Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Oops, double post.

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

That's awesome. I'm confused on how some of the LEDs are lit.

If you're already stripping away everything behind the front plate, it's not hard to throw a few LEDs in there for fun.

Hell, you could even rig up an Arduino or something if you wanted a few blinky lights. You could even rig it to do a "boot sequence" with the LEDs when powering on/off via the power supply switches too.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Gerdalti posted:

The right answer to this poo poo is always to say "We can deliver the original project Monday as promised, or you'll need to rework the timeline completely." Not standing your ground on things like this just means you will be living this hell until you learn. And chances are you will have to learn somewhere else. Managing expectations is key to not being a doormat in this industry.

An alternative is also "ok, but I'm also giving you my notice, this is not how I want to work." It's a little ballsier, but if the company expects you to work that way, you'll burn out quickly anyhow.

I've tried to backbone and at some points, the only alternative is refusing to do a task and getting written up. After all the manual poo poo I had to do in reprocessing a bunch of invoices through SQL after politics stopped our SQL DBA/DW guy from doing it (he's outsourced and all billables to him were cut, including support of the DW itself, ~fun times~) and the fact that no merit increases happened this year, I should have taken the writeup.

I told my boss the same thing when they've basically had me doing helldesk while figuring out for the last 6 weeks whether they want to hire a junior or more experienced replacement for the fired helldesk dude, but it hasn't spurred anyone on. The boss and HR are furious that they had to put off hiring at the same person who cut the billables (I seriously think our CFO is setting us up for a buyout) and it's got me in :yotj: mode unless something changes.

You can backbone all you want but unless your'e prepared to exit on the spot, it's going to come down to "do it or else."

Sham I Am posted:

No. When he asked he also offered a nice sized bonus (relatively speaking) if I did it. Plus I asked for and got 2 extra paid days off the next week. And his wife cooked me food all weekend long, which was pretty boss.

He was a bad planner, but all in all not a bad boss when it came to this sort of thing, at least not for the 2 years I worked there. He knew when he was asking a lot, didn't try and take advantage, and generally made up for it when he did. Where he was lacking was common sense; I left when he fired the sales guy (we only had the 1) and didn't sell anything himself for weeks, then started sitting us down and bitching when we had like 12 billable hours between 4 of us in a week. Pretty crappy actually, because up to that point it was an awesome job.

He was a pretty good boss and to be honest, I probably would have done the work without a bonus if he had asked, just because he always took care of us and never tried to take advantage.

I envy your :unsmith: boss. It's rare to see bosses at least realize they're putting undue hardship on their employees and doing what they can to compensate.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If you're already stripping away everything behind the front plate, it's not hard to throw a few LEDs in there for fun.

Hell, you could even rig up an Arduino or something if you wanted a few blinky lights. You could even rig it to do a "boot sequence" with the LEDs when powering on/off via the power supply switches too.
There are only a few used ports there, it could still be functional with a tiny consumer grade router/switch wired to a few of the ports so they have activity.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When is there going to be an Arduino or similar easy-to-do method of hooking up power switches and lights for the ATX version of the IMSAI Series Two? http://www.imsai.net/

Edit: Also meanwhile, apparently snake people like to use a lot of butt services https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/millennials-to-snake-peop/jhkibealmjkbkafogihpeidfcgnigmlf?hl=en-US

MJP fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 26, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MJP posted:

Edit: Also meanwhile, apparently snake people like to use a lot of butt services https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/millennials-to-snake-peop/jhkibealmjkbkafogihpeidfcgnigmlf?hl=en-US

If I keep installing these I'm going to eventually end up with unintelligible articles about how Snake People and Skeleton Warriors are Fighting in the Butt.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If I keep installing these I'm going to eventually end up with unintelligible articles about how Snake People and Skeleton Warriors are Fighting in the Butt.

I won't rest until I can't tell the difference between browsing the internet and playing Final Fantasy. :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm not seeing the problem.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A mystery came in.

I got into work and went to my office and there's a camera bag sitting next to my desk with a note on it.

