last card flipped, but they do get a pearl from the bank. The leftover cards are piled up on the board in the colored spaces. Those are the piles that can be taken as an action. Usually low value cards, but you get a lot more than one at a time. The lords all have requirements to recruit them. You have to have the right color, the right amount of colors, and the value. So some only require that you have say 8 value and at least one of those has to be blue. Others might require 8 value and only blue cards or maybe blue and exactly one other color. The really powerful lords generally require one card of each color and immediately give you 3 keys. Keys are used to control locations that give you bonus victory points. The downside of locations is they remove any special effects from the lords that control them. So if you have 3 lords with one key each, you gain a location, but lose the special abilities from all 3 lords. You can also get keys from fighting monsters, which randomly show up out of the deck, but I'm not sure what happens if you just use 3 keys to gain a location. I'd assume you are required to give up a lord to control it. Maybe one that doesn't have a key icon. Some of those don't have abilities, just high victory point values. That's pretty much it. You keep going around and gathering allies to recruit lords until one player has 7 lords. Then everyone else gets one final turn and you count up victory points. It's not terrible, but meh... The most fun I had with it was spinning my pearls around in my cup. Sounds kinda like the cicadas outside.

Pretty awesome day! Everything but Lost Legacy was a new game to me. None of them were real stinkers. I wouldn't buy Sushi Go personally, but it's okay as filler. Well I wouldn't buy Jamaica or Abyss either. I think they're a bit too random for me. While I didn't have the best time with Libertalia, it was interesting. Besides, I took some evil pleasure from cutting the other player's throat for loving with me the whole game. So if nothing else, they got the theme right! Shogun was pretty neat. I really love the cube tower. I would consider getting it just to play with that tower. Maybe try playing Kemet with the cube tower? Nah, wouldn't work the same. Castles is probably an automatic purchase next time I make a CSI order. Just don't play on a table cloth.

QnoisX fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 24, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Went ahead and picked up Disk Wars based on the recommendations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I know some people that have Disc Wars so I'm pretty close to picking it up myself. Plus, the store I work at actually got a store championship kit for it, so...

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Everyone buy Warhammer: Diskwars!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Diskwars clocks in at $10.42/lb, which is oddly enough the exact same weight/price ratio (down to the decimal) as Cards Against Humanity. This puts it in the middle of value between Arkham Horror at $8.14/lb and Talisman at $12.29/lb.

It still does not beat the kings, Monopoly at $7.09/lb, or Deck of Cards at $0.98/oz
Amazon is now even helpfully including the weight/price ratios in their games now, how forward thinking!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

You got the stats on Viticulture and Concordia? I want to know if they pass the Bex Test. I don't want to get burned like I did with Troyes (>$25 / lb WITH a Plano box inside).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Where can I get felt or whatever you are supposed to play Disk Wars on?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Literally any craft store. If you're in USA you have Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Jo-Ann Fabric as the major chains that will cut you felt by the yard.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Quick XCOM Q for those more experienced on it than our group (played our second game tonight). When you have a mission you don't complete that round and your soldiers stay deployed, I'm assuming you still audit them in the budget on the next round?

I'd assumed you would but someone asked and I wasn't actually sure as the rulebook doesn't say that you wouldn't because they're still on the table.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Quick XCOM Q for those more experienced on it than our group (played our second game tonight). When you have a mission you don't complete that round and your soldiers stay deployed, I'm assuming you still audit them in the budget on the next round?

I'd assumed you would but someone asked and I wasn't actually sure as the rulebook doesn't say that you wouldn't because they're still on the table.

Yes. Everything on the board at the beginning of the resolution phase counts towards the audit.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

al-azad posted:

Yes. Everything on the board at the beginning of the resolution phase counts towards the audit.
Alright cool, so we played it right then. :) Cheers dude!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Rutibex posted:

Diskwars clocks in at $10.42/lb, which is oddly enough the exact same weight/price ratio (down to the decimal) as Cards Against Humanity. This puts it in the middle of value between Arkham Horror at $8.14/lb and Talisman at $12.29/lb.

It still does not beat the kings, Monopoly at $7.09/lb, or Deck of Cards at $0.98/oz
Amazon is now even helpfully including the weight/price ratios in their games now, how forward thinking!

