Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'd put HHH vs Jericho up there, mainly because it was positioned horribly as a co-main with Hogan vs Rock.

Even so, does it really deserve to be considered among Cena/Miz, Hogan/Andre, Hogan/Bundy, Hogan/Sid, Hogan/Slaughter, and Orton/HHH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

AlmightyPants posted:

It's very common on NXT shows. And that's not a problem with any of these people's work, it's just part of adapting to the WWE system. Better to make mistakes in developmental in front of a crowd that adores everyone (except Corbin, who had to scurry over Rhyno after his finisher on the last Takeover) than on the main roster where Kevin Dunn will have a hissy fit because you weren't in position for his cameras or whatever.

Also now that I've pointed it out you're more likely to be aware of it.
Austin says on his podcast that he always ignored the orders to play to the hard camera. Now I gotta check old matches and see if I notice this.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
My votes are for either Hogan/Sid, Hogan/Slaughter or Cena/Miz.

I Before E posted:

Even so, does it really deserve to be considered among Cena/Miz, Hogan/Andre, Hogan/Bundy, Hogan/Sid, Hogan/Slaughter, and Orton/HHH?

I think Hogan/Andre gets a pass, even if it's hardly a catch-as-catch can spectacle, it's one of the biggest matches of all time with a nuclear hot crowd.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Bigass Moth posted:

Sid-undertaker is horrendous.

Ah yes a match so bad even Sid shits on it :haw:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

I Before E posted:

I don't know what to tell somebody who thinks Hogan/Andre was a horrible main event. It is great for what it needed to be and was the draw for a massive show. If you're poo-pooing it because it doesn't measure up to today's standards that's not realistic or fair.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sid/Taker is a bad match that follows one of the best matches of all time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'd put HHH vs Jericho up there, mainly because it was positioned horribly as a co-main with Hogan vs Rock.

Also the booking was just such a foregone conclusion that it sucked. I mean, maybe HHH was a super babyface elsewhere, but everyone I was there with liked our Canadian boy Jericho and was sad to watch his run on top get put down.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Does Hogan snatching back the title from Yokozuna in less than a minute even count?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

How is the answer anything but Hogan/Sid? The finish is a DQ from a botched run-in

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

WeaselWeaz posted:

I don't know what to tell somebody who thinks Hogan/Andre was a horrible main event. It is great for what it needed to be and was the draw for a massive show. If you're poo-pooing it because it doesn't measure up to today's standards that's not realistic or fair.

Tell them that while work-wise yes it was terrible, it made the people watching extremely happy, and the point of entertainment is to make the people watching happy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Even Hogan/Slaughter worked in the building. It's probably Sid/Taker.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Great White Hope posted:

the point of entertainment is to make the people watching happy.

(Bursts through your living room window spraying glass into your face)

I DISAGREE SIR AND FURTHERMORE ILL HAVE YOU KNOW AVNVJTJEISJCJGKE

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
As a dirty foreigner, Bam Bam/LT for me. Forearms! And the wrestler does the job for the guy who's never coming back. Gj, WWF.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Purple Monkey posted:

What is generally considered to be the worst Wrestlemania main event ever?

Hogan Yoko

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It may not have been the main for the PPV viewers, but Dave was just talking about how Nassau Coliseum got to witness the infamous Piper/Mr T boxing match as their WrestleMania 2 main event.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Purple Monkey posted:

What is generally considered to be the worst Wrestlemania main event ever?

Taylor/Bigelow

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

How is the answer anything but Hogan/Sid? The finish is a DQ from a botched run-in
What was the booking rationale behind this match anyway? It completely smacks of Hogan politicking, but I'm wondering if it was the DQ finish or the card placement that was affected.

Like I could see Hogan saying how he'd lose for his "retirement," but no way could he do that unless it was the main event, brother. And then Vince not willing to end Wrestlemania with a heel going over (back in the '90s), so they come up with the weird DQ. So in the end Hogan neither puts anyone over nor gives up the main event slot. I just pulled this theory out of my rear end with no actual knowledge but it sounds like a perfectly believable Hogan move.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 26, 2015

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Minidust posted:

What was the booking rationale behind this match anyway? It completely smacks of Hogan politicking, but I'm wondering if it was the DQ finish or the card placement that was affected.

Like I could see Hogan saying how he'd lose for his "retirement," but no way could he do that unless it was the main event, brother. And then Vince not willing to end Wrestlemania with a heel going over (back in the '90s), so they come up with the weird DQ. So in the end Hogan neither puts anyone over nor gives up the main event slot. I just pulled this theory out of my rear end with no actual knowledge but it sounds like a perfectly believable Hogan move.

