Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"I expected it to be bad" doesn't negate "it is bad".

PSWII60 didn't come across as complaining, just, y'know, providing thread content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Yes, exactly.

Dillbag posted:

Am I reading this right and you're saying you paid $8,500 for a house and you are complaining that it is poorly built/maintained?

I'm not complaining at all. I just thought some of you guys would find it funny.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dillbag posted:

Am I reading this right and you're saying you paid $8,500 for a house and you are complaining that it is poorly built/maintained?

I think paid is the right way to phrase it. Because bought certainly isn't.

Quit claims are pretty sketchy and can leave you in limbo for a long time. Not sure how much money I would put into a property in that sort of "ownership" status.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I'm surprised an inspector wouldn't catch the wiring or plumbing thing. Yikes that sucks. Having potential fire hazards or sudden flooding problems was the only thing that worried me when I was looking for my house.

The quit claim thing is scary but I assume you know what you got into there.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Can someone explain quit claims for the interested layman?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

stuxracer posted:

I'm surprised an inspector wouldn't catch the wiring or plumbing thing. Yikes that sucks. Having potential fire hazards or sudden flooding problems was the only thing that worried me when I was looking for my house.

The quit claim thing is scary but I assume you know what you got into there.

I did, The quit claim stuff is long over and actually was fairly painless. Lots of paperwork though.

The inspector I can only guess just signed off on it and didn't bother to physically inspect it. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

From my reading, it's basically "I'm gonna sell you this house, but I can't prove I own it." So you get the owner's "interest" in the property (whatever that means) instead of an actual title or deed.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Fair enough, I didn't mean to suggest that you have no right to complain about deficiencies. But you probably shouldn't be too surprised!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Essentially the current owner gives up all legal claim or interest in the property. Whoever receives it also gets all back taxes, liens, and other such things along with the property. Yes you can quitclaim a property you do not own because it does not have a guarantee along with it against third party claims. The seller does give up his claim or interest, which is none. If they are the owner it just goes smoothly and the deed gets transferred.

Dillbag posted:

Fair enough, I didn't mean to suggest that you have no right to complain about deficiencies. But you probably shouldn't be too surprised!

I'd have probably passed out from shock if there were't any repairs needed.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

From my reading, it's basically "I'm gonna sell you this house, but I can't prove I own it." So you get the owner's "interest" in the property (whatever that means) instead of an actual title or deed.

It's more like, "To whatever extent I may or may not own this house, I am selling/granting that to you". For example, if you buy a house at a tax auction, the sheriff isn't necessarily selling you the actual property, he may just be selling you the tax lien (the government's "interest" in the property) and leaving it to the buyer to do what needs to be done to get the proper title recorded. According to Wikipedia, they also come up from time to time in things like divorces where the house is awarded to one spouse and the other may give them a quitclaim deed to their interest to fulfill their obligations to the settlement.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Y'all wanna have a memorial day deck party? Just don't get too close to the railings

My neighborhood is ripe with crappy construction fodder.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Oh big deal, if it collapses there's a nice big patch of soft squishy... cactus

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

PSWII60 posted:

The inspector I can only guess just signed off on it and didn't bother to physically inspect it. :shrug:

So you didn't get it inspected, then. A home inspector doesn't sign off on anything, they give you a report of the conditions they observed.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Th

Linguica posted:

Oh big deal, if it collapses there's a nice big patch of soft squishy... cactus

That is spite cacti for building over the property line.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

Next fun thing I found out when we tried to put shelves up around the upper perimeter of some of the rooms for books/games/movies and such. We measured the shelves to be level, but some books wouldn't fit on one end of the shelf while they'd have 2" of clearance on the other side. So we checked the walls and discovered there is not a single 90 degree angle in the entirety of the house.
To be fair you should never assume your walls are at right angles. Always measure both sides.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

To be fair you should never assume your walls are at right angles. Always measure both sides.

Hell, in some houses I looked at you'd want to take string and compare corner-to-corner, because some of the rooms looked like parallelograms.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hell, in some houses I looked at you'd want to take string and compare corner-to-corner, because some of the rooms looked like parallelograms.
Isn't that the generally accepted method for measuring squareness?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Linguica posted:

Isn't that the generally accepted method for measuring squareness?
Pretty much - if the room doesn't have 4 even corners like an dining room that opens elsewhere you can also do the 3-4-5 method to at least see if the corners are right angles.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
If the room was a surprisingly even/isosceles trapezoid even the corner-to-corner measure might fail you though, I guess. :v:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Traditionally you'd measure the sides being equal before the diagonals. That disqualifies trapezoid and the only parallelogram with equal diagonals is a rectangle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep in mind when measuring the inside corner of two meeting walls, that normal plasterwork/wallboarding involves running tape at the seam, and then mudding the tape, and then smoothing and painting over that. E.g., the corner gets filled in a bit. If you just shove a set square into there, you probably won't get a 90 degree angle, but that doesn't necessarily mean the two walls aren't at 90 degrees.

