Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Discendo Vox posted:

Bane Fight
Bane's charges kill scruffy, and for good(bad) reason- this move is one of the biggest offenders for the game's iffy hit detection. If the game decides that Bane needs to hit you, he'll turn on a dime and abruptly move at double speed to connect with you. The radius at which you can safely dodge from the charge is erratic at best. Something not shown in the video is that you basically need to stay in the center of the arena- otherwise, Bane will miss you with a charge, hit the wall, turn, and hit you on the rebound while you're still performing the first dodge. The same can actually happen even if you get hit the first time- Bane will gladly take half your lifebar off without any opportunity to respond.

Banes charge is actually really easy to dodge. Run straight at bane and then juke off on a diagonal and run right past him. This puts you on opposite sides of the arena, setting up the next dodge, and behind bane so he can't turn fast enough to hit you. The fact that the game flashes the tutorial on the dodge move, however is just painful. The move is just way too slow for the speeds bane moves at, and whether that's the intended use or not it's borderline sabotage to suggest it the way the devs did.

Re: Banes motivation
I always figured Batman and Bane had some traumatic history explained in the mounds of dialogue I didn't read, given that in the assassin reel batman clearly knows bane, and from everything bane says its clear he knows batman. To be told that it's comic book stuff that isn't referenced anywhere in game is just mind boggling levels of WHY.

hard counter posted:

Instead of doing this it's probably a good idea to remember that the ultimately humble praise of best writing in the series doesn't even imply that the writing was good in AO, only that some posters think its writing was better than its peers'. That sort of mild praise could even be faintly damning in the minds of some.

I think the best indication of the writing in the previous games is that people talked about Bane as a character in asylum, in this very thread even. He literally exists to show people where the super venom joker got his hands on came from and is promptly discarded from the plot, never to be seen or used again 5 minutes after his introduction. Same with City, he hands you a sidequest, you turn in the sidequest and he's captured. His involvement was basically zero and was only interesting because it had a single fight where a third party was involved mechanically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

FoolyCharged posted:

I think the best indication of the writing in the previous games is that people talked about Bane as a character in asylum, in this very thread even. He literally exists to show people where the super venom joker got his hands on came from and is promptly discarded from the plot, never to be seen or used again 5 minutes after his introduction. Same with City, he hands you a sidequest, you turn in the sidequest and he's captured. His involvement was basically zero and was only interesting because it had a single fight where a third party was involved mechanically.

Even in those games, Bane's motivations and role in the plot are clear, and his absence is also explained. The fact that Bane didn't have a dedicated central role in the plot wasn't a defect- it's like complaining that every sidequest wasn't a full game in its own right.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude posted:

That could be simply a result of being insane, some kind of mega-bipolar disorder. On one side, she's a brilliant psychologist but on the other she's doing everything she can to please Joker.
That's the thing: she's not. She's a poo poo psychologist. Distancing yourself from the client is a crucial part of any working counseling, especially when working with potentially dangerous people.
I realize comic books aren't exactly known for doing their research, but this is one of the most obvious mistakes they could have made: anyone behaving like Harley in this game wouldn't be let anywhere near a client, and definitely not work in a loving prison. Psychologists have to go through training that forces them to face this kind of issue; the entire idea of her backstory is completely pants-on-head retarded.

edit: Regarding the present discussion, Bane is the black hole number two. He's present in all three games but I feel he doesn't overstay his welcome there - here, hoo boy. I guess it's down to personal preference but I honestly find him really boring.

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Even in those games, Bane's motivations and role in the plot are clear, and his absence is also explained. The fact that Bane didn't have a dedicated central role in the plot wasn't a defect- it's like complaining that every sidequest wasn't a full game in its own right.

A Knightfall game would have been bad rear end as hell though, to be fair.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

anilEhilated posted:

That's the thing: she's not

It's a matter of Informed Competence. She's /supposed/ to have a fully fledged doctorate in psychiatry - she's Dr. Harleen Quinzel for a reason - but then the writers make her a fawning airhead for Joker, writing her like she's a dropout.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Are you troping over there?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

RE: Harley, imho she's most frequently depicted as someone's who is extremely intelligent but possesses very low or at least very unstable cunning. I feel like writers who cannot see the distinction between the two will paint her as outright stupid when they're having a go at her and it can be very damaging to her character when they manage to make long-lasting changes to her backstory/personality that suit this perception. While I'm not sure of Harley's current history (or the specifics of the one they're using in the game), she was at one point she was reduced to sleeping around at university for grades and thus entered Arkham a young and barely qualified bimbo who was easily duped & seduced by the first psychopath with the barest flicker of charm.

