Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's about the same as the old translation, imo. There were some parts that were awkward, like Kurt's use of sortie and some of Leila's lines, but the interactions between Kurt, Reila, and Imca were better in this translation than the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I dunno, to me almost everything sounds way more awkward now. It seems like a very clumsy translation. I think the original updates were written better in almost every area that I've looked at.

I agree, the new translation sounds more robotic/oddly phrased. Imica's evasions are far more entertaining now, however.

Also I can't bring myself to dislike Imica, she's a Gouf!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'll try to clean up the translation, since I didn't "localize" it like I did with the original translation. Also gives me an excuse to replace the portraits at least.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Dominatrix chick gets the honor of being the first female character in VC3 I don't like. :toot:

Internet Kraken posted:

You know I don't think I've played a game where I got to control a badass grandma. That's pretty novel.

I didn't play the first game much but I thought there was a similar character there, too.

TWIST FIST posted:

Yeah this game isn't the hilarious trainwreck that vc2 is but it just ends up being kinda dull instead. Like, I can't remember how a single character mission goes in this game while the ones in vc2 were at least memorably dumb.

This might at least partially be because of the translation, I dunno

Also Imca owns y'all are just haters

You sure you played through the whole game? Some of the character missions were awesome.

Francis posted:

The dating sim situations and awful characters are already making me more angry than most of VC2.

I honestly have no idea how you can jump right into this after getting so sick of the first game's environments.

The dating sim stuff hasn't even come up yet. :colbert:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 24, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

theres a dating sim part in this game?

must have not gotten that far when i played.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

theres a dating sim part in this game?

must have not gotten that far when i played.

It's barely that. It's literally just choosing Imca or Reila specific variations of scenes. There's no dialogue choice, no S link-like, nothing. It's basically VC1's Welkin/Alicia type of romance.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Tae posted:

It's barely that. It's literally just choosing Imca or Reila specific variations of scenes. There's no dialogue choice, no S link-like, nothing. It's basically VC1's Welkin/Alicia type of romance.

"Do you want to marry me?"
"No"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tae posted:

The fact that you can choose makes a pretty big difference. It implicitly turns Kurt into a self-insert character, since the player chooses which one they'd like to see more of. It's not a dealbreaker, but it definitely leans heavily in that direction.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tae posted:

Wow what a choice

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's really funny since there's no affection system or anything, so you can view one girl's version of every scene, then at the very last choice end up with the other girl you haven't been spending any time with.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 24, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

All updates now "localized." Not a professional, so results may vary but it should be smoother to read now. As far as major change, Imca is referred to as Ace instead of 1 most of the time.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Tae posted:

All updates now "localized." Not a professional, so results may vary but it should be smoother to read now. As far as major change, Imca is referred to as Ace instead of 1 most of the time.

It's good! Thank you so much for putting all this effort.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cake Attack posted:

it's really funny since there's no affection system or anything, so you can view one girl's version of every scene, then at the very last choice end up with the other girl you haven't been spending any time with.

Are these scenes strictly optional or do you have to end up with someone?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lotish posted:

Are these scenes strictly optional or do have to end up with someone?

you have to. basically at a couple of points you can either hang out with riela or imca, with the last of these points working as the final decision.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Early March, the Gallian Army's counterattack did not work as effectively as they hoped, and had dissolved into a war of attrition across central Gallia. The Imperial Army initiated a plan to push the invasion further to the west. It was only a matter of time before more than half of Gallia would be conquered.

The orders say they're the Militia's 3rd battalion.
Those guys are fighting in central Gallia and are deadlocked with the Imperials. They don't have enough manpower and called for reinforcements, but the Gallian Army has its hands full as usual.
In 96 hours, You are to break through the deadlock and reinforce their operations. Sounds easy enough, right?
It's not like I have a choice.
Hey, now you're getting into the Nameless spirit!
Oh, by the way, the road to the militia is littered in enemy landmines. Going around it will take too long, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
You're not making this any easier, are you?
In a nutshell, just go through a bunch of mines, some dozen enemy squads, yada yada.
Not too much, right?
*Thinks* This certainly explains why we got this mission....

*Later that day*

Go through a minefield? Easy for them to say!
And there's no time to disable the mines? Why?
We only have 96 hours to rendezvous with the militia. Going around or clearing the mines will take took much time.
So we just need to not step on them, right?
You're forgetting we have a tank and convoy with us. Not exactly ballerinas.
All of you can charge in yourselves. I'll watch the performance from behind.

