Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Stakeland is awesome for how low budget it was.

I'd much rather see Stakeland again than World War Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'd rather watch neither.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Stakeland is servicable but it's not all that special. It's more interesting in the budget vs set/costume quality than as an actual movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Binary Badger posted:

Stake Land is a predictable but entertaining survival flick up on Netflix, told from the viewpoint of one survivor who is rescued by an unknown badass named simply 'Mister.' He kind of looks like Remo Williams with a goatee.

This time its a 'vamp' plague but it has some interesting twists, such as a religious coven using the vamps literally as weapons.

Kelly McGillis is in this but she's amazingly unrecognizable, didn't know it was her until the end credits.

Pacing reminds me of Z-Nation but obviously more compact.
Stakeland has been up on Netflix for quite a while, like 2 years or more. It's pretty good and a heck of a lot of fun. It's actually your classic hero quest arc, disguised as a post-apoc vampire/zombie movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay I got around to watching Toad Road because I'm tired of seeing people post about it and getting it mixed up with Yellow brick road which I vaguely recalled watching and thinking was pretty good (but I fell asleep toward the end and don't remember the finish)..

Okay so the first few feelings i got from Toad Road:
-someone has really spent a lot of time living this life, because it's very realistic and intense. The drug stuff is spot-on for some of the interpersonal dynamics and inner-personal dynamics :downsrim: and all of those interactions are very genuinely put together.. I'm not sure if it was the writing or the actors ad-libbing, but clearly someone has spent a lot of time taking whatever drug du jour their friends brought home for the night, and spent some time with some (as?) serious psychedelic transcendance chasers.
-the allegories are super heavy-handed. It reminds me of that Johnny Depp film.
-why is it "found footage"? Most of the time there's nobody to film but they still use the same camera tricks. Felt weird.
-Valhalla Rising.
-Severed Ways

Unsatisfying ending. It started slow, came in strong, and then kind of farted itself to sleep.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Watched Residue. I thought it was a British show so a season would tell more or less a complete story. It didn't tell any story at all. It's basically a two and a half hour pilot. The plot goes nowhere. It looks nice, but the acting is mediocre and the characters get no development whatsoever. Plus it's the same old "Evil Government agents are covering up a mystery, will our intrepid heroes discover the truth? NOPE" plot.

What a waste of time.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Million Ghosts posted:

Stakeland is servicable but it's not all that special. It's more interesting in the budget vs set/costume quality than as an actual movie.

For being an unknown vampire/zombie movie on Netflix, it sure is something special, compared to the trash in the genre.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Some Amazon Prime alerts:

- the documentary Art and Craft is pretty incredible.
- season 1 of Veep is now streaming

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Is Between the first Netflix original that's being dribbled out weekly instead of a full season binge release?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

pseudorandom name posted:

Is Between the first Netflix original that's being dribbled out weekly instead of a full season binge release?

It's because it's airing on normal TV in Canada.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

neonnoodle posted:

Some Amazon Prime alerts:

- the documentary Art and Craft is pretty incredible.
- season 1 of Veep is now streaming

Yay Veep, my favorite anti West Wing.

Also this is your monthly reminder everybody to watch The Thick of It if you haven't. Afterwards watch Veep.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Better Call Saul was released weekly, at least in the UK.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Better Call Saul was released weekly, at least in the UK.

Better Call Saul isn't a Netflix original though.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Better Call Saul isn't a Netflix original though.

Oh I thought it was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Oh I thought it was.

I remember the scuttlebutt that suggested that it might be produced by Netflix.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
They put the bloody Netflix Original thing on it, I forgot that that means Not Netflix Original, sorry.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Better Call Saul aired on TV in the US.

There's a pattern.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lycus posted:

Better Call Saul aired on TV in the US.

There's a pattern.

I didn't know that and if I had I would have realised sooner, sorry everyone.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone said Daredevil in here? Because I am loving this poo poo. Do recommend heartily.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

elestupendojudio posted:

Has anyone said Daredevil in here? Because I am loving this poo poo. Do recommend heartily.

Yeah it was pretty rad.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I decided to cancel HBO Now, at least for the time being. There are two main problems with it:

- The apps are terrible. You cannot add a TV series to your watch list, only individual episodes. This is annoying but doable with a miniseries (make sure to start from the end because the watch list is a stack!) but going through a full show is offensive. Even worse, it does not remember which episodes you've already watched. It is extremely annoying to have to manually browse to the next episode you want to watch every time you turn it on.
- The real killer is that the network capacity just isn't there. All the fancy content is useless if you can't actually watch it. I would say I'm happy with Netflix speed 90% of the time; HBO Now is more like 40%. I can't remember watching a single thing that didn't noticeably drop frames from time to time (we're talking less than 20 fps). It is tolerable on weeknights but weekends are a disaster. I was trying to finish S1 of The Wire this weekend and I got booted out of the stream at least 30 times. After midnight on Saturday, early Sunday afternoon, it doesn't matter.

I'll probably try it again at some future point, but right now paying nearly twice as much as Netflix for a primitive service that barely works just isn't worth it.

I'm afraid that this problem will continue in the future as more and more content becomes available to cord-cutters. It's unrealistic to think that every single channel/media group will be competent enough to create a useable streaming service.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

david_a posted:

I decided to cancel HBO Now, at least for the time being. There are two main problems with it:

Seconded. The content is absolutely worth the asking price, but not the implementation.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Jen Kirkman special starts off kinda slow but it's pretty good. Not as insufferable and disappointing as Chris D'Elia's Incorrigible.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I'm wondering now if the stutter frames I see on HBO NOW are a server side network thing instead of compression issue.

