Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

McSpankWich posted:

Guys I made that wolfe pit beef again yesterday, it continues to impress me every time. it has for sure replaced pulled pork in my spot for shredded meat sandwich fodder.

I need to make this again, it really does rival pulled pork for a good sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Cimber posted:

took it off at 5:30, let it rest until 6. Final temp was 195. Pulled it and ate it. I didn't hear anything from my guests except the sound of them chewing. Mission success. Half of it is now gone. Had close to 1 inch smoke rings. Will post pictures later.

Congrats on your first successful smoke. :hampants: :zoid:

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Question for all you WSM owners out there. I've been on the fence between the 18.5 and 22.5 models for a while now and was hoping to get some guidance from those of you who have cooked on them. My main concern is that I plan on cooking packer briskets and slabs of spare ribs and it seems like people have issues fitting these into the 18.5 without some kind of finagling. Whats the low down? Can I get by with the smaller smoker or should I just go straight for the 22.5.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
If you're cooking just for a few people more often than not, go with the 18.5. It's easier on fuel and takes up less space. If those are not concerns of yours, or if you cook big cooks often, then go with the larger one.

The 22.5 is great for the one or two times a year when I do a big smoke for 20-30 people. The rest of the time I wish I had a smaller one so I didn't need to run through a bag of charcoal for a single pork shoulder. I'd also smoke more as I wouldn't feel like I was wasting potential by doing one or two racks of ribs instead of filling it up to the tits with meat. This mindset makes me do big smokes a few times a year and freezing BBQ for later. BBQ freezes very well, but small frequent smokes would be better for developing skills and testing new recipes.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Tivac posted:

I've been making http://seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/quick-barbecue-beans-recipe.html with success for a bit. I use just navy beans though, that get more tender than the larger brands the recipe calls for.

I ended up going with Alton Brown's baked beans; but with one can of cannellini beans, one can of pinto, and two cans of great northern, instead of a pound of dry great northern beans. I also used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, because that's what I had, and one of my friends is allergic to one of the main ingredients of vegetable broth. I reduced the amount of liquid by a cup to try to avoid having to cook them for 6-8 hours, but I probably could have taken another cup out, as it still took about 4 hours to not be bean soup.

I smoked them under two packs of hebrew nationals for about an hour and a half, then cut up and mixed in the dogs and tossed them into the oven for another hour and a half. From there they went into a buffet tray(chafing dish? Whatever they're called) for the remainder of the evening, where the sauce finally thickened.

They were pretty delicious, and were almost completely eaten before the sauce had a chance to properly thicken. I will definitely be making these again!

I didn't take any pictures, because I was drunk for almost the entire process...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

AK-47 posted:

Question for all you WSM owners out there. I've been on the fence between the 18.5 and 22.5 models for a while now and was hoping to get some guidance from those of you who have cooked on them. My main concern is that I plan on cooking packer briskets and slabs of spare ribs and it seems like people have issues fitting these into the 18.5 without some kind of finagling. Whats the low down? Can I get by with the smaller smoker or should I just go straight for the 22.5.

I have an 18.5 and use it exclusively for family sized bbq settings (10 people maximum). At times I feel like the 22 would be better as the 18.5 is a bit narrow for brisket or a full rack of ribs but this thread has plenty of ways to circumvent those issues that I have had good results from so it's not a big deal. If I was cooking for larger groups I would say the 22 is worth it but otherwise I think you'll just be needlessly wasting charcoal. I love my 18.5 and it is perfect for my needs, but your needs may be different.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Just get the 22.5 and if you want to conserve charcoal, get a smaller charcoal ring or use a coffee can in the middle of the 22.5 charcoal ring. Even when I would plan on smoking just a pork shoulder or a couple racks of ribs, my friends and neighbors would always show up with something to put in the smoker too, from vegetables to make salsa, a container of beans, or bologna, or hot dogs, or a pizza or whatever. It's better to have a little too much space than to run out.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Speaking of size constraints, I smoke on an 18.5 WSM and obviously that means no whole hog.
But, since I love whole hog, I decided to try a "whole hog hack" - smoking pork shoulder, belly, ham and ribs.

Obviously if it's not all in the same skin it's not quite the same, but I'd say it was pretty good, and noticeably different than eating a shoulder on it's own.

Also made some pickles and mustard sauce.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Beautifully plated

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Woof! Woof! posted:

Speaking of size constraints, I smoke on an 18.5 WSM and obviously that means no whole hog.
But, since I love whole hog, I decided to try a "whole hog hack" - smoking pork shoulder, belly, ham and ribs.

Obviously if it's not all in the same skin it's not quite the same, but I'd say it was pretty good, and noticeably different than eating a shoulder on it's own.

Also made some pickles and mustard sauce.

What was the pickle recipe? They look tasty.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ants moved into the handle on my Weber smokey mountain, I took the handle apart and there were eggs and ants everywhere :gonk:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I did my first set of ribs this weekend. They came out a little dry, but still really good.