Use your heads, guys! This mission is suicide!
Charging in recklessly isn't exactly your style, Kurt. So what's your plan?
It's simple. We'll just simply eliminate the Imperials stationed around the minefields.
Are you serious?!
Do we have enough time for that?
Once we defeat the enemy camps, we'll collect any supplies they leave behind. I'll take care of the rest after that.

How confident are you in this plan?
This is the safest route to success.
Are you sure about this?
I'm with you! I'll do my very best.
I'm in, as well. If no one else has a better plan, then listen to the captain.
Me three! We're wasting time otherwise!
Still, even if we did get there in time, what's the point of sending a single squad for reinforcement?
Probably just to have us as explosive decoys.
Terrific. Our last captain died because of HQ's impossible orders and this'll be no different.

And I will make sure of it as your captain.
Hm, so you say. If what you said is all talk, I won't back to "educate" you.
You piqued my interest, though. And for that, I'll join the operation.
So 23 is in. Anyone else?
Fine, I'll go!
You betcha!
It's not like I have a choice now, do I?
Looks like the captain has his squad ready.
Let's all do our best!

So it looks like we just fight in the forest, past a bridge, into a canyon full of mines, and destroy a half-dozen platoons along the way. I don't see a problem with this.

Please give a warm welcome to the newest member to join the Nameless.

Before I was transferred here, I was a nurse. If you have any troubles, don't hesitate to ask for help.

So there's a few new things available to us in this chapter. First, Kurt's been promoted to captain and is now a CP leader. That means we get that extra CP every turn that Kurt is out on the field.

Orders start rotating in the Training Grounds, and of course we can still learn Orders once we level certain stats to a specific level.

Pure Heart: Increase accuracy when near an ally.
Equal Heart: Increase accuracy when near a non-Gallian.
Star-Crossed: Interception fire decreases defense and evasion.
His Shadow: Decrease accuracy and evasion.

Clarissa has sky-high accuracy, but some lously Potentials. You'd think Equal Heart would make her a great Shocktrooper, but Star-Crossed makes her one of the worst. Not exactly a good unit.

The shop has a new item to purchase, the sniper rifle. Buying this unlocks the sniper class in the Training Grounds, which basically means it's time for Serge to get useful.

Goddamn, almost 40 accuracy.

Beyond the usual upgrade tiers to weapons and vehicles, armaments are available to buy. The Constructer Arm is finally available, opening up shortcut city.

The free mission is a variation of the last mission, except it's at night.

The enemy ace weapon, a two-defeat requirement, is this insane turret gun. For reference, our current turret is: 11 anti-infantry/42 anti-armor/44 accuracy. That makes the APC a legitimate killer, something that it struggled to do until now.

Last but not least, Kurt has a special ability he can use that eats up 1 CP and SP (The silver coins under the CP stars).

Direct Command can bring along up to 2 other characters by initiating co-op, effectively making him a APC of sorts. Normal rules such as ally-fire apply, but mostly it's to bring along a slow unit to areas that the APC can't travel like alleyways.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Direct Command was an idea I really liked, but seeing it in practice made me realize that it's kinda lousy. If I had to improve it, I'd give Kurt more AP for that turn, give him better accuracy, and make the squad units teleport to the sides when it comes time to fire, so that they don't accidentally riddle our hero full of holes. I'd hide the teleportation with a cut in of Kurt's eyes, I mean they use those often enough anyway.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

SSNeoman posted:

Direct Command was an idea I really liked, but seeing it in practice made me realize that it's kinda lousy. If I had to improve it, I'd give Kurt more AP for that turn, give him better accuracy, and make the squad units teleport to the sides when it comes time to fire, so that they don't accidentally riddle our hero full of holes. I'd hide the teleportation with a cut in of Kurt's eyes, I mean they use those often enough anyway.

Yeah, it's really finicky to use and having to manually form up wastes so much AP.

The biggest problem with it is that the alternative uses for SP are so much better, but, well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

First mission of the operation, and it's pretty much the same maps as last time.

So far, APC still reigns king as the tank hasn't seen much work since the middle of VC2.

Let's talk about the major problems with Kurt's special ability. In Free missions, he has 3 SP available. In story missions, 1.

Direct Command also doesn't carry over ladders or anything that has you disappear from the screen for a second.You would think map 3 screams "Use Direct Command to capture that base!" Nope. The only useful thing aside from being a mini-APC is that you can kill most soldiers behind sandbags with the added firepower, I guess.