But a deck of cards is like $15.68 / lb. that's not a deal at all!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Megasabin posted:

Walmart. For a quick and easy portable solution, buy foam board and staple the felt to it. You can get it all at Walmart.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Frisk posted:

But a deck of cards is like $15.68 / lb. that's not a deal at all!

$3.50/lb, the best deal in gaming, per pound :colbert:
http://www.amazon.com/Rhode-Island-Novelty-GAPLCAR-12-Decks/dp/B005JE10S8

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 25, 2015

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Rutibex posted:

$3.83/lb, the best deal in gaming, per pound :colbert:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WGSX9VQ

Do you have a site or a google document tracking the best price-for-weight values? I need to be able to compare in-depth.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Perhaps you would enjoy a game of skill?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 25, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Walmart. For a quick and easy portable solution, buy foam board and staple the felt to it. You can get it all at Walmart.

Cool. What size do I need for disk wars?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stickman posted:

Perhaps you would enjoy a game of skill?

Your a sucker if you buy your gaming lead on Amazon. You get much better $/lb on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-lbs-Lead-ingots-for-bullet-casting-sinkers-/161712657926

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Megasabin posted:

Cool. What size do I need for disk wars?

Technically 3' by 3', but unless you're going for tournament play you can make it whatever fits your space. Rules are here.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 25, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Omg I'm playing Roll through the Ages Iron Age and it's taken 10-12 minutes between each of my turns. We were playing Terra Mystica earlier with an 80 second carryover turn timer and while that felt maybe a little too fast this is killing me right now.

Also, played Skull and Linko earlier, these are good games.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 25, 2015

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
^ I just played a 3h game of Alien Frontiers. I was sort of done with it after the first hour. Seems like a fine game I guess, but don't play with 5 people. It's games like these that make me appreciate Puerto Rico and other simultaneous action games. Though I guess if I was trying to be super social this game would be ideal.

To the people who mentioned March of the Ants, have you played Myrmes and could you comment on how they are better/worse than the other? Basically I don't know anything about ant games but I like ants and a game with ants seems cool.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

EvilChameleon posted:

I'm looking at my local online store for Viticulture to see what is out there, and they have copies of the Complete Collector's Edition. Now, the CCE comes with Vit + Tuscany Prima, which I understand is the same as regular but with metal coins, and a cool sleeve to hold the two boxes together. Vit by itself is 51bux, Tuscany is 60bux, the CCE is 150bux. (These are all Canuck bux). Are the metal coins and fancy box really worth the 40bux price difference between just buying the two boxes separately? Will some sperglord buy this off me if I end up hating it? What was the KS price on this poo poo? (It was a KS originally, right?)

I'm kind of interested in Viticulture, especially with Uwe giving it a 10 on the geek, but the über euro allies of Terra Mystica/Keyflower/Argent/Caverna seem to make it unlikely to hit the table that often for me.

Edit: awful.app keeps editing this post instead of making new posts so yeah

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 25, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Haven't played Roll Through the Ages but how does it take as much time to go through a turn as Through the Ages? Aren't you just rolling dice and moving pegs around?

Also how is Roll for the Galaxy? My crew is extremely hesitant as they played the original to death and with some of them developing cards and play testing throughout the years. We still play Race but the fear is that it's a subpar implementation of an already good game and it needs to do something really amazing to stand out.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

al-azad posted:

Also how is Roll for the Galaxy? My crew is extremely hesitant as they played the original to death and with some of them developing cards and play testing throughout the years. We still play Race but the fear is that it's a subpar implementation of an already good game and it needs to do something really amazing to stand out.

I don't think they'll be disappointed, but I don't imagine they'll think it's an amazing stand-out product, either. I think it's a pretty solid dice implementation of a really solid game and I don't think it does anything to unseat the original, but it feels better than most games that get different adaptations and you just leave feeling like "well, that was a waste of time." It's a tough call because it isn't subpar but it isn't AMAZING.

I'm looking at my local online store for Viticulture to see what is out there, and they have copies of the Complete Collector's Edition. Now, the CCE comes with Vit + Tuscany Prima, which I understand is the same as regular but with metal coins, and a cool sleeve to hold the two boxes together. Vit by itself is 51bux, Tuscany is 60bux, the CCE is 150bux. (These are all Canuck bux). Are the metal coins and fancy box really worth the 40bux price difference between just buying the two boxes separately? Will some sperglord buy this off me if I end up hating it? What was the KS price on this poo poo? (It was a KS originally, right?)

