Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Rather Dashing posted:

Thanks for this. Does anyone have any idea why my m_pitch is so much more sensitive than my m_yaw in GZDoom? This isn't an issue I remember having when I last played Doom a year or so ago.
Doom's skinny aspect ratio. Everything is stretched by about 20%, hence why all the sprites look short and fat in editors but then look fine in-game. So looking up and down...well, goes upper and downier.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He also took the irony out of the post
He does this a lot.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I have been wondering, what is it that causes that strange distortion if you ever looked up and down in vanilla Doom? It's hard to describe, but basically it doesn't look right. Almost as if it was zooming in, or if you were drunk and had vertigo. If I recall right, Duke Nukem 3D had the same thing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I have been wondering, what is it that causes that strange distortion if you ever looked up and down in vanilla Doom? It's hard to describe, but basically it doesn't look right. Almost as if it was zooming in, or if you were drunk and had vertigo. If I recall right, Duke Nukem 3D had the same thing.

Vertical lines have to stay perfectly aligned to the Y axis, which causes a weird skewing effect.

Also vanilla doom never had vertical aiming :eng101:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He also took the irony out of the post by not having any context added, as well. The quote was a complaint on everyone saying "Doom 4 shouldn't have this and that".

the vast majority of _txt twitter accounts and whatever frequently don't understand what is and isn't a joke and will post basically everything they find in some weird effort to go HAHA LOOK HOW hosed UP AND STUPID THIS PERSON IS

except maybe goons.txt and/or reddit.txt because a lot of the time those quotes are most likely 100% serious

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Why would hitboxes change because of a higher resolution? The rendering code would be unrelated to the gamelogic code, surely.

:allears: Ah, to be young and naive again...

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's sometimes referred to as Y-shearing.

Convex posted:

Also vanilla doom never had vertical aiming :eng101:

No, but vanilla Heretic, vanilla Hexen, and vanilla Strife did!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Doom's skinny aspect ratio. Everything is stretched by about 20%, hence why all the sprites look short and fat in editors but then look fine in-game. So looking up and down...well, goes upper and downier.

Aha - come to think of it, this is probably the first time I've played it since switching up to 1080p. That explains it.

Blzut3
Jun 14, 2014

Shadow Hog posted:

Why would hitboxes change because of a higher resolution? The rendering code would be unrelated to the gamelogic code, surely.
The Wolfenstein 3D engine uses information from the rendition step to do physics calculations all the time (you can only pick up items that the renderer has drawn for example). The "hitbox" is Wolf3D literally a check to see if the center of the sprite was drawn in between two columns viewwidth/10 away from the center. Roughly equivalent (but not due to rounding) to an 18 degree cone.

When you assume only one player you can make shortcuts like these to make the game run faster. ;)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

No, but vanilla Heretic, vanilla Hexen, and vanilla Strife did!

I was just being a pedantic dick, sorry :)

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

Cant believe no one said "...and don't call me Shirley"

E; for content, man that Doom 64 Ex works like a charm and drat it's nice :madmax:

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 22, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Blzut3 posted:

The Wolfenstein 3D engine uses information from the rendition step to do physics calculations all the time (you can only pick up items that the renderer has drawn for example). The "hitbox" is Wolf3D literally a check to see if the center of the sprite was drawn in between two columns viewwidth/10 away from the center. Roughly equivalent (but not due to rounding) to an 18 degree cone.

When you assume only one player you can make shortcuts like these to make the game run faster. ;)
Huh. Learned something today, I guess.

So I assume, then, that the Blake source port didn't adjust that value to account for larger resolutions?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
System shock 2 is 90cts on the humble store

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Blzut3 posted:

(you can only pick up items that the renderer has drawn for example).

Oh! I wondered why you couldn't pick things up if you reversed over them.

I think people underestimate how hacky a lot of early FPS's are: the best one I found was fogging/dimming not working on the ROTT ports at higher resolutions, because the maths all worked on the absolute height in pixels of the sprite/column.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
People take for granted that simple video game mechanics poo poo was not at all simple in the 80s and 90s.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Prenton posted:

Oh! I wondered why you couldn't pick things up if you reversed over them.

I think people underestimate how hacky a lot of early FPS's are: the best one I found was fogging/dimming not working on the ROTT ports at higher resolutions, because the maths all worked on the absolute height in pixels of the sprite/column.

A lot of things in old games were done in hacky methods to get things done quickly, or to get the code to fit in a certain amount of space. Pokemon first gen is a fascinating study of this.

Blzut3
Jun 14, 2014

Prenton posted:

That in itself isn't a problem. The only issue here is that they didn't adjust the algorithm to account for the different scale (similar to what's going on with the Blake Stone port's hitboxes I guess). ECWolf calculates the shading the same way (can't remember if ZDoom derives the Z distance from the height or not, but the formula for the shading is ultimately the same between ECWolf and ZDoom).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There are similar issues in Doom, too. The close range light effect depends on resolution, so if you hug a wall and then change the view window's size the wall's brightness will change.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 23, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Segmentation Fault posted:

A lot of things in old games were done in hacky methods to get things done quickly, or to get the code to fit in a certain amount of space. Pokemon first gen is a fascinating study of this.