Beating the enemy ace, Holy Blessed (Yeah, I know), gives you an Engineer pistol. For reference, the current pistol is: 20 anti-infantry/43 anti-armor/62 aim/100 range. Not game-changing like the Scout and Shocktrooper weapons, but an upgrade nonetheless.

Hello there. It's been a while, Maxy.

Your highness, General Jaeger will be arriving soon.
I see.
My apologies for living in such a spartan palace. Do you need anything, Highness?
Do not worry about such trifles. The only thing I want from you is to bring me victory.
Yes, your Highness. Forgive my rudeness.

You keep His Highness waiting, and yet speak with such attitude? Such insolence!
It's all right. Stand down, Selvaria.
...Yes, sir. As your Highness commands.

The northern army's current operation to conquer Fouzen is underway. The coastal and harbor facilities have already been taken over, as well. Thanks to this, transporting the ragnite from Gallian mines via sea to the Empire is now possible.
You seem to be taking your time with that. Are the defenses at Fouzen as tough as they say?
Yes, but our concentrated attacks on certain key points have minimized casualties. This operation will ensure our victory for the future.

The southern advance has been proceeding smoothly since last month. We've captured the strategic point of Yuell and established a base at Kloden.
However, the south has many rivers and not very many bridges to cross. At the same time, the southern Gallian forces are using the Gassenarl Fortress as a base.
For that, we just have to lay siege to it and cut off their supplies.
Wouldn't it be better to destroy them sooner rather than later?
That's what I'd like to do, but our central advance needs attention as well.

Your Highness, ever since the Vasel bridge was retaken, the central front has been deadlocked. The bulk of the Gallian forces seem to be concentrated there. Most likely to defend Randgriz. If we take advantage of the situation, the north and south will be easy captures.
How disappointing. The original plan was to take Randgriz within a month.

However, our army already controls over half of Gallia. Victory is inevitable.
If our central force can link up with the forces in Fouzen and the Kloden supply base, we'll no longer need to rely on the supply lines from Ghirlandaio Fortress.
With that, we will win the battle of attrition outright.
I promise His Highness will have victory!

That was a lot of words saying "We're awesome, gonna win, gently caress whoever got that bridge back for Gallia."

Seems Kurt already has a plan to get past the mines. Not sure how destroying a box of supplies is the same as collecting supplies, but I'm not a Genius.

The mission is the canyon level with conditions being at night and flooded, making some routes impossible to traverse.

Otherwise, easy money and milking the turns to get the most out of it.

Beating Taba the Behemoth gives a similarly powerful tank turret that we could've had at the branch split, so even doubly regret if you chose that over the sniper sub-machine gun.

We've collected the Imperial supplies. So what are they for?
Sorry to keep you all waiting. We'll begin crossing the minefield.
Exactly how are we supposed to traverse thorough unharmed, again?
Have a look at this.

Huh? They look like two identical maps.

Really?!
We found them among the things I told you to gather from the enemy supplies.
That mountain of trash? That thing was filled with thousands of papers!
Where did you find the time?
I'm a fast reader.
And you did that while still commanding us in battle, just how could you....
The two maps were taken from two different enemy camps.

Ah, that explains the two missions. He wanted to make sure the cross-information was correct.

I see, the enemies have to pass through the mine area at some point. By combining the maps, the full layout's revealed. Your gamble paid off.
But are the maps reliable?
If there's any mistake, we go "BOOM", right?
I know. That's why I volunteer myse--

Riela?
I can't allow the captain himself sacrifice himself for our safety. That would be humiliating.
Also, if I go, no one will complain. So I think I'm the one most suited for this.
13, you...

*The rest stay silent*

Yes, sir!

*Later at the minefield*

Moving out! *Runs rowards the mines*
Can the "Angel of Death" really walk through this valley alive?
Idiot, don't jinx her!

*Farther back in the group*

Kurt, are you worried?
Why? I believe that map is accurate.
Even if that map is accurate, it's possible they may have laid mines in the wrong place.
That's true, but...

*Time passes*

*Over radio* This is Riela! I've made it through the minefield! The map is accurate!
Understood. Hold your position. We'll be right there!
Yes, sir!

*After everyone made it past the mines*

That's should be our line!
You're quite bold, Riela. Impressive.
Well since you aren't the "Angel of Death" anymore, how about we just call you, "Angel?"
Everyone, that's a bit too much!

