Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Aw, what a poor baby.

Well, she's looked like poo poo for a while now. I'm surprised they don't just lick the hell out of it and make it all look inflamed, but I guess cat medical science has come a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
We've had to switch Mocha to wet food because of a bad tooth and General Older Kitty Kidney Fun. How do you wet food guys handle it if you're going to be gone for a night?

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

betaraywil posted:

Hi cat thread, this is Faith:

About a year ago, Faith got really itchy, and chewed off a bunch of her fur. We took her to the vet, who prescribed some chicken flavored Benadryl, and things were great for like a week. Then she was still biting everything off again.

We did a long remove-possible-food-allergens thing (no dry food with peas > no dry food with corn or peas > no dry food > no wet food with chicken > just whole new protein sources) until we had her eating venison she is a fancy cat. We also got rid of air fresheners and switched dish soaps and all that. She didn't stop biting, but everyone seems to agree that it takes about 90 days without a food allergen before you stop seeing symptoms. We're coming up on that, and I'm kind of out of ideas.

The other major complication is that I'm going to be out of town for ~2 days for nonnegotiable reasons (like, dying relative). I started giving her a little dry food (no chicken or turkey, which was tough) just so she'd be expecting it from the auto feeder, but now a day later she's got one eyelid all red and semi-swollen (like it's closed half the time). I don't *know* that it's the dry food, because she's just scratched her eyelid too hard and gotten it swollen that way in the past.

Anyone have any tips on getting to the bottom of this allergy? Is she gonna like, go into anaphylactic shock if I don't bring her in tomorrow and get her an antihistamine for the weekend?

My cat gets minor skin irritations from seasonal allergies, a 5mg zertec once every 2-3 days clears perfectly. $8 for 100 pills on amazon, and it's tiny and easy to hide in wet food. Totally cat safe: http://www.petmd.com/blogs/dailyvet/2010/february/zyrtec_for_cats-5403

potee fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 22, 2015

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
Gem got her sutures removed (53!) and the incision looks pretty much healed up. Depending on how she continues to do the vet will assess her around or after Christmas about her spay. Her cone has been off for a week now with no biting or chewing and some of her fur is growing back in. She even went back into heat which seems to have made transitioning her in with my fixed male cat easier, they cuddle and what not together now though he does get annoyed sometimes at being sexually harassed constantly and will play a bit roughly when he is high on cat nip. At least he can jump up onto things to get away, she can't and I'm not sure she will ever be able to jump/hop more than a foot or so.

I do have another question for you cat people though, since she can't flex her feet, we'll have to trim her claws for her for the rest of her life, any recommendations on good ones to pick up from PetSmart or online? Or is this something I should just pay a groomer to do every couple of weeks/months?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

We've had to switch Mocha to wet food because of a bad tooth and General Older Kitty Kidney Fun. How do you wet food guys handle it if you're going to be gone for a night?

If your cat is one who will eat whatever food, however much, is placed in front of them, do a double feeding.

If they aren't depends on how long you're gone. If you'll be back at, say, 11am (so missing breakfast by 3-6 hours) then it's fine to wait until then. If it is something that you'll be gone until that night (so 24 hours between feedings), then it would be worthwhile to have someone come by and set food out.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

potee posted:

My cat gets minor skin irritations from seasonal allergies, a 5mg zertec once every 2-3 days clears perfectly. $8 for 100 pills on amazon, and it's tiny and easy to hide in wet food. Totally cat safe: http://www.petmd.com/blogs/dailyvet/2010/february/zyrtec_for_cats-5403

Oh drat, okay. I always thought cats had kidneys that sucked too much for daily (or, rather, chronically administered) meds, but there's a vet saying saying it. That's awesome, that 5 mg every few days is small enough for a cat, so awesome, in fact, that I did not believe such a thing was possible.

Thanks everybody! Also thanks for not even dignifying my "what if the cat goes into anaphylaxis because of corn?" thing. That really helped me dial it back a little bit.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Hi folks, I just had a couple general/small questions about our cat.

The first one: this cat has had a number of previous owners, the first of whom declawed her front claws (and then abandoned her, apparently, to die). My question is this: it seems like many cat toys are based on the cat's ability to snare things with their front claws, which ours can't really do. She likes playing with things like string and those feather poles, and is fairly adept at grabbing with her mouth or front paws, but I wonder if any of you know of toys specifically designed for declawed cats.