Steroids loomed large.
There's a theory Sid kicked out as a shoot, brother.

But really Hogan was retiring and Shango botched the run in timing so Harvey was used

Sid was being protected as the new Monster Heel

Then he left lol

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 26, 2015

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I've heard that Shango's run-in being botched was intentional, to screw over Hogan by havng Sid kick out of his finisher and look very strong despite losing by DQ.

It can't be emphasized enough that Sid was being VERY well protected during this period.
He even went over the Undertaker relatively CLEAN on TV shortly after WM8.
He really was supposed to be the Next Big Thing. Then he left to go play softball.

And yeah, I don't see how anyone could call anything but LT/Bigelow or UT/Sid as the worst WM main event of all-time.
WM11 was awful, and in front of the lowest drawing live crowd and worst arena of any WM (Hartford Civic Center), and the main event did neither guy any favors (and they'd both be gone never to be seen in WWE ever again by WM12). On the plus side, the match is decent by celebrity match standards.
WM13 has lowest buyrate of any WM, period (and will likely never be matched), the match itself is completely awful, and preceded by perhaps the best match in WWF history.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 26, 2015

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
LT - Bigelow match is a funny one because like said eariler by celebrity match standards it's pretty good but it really has no business main eventing a Wrestlemania

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's probably the best celebrity match ever in WWE that isn't Big Show vs Floyd Mayweather.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think Hogan-Bundy is way worse than anything cited.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
When did WWE start having commercial breaks between matches?

edit: during

Liam Emsa fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 27, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

Sid vs Hogan was planned to be the main event a year earlier when Vince promised it to Sid as a way to get him to leave WCW so that match being the main event wasn't a last minute thing. They wanted to set up house show main events with it mainly.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Liam Emsa posted:

When did WWE start having commercial breaks between matches?

Between or during?

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Oops, during. lol.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Around the Attitude era they would have big mid card battles that would often go to commercial.

Man I loved LT vs Bam Bam as a kid though so i'm 100% on the best celeb match train.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i thought the attitude era was the one time that they didn't often have mid-match commercials because all the matches were 2 minutes long

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Spermgod posted:

i thought the attitude era was the one time that they didn't often have mid-match commercials because all the matches were 2 minutes long

This is right for most of 1998 and 1999. They usually went through all the ad breaks so that even the main events weren't interrupted. I do remember a Rock & Sock vs Dudleys match in the fall of 99 having a commercial break, and I was really surprised as this almost never happened, and this was early in the Dudleys run and they weren't super over at the time.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I watched a Raw from 1995 the other day and I believe that it had a commercial break during the first match. That's the earliest I know of.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The best celebrity match: http://www.wwe.com/videos/rowdy-roddy-piper-and-rob-dyrdek-prepare-for-their-match-at-wrestlemania-axxess-25015417

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I'm pretty sure Flair vs Perfect on like the third episode of Raw from 93 went through a couple of commercial breaks.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
This was a pretty common commercial trope in the New Generation era - heel wrestler is on commentary, and the face he's feuding with is in the ring. Heel on commentary says "I'm going to do something about him right now" and he stands up, an incredulous Vince says "Sit down! Get back here, hey! Don't you dare- we'll be right back!!" and they come back and the heel is just sitting down talking again, or pacing outside the ring.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Wow that really was.

Dyrdek really sold that knee from ryder. :D

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Nowadays they go to commercial whenever someone hits a plancha. It's gotten silly enough where most *every* face has a drat plancha, like they can't figure out any other way to let Cole go "Will Fill in the Blank be able to put away Interchangeable Heel? We'll find out when Raw rolls on!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Did we ever find out for certain who Willie the Worker was?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Am I tripping, or in WWE is the Spanish announce table only ever shown on PPVs where it gets broken?

And in kayfabe, why do they take the monitors out the announce tables since it would hurt more, right? I just pretend Vince will fine them tons o' cash if they break a monitor but tables are cheap.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Did we ever find out for certain who Willie the Worker was?

RVD.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Am I tripping, or in WWE is the Spanish announce table only ever shown on PPVs where it gets broken?

And in kayfabe, why do they take the monitors out the announce tables since it would hurt more, right? I just pretend Vince will fine them tons o' cash if they break a monitor but tables are cheap.
"I want to put this guy down but I don't want to literally sever his spinal column on this sharp metal edge"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They take out the monitors so we don't have to see cringe-worthy poo poo like this