Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ProfessorBooty posted:

If I want a soldier to have a certain nickname, I'll give it to her or him - if I'm just throwing out an idea, it means I'm just voting (mostly) fairly, don't let my suggestions discourage you from making your own. Also, nicknames have an 11 character limit, which really sucks IMO.

I'm just giving you a hard time mostly Booty, I'm just throwing out alternatives personally because I really like 99 percent too.

I also forgot to ask if keeping your scouts with marksman rifles is typically how you run them after a certain month? Do shotguns just sorta fall off in usefulness to spam on most of your soldiers, or do you think with the ballastics shotgun nerf they aren't as useful to have as many of? And the most important question, does my scout build keep the shotgun or switch to rifles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

SaffronKit posted:

I'm just giving you a hard time mostly Booty, I'm just throwing out alternatives personally because I really like 99 percent too.

I also forgot to ask if keeping your scouts with marksman rifles is typically how you run them after a certain month? Do shotguns just sorta fall off in usefulness to spam on most of your soldiers, or do you think with the ballastics shotgun nerf they aren't as useful to have as many of? And the most important question, does my scout build keep the shotgun or switch to rifles?

A lot of it comes with the decision to make a second scout build, meaning that either I make more scouty-scouts in case they get hurt, or I significantly lower the chances of them getting hurt so I can move on to make snipers. Also, I've been extremely impressed by the performance and versatility of the scout with a marksman rifle, it means I have a more flexible (if slightly less powerful) sniper on every mission, and having more distance means I can have greater control of lightning reflexes.

Your build will probably stick to shotguns for most missions, then move over to some sort of strike rifle for terror missions. The shotgun nerf hurts - and directly affects how my assaults do in two missions now (one we haven't seen yet), but it wasn't a consideration.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

ProfessorBooty posted:

:siren:Congratulations Kurieg and Rogue0071 in making Corporal! Kureig and Rogue0071 needs a nickname!:siren:

Earlier Dinictus suggested Dead Center for Kurieg.

I'm going to throw out Ninety-Nine for Rogue0071, in memory of the 99 percent Cryssalid during the Site Recon op.

Honestly, Kurieg is hitting every rocket. Let's hope this streak won't break.

Ninety-Nine's great. I'll vouch for that one.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Ninty-Nine is indeed perfect.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Man I was looking to see if I could pick up Enemy Within so I could start my own Long War game (I would be playing Witcher 3 except I am worried it will break my already fragile, dying PC) but I can't find it for less then 20 bucks anywhere, it's still 50 on Steam too.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Gridlocked posted:

Man I was looking to see if I could pick up Enemy Within so I could start my own Long War game (I would be playing Witcher 3 except I am worried it will break my already fragile, dying PC) but I can't find it for less then 20 bucks anywhere, it's still 50 on Steam too.

Wait for the steam summer sale. Think I got it for like 10 bucks.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Gridlocked posted:

Also, the Long War mod only works with the steam version (at least, I'm reasonably certain that's the case). Just wait for the summer sale.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
So with the terror mission in Australia, will that free the country, or does it just increase panic elsewhere if you fail?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

HiKaizer posted:

So with the terror mission in Australia, will that free the country, or does it just increase panic elsewhere if you fail?

You need to do Base Assaults to free a country, to the best of my knowledge.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

We're off to save Australian refugees. I brought a pretty strong squad and I think things went reasonably well except for one unintended activation. Also, I didn't bring medkits. Oops.

:siren:Congratulations Congojack in making Corporal! Congojack needs a nickname!:siren:

My nickname suggestion for CongoJack: First Blood, in memory of him being the first downed soldier (and despite this, he's still an amazing sniper - being critically injured isn't a huge deal guys, trust me!).

Perk Talk

Flush v. Aggression v. Battle Scanner

Flush fits in with the scout tries to get bad guys out of cover so others have a better shot - Flush + Holotargeting is a good combonation in that manner. But flush is flush, sometimes it works against your best interests, and sometimes guys don't actually move. With that in mind, I usually use flush as an ability that gives me a great chance to kill a low HP unit, it is something that's worth picking up, except...

Battle Scanner is an amazing perk. Scouts get two battle scanners, and the battle scanner perk provides an extra +50% to their throw range, so even a long range scout can throw a battle scanner far enough away to give good intel.

Aggression is a nice perk :). I'll give this perk to damage/crit scouts.

New Stuff! (We had it available before, but I failed to talk about it, oops)

Reinforced Armor

Reinforced Armor provides +1 DR, +1 HP, -2 mobility, and -6 defense. I used to not consider using this armor, but now that MEC tanking is a long ways off we have to consider bio-tanking, so this + will to survive + cover provides around 3 DR, which is pretty significant at this stage of the game. The -6 defense seems like a really bad thing but its kind of desirable so the aliens are more likely to shoot at your tank.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Professor you are a lifesaver. My PC is currently choking to death and I am 3 days away from my replacement parts arriving. I can't play any video games and all I have is youtube, thank you for providing content I want to watch.

Edit: Even better we are going to save my home country!

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 25, 2015

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

So wait, isn't phalanx armor supposed to stop things from being damaged like that? Does that mean it doesn't protect itself?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

That shotgun was a disgrace to it's family.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Kidneyman: Would you say I have stormtrooper accuracy. Missing when under pressure but hitting when I'm the hero.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

SaffronKit posted:

1% or The One Percent because I like my nicknames to be rich with humor!