Second: after reading this thread and other articles, we are seriously considering adding another cat to the mix. Ours is about 4 years old, so a kitten seems like the best option from what I've read. We will probably have to wait until we move, as we may or may not be violating lease with just the one, and don't want to take on the additional risk. Still, this thread and the articles recommend separating the cats: we live in an apartment, so would you propose setting aside a bedroom or something for the new cat?

Following up on question one, would there be an issue if our current cat is declawed but the new kitten is not?

Thanks!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
It should be fine, if your experience is anything like mine. My Ozma is declawed and my cat Pizza is not and they get along. He has pretty good cat manners, tho, and doesn't use his claws for anything but scratching posts and traction. Since you're getting a kitten, you'll be able to teach it early how to play gentle (and so will your cat)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Sorry to double post, but an update on Pizza:

The vet found no evidence of parasites or problems in his bloodwork. The x-ray showed no obvious signs on a blockage, though they thought there was a little food in his stomach, which is suspicious considering it'd been almost a day since he'd been able to keep anything down. They did find signs of a bladder infection just starting to form, and thought maybe that could be the culprit, so they gave him an antibiotic shot and some anti-nausea meds and handed him off to me again. They said if he kept throwing up from here, he'd need an ultrasound since that could show something the x-ray missed. I also got a new bag of food, just in case.

Only two places in town do ultrasounds and my vet isn't one of them. Both are no longer available after 5pm today until Tuesday morning.

I fed Pizza from the new bag immediately upon returning home and he seems totally fine. No throwing up (which was almost immediate before). However, I'm afraid that anti-nausea medication might be making him seem better than he is? Would that mask the effect of a blockage? If it were your cat, would you just go ahead and take him in for an ultrasound even though he seems fine, knowing that if he turned not fine he'd either be in for a long wait for ultrasound or an exploratory surgery? Or would you wait since he seems to be doing great?

E: I think I'm going to wait. I forget that even tho the e vet in town is without an ultrasound machine, they can do the thing where they put dye in the food and track it that way. So in an emergency that'll do I think...

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 22, 2015

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

For many gastrointestinal obstructions, the anti-nausea meds commonly don't stop the vomiting as the problem is a, "you shall not pass" instead of a, "my neurons are doing funny things."

However, cats are IBD fiends, so the plan for next step as ultrasound is a great one.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Whoever recommended fussie cat: thank you so much. I am not sure how healthy it is but it looks like there's no corn in it and meat is the main ingredient, it looks like cans of tuna with a bit of gelatin and other stuff. ALL of the cats loving LOVE it, even the 'dry food king' cat. In fact I open 2 cans of it and give them 2/3rds of a can each, and there's none left a few minutes after I feed them. The wellness food never went down so well. It looks like my search for wet food is over. I just wish it came in bigger cans or something.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Anyone know anything about congenital pulmonary defects in cats? We took our cat Luke (8 years old, standard domestic shorthair) into the vet for a leaky eye and reduced appetite, and the vet noticed he was breathing heavily and did X-rays, with a tentative diagnosis of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. I've had a terrible time finding any information about this or what it might mean online, and the vet didn't say anything about future directions besides that we should do what we can to keep him eating, since he also came into the vet dehydrated. At this point, we're mostly concerned about a long-term prognosis and how we can improve Luke's quality of life. We plan to consult with the vet again after the long weekend, but it'd be good to know more even before then.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I made a video to try to to help some kittens near San Francisco find forever homes.

I can't tell if I'm dumb or clever.

demota fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 23, 2015

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Spent the last day trying to coax Cat out from under the sofa. We had a wee earthquake on Thursday night and since then she's decided that she doesn't trust the room to stay stable. At the moment she's only coming out to eat, and even then she's barely stopping to eat before running back to safety.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've got a cat problem. 2 years ago I moved in with my girlfriend. I've got 2 cats and she has 1. My cats are beautiful angels but hers came from a home where the other cats bullied her. My cats also started bullying her, so we've been keeping them separated.

Her cat has been peeing on our hardwood floor. We've tried litter attractant and a new litter box, but she still won't use it. She also poops on the floor next to it. While this is gross, I'm not as concerned about it since her poops are like dry pebbles. She also anxiety-vomits fairly regularly. It's a small amount of white foam. No food ever.