Source on the pokemon stuff?

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

unpacked robinhood posted:

System shock 2 is 90cts on the humble store

Thank you

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

UIApplication posted:

Source on the pokemon stuff?

I think he means glitched stuff like MissingNo. which happened due to devs cutting corners to save memory.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nintendo is notorious for never sanity checking anything, which is why so many of their games have crazy bugs where the game keeps going after being made to read past the end of an array or otherwise work with memory it isn't supposed to be working with.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

dis astranagant posted:

Nintendo is notorious for never sanity checking anything, which is why so many of their games have crazy bugs where the game keeps going after being made to read past the end of an array or otherwise work with memory it isn't supposed to be working with.

I don't know about that. Pokemon couldn't do sanity checking like that because they really just didn't have the resources. Pokemon first gen only barely fit on that cart as I understand

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Glagha posted:

I don't know about that. Pokemon couldn't do sanity checking like that because they really just didn't have the resources. Pokemon first gen only barely fit on that cart as I understand

Because Nintendo wanted to cheap out on storage, not because of a hard limit. If Nintendo had been willing to spend an extra 25 cents per cart or whatever, they'd have plenty of room.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
The simplicity and low-level nature of programming early consoles is what causes that, not being cheap. Graphics, tilemaps are all just memory pointers. No reason to waste CPU cycles on bounds checking just so you can crash, when the user is just gonna reset the game when it breaks the gently caress out anyway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spongeh posted:

The simplicity and low-level nature of programming early consoles is what causes that, not being cheap. Graphics, tilemaps are all just memory pointers. No reason to waste CPU cycles on bounds checking just so you can crash, when the user is just gonna reset the game when it breaks the gently caress out anyway.

No, the low level nature of the programming isn't what's involved with Pokemon Red/Blue/Green. The later Gold/Silver games ran on the same hardware but were given 16 megabit ROM for nowhere near double the data needed to be stored, and as such had a lot more sanity checking fit in. The Red/Blue/Green games meanwhile were jammed into 8 megabit ROM with bytes to spare.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
What GZDoom command controls or disables the screen glow that pulses for a second when you pick up items? I don't want to modify any other light options right now, I just want to stop the screen blinking all the drat time. I didn't see an option in the menu.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Copper Vein posted:

What GZDoom command controls or disables the screen glow that pulses for a second when you pick up items? I don't want to modify any other light options right now, I just want to stop the screen blinking all the drat time. I didn't see an option in the menu.

It's pickupcolor in MAPINFO/GameInfo. You'll have to create a mod to change that.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I think there's a strong case to be made for Sunder.wad being actual art.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Just finished Seven Portals hub in Hexen and man it's so much better than Heretic. Heretic really felt like boring Doom clone where as Hexen feels so much like a game of its own. Also that green spell is soooo OP :v:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Maybe not exactly what was meant but interesting regardless:

https://tcrf.net/Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_and_Blue

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Decided to pick up Going Down again and realized why I stopped playing it. Map13 is god drat hell. I can't get through it even on HNTR :sigh:

And of course shortly after posting that I beat it without issue. I guess figuring out how to get the mega armor helps :ms:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 24, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

And of course shortly after posting that I beat it without issue. I guess figuring out how to get the mega armor helps :ms:

The secret areas in Going Down make a shitload of difference, simply because how compact the maps are. A single big boost like a suit of blue armor can completely change your chances of survival.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

maev posted:

I think there's a strong case to be made for Sunder.wad being actual art.
Try satanic sunder. It is very good. Satanic is a weapon mod that makes the game harder.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

ugh.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Dominic White posted:

The secret areas in Going Down make a shitload of difference, simply because how compact the maps are. A single big boost like a suit of blue armor can completely change your chances of survival.

The worst maps are those which hide the super shotgun in some retarded secret location then you find it 30 mins later after pump-actioning barons and you think :negative:

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
How can I get the Mac/3DO assets for ECWolf?

I'm on Linux if this changes anything.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

DID YOU KNOW: John Carmack experimented with having voxel-based enemies in Doom?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Try satanic sunder. It is very good. Satanic is a weapon mod that makes the game harder.

How about just play sunder on its own because it's an incredible set of levels

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
A public beta of Powerslave EX has been released.

https://powerslaveex.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/powerslave-ex-public-beta-released/

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Unsurprisingly, it's really good.

I'm really blowing through it, though. Partially because beating the Saturn version means I know the general direction of where I'm going, partially because mouselook makes encounters a lot simpler.

I swear the pistol's ammo pool drains faster than it can regenerate from ammo drops, though. You'd think that'd be a problem the machine gun has, but surprisingly not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This is really cool, I never got the chance to play the full game back in the day but I remember the demo being pretty entertaining.