That's what stuxracer is saying here:

stuxracer posted:

Pretty much - if the room doesn't have 4 even corners like an dining room that opens elsewhere you can also do the 3-4-5 method to at least see if the corners are right angles.

3-4-5 refers to the three sides of a right triangle:

Where A and B are the two lines coming from the 90 degree angle, and C is the line connecting them, measure A2 + B2 = C2. If C is off, the angle isn't 90 degrees.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 28, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Or for 3/4/5 - measure along three units (doesn't matter which, but bigger is better to get accuracy) on one wall, and four units on the other, making marks at those points. Measure between the marks, it should be 5 units if the corner is square.

(unless I've forgotten trigonometry which wouldn't remotely shock me :v:)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Or for 3/4/5 - measure along three units (doesn't matter which, but bigger is better to get accuracy) on one wall, and four units on the other, making marks at those points. Measure between the marks, it should be 5 units if the corner is square.

(unless I've forgotten trigonometry which wouldn't remotely shock me :v:)

Nope, that's accurate. There are other right-angle triangles you can use, and you can also just measure two points out from the corner, and the hypotenuse between them, and then use Pythagoras to determine if you're square. 3-4-5 is just a convenience method that saves you from having to do a little middle-school arithmetic. :v:

(I used 6-8-10 triangles while doing the layout for my workshop project to make certain the corners were square)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I feel really cool when I look up a trigonometry concept I've forgotten and then use it in a project. Makes me feel like a gentleman scholar.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Suburban tract housing, man.

Sure, lets just grout everything with leftover caulking and then slop some concrete over that to hide it for a year or two, whatever. There are concrete windowsills apparently entirely grouted with caulking, it's magnificent.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 29, 2015

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There are other right-angle triangles you can use, and you can also just measure two points out from the corner, and the hypotenuse between them, and then use Pythagoras to determine if you're square.

Just remember any right triangle with sides of 1 has a hypotenuse of 1.41. With this and Pi you can build nearly anything without a calculator.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

canyoneer posted:

I feel really cool when I look up a trigonometry concept I've forgotten and then use it in a project. Makes me feel like a gentleman scholar.

I recently used the cosine rule to estimate the height of a tree and was less than 5 % off. I felt pretty smart.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I couldn't get on my roof due to having too short of a ladder, so I figured out the angles of my rafters with a level, piece of paper, and trig. I had to look up arcsine and arccosine because I forgot the names. Ended up being pretty drat close, like 1-2° off.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sup guys, I hear PEX is hard
http://i.imgur.com/9q7tPl4.jpg

Allegedly a licensed plumber did this.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

canyoneer posted:

There are other little measurement tricks you can use while building. For instance, you make sure that any rectangle has square corners if the distance across both diagonals matches. That comes in handy when building walls, etc.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
As noted juuuust upthread, measuring both diagonals doesn't actually guarantee you have square corners; the room could be trapezoidal. You have to make sure that at least one corner is square in and of itself, too, or make sure that the walls are the same lengths.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Look, if you're not using a several-hundred-thousand-dollar LIDAR system to make detailed three dimensional scans of the room, you might as well just be guessing.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I wondered if that was a thing, and it turns out that it is. Surprisingly cheap, considering what it can do.

http://surveyequipment.com/faro-focus-3d-x-130-laser-scanner/

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If you're willing to let up on the range and accuracy requirements, you can get the price down to $380.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 29, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And in a few years, you'll just be able to park your self-driving google car in your living room and get a scan that way!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
You can already do a pretty decent job with a Kinect or two.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Project Tango is now $512. Still in dev mode but it will make a 3d map of a interior space using a IR sensor, some gyros and 2 cameras. Not sure how precise it is at this point though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I live in a 70 year old apartment building. I took one of the bedrooms to become my "train room" to build a big ol' train set in and drew up all the plans to use the space efficiently. I soon learned the walls vary by almost 2" from the front to the back, and the floor slopes about an inch from the walls to the centre. Old buildings!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I live in a 70 year old apartment building. I took one of the bedrooms to become my "train room" to build a big ol' train set in and drew up all the plans to use the space efficiently. I soon learned the walls vary by almost 2" from the front to the back, and the floor slopes about an inch from the walls to the centre. Old buildings!

I wouldn't necessarily blame its age. It could also be badly-constructed! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
My wife has one of those exercise balls. When we put it in the middle of our living room, it traces a path similar to Nurburgring.