We've taken her to the vet (she had a UTI when my girlfriend first got her), but at the moment is perfectly healthy. What can we do to get her to stop peeing on the floor?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How many litterboxes are there? She may feel unsafe using the litterboxes. Provide 1 for each cat plus an extra in a few secluded locations, show them to her first so she knows they're there.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

They're completely separated. My cats share a box and her cat has her own. We've experimented with different shapes (low walls, high walls, enclosed) but she doesn't seem to like any of them. The room she's in is one giant studio and she's well aware of its location.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
She deposits right in the middle of the floor? It's occurred to me that maybe she's claustrophobic, so maybe she'd prefer to go in a non-secluded place? Have you tried putting the box in the middle of the floor where she "normally" carries out her business, as an experiment?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

She poops on the floor right in front of the box, and pees along the wall right near it. I highly doubt claustrophobia is an issue given how big and open the room is plus the fact she sleeps in one of those felt cat pods.

If anything she might want a smaller, secluded area. I guess. If that's a thing. We do know she won't use a box with a cover on it.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
We had some complications after the spaying, alas. Tiger was crazily jumping after some moths, and managed to split her stitches. Nothing serious, just a bit of pink flesh, and she seemed none the bothered. We called the vet, but they didn't seem very concerned, and told us to cut away any stitching that didn't dissolve on it's own.

Of course, we treated the wound, and I ended up cutting away some stitching while she was relaxing and showing her belly. By now, it's just a tiny pinprick of a wound, and she's still as active as ever (and eating, peeing, and farting like a champ :stare:) :)

She's developed the habit of getting on my lap, making biscuits, farting, and purring. She also likes to bat at my legs when she's active. No claws or anything, just runs past me, bats at my legs, and runs on. Bonus points if she startles me :P

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Just piping in to say that the Comfort Zone Feliway spray is amazying. When Porch kitty got back from his expensive surgery, our normally docile and shy cat kept attacking him and trying to rip out his throat. After 2 days of spraying down every room with it everything is back to normal. Apparently pheremones are a real thing.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Just piping in to say that the Comfort Zone Feliway spray is amazying. When Porch kitty got back from his expensive surgery, our normally docile and shy cat kept attacking him and trying to rip out his throat. After 2 days of spraying down every room with it everything is back to normal. Apparently pheremones are a real thing.

I'll second this. I used a car air freshener they make that plugs into the cigarette lighter when I had to move from FL to MI last year, and working in vet's offices we kept a bottle handy in every exam room for feline patients.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've got a male cat about 5 years old with some type of urinary issue, but he's definitely not blocked. I was all geared up to bite the bullet, open my wallet, and go to the E-vet until I realized that he was producing urine at each of his frequent trips to the litterbox.

Yesterday he was peeing normally, although he did pee outside of the box earlier this week. At the time I thought it was because the litter box wasn't up to his standards. This afternoon and evening he's been making very frequent trips to the litterbox, about every 15 min at times and producing a squirt of urine each time.

He can be handled, and I've palpated his abdomen and didn't feel a full bladder. He didn't mind me pushing and prodding in there either, so I think it can't be hurting him too much. As long as he is able to keep producing non-bloody urine, eating and drinking normally, can I responsibly wait until normal vets are open to seek medical attention? I'm hoping I can find a vet open tomorrow on Memorial day, but it might be until Tuesday. Right now he's happily napping after eating dinner and then letting me prod and massage his abdomen looking for a full bladder.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
We are going to be moving from Chicago to Philadelphia soon so I hope it helps for that too, But the vet also gave us Acepromazine to tranqualize porch kitty because he's not allowed to have any stress since we basically had his penis cut off and had a new hole made so he can pee.

We have to start off with 1/4 tab and test it out for a few days to see how much it works before we actually move so we know how much to give him.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got a male cat about 5 years old with some type of urinary issue, but he's definitely not blocked. I was all geared up to bite the bullet, open my wallet, and go to the E-vet until I realized that he was producing urine at each of his frequent trips to the litterbox.

Yesterday he was peeing normally, although he did pee outside of the box earlier this week. At the time I thought it was because the litter box wasn't up to his standards. This afternoon and evening he's been making very frequent trips to the litterbox, about every 15 min at times and producing a squirt of urine each time.

He can be handled, and I've palpated his abdomen and didn't feel a full bladder. He didn't mind me pushing and prodding in there either, so I think it can't be hurting him too much. As long as he is able to keep producing non-bloody urine, eating and drinking normally, can I responsibly wait until normal vets are open to seek medical attention? I'm hoping I can find a vet open tomorrow on Memorial day, but it might be until Tuesday. Right now he's happily napping after eating dinner and then letting me prod and massage his abdomen looking for a full bladder.

Urinary problems can kill a cat in a day from the infection spreading, My cat had to have a problem the day before I had to fly out for my mothers funeral. If you have the money take him to an emergency vet. Ours tried catheters 2 time while we were in a different city then the surgeon shamed us for not going for the surgery for a cat as old as ours when it wasn't even offered as an option when we brought him in. Jack asses.