All I did was basically rub the badboys down, throw them in the smoker for 3.5 hours at 225 with some hickory smoke.

I'm sure there is something I did wrong. They were not like sawdust and still had some juice, but were not 'fall off the bone'.

E: I did salmon last night that came out awesome. Brined for 3.5 hours in Brown Sugar/Salt Water and then drizzled on some rosemary infused honey and smoked at 2.5 hours until it reached internal temp of 140 - sat in foil for 30 minutes until it hit 145. Delicious.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Proper ribs should not fall off the bone. When you bite you should be able to pull the meat off the bone, but it should take a little effort.

I don't think 3 hours at 225 is enough unless they were really small baby backs. How did your determine they were done? Also, did you remove the membrane?

Call me a heretic but I foil my ribs. I generally do 3 hours unfoiled, 1-2 hours foiled, and 1 hour unfoiled and sauced to build up a nice glaze. When I foil them I put in a few tablespoons of apple juice and some honey on the ribs to bring out the sweetness.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I just followed a recipe I saw on one of the meat smoking forums.... so it wasn't too scientific.

E: It was only one rack of ribs cut in half to fit the smoker. There wasn't a ton of meat in there.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 26, 2015

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Regnevelc posted:

I just followed a recipe I saw on one of the meat smoking forums.... so it wasn't too scientific.

E: It was only one rack of ribs cut in half to fit the smoker. There wasn't a ton of meat in there.

The best way to tell if ribs are done is by handling them, it takes a while to really get a feel for it, but generally speaking on a whole rack of ribs, if you pick them up with a pair of tongs, they should bend and you should see cracks form on the surface of the ribs. Half racks you can figure the same thing out for, they just will a slightly different bend test benchmark because they don't have the same weight to bend the rib. You can foil ribs, but you don't need to if you're patient—321recipes and stuff are fine, but IMO the better, simpler recipe is to put them in a 225 smoker till they're done.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just make sure you pull the membrane off the back of the ribs. Thankfully most people like fall off the bone ribs so if you overlook it'll be your little secret.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
BBQ With Franklin.

Episode 1 - Brisket

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365494916/

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Just make sure you pull the membrane off the back of the ribs. Thankfully most people like fall off the bone ribs so if you overlook it'll be your little secret.

My friends and neighbors are like that. If they aren't falling off the bone they don't want them. Meanwhile, I'm eating the rack I cooked perfectly for me while they all make comments about how tough and chewy my ribs look.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

sellouts posted:

I've tried it both with and without the membrane and haven't noticed any difference in the flavor or texture of the meat.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Thanks everyone, my next ribs will be better. Although, I ate the poo poo out of the rack anyway.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I've tried it both with and without the membrane and haven't noticed any difference in the flavor or texture of the meat.

IDK but every time I've eaten baby backs with the membrane on them it's pretty annoying. It's like a thin piece of paper is stuck to the bottom.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah idk how you're not noticing the texture of membrane it is pretty evident.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have any good tips for removing the membrane? It seems like it is always a pain to get it to come off in less than 1000 pieces.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Trastion posted:

Anyone have any good tips for removing the membrane? It seems like it is always a pain to get it to come off in less than 1000 pieces.

It really depends on the quality of the meat you're getting to begin with. Sloppy butchery will lacerate the membrane and then it's a pain in the rear end.

I usually just see if there's a little flab on the side I can pinch in the middle of the width of the rack and then cautiously pull it off. If there isn't, dig in with a dull knife's point to get between the first bone and the membrane and then repeat. Lots of YouTube tutorials for this recommend getting a paper towel to get a better grip on the membrane, but I usually just have a kitchen towel on the side to dry off my fingers after every rack I de-membrane.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

While I'm at it, I don't think I've ever contributed any pictures to this thread, and since I recently stumbled across both my old imgur account, as well as my folder with a ton of mostly unsorted pictures of all the smoking/grilling I did in the last couple of years since I got a smoker.

Here's my prized (cheap) possession, "Ashley Ironside", a regular Char Broil Silver Smoker that I pimped out with some nifty upgrades and a whole lot of unnecessary, white trash ones.

http://imgur.com/a/BZIsF

Here are a shitton of mostly unsorted pictures ranging from the time where I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing to the point where I had wrapped my head around how to run a smoker that loses a ton of heat basically everywhere.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the briskets, butts, bacon or Haxn (whatever that is in english) that I have in a separate folder back home. I'm really starting to miss smoking things and I've only been in the US for a little over 5 months now.

http://imgur.com/a/pS1Q1

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

While I'm at it, I don't think I've ever contributed any pictures to this thread, and since I recently stumbled across both my old imgur account, as well as my folder with a ton of mostly unsorted pictures of all the smoking/grilling I did in the last couple of years since I got a smoker.