Mysterious note posted:

This camera will not turn on for some reason. Please fix ASAP. Thanks.

Ooh... how delightfully unhelpful you are, note. I try to replicate the issue and, sure enough, the camera will not turn on. After trying several batteries and plugging it directly into an outlet with no success, I came to the conclusion that "poo poo is hosed up and poo poo."

Maybe whoever checked it out can tell me mo... oh, no one has used the equipment sign out sheet in over a month.
Maybe the news director can tell me who ha... oh, he doesn't know.

Wait! I'll check the camera's SD card and see if there's any evidence! I pop it in my computer, and sure enough, there's tons of video footage.

Tons of video footage... of... rain.

Pouring rain.

Torrential rain.

They were filming rain, while standing in the rain, and there's apparently no sign of a rain cover on the camera.

GEE, WHO COULD EVER SOLVE THIS loving MYSTERY. I WONDER WHY THE CAMERA WON'T TURN ON.

(Now I've got two managers pissed at ME over the camera being broken.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

(Now I've got two managers pissed at ME over the camera being broken.)

:wtc:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Improper rain-related training.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Nature of the beast. Everyone treats everything like poo poo because they can just page Engineering and whine that such-and-such doesn't work and then I'll effortlessly apparate in their doorway, disappear to my technical wonderland with the offending device, wave a magic wand and speak the special incantation, and the device is just good as new. Go ahead, break literally everything you ever touch because I've got enough magic to cast my repair spell all day long!

The second this fantasy isn't a literal reality, I get bitched at for not being able to fix it. Sorry, rear end in a top hat, I can't magic away water damage and warranty doesn't cover that poo poo. Now you don't have a camera and it's MY fault?

My supervisor never registered the camera to extend the warranty to three years. The basic one year warranty ran out in February.

He wants me to play dumb and try to get them to honor a warranty repair on a device not under warranty by saying I didn't know you had to register it to get the warranty and that the device didn't come with any documentation stating otherwise (it clearly did, It's sitting right here). Sorry, rear end in a top hat, I'm not going to try and convince someone I'm an inept dumbass just so the company can save money on a repair that they won't do in the first place because THE loving CAMERA IS FULL OF WATER

Bigass Moth posted:

Improper rain-related training.

You joke, but we specifically purchased rain covers for every camera. Every camera bag has a rain cover in it. They were instructed and trained several times on how and when to use them. They're just lazy pieces of poo poo who believe their "magic fixy-man" fantasy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

larchesdanrew posted:

He wants me to play dumb and try to get them to honor a warranty repair on a device not under warranty by saying I didn't know you had to register it to get the warranty and that the device didn't come with any documentation stating otherwise (it clearly did, It's sitting right here). Sorry, rear end in a top hat, I'm not going to try and convince someone I'm an inept dumbass just so the company can save money on a repair that they won't do in the first place because THE loving CAMERA IS FULL OF WATER

I loving hate when I get asked to lie to vendors about stuff that makes me look like a loving idiot just because somebody forgot something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's when you go away for an hour and gently caress off, then go right back and lie to their loving face and say it didn't work and they won't accept the device.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

GreenNight posted:

That's when you go away for an hour and gently caress off, then go right back and lie to their loving face and say it didn't work and they won't accept the device.

I do this all the time. Then he calls behind me and pesters them for HOURS until they accept it; not because they believe his lie, but because they're probably just sick of dealing with him. I'm just not that kind of person. We didn't get the extended warranty, the device is broken in such a way that warranty won't cover the repair, poo poo happens, deal with it.

I'm not going to compromise my own self-respect and sense of worth so the company saves any amount of money.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

An email came in:

quote:

Good Afternoon,

On Thursday, May 28, there will be a rabbit in the building. This is not a joke. The rabbit will be in a cage and kept in the conference room during training. If you have concerns, questions, etc. please let me know. Thanks.