The longer you wait the more it will cost, Porchy cost about $6,000 to fix.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

He's going to the box every 15 minutes because he's in discomfort. My cat blocked on a Sunday night too and was producing just a few drops of pee every time he tried. If he clogs up the rest of the way he could be dead in a matter of hours- you could be waking up to a dead kitty tomorrow morning if you don't get his urine flowing freely.

I have to recommend the e-vet for a young adult male cat straining to pee. Every time.

Edit: beaten. It's not infection that will kill though, it's a ruptured bladder.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Anyone know anything about congenital pulmonary defects in cats? We took our cat Luke (8 years old, standard domestic shorthair) into the vet for a leaky eye and reduced appetite, and the vet noticed he was breathing heavily and did X-rays, with a tentative diagnosis of bronchopulmonary dysplasia. I've had a terrible time finding any information about this or what it might mean online, and the vet didn't say anything about future directions besides that we should do what we can to keep him eating, since he also came into the vet dehydrated. At this point, we're mostly concerned about a long-term prognosis and how we can improve Luke's quality of life. We plan to consult with the vet again after the long weekend, but it'd be good to know more even before then.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot out there on BPD in cats; and there's no specific treatment, either. The trouble comes when bubbles form in lung (called pulmonary bulla) that can rupture and lead to air escaping the lungs and being in the chest, but outside the lungs (pneumothorax); also from just having a wonky respiratory system (as your cat probably has). Some papers talk about that if problems arise then surgery is required to remove the problem lung lobe with the ruptured bulla.

Thing is, you can't predict if or when a bulla will rupture. Not eating shouldn't necessarily be a sign of it, especially if there was no major pneumothorax identified on rads. There then might be something else entirely going on; once that's dealt with, it's something to know that BPD is present.

IF you notice sudden respiratory problems, then it could be the BPD flaring/a pneumo forming and thus an ER visit with rads is in order.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

CompactFanny posted:

He's going to the box every 15 minutes because he's in discomfort. My cat blocked on a Sunday night too and was producing just a few drops of pee every time he tried. If he clogs up the rest of the way he could be dead in a matter of hours- you could be waking up to a dead kitty tomorrow morning if you don't get his urine flowing freely.

I have to recommend the e-vet for a young adult male cat straining to pee. Every time.

Edit: beaten. It's not infection that will kill though, it's a ruptured bladder.

I'm at the emergency vet, turns out there's no crystals or blockage, it's just a UTI and he's peeing a tiny bit at a time because it burns when he pees. Right now we're getting the world's most expensive pain medication and antibiotics. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Yes better safe than sorry, I'm guessing they gave you clavamox to medicate him?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Yes better safe than sorry, I'm guessing they gave you clavamox to medicate him?

Yup, and recommended that we feed fish-based wet food less often. Now to pore over ingredient lists to make sure everything is low in phosphorous and other minerals that aggravate urinary tract issues.

Edit: Man the vet options are slim during a holiday weekend. The final damage: $320 for diagnosis, antibiotics, pain meds, and a recommendation to switch from Solid Gold Indigo Moon to Iams.:negative:

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 25, 2015

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Crossposting from the rat thread because it's about cats and rats:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320057&pagenumber=127&perpage=40#post445748868

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Hi!

My girlfriend has 2 adults rats (females, sisters).

Considering:
To have a cat.

Thinking:
About having an adult male house cat (about 2 years old). We think it should be less inclined to hunt than a female and should be less playfull than a kitten.

Setup:
The cage will be in a closed room when we're leaving the apartment and in plain sight (living room) when we're at home, the door shut with extra binder clips. When we will let the rats out on the couch, it will be on tight supervision.

Questionning:
How can we introduce the cat with the rats?

Extra information:
We bought the baby rats from a breeder who owned many dogs/cats in her house. So, the mother was in contact with cats (I dunno if it changes something).

Thanks alot! :)

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Both of my cats are violent mousers and I have been able to keep rats and gerbils with no deaths.

I would suggest 2 cats it helps them keep their minds on each other rather than the tiny furry things that they want to eat. Just be sure to keep the cage where they can't get to it when no one is home. And supervise everyone when you have the ratties out.

As far as introducing, I never really did it my cats seem to know these small little treats are under my protection and never bother them aside from staring at them once in a while

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

crosspost to the dog thread as well:

I have a slightly picky eater (loving understatement) of a dog who won't eat her food during a feeding time unless its been moistened.
My friend took her for a few days while i was out of town and reported she will eat all of it completely dry at her own drat slow pace if free fed.