The arkham games seem like they've picked up on Harley's intelligence/cunning situation but in general it's been written very poorly - the Harley DLC in City being the worst culprit here imho. Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if the unstable cunning portion of her character was dropped since it seems like a number of writers can't handle it at all so this little facet is doing more harm than good.

That said, I did like some parts of the verbal exchange between Joker and Harley during the ace chemicals sequence. It would've worked best as a time compression of numerous sessions at arkham but it's alright as is given the nature of this series imho.

Edit:

Discendo Vox posted:

Even in those games, Bane's motivations and role in the plot are clear, and his absence is also explained.

Bane's issues in asylum and city were that he was reduced to portraying a nearly mindless muscle-bound brute somewhat along the lines of his embarrassing movie debut in Schumacher's Batman & Robin. It showed essentially a reverse of the dangerous and canny strategist the character is best known for and most popularly depicted as. While it's not as though he's playing a machiavellian chessmaster in Origins, this game does a lot to mend Bane's portrayal in the arkham series as we might see in the upcoming videos.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 25, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Discendo Vox posted:

Well yes, that was my point. He was a justification for plot monsters and a sidequest giver by role and thus had little to no characterization because he wasn't a big screen time character. In spite of this we've seen people complain about more bane, despite there being almost no bane in the previous entries

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

God that scene with Harley was so, so, so bad. Jesus loving christ, even if she wasn't supposed to be a psychologist that writing would be poo poo. Harley assuming that he's talking about her is dumb because in real life, when you try to make somebody like you, you don't lay it on so thick. They established that she's an idealistic social worker type with her line about the cops always beating up poor criminals, they could have had Joker play to her sympathies through that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My only complaint with Bane in previous games is that he's dumb as a rock.

"Here, Batman, why don't I show you all of the TITAN I've been secretly collecting and then try to kill you by running at you AFTER telling you what I'm about to do."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"Here, Batman, why don't I show you all of the TITAN I've been secretly collecting and then try to kill you by running at you AFTER telling you what I'm about to do."

Oh how I want to comment on this.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He's basically every trope that gets made fun of in The Incredibles. "Oh ho ho! You caught me monologuing!"

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Harley Quinn's part in Origins was almost really good, except that the execution was awful. In Arkham Asylum she was pulled in over repeated sessions, and Origins condenses all of that into one sitting, approximately 20 minutes after he's rolled into Blackgate for the first time, and she's just left alone with him instantly after he's murdered how many people?

That scene would have gone better if it had just been a different psychiatrist (or a team or even Jonathan Crane) and he goes through the sequence and when he opens his eyes at the end they're all staring at him like :stare:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

bassguitarhero posted:

Harley Quinn's part in Origins was almost really good, except that the execution was awful. In Arkham Asylum she was pulled in over repeated sessions, and Origins condenses all of that into one sitting, approximately 20 minutes after he's rolled into Blackgate for the first time, and she's just left alone with him instantly after he's murdered how many people?

That scene would have gone better if it had just been a different psychiatrist (or a team or even Jonathan Crane) and he goes through the sequence and when he opens his eyes at the end they're all staring at him like :stare:

Have crane notice the horrified expression of his colleagues and then lock eyes with the joker for an instant and you have a winner.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wasn't that because Paul Dini doesn't like Bane, and thus has only written him as a brute when he has to use him?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh how I want to comment on this.

If it's in relation to this game, I have some disappointment about how Bane is used here, too. But I'll get into that once he's wrapped up his importance.

Technowolf posted:

Wasn't that because Paul Dini doesn't like Bane, and thus has only written him as a brute when he has to use him?

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 25, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

correct.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I started watching you Arkham City LP around two weeks ago to remind myself where I left off. In the meantime I have beaten AC and today I finished Origins. So as somebody that played both in the last 2 weeks (Bat-Unemployment Gadget:( ) I can easily say that Origins is mostly disappointing. The story was pretty solid (Joker overload/non-focus on the assassin angle notwithstanding), seeing more of Gotham was nice, and the shockgloves are an amazing power fantasy.

A bit more time for the mapdesigners, a bit more time for the makers of the overworld map, a bit more polish on the combat and this game could have been truly great; as it is it mostly left me soured. And while I can't say I'm good at the Arkham combat I still got frustrated with the somewhat erratic behavior in Origins breaking flow and combo's. :argh:

Great LP's though and if you have a specific need for a co-commentator that has a fresh look on both games let me know. :v:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Have crane notice the horrified expression of his colleagues and then lock eyes with the joker for an instant and you have a winner.