EvilChameleon fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 25, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

al-azad posted:

Haven't played Roll Through the Ages but how does it take as much time to go through a turn as Through the Ages? Aren't you just rolling dice and moving pegs around?

I think it's less elegant than Race (and keeping in mind that comparing it to Race + expansions is a little unfair) but it doesn't feel the same. Economically it's pretty different, actually.

If you want or like dice games, it's definitely one of the best. You're unlikely to think it's 'sub-par' Race because they're not that similar, but it's still possible you'll dislike it on its own merits.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

EvilChameleon posted:

To the people who mentioned March of the Ants, have you played Myrmes and could you comment on how they are better/worse than the other? Basically I don't know anything about ant games but I like ants and a game with ants seems cool.

Owner for local Board Game Cafe here described March of the Ants as like Eclipse, but shorter and fewer moving parts. I haven't thought of a more apt decription yet.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 25, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

EvilChameleon posted:

^ I just played a 3h game of Alien Frontiers. I was sort of done with it after the first hour. Seems like a fine game I guess, but don't play with 5 people. It's games like these that make me appreciate Puerto Rico and other simultaneous action games. Though I guess if I was trying to be super social this game would be ideal.

I played the poo poo out of Alien Frontiers on the ipad. The AIs can be super cutthroat and total assholes on max level. The inter-turn downtime makes it a great pass-and-play game. You can easily get back up to speed if you haven't played in a bit by looking over the board, and you can't decide how to play your turn until it's your turn and you roll anyway.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mister Sinewave posted:

quote:

[would you share Mage Knight rules reference]
I would be happy to, once it's completed. Right now it's handwritten on a notepad and it's only for one of the campaigns in Lost Legion. It's a work in progress as I sit down to play a turn or two here and there with free time.

If you don't mind that it's specifically for that and not a brilliantly-laid-out-encyclopedic reference like what you would get from http://www.orderofgamers.com/ (if they had one), then no problem!

Here we go. You can download it here. I'll update this URL if I make changes (I'm sure I'll find changes needed)

2 pages + 1 blank page I cannot quite ditch because openoffice. Can be printed 2-sided for a one pager. It's laid out in logical top-down left-to-right order. It's written for me and solo playing Volkare's Return. It doesn't replace the rulebooks completely but should do the job.

Of course I don't need it anymore now because I'm dialed completely back in to the game again by now, but god I would love to have been handed this document by future me when I sat down with MK + Lost Legion after a very long time of not playing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

EvilChameleon posted:

I don't think they'll be disappointed, but I don't imagine they'll think it's an amazing stand-out product, either. I think it's a pretty solid dice implementation of a really solid game and I don't think it does anything to unseat the original, but it feels better than most games that get different adaptations and you just leave feeling like "well, that was a waste of time." It's a tough call because it isn't subpar but it isn't AMAZING.

Prima is nice but not necessary. I bought it all from Stonemeir post kickstarter. Paying $60 for Viticulture and $70 for Tuscany, plus a bit more, not sure how much, for the coins, though I can buy them right now for $22. And those are all American prices. So if it was me, I would have jumped at the chance to only pay $150 Canadian to get the whole kit. $111 Canadian is a great price for the two games, and you can get the coins for $29 on Amazon.ca. At which point you're at $140 for everything but the sleeve.

So if you're not sure about the game it's probably not worth it, but I love it and I wish I had the collector's edition.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EvilChameleon posted:

The original KS price was $99+p&p. I don't know what that is in maple syrup but I'm sure you do. There's probably some markup as the CCE was limited to 3700 copies, at least 2875 of which were sold to backers.

There is also one further difference between buying Viticulture and Tuscany Prima and buying the CCE, which is the Euphoria mini-expansion. One of the Tuscany modules is the Structures deck, which lets you add two structures granting benefits to your vineyard. The Euphoria mini-expansion adds structures to the deck that impose major drawbacks, but make up for it by giving you a VP every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Any big home improvement store. I got this nice green surface I never really cut down to size on the longer axis for about 5 bucks.

Though really, a plain white tablecloth will suffice, it's just that lacquered wood and similar surfaces make the discs slip when flipping in a really lovely way.