Yes, I have a concern. I am concerned that I will not be able to pet the rabbit since I'm not part of the training. :3:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sirotan posted:

An email came in:

Yes, I have a concern. I am concerned that I will not be able to pet the rabbit since I'm not part of the training. :3:

Of course being IT you will have to go to the training to make sure the projector or something works. :) They want you there when you don't need to be so now its your turn to want you there when you don't need to be. AND WE WANT PICTURES!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

I do this all the time. Then he calls behind me and pesters them for HOURS until they accept it; not because they believe his lie, but because they're probably just sick of dealing with him. I'm just not that kind of person. We didn't get the extended warranty, the device is broken in such a way that warranty won't cover the repair, poo poo happens, deal with it.

I'm not going to compromise my own self-respect and sense of worth so the company saves any amount of money.

I wonder what his hourly fully loaded cost is, and how much money his effort will ultimately save.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

An email came in:

Tell them that the rabbit is Sirotan dressed up as a rabbit, and not an actual rabbit.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

My last boss was awful about this. Server's out of warranty, it busted, he won't let me just put in a quote request - I had to literally call support and get them to confirm IN WRITING VIA AN EMAIL TO ME WHICH I WAS TO FORWARD TO HIM that it was out of warranty.

I get the need to justify costs but if you don't trust the people making calls and require that much extra hoop to jump through, it's insulting.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

A ticket came in:

"I talked to our IT and they say the bad hop on the MTR has no bearing on the call quality issue we are having with our SIP lines. Both endpoints look fine so call quality should be fine."

Traces show bad inbound RTP with lots of packet loss at customers end and bad inbound RTP on the carriers end. I wonder what the issue could be.....

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Alighieri posted:

A ticket came in:

"I talked to our IT and they say the bad hop on the MTR has no bearing on the call quality issue we are having with our SIP lines. Both endpoints look fine so call quality should be fine."

Traces show bad inbound RTP with lots of packet loss at customers end and bad inbound RTP on the carriers end. I wonder what the issue could be.....

Hah, that's like the call I had with Comcast (with a client) recently. Apparently VoIP phones don't require internet to work. So the random 5-10 second outages the client is experiencing with their Comcast connection are not related to the dropped calls they are suffering, and its a server/phone system problem.

And the client believed it.

I hate my life.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Siochain posted:

Hah, that's like the call I had with Comcast (with a client) recently. Apparently VoIP phones don't require internet to work. So the random 5-10 second outages the client is experiencing with their Comcast connection are not related to the dropped calls they are suffering, and its a server/phone system problem.

I hate my life.

If the grass in my front yard was dying and the landscaper said that it was Comcast's fault, I'd believe my landscaper.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If the grass in my front yard was dying and the landscaper said that it was Comcast's fault, I'd believe my landscaper.

"They told me I was getting packet floods so I turned off my sprinkler. Now my lawn is dead"

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Siochain posted:

I hate my life.

If you encounter AT&T they block 5060 UDP (unsure about TCP, only every use UDP SIP signaling) automatically and you have to call in to have them remove the block. Even on business fiber.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

:shepicide:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

So would I. But the client believed Comcast that VoIP didn't need internet.

Alighieri posted:

If you encounter AT&T they block 5060 UDP (unsure about TCP, only every use UDP SIP signaling) automatically and you have to call in to have them remove the block. Even on business fiber.

Yeah. We just switch people to TCP when that poo poo happens. Seems to get around it. Goddamn ISP's.

Siochain fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 27, 2015

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Alighieri posted:

Which is loving insane because their own IP Flex VoIP service requires 5060 UDP.

Oh... I get it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

You joke, but we specifically purchased rain covers for every camera. Every camera bag has a rain cover in it. They were instructed and trained several times on how and when to use them. They're just lazy pieces of poo poo who believe their "magic fixy-man" fantasy.

I loving hate being asked to do things like lie to tech support about equipment. Oh no Cisco, this video conference camera just stopped working for reasons that having to do with the obvious dents. I'm sure the camera should make a rattling sound when moving.

