Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woozy posted:

Do you mean something else? Because Tawny Owl should be the very first potion you start with.

Nope! Don't have it. I buy up all the recipes I see when I get to merchants, too.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was battling that dude in Visima after talking to the emperor.

OH well I'm almost positive you're expected to run away from that guy and come back later. Once I saw what he was pulling I bolted and came back shortly after beating the Velen gwent quest (baron et al) and he still wasn't any pushover. Beating him straight out of white orchard is technically possible if you hate yourself enough.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Nope! Don't have it. I buy up all the recipes I see when I get to merchants, too.

Have you looked in the potion section?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Jack2142 posted:

Guys run a Nilfgard deck it is way better than them lovely Northern Realms decks scrubs use...

The best feeling though is playing against scoiatel/monster spam deck where they drop a ton of melee units, drop a freeze on them then have the trogdor the burninator dragon card kill 10 cards in one move. :getin:

Ehhh, Nilfgaard/North is pretty even. The other two are fun but kind of trash because you don't have a ton of dope spies.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like Northern realms, because with spies and the faction ability you can quickly find yourself with a massive card advantage. Also one of the leader cards has an ability that functions as a free warhorn for your siege engines.
Nilfgaard and the North pulls away from the other sets something fierce later on when you fill your deck up with heroes, simply because they can draw literally all the cards.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Ehhh, Nilfgaard/North is pretty even. The other two are fun but kind of trash because you don't have a ton of dope spies.

Monsters seem pretty powerful, the muster ability and is OP and their racial is solid.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I like Nilfgard more because it has more healer units allowing to keep bringing back cards from previous rounds. In my deck I have 6x healer cards on top of 3x spies so its great. I just want the hero elf spy guy I NEED HIM.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,judging from the thread's opinions,Gwent is the new Triple Triad?

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Is Gwent in any way important to the story/side quests? Because card games is really not my thing. :saddowns:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

gasman posted:

Is Gwent in any way important to the story/side quests? Because card games is really not my thing. :saddowns:

Nah, you'll run into it a couple of times, but winning is never necessary, and usually you can just skip playing it entirely with a dialogue option.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

VolticSurge posted:

So,judging from the thread's opinions,Gwent is the new Triple Triad?

Honestly from what I have seen it is less annoying and realistically you can build a solid deck from winning the quests which are not terribly difficult and buying cards from innkeepers etc. Also it has absolutely nothing to do with the main story, its just a side game.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Gwent sucks. there's literally no reason to play the game out. The computer should just say "THIS DECK IS BETTER YOU WIN/LOSE" .no point in playing each game out

I agree that too many RPGs toss in these zany new card game mini games and they all blow

edit: as a CCG game, literally whoever has better cards wins. You can encounter people with decks that are just unbeatable until you start to buy cards. That's not really a game. Every peasant in the Witcher Universe must be retarded to play this game. And everyone plays.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

gasman posted:

The ending is determined via a Gwent tourney where you have to beat the top players of the Wild Hunt.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gwent, the true pan-dimensional scourge of man and elf.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Have you looked in the potion section?

Woops, guess I really was thinking of something else

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

FallenGod posted:

The ending is determined via a Gwent tourney where you have to beat the top players of the Wild Hunt.

That would be loving amazing, just as a dialogue option hidden before the very last fight where you could challenge the dude to one final game of Gwent during the middle of the entire scenario going on around you.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

This is the first weird RPG in world game thing I've ever enjoyed. Mostly because you can actually beat people with better decks if you use some solid tactics. I mean you're not going to beat the best people or even great ones with the starter deck but you can beat a surprisingly large number of the quest guys and merchants with only a few additions.

Solartide posted:

Monsters seem pretty powerful, the muster ability and is OP and their racial is solid.

Problem is monsters get wrecked by weather cards and over emphasize melee. I mean I like the way it plays but Niflgaard/North seems much better balanced.

Jack2142 posted:

I like Nilfgard more because it has more healer units allowing to keep bringing back cards from previous rounds. In my deck I have 6x healer cards on top of 3x spies so its great. I just want the hero elf spy guy I NEED HIM.

That makes sense. Healer cards are amazing. Hahah, every time someone plays that spy on me I get pissed I can't win him.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Northern realms has a non-heroic 1 strength siege spy card.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Northern realms has a non-heroic 1 strength siege spy card.

Where do I get that?

Choccy Starfish
Oct 5, 2012
Welp, I've just spent the last two hours walking around Novigrad, just taking in the sights and sounds.

The devs have set the bar really high for any of their competition. Extremely well made game, you can just feel the makers poured their heart and soul into the making of it.

I hope they enjoy all the plaudits and awards, as much as I'm enjoying their game.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

This is the first weird RPG in world game thing I've ever enjoyed. Mostly because you can actually beat people with better decks if you use some solid tactics. I mean you're not going to beat the best people or even great ones with the starter deck but you can beat a surprisingly large number of the quest guys and merchants with only a few additions.

the problem is that you have no clue what kind of deck someone has until after the game has begun. It's like agreeing to a 10 mile race and then lining up at the starting line with your foot on the line and your opponent lines up in their car.

That's not a fun mechanic. You start to get that peasants and inn folk have lovely decks and nobility have good decks. So you basically just steam roll the lovely people until you amass a deck for hte good people. Not really a lot of strategy to that

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Where do I get that?

From the Innkeeper at Arinbjorn in Skellige

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Where do I get that?

I don't remember exactly, but the card is Thaler.