I definitely notice it in their series stuff and my internet is very fast.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

So why did they make a new website instead of you getting a GO log-in?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I'm wondering now if the stutter frames I see on HBO NOW are a server side network thing instead of compression issue.

I definitely notice it in their series stuff and my internet is very fast.
I kinda wondered if it was an encoding thing since it seemed to stutter suspiciously similarly the same if you rewind and play a scene again. Either way, they have a lot of problems to work through before it's worth it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

K. Waste posted:

The Jen Kirkman special starts off kinda slow but it's pretty good. Not as insufferable and disappointing as Chris D'Elia's Incorrigible.

Been meaning to watch this as i like her on podcasts, but the stuff I've seen of hers has some really awkward delivery. Her jokes are decently funny but she sounds like she just memorized a flash card 5 minutes earlier. Hopefully that's improved.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Watched Zombeavers. Enjoyable. It skirts the line when it comes to "trying to hard to be a campy bad movie" but knows what it's trying to do and doesn't disappoint. Stick around for the credit music.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

david_a posted:

- The apps are terrible. You cannot add a TV series to your watch list, only individual episodes. This is annoying but doable with a miniseries (make sure to start from the end because the watch list is a stack!) but going through a full show is offensive. Even worse, it does not remember which episodes you've already watched. It is extremely annoying to have to manually browse to the next episode you want to watch every time you turn it on.
- The real killer is that the network capacity just isn't there. All the fancy content is useless if you can't actually watch it. I would say I'm happy with Netflix speed 90% of the time; HBO Now is more like 40%. I can't remember watching a single thing that didn't noticeably drop frames from time to time (we're talking less than 20 fps). It is tolerable on weeknights but weekends are a disaster. I was trying to finish S1 of The Wire this weekend and I got booted out of the stream at least 30 times. After midnight on Saturday, early Sunday afternoon, it doesn't matter.

I'll probably try it again at some future point, but right now paying nearly twice as much as Netflix for a primitive service that barely works just isn't worth it.

I'm afraid that this problem will continue in the future as more and more content becomes available to cord-cutters. It's unrealistic to think that every single channel/media group will be competent enough to create a useable streaming service.

I didn't renew for the same reasons. I caught up on GoT, which is cool. The stream quality kept fluctuating though, getting real soft and cheap looking. I have zero problems with Netflix and Hulu on my Apple TV, so I assume it was the service itself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is HBO now on different servers from Go or something? Been using it for years and it seems fine. I mean, the interface sucks but it streams fine.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

elestupendojudio posted:

I binged that poo poo in a day and now i'm crying over the fact the second season won't be until spring 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NESguerilla posted:

Is HBO now on different servers from Go or something? Been using it for years and it seems fine. I mean, the interface sucks but it streams fine.
Yes, I believe they are 100% separate services. HBO Now was built using the MLB.tv streaming platform whereas Go is a homegrown solution as far as I know. I can only assume they realized that Go wouldn't scale up properly so they decided an entirely different system was needed. I'm sure both systems are fine for people lucky enough to live close to a content server but I was under the impression that Go was even jankier than Now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you want some slightly different horror, try Horror Express up on Amazon Prime.

It stars Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing in one of the few movies they are both protagonists; it was made on a low budget and was a joint Spanish/British production and strangely enough is loosely based on Who Goes There, the same short story that provided the basis for The Thing, but from a slightly different perspective.

Also has a special guest appearance by Telly Savalas minus his trademark lollipop and 'Who loves ya baby' shtick.

It's got a very 70's Gothic feel to it which might not be your cup of tea but it's a great vehicle for Cushing and Lee..

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm on episode 2 of UK show Residue and while I have no idea if I like it, it is loving mental and stars Iwan Rheon (Simon from Misfits) so by the end of it I may just be declaring it "the new Misfits", though the tone is WAY darker.

Bonus for having the most surreal use of the song "Have You Ever Spent the Night in Jail" I've ever seen.

e: it's on Netflix, by the way

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I started watching Veep on Amazon Prime and it's pretty good. Worth a watch.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

david_a posted:

Yes, I believe they are 100% separate services. HBO Now was built using the MLB.tv streaming platform whereas Go is a homegrown solution as far as I know. I can only assume they realized that Go wouldn't scale up properly so they decided an entirely different system was needed. I'm sure both systems are fine for people lucky enough to live close to a content server but I was under the impression that Go was even jankier than Now.

Makes you wonder why they wouldn't just outsource the whole goddamn thing through Netflix or Amazon. Zero infrastructure to build, solid network already in place, solid interface already in place. Just pass the data files over. Hell I'd pay an additional $10 or whatever to Netflix for the "HBO access pack" or whatever they wanted to call it.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

Makes you wonder why they wouldn't just outsource the whole goddamn thing through Netflix or Amazon. Zero infrastructure to build, solid network already in place, solid interface already in place. Just pass the data files over. Hell I'd pay an additional $10 or whatever to Netflix for the "HBO access pack" or whatever they wanted to call it.

Because why would Netflix want to do that?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They did, MLB.tv is considered one of the best streaming platforms.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

If you want some slightly different horror, try Horror Express up on Amazon Prime.

It stars Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing in one of the few movies they are both protagonists; it was made on a low budget and was a joint Spanish/British production and strangely enough is loosely based on Who Goes There, the same short story that provided the basis for The Thing, but from a slightly different perspective.

Also has a special guest appearance by Telly Savalas minus his trademark lollipop and 'Who loves ya baby' shtick.

It's got a very 70's Gothic feel to it which might not be your cup of tea but it's a great vehicle for Cushing and Lee..

This is a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah I thought of that exact same thing too. Netflix/Amazon probably don't want multiple tiers though and would prefer to include fancy content in the base offering and jack up the rates. Bundling all over again, in other words...