:golfclap:

Didn't do much this last mission, but hey, a promotion is a promotion.

SaffronKit posted:

So wait, isn't phalanx armor supposed to stop things from being damaged like that? Does that mean it doesn't protect itself?

We need armour for our armour!

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!
I really hate mech unit dr. Also you got really lucky that the chrysallids didn't just all swarm to you, they always do that to me :(

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Armor has some chance of breaking if a unit takes actual HP damage. I think it rises linearly with 0 hp damage = 0% chance of breaking, soldier on the brink of death = 20% hp damage. So that was a 10% chance with Tom.

Still, it would have been better if I remembered Megane had HEAT warheads, then one AP grenade would have taken care of that seeker. Whoops v:downs:v

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I'm putting money on the table that we went into Australia solely to rescue our newly-minted officer Gridlocked's cat.

e: THe phalanx armour doesn't need fixed. Just leave it as it is; fused to my chest hair.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 25, 2015

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

That mission went pretty well considering that bad activation turn. Good job guys, especially Gridlocked.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Woo! Survived the evacuation of Australia. As far as terror missions go, that went pretty well. Long War isn't quite at murder everything you know and love mode yet.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I think I have a name for Congojack proper.

Do more experienced do more damage too as they level up? Pointer made short work out of that Scout. Though, come to think of it, that could be that finished research, rather.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dinictus posted:

I think I have a name for Congojack proper.

Do more experienced do more damage too as they level up? Pointer made short work out of that Scout. Though, come to think of it, that could be that finished research, rather.

I heartily second 'Banana Man' for Congojack.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I did it you guys, success through mediocre shots.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Dinictus posted:

More experience just means better % chance to hit. I think one or both of those shots were critical hits. The research also likely helped. I've never seen a two-shotted scout with sting rays before.

Get a grip, Congo, you're part of the team. As a matter of fact, I have a lot of depressed soldiers (I blame myself for the majority of this - I'm trying to fix my attitude). Not everyone can be the 6-kill-per-mission soldier, and we need soldiers that provide a sturdy foundation so those mega-kill soldiers can actually function.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

No one is ever going to live up to Van Dorn's alien massacre. Really anything near that end of the scale is a bit unlikely to keep happening, though I can dream of getting a multi-kill with a shotgun one day.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Can't believe it's nearly another month before I can get me some again. :black101: I really think the ingame TomViolence has himself a necklace of alien ears by now.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

TomViolence posted:

Can't believe it's nearly another month before I can get me some again. :black101: I really think the ingame TomViolence has himself a necklace of alien ears by now.

That was a pretty unlucky overwatch you ate. I should have brought at least one medkit - it was pretty much two unlucky shots (40% from the Floater - who I was certain would shoot a civilian, and about 30% from the overwatching seeker). Also, I didn't listen to my own advice from like 10 episodes back to be wary of stealthed overwatching seekers.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm actually quite liking the changes to Seeker AI so far. Normally you'd just see them all cloak and make a beeline for someone in the back, but instead of going for one of your soldiers, a seeker took a position where it could overwatch to cover for his buddy. Honestly makes them a lot more threatening.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Where'd that Cryssalid that was on 1 HP that we grenaded go?

There was 2 damage and another corpse and everything!

And think, Van Dorn would've solved all those crysallid problems with one rockets.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Veloxyll posted:

And think, Van Dorn would've solved all those crysallid problems with one rockets.

I'll bring Rocketeers on a terror mission once they make a few more ranks. It sucks to accidentally blow a hole in the wall and activate seven more cryssalids.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'll bring Rocketeers on a terror mission once they make a few more ranks. It sucks to accidentally blow a hole in the wall and activate seven more cryssalids.

Booty I don't feel you did enough to save my cat. :colbert:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gridlocked posted:

Booty I don't feel you did enough to save my cat. :colbert:

To be fair, it was YOUR mission Even if you made Tom tank instead of you

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Veloxyll posted:

To be fair, it was YOUR mission Even if you made Tom tank instead of you

Tom broke ranks and rushed ahead. Also he missed on a 100% shot, who does that?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

I take complete responsiblity for this. I just wanted more ears for muh necklace. What d'you mean 'lids don't have ears?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TomViolence posted:

I take complete responsiblity for this. I just wanted more ears for muh necklace. What d'you mean 'lids don't have ears?

They have skulls. :black101:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gridlocked posted:

He'd just gotten shot in the face with plasma

Twice.

Detheros also had a pistol. Though whether that could overcome seeker armour.

Tom "Sickbay" Violence

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 26, 2015

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but hooray for rescuing people from my city! :toot:

The mission sounds like it was rough.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

My heart sank seeing Megane's grenade leave both Crysallid with one health and then proceeding to kill those two civilians. They didn't have to die, drat it :negative:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Veloxyll posted:

Detheros also had a pistol.

Yeah, but with the recent funding shortage we don't have any ammo for the pistols, Commander says we need to take them because "It looks right" or something like that.

Also been really enjoying the videos lately, keep up the good work Booty and Kidney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
e2: ^^ Thanks! I really appreciate feedback :) ^^

No way a pistol would penetrate armor, not to mention he was recovering from being strangled and he doesn't have gunslinger, it would have been like a 10% shot.

e: not including the fact it would have to do 3 damage, which is crit territory.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 26, 2015

• Locked thread