*At a distance*

All right, we've broken through the minefield. Next, we rendezvous with the 3rd Battalion.
Hey, what are you doing? You've got to go compliment that girl.
Eh? Why? Riela was only doing her duty as a squad member.
Sheesh, for a fast reader, you're pretty slow on reading the atmosphere. Hurry up and give her praise!
....All right.

*Later that day*

Yes?
It's not much, but I just wanted to tell you that you did well.
Thanks to you, everyone made across the minefield safely. You have my sincerest gratitude.
Thank you! I didn't think you would praise me just for that. I'm really glad!
Really?
I'm just relieved I made a difference to everyone!

*Riela runs off*

Glad, huh?
Believing in someone is a powerful strength. Riela believed in you and walked through that minefield unafraid. There's a really deep meaning to that, you know.
Is there...?
Kurt, you really are a slow reader after all.

Tae fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 6, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

thank you gusurg, for trying to get us laid, but i think kurt is a lost cause

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gusurg seems like a pretty level-headed and cool second in command.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
My god, some of our subordinates are actually likeable!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Watch, its gonna turn out Gusurg is the one person in the squad who murdered somebody with his bare hands.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He's one of those clever sociopaths, maneuvering to avoid the responsibility of command and getting to sit in a nice safe tank.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Ikasuhito posted:

Watch, its gonna turn out Gusurg is the one person in the squad who murdered somebody with his bare hands.

And not because the guy was a racist and he was defending a Darcsen they guy was about to kill. He just wanted to watch a man die.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do we actually meet more militia groups or is that one of those offscreen things?

Anyway, I love how few shits our ultimate commanding officer gives.

But I don't really understand the whole "no time to remove mines" thing. Can't Engineers/Armor Techs do that for free while they move?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Glazius posted:

Do we actually meet more militia groups or is that one of those offscreen things?

But I don't really understand the whole "no time to remove mines" thing. Can't Engineers/Armor Techs do that for free while they move?

I'm not sure what you mean on the first question.

The 2nd question is answered with "Never put gameplay and story mechanics together." Otherwise you question why a single tank isn't the most powerful weapon in the war and a dozen of them would win outright.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Because there's no reason to build a dozen tanks when you could build a single tank the size of a small town. :colbert:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Good God, Kurt's plan in getting both maps makes sense and didn't even occur to me to be a sensible thing. What is this? An anime character actually doing things that are logical?!

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Tae posted:

The 2nd question is answered with "Never put gameplay and story mechanics together." Otherwise you question why a single tank isn't the most powerful weapon in the war and a dozen of them would win outright.

Well, obviously because tanks can't capture bases. If you don't switch out the flags, then you can't move your troops around and the war grinds to a halt.

Regarding the Direct Command ability, I think it's actually very good if you use it right. Two reasons:

1) Activating it, regardless of Kurt's class or how tired he is, will give him a full AP bar about the size of a Scout's.

2) Units attached to Kurt will join in when he shoots people, even the classes that normally wouldn't, like Lancers and Snipers. If there's a high-priority target that you absolutely want dead, there's nothing quite like making Kurt a sniper, grabbing two other snipers, and annihilating the target to the tune of about 500-700 damage.

That said, harsh experience has taught me that you never want to try co-oping when you're near a flag, unless you want Kurt to accidentally leave the map and make you feel like an idiot.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Sindai posted:

Because there's no reason to build a dozen tanks when you could build a single tank the size of a small town. :colbert:

Seems to work well enough for the Imperial Guard and the Concordiant

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
When team Max showed up in the original VC, they seemed totally over the top and one-dimensional. After VC2 they feel like high art.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Not only a single map but two maps to cross check information? Kurt really is a genius (by anime standards at least.)

Night10194 posted:

Gusurg seems like a pretty level-headed and cool second in command.
That seems to be a trait of all Darcsen, developed from generations of 'turn the other cheek' for being blamed for a calamity.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I need a new page, but all I have are horrible reminders that the artist is still obsessed with breast ratio.

Reila art concepts

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Well, that didn't take long.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I had various PCs I was playing this game on, and accidentally overwrote my save files without backups. It sent me back about 8 chapters. I didn't have the heart to do it all over again.

Thanks for going through this so I don't have to again. :)

e: dang, no new page

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You're like six posts from a new page still

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that's a lot of posts

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

can i hold out, and make three more posts?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Please don't spam it like last time.

edit: Seriously, please don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tae posted:

Please don't spam it like last time.

edit: Seriously, please don't.

Alright, sorry, won't do it again

• Locked thread