Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

what should we call our lovely tablet/laptop replacement that needs a keyboard and uses a terrible hybrid OS? idk how about object? nah, surface? nailed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what should we call our lovely tablet/laptop replacement that needs a keyboard and uses a terrible hybrid OS? idk how about object? nah, surface? nailed it

introducing microsoft surface

no the other one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

filing for trademarks is super annoying, much easier to re-use one you've already got

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol @ the hp stream (of piss)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what kind of keyboard should we give it? since people will mostly be using it on a desk, how about some sort of sleek bluetooth keyboard with lots of travel?

nah lets integrate it into the loving cover and give it the worst typing experience this side of the new macbook

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-unequivocally-better-than-os-x-on-apples-new-macbook/

hard-hitting reporting there, zdnet

quote:

according to one owner,

Alex King, a computer science student studying at Tufts University

lmao

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

quote:

It's fast. It's smooth. It renders at 60FPS unless you have a lot going on,
I'm glad this is popping up even when it doesn't matter since it never was a problem for OSes to keep a 60 FPS framerate

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i wonder how much MS paid (in surfaces pro) said dipshit cs student and zdnet for this ad

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
bless

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

http://www.clickhole.com/article/house-windows-95-maze-screensaver-sale-1766?utm_campaign=default&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_source=twitter

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

basically BREAKING: Some kid installed W10 on their Macbook

never change techpress

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hmm it seems wandd0ws x and the new pointless form factor laptop from apple are getting a lot of hits, better vomit and publish

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
apparently you don't learn the definitions of the words unequivocally or better at Tufts.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

isn't sticky notes on websites a failed dot com from 1999

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

isn't microsoft a failed dot com from 1999

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

why do i have to go to the Store to update windows 8 to windows 8.1. why do i have to go to windows update to update windows 8 before i can update windows 8 to windows 8.1. why did my fucktard relatives buy an acer windows tablet

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

basically BREAKING: Some kid installed W10 on their Macbook

never change techpress

the dude didn't even run down the battery completely and just used the left over percentage to predict how long the battery life on windows will be

like if you had an iPhone 6+ that went from 100% to 99% with 4 hours of light use and you predict it will last 400 hours for each charge

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BBJoey posted:

why do i have to go to the Store to update windows 8 to windows 8.1. why do i have to go to windows update to update windows 8 before i can update windows 8 to windows 8.1. why did my fucktard relatives buy an acer windows tablet

it was originally going to be sold separately so it is a different sku/license key than windows 8

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

why is upgrading windows so hard that you need to help your relatives. you update os x through the App Store too but it's literally "click download, now launch the app, go get a coffee, Enjoy Helvetica."

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Luigi Thirty posted:

it was originally going to be sold separately so it is a different sku/license key than windows 8
start button dlc

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

don't forget to install windows 8.1 update 1 through windows update! :eng101:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

minivanmegafun posted:

why is upgrading windows so hard that you need to help your relatives. you update os x through the App Store too but it's literally "click download, now launch the app, go get a coffee, Enjoy Helvetica."

well no it's not that easy. sometimes it tells you your laptop needs to be plugged in first. or you need to shut down itunes.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
one of my favorite things about windows vista and 7 service packs was when the update would pause for seemingly no reason, and there would be a set of things to click on to continue with installation hiding under the windows update window

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

one of my favorite things about windows vista and 7 service packs was when the update would pause for seemingly no reason, and there would be a set of things to click on to continue with installation hiding under the windows update window

see also: video driver installers that uninstall the old drivers first causing the screen to go blank and then pop up some notification box on the blank screen that you needed to click on to continue

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

my first foray into IRC was with gooey, a thing that generated irc chatrooms for websites you were on

we organized pokemon tcg tournaments on pojo.com that way

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

the relatives in question are non-technical women (and children)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh wow i completely forgot

in like '99 or '00 id did a school project on literally "tagging websites" so like youd have a plugin in your browser that would inject links into the html. i handwaved the spam/ad protection. goddamn what a piece of poo poo.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

BBJoey posted:

the relatives in question are non-technical women (and children)
so is my mom and that was all the instruction she needed, also some assurance that "yes, this will work fine"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i installed windows 8.1 from a usb 3.0 stick onto an ssd and it took like, two minutes. that was really neat imo

metro windows update didn't find any updates, which i thought was weird since it should definitely have found some hardware drivers, but apparently it just sucks because non-metro has about 100 updates. lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the EXTREME GRAPHICS POWER required to run MICROSOFT OFFICE

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

remember when ms tried to show how much fun the surface was by showing how it could run MICROSOFT OFFICE!!!! ?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

carry on then posted:

remember when ms tried to show how much fun the surface was by showing how it could run MICROSOFT OFFICE!!!! ?

remember when they tried to sell office365 by saying "yeah you work during your kid's soccer game anyway"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

carry on then posted:

running office and ~halo~ at the same time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKM2BvlmShI

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

computer parts posted:

remember when they tried to sell office365 by saying "yeah you work during your kid's soccer game anyway"

does anyone have that info graphic?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
remember how they tout the "kickstand" as some kind of amazing differentiator and something to be envied vs. a regular laptop

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stymie posted:

remember how they tout the "kickstand" as some kind of amazing differentiator and something to be envied vs. a regular laptop

I remember. I also remember the 90s.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

KidVanguard posted:

yeah I forgot to save those, someone should post them again. they're just *so* tonedeaf. reminds me of that "here's how teens will share coke commercials" ms advertising video

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KidVanguard posted:

I think i've quoted them multiple times but here

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

• Locked thread