I find it funny that all the undercover members of the various spy organisations are cards in a popular card game. Real good job staying undercover there guys.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I was reading that people said you should never drop Witcher gear because of upgrades. Is there any reason to be dragging around my starting swords at level 10? Anything I need to keep?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
When do the choices you made in Witcher 2 start to affect how 3 plays out? Just gotten to Novingrad after finishing up the first main part of Velen and haven't really seen any reflection in those choices yet.

Just wondering since I imported a save and wanted to make sure it worked ok.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Harlock posted:

I was reading that people said you should never drop Witcher gear because of upgrades. Is there any reason to be dragging around my starting swords at level 10? Anything I need to keep?

Your starter gear won't matter but the Griffon/Cat/Bear gear you get from later treasure hunts you'll want to hold onto in the long run.

Orv
May 4, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

When do the choices you made in Witcher 2 start to affect how 3 plays out? Just gotten to Novingrad after finishing up the first main part of Velen and haven't really seen any reflection in those choices yet.

They don't, mostly. A couple of the choices impact the end game of 3, in who you can call to assist you with the final battle stuff. Othewise they're just side quest material.

Quoting myself because I'm right.

Orv posted:

Nothing you did (or chose, more specifically) has any overall impact on the narrative of Wild Hunt. Loc Muinne is a disaster even if you prevent the massacres, Radovid slips further into madness because, well, he doesn't really have a choice in the matter, and the Emhyr's plot to drive the North to the brink of civil war and ruin either goes off scott free and Temeria is defenseless, or goes off with a few hitches and Temeria is intact but still massively weakened. Aedern is almost a non-factor by W2 anyway, and Kaedwen has no army to speak of by the end of W2 regardless of your choices.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 26, 2015

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

All over the place already have you been doing sidequests lots of W2 people show up there unexpectedly. Most major choices don't matter too much as time has passed and one man can only influence the world so much.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Orv posted:

They don't, mostly. A couple of the choices impact the end game of 3, in who you can call to assist you with the final battle stuff. Othewise they're just side quest material.

Would any of those side quests be showing up yet? Also would it affect how dialog plays out between characters met so far?

Orv
May 4, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Would any of those side quests be showing up yet? Also would it affect how dialog plays out between characters met so far?

You can hit at least one of them before reaching Novigrad in Lindenvale (where apparently literally everything happens). Most of the others branch off Novigrad quests. Dialogue on characters that more or less didn't exist in W2 or didn't count as a major choice is relatively unchanged.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Madcosby posted:

the problem is that you have no clue what kind of deck someone has until after the game has begun. It's like agreeing to a 10 mile race and then lining up at the starting line with your foot on the line and your opponent lines up in their car.

That's not a fun mechanic. You start to get that peasants and inn folk have lovely decks and nobility have good decks. So you basically just steam roll the lovely people until you amass a deck for hte good people. Not really a lot of strategy to that

I mean, its never that hard to just forfeit the match if you're wildly outclassed. I get that people don't enjoy it and that's cool but I find myself spending more time with it than anticipated.

The Crooked Warden posted:

From the Innkeeper at Arinbjorn in Skellige

Thanks

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Madcosby posted:

Gwent sucks. there's literally no reason to play the game out. The computer should just say "THIS DECK IS BETTER YOU WIN/LOSE" .no point in playing each game out

I agree that too many RPGs toss in these zany new card game mini games and they all blow

edit: as a CCG game, literally whoever has better cards wins. You can encounter people with decks that are just unbeatable until you start to buy cards. That's not really a game. Every peasant in the Witcher Universe must be retarded to play this game. And everyone plays.

It's a money/time sink. :ssh:

Harlock posted:

You can always just reforge the original.

I don't understand how people are bumping up against the 130 lb carry weight. I'm carrying a library and a fully stocked workshop and an alchemy lab and I'm at 36 pounds. Deconstruct your junk, junk is really heavy and the crafting materials you deconstruct from it are really light.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Madcosby posted:

I dunno, I just played against a guy and it took me three tries to beat him even though he had a much better deck than me

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
Whistling Wendy noooo, why you gotta play me like that. :(

I loving love how there are mini-scenes for talking to quest-involved NPCs though, instead of them turning into lumps of coal the second their spelled-out target in your quest log is addressed. The world feels so loving alive I can't stand it.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 26, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I have a crash issue where my display driver keeps crapping out when I go talk to the witch that was supposidly fighting with Ciri

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm about 25 hours in and just got to Novigrad.

Enjoying the pens and vagina graffiti on the wall next to Triss's house.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Gwent is stupid. So was Blitzball. All little minigames within games are stupid.

I mean, just look what this crossdressing elf-dandy has to say and tell me you care more about your dumb not-Magic The Gathering game.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't understand how people are bumping up against the 130 lb carry weight. I'm carrying a library and a fully stocked workshop and an alchemy lab and I'm at 36 pounds. Deconstruct your junk, junk is really heavy and the crafting materials you deconstruct from it are really light.

Better yet, just sell junk to the nearest inn. Especially pelts. Novigrad will give you the most coin for stuff, but it also the most expensive. Buy stuff out in the boondocks if you must. Also if you are even just a mild kelpto, where you just loot points of interest and hidden chests in places like crows perch you'll have more than enough crafting components for anything you want.
Junk is rarely ever worth the effort to dismantle. Maybe stuff like rings with jewels and silver stuff.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Since we were just talking about his card Thaler's little mission is loving great. Cursing trolls are a god drat delight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a money/time sink. :ssh:

You can always just reforge the original.

Also, the weight counter on the dismantle screen doesn't update. So even though you're dismantling your junk and it looks like nothing's happening, wait until you go back to the inventory screen and suddenly are on 25/90 instead of 90/90.