Here's my prized (cheap) possession, "Ashley Ironside", a regular Char Broil Silver Smoker that I pimped out with some nifty upgrades and a whole lot of unnecessary, white trash ones.

http://imgur.com/a/BZIsF

Here are a shitton of mostly unsorted pictures ranging from the time where I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing to the point where I had wrapped my head around how to run a smoker that loses a ton of heat basically everywhere.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the briskets, butts, bacon or Haxn (whatever that is in english) that I have in a separate folder back home. I'm really starting to miss smoking things and I've only been in the US for a little over 5 months now.

http://imgur.com/a/pS1Q1

drat son. You doing God's work right here.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

BraveUlysses posted:

IDK but every time I've eaten baby backs with the membrane on them it's pretty annoying. It's like a thin piece of paper is stuck to the bottom.

sellouts posted:

Yeah idk how you're not noticing the texture of membrane it is pretty evident.

I probably didn't phrase that very well. It is obvious when you bite into a rib that doesn't the membrane removed. I kind of like that little snap personally. What I was getting at was that I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the taste or texture of the meat on the bone. Some people like to argue that it doesnt allow the smoke or the rub or whatever to fully penetrate the meat. That said, I usually do remove it just because most people are used to eating the ribs sans membrane. But whether it is on or off is probably like the least important aspect of making good ribs.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Very nice collection of photos Duzzy. I really need to get some bricks like you have, for when I use my weber kettle.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

While you're at it, if you're looking for a sparerib-holder, there's an Ikea plate organizer made of stainless steel called "Rationell Variera" (at least in Europe), for around 6 bucks that works wonders and costs about half as much as Weber models AND is of variable size, so you can adjust it depending on the size of your racks and placement on the grill.
Should be available via Amazon in the US as well.

TeffaBob
Feb 2, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

While you're at it, if you're looking for a sparerib-holder, there's an Ikea plate organizer made of stainless steel called "Rationell Variera" (at least in Europe), for around 6 bucks that works wonders and costs about half as much as Weber models AND is of variable size, so you can adjust it depending on the size of your racks and placement on the grill.
Should be available via Amazon in the US as well.

That is an awesome idea, I'll have to pick one of these up next time I'm there.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Canuckistan posted:

BBQ With Franklin.

Episode 1 - Brisket

Thanks for posting these! I don't have a brisket handy, but I'm going to try his method for pulled pork today. I tend to do a more KC-style pulled pork (but less sweet), so it's quite a departure from how I normally cook it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

BBQ With Franklin.

Episode 1 - Brisket

One of these days...when I've made it and money isn't an issue...I'll have Stump from Stump's Smokers build me a Smoker Trailer with upwards of 6 tires, a proper suspension and competitive shocks.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Note that stump will be dead by then.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Thanks for posting these! I don't have a brisket handy, but I'm going to try his method for pulled pork today. I tend to do a more KC-style pulled pork (but less sweet), so it's quite a departure from how I normally cook it.

Trip report: tastes fantastic, very peppery and smoky. VERY different from my normal bbq, but I 'd have a hard time deciding which I like better. It came out a tiny bit dry, which I think is primarily because I didn't get a rump with enough fat on it and ran it a bit too hot.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Couple quick questions:

I'm smoking a whole bunch of stuff tomorrow. Ribs, beans, shrooms, salmon. I know salmon's supposed to be at 140 when it's pulled out. Does that mean I shouldn't put the smoker higher than that? I've never done salmon before so I have no idea.

My friend is bringing his smoker tomorrow too so I can easily just do the veg and fish in one at a lower temp, but I was just wondering. Also, will fish impart a taste on whatever else is in there?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Couple quick questions:

I'm smoking a whole bunch of stuff tomorrow. Ribs, beans, shrooms, salmon. I know salmon's supposed to be at 140 when it's pulled out. Does that mean I shouldn't put the smoker higher than that? I've never done salmon before so I have no idea.

My friend is bringing his smoker tomorrow too so I can easily just do the veg and fish in one at a lower temp, but I was just wondering. Also, will fish impart a taste on whatever else is in there?

Don't smoke the salmon with the other stuff or it'll all taste fishy. Also 140 is simply not high enough temp to do ribs at so don't even try. Use both smokers. The fish in one and everything else in the other.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Crazyeyes posted:

Don't smoke the salmon with the other stuff or it'll all taste fishy. Also 140 is simply not high enough temp to do ribs at so don't even try. Use both smokers. The fish in one and everything else in the other.

Cool, thanks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My parents have a wood burning fireplace in their house and have wood delivered a couple of times a year. I was wondering if it would be suitable to use in a smoker or whether sticking with wood chips is a better idea? I'm not certain of the wood but I think some is sycamore and poplar

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Depends on what kind of smoker you have, you can run an offset box or trailer smoker entirely off wood logs, which is what most competition teams do. If you're using like a WSM or something you can't load it with straight up wood, you have to use charcoal with wood chunks or chips. That being said, depending on what type of wood they have delivered to them, you could just split it up into chunks and use it. It has to be a hardwood though, like hickory, oak, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its a WSM equivalent so no offset smoker. The wood comes in chunks rather than full logs so cutting it down any smaller turns it into kindling rather than wood to burn for a while. I couldn't say if its hard or soft wood though I can probably find out