The cats are fed in their carriers and the dog can't/isn't interested in getting it.
However, I have two cats who are deeply interested in her kibble, making it hard to tell who ate what if i were to leave it out for a free feed.

Both pets are getting merrick's bistro stuff basically.

How do I feed all three pets without a bunch of cross eating/time investment?

Options i've thought about are as follows:

Continue the sequestered twice daily dog feeding
Pros: She eats most of her food in a window. Poops should also follow this schedule (if lucky)
Cons: I have to set aside time specifically for the dog to eat. I have to buy canned food as well.

Leave the dog with kibble in her crate while i'm at work
Pros: Once crate is closed, cats can't get her food.
Cons: Possible poops in crate.

Just leave it out and everybody free feeds
Pros: Easy
Cons: Cats like her food and the cats have the ability to make the dog gently caress off (one hisses and the dog will give her large berth) making food stealing easy. Possible random poops.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I have sugar gliders. My cats were initially curious but are more birders so only get really excited when they jump across the living room from a high shelf or something. They still watch any time they come out for glider playtime, but they have made no aggressive moves. They're also afraid of everything, so they go in to sniff, the thing moves and scares them.

Then I moved in with my girlfriend and her two cats are definitely mousers, and they want to hunt these things endlessly.

It only took a few sessions to train them to not hurt the gliders, though. There were a few swipes and pounces followed by being scruffed and taken to another room where they didn't get to play anymore, but now they just sit there and watch. The gliders lost their fear, too, and now jump on the cats with no fucks given.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Re: picky eater I can confirm that pets eating other pets food can have very rancid consequences. When my cat got into his food once there were horror-shits of extreme fragrance shortly afterwards, and when my dog ate an entire bowl of cat food I accidentally left in his reach once I got home to find he'd liquid-shat his britches, managing to cover his crate, bedding, floor and a small section of the wall.

Unfortunately I don't have any constructive advice because I have the opposite situation :( dog eats from a kong, cats are free-fed on a shelf, everyone wins.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

HelloSailorSign posted:

Unfortunately there isn't a lot out there on BPD in cats; and there's no specific treatment, either. The trouble comes when bubbles form in lung (called pulmonary bulla) that can rupture and lead to air escaping the lungs and being in the chest, but outside the lungs (pneumothorax); also from just having a wonky respiratory system (as your cat probably has). Some papers talk about that if problems arise then surgery is required to remove the problem lung lobe with the ruptured bulla.

Thing is, you can't predict if or when a bulla will rupture. Not eating shouldn't necessarily be a sign of it, especially if there was no major pneumothorax identified on rads. There then might be something else entirely going on; once that's dealt with, it's something to know that BPD is present.

IF you notice sudden respiratory problems, then it could be the BPD flaring/a pneumo forming and thus an ER visit with rads is in order.

I appreciate this, and I agree that I don't think BPD is behind this (and am a little disappointed the vet didn't really address the issue we brought him in for). It sounds like this is just something we should be aware of as part of his health makeup and be ready to get him to the vet if he starts breathing poorly?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tamarillo posted:

Re: picky eater I can confirm that pets eating other pets food can have very rancid consequences. When my cat got into his food once there were horror-shits of extreme fragrance shortly afterwards, and when my dog ate an entire bowl of cat food I accidentally left in his reach once I got home to find he'd liquid-shat his britches, managing to cover his crate, bedding, floor and a small section of the wall.

Unfortunately I don't have any constructive advice because I have the opposite situation :( dog eats from a kong, cats are free-fed on a shelf, everyone wins.

yeah... cat snuck some kibble today and explodashat the litterbox with "horror-shits of extreme fragrance shortly afterwards"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

One of my cats keeps pooping on the couch and I don't know why. The box is cleaned daily, and both cats also use the box. One of them who only liked to stay upstairs in my room is now exploring the downstairs, and being brave, so I'm not sure it's stress related.

What makes the couch so appealing?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Deviant posted:

One of my cats keeps pooping on the couch and I don't know why. The box is cleaned daily, and both cats also use the box. One of them who only liked to stay upstairs in my room is now exploring the downstairs, and being brave, so I'm not sure it's stress related.

Your cat needs more exercise.

Because she is a couch poo-tato.

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deviant posted:

My wild-rear end guess is the cat is stressed and trying to send you a message. It knows you will notice poop on the couch. Its turf is being invaded and it's afraid of fighting, so it's trying to get your attention and defend it.

Getting a second litter box, one for each, may help. Once the two cats learn to cohabit the same space the problem will probably go away.