Cisco told me that wasn't covered, boss got pissy about it said he'd take care of it. He goes in this office, calls them and I can seem him on the phone and getting really agitated. 20 minutes later he says they are a bunch of fuckers and storms off. I wanted to hug that cisco person for standing up to that.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has anyone ever successfully implemented a BYOD policy and not encountered:

-idiots buying below-spec laptops to try and pocket the difference and then crying to us when their $400 laptop is not under warranty or doesnt perform well enough for the job they do
-idiots bringing in their home laptop claiming they bought it that day to try and capitalise on the entirety of the BYOD allowance
-idiots not understanding the 'we are going to format the machine and reimage it absolutely nothing on there will exist when you get back' contract they sign

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Laserface posted:

Has anyone ever successfully implemented a BYOD policy and not encountered:

-idiots buying below-spec laptops to try and pocket the difference and then crying to us when their $400 laptop is not under warranty or doesnt perform well enough for the job they do
-idiots bringing in their home laptop claiming they bought it that day to try and capitalise on the entirety of the BYOD allowance
-idiots not understanding the 'we are going to format the machine and reimage it absolutely nothing on there will exist when you get back' contract they sign

That sounds like the worst thing.

There are days when I'm p. happy with my job's "thin client" approach to everything; I technically have a work laptop, but it's a 4-year-old Macbook Air that's been gathering dust on my nightstand that only moves when I want a computer when we're on vacation to plug into the hotel TV to stream Netflix from.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm a Unix Engineer. I could literally do 98% of my job with a Raspberry Pi, since I generally only need a shitton of terminal sessions.

So, of course I have a mid-2014 15" Retina Macbook Pro with the quad core i7, 16GB of RAM, and 500GB SSD.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm a Unix Engineer. I could literally do 98% of my job with a Raspberry Pi, since I generally only need a shitton of terminal sessions.

So, of course I have a mid-2014 15" Retina Macbook Pro with the quad core i7, 16GB of RAM, and 500GB SSD.

Yeah I traded down for the Air from a Pro because I didn't want to be assed with hauling it home every day.

Then I got an 11" for my own personal use and just use that when I'm not in front of my tri-monitor setup at home. Terminals and tmux everywhere.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Scrap OSX and use i3 like God intended

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm a unix sysadmin/devops/programmer and I run a shitton of vagrant VMs along with my 100 iterm windows and 1000 chrome tabs, so I got a fully loaded rMBP.

Plus I need to be able to watch streams at work, those eat a lot of CPU too.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Sirotan posted:

You don't work for a Danish radio station, right?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thankfully, no.

We don't do BYOD, and if we started, people would :yotj: out of here in a hurry.

I have a maxed out W530 for work, running a bunch of VMs for engineering and testing.

Next hw refresh I'll switch to a lighter laptop for service work and add a regular workstation for when I'm programming or doing CAD work.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

gently caress me, today it finally happend. I received at PDF containing a scanned image of a printed email.

(Containing a bunch of numbers that I now have to type out manually :argh:)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ok I discovered why there is going to be a bunny in training tomorrow. Someone in the group has a rabbit they need to give up and someone else that lives across state has agreed to adopt him. So he's going to chillax in the training room for the day before he goes to his new home. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ursine Asylum posted:

That sounds like the worst thing.

There are days when I'm p. happy with my job's "thin client" approach to everything; I technically have a work laptop, but it's a 4-year-old Macbook Air that's been gathering dust on my nightstand that only moves when I want a computer when we're on vacation to plug into the hotel TV to stream Netflix from.

I forgot "I have a Mac, can I use a Mac? Can I buy a Mac?" (entirely windows environment)

I mean I am a Mac guy and Certified to support them but you cant hit even close to our required specs (i5/256GB SSD wifi + LAN and 3yr onsite warranty) for the budget if you go Mac.

The 3yr warranty thing basically means "Just buy a Yoga or X1 Carbon or a Surface Pro if you feel like making your life unnecessarily frustrating" but no one seems to get it.

• Locked thread