I'm now sad that this didn't happen.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I've sometimes think Bane, especially without the venom, would make a way better good guy than bad guy.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
A guy who's trained to physical perfection, with a keen detective mind, be a hero? Please...

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I don't really understand anything that happened between Bane and Joker in the last update.

If Bane was just using the Joker to get at Batman, and cared not for the bounty, why would he pay any attention to the Joker's request for a minute with Bats? If Bane actually wants the money, why did he blow the Joker up? Also he had his men kill a bunch of the Joker's goons???

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

That's the thing: she's not. She's a poo poo psychologist. Distancing yourself from the client is a crucial part of any working counseling, especially when working with potentially dangerous people.
I realize comic books aren't exactly known for doing their research, but this is one of the most obvious mistakes they could have made: anyone behaving like Harley in this game wouldn't be let anywhere near a client, and definitely not work in a loving prison. Psychologists have to go through training that forces them to face this kind of issue; the entire idea of her backstory is completely pants-on-head retarded.

edit: Regarding the present discussion, Bane is the black hole number two. He's present in all three games but I feel he doesn't overstay his welcome there - here, hoo boy. I guess it's down to personal preference but I honestly find him really boring.

I think in one of the comics that dealt with her backstory beyond her as Joker Sidekick/Booty Call was that she was abused as a child and therefore she was vulnerable to someone like Joker who was good at brainwashing. Another example of how comics can't write a decent female character without having some sort of tragedy that is either child abuse, rape (physical, mental, psychic or otherwise) or some form of domestic violence.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Re: Banes motivation
I always figured Batman and Bane had some traumatic history explained in the mounds of dialogue I didn't read, given that in the assassin reel batman clearly knows bane, and from everything bane says its clear he knows batman. To be told that it's comic book stuff that isn't referenced anywhere in game is just mind boggling levels of WHY.

I always assumed it was a misunderstanding, and Bane's brain was just addled from years of injecting ultra-'roids.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

I don't really understand anything that happened between Bane and Joker in the last update.

If Bane was just using the Joker to get at Batman, and cared not for the bounty, why would he pay any attention to the Joker's request for a minute with Bats? If Bane actually wants the money, why did he blow the Joker up? Also he had his men kill a bunch of the Joker's goons???

The best I've got is that the Joker was firing an assault rifle at him by the time bane fired the rocket.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Joker was toying with a bomb plunger that was labelled "Royal" when he asked for a minute, and they were still in the Royal hotel I'm pretty sure. Bane was like "This guy is crazy enough to blow us all up, and I'll still probably get what I want if I give him a minute or whatever."

Then later he was like "man gently caress that guy" and shot a rocket at him.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news, I made it back home and my apartment wasn't robbed. Have an update!

Towering Failures/Polsy

As an aside I am super enjoying the discussion about Joker and Bane being a black hole in this game. Even if I also disagree with Vox about the Firefly fight. To quote Arkham Asylum, please continue my work!

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 26, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fun fact about the radio tower shown in this video, you can make it inside without the glue grenade with a good dive bomb and glide. The game will sadly not let you proceed inside if you do this before the game wants you inside the tower, and you can't open the door at the end of the waterway.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I find it oddly fitting that Electrocutioner was voiced by Steve Blum, the voice of expendable goons everywhere.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Does anyone else think that the scene between Alfred and Bruce in the last video was supposed to happen earlier? The tone is way different from what was happening earlier, and by now Bats has met Joker and knows it was he who hired the assassins, not Black Mask.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think they're trying to force the assassins still being a factor on you given what's going to happen next - with the exception of Bane they'd be completely irrelevant to the plot past this point.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Technowolf posted:

Does anyone else think that the scene between Alfred and Bruce in the last video was supposed to happen earlier? The tone is way different from what was happening earlier, and by now Bats has met Joker and knows it was he who hired the assassins, not Black Mask.

Yeah, not gonna lie, that really felt out of place, especially considering that Alfred was still in the 'you're going to be stupid and I can't stop you' mood when Batman showed back up to the batcave.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The Disruptor got stopped by that fence between you and the guy with the gun. I mean, it didn't stop his bullets from reaching you, but oh well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I think they're trying to force the assassins still being a factor on you given what's going to happen next - with the exception of Bane they'd be completely irrelevant to the plot past this point.

Nah, there's a second one of the assassins that actually gets a decent amount of the plot to himself.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

The Disruptor got stopped by that fence between you and the guy with the gun. I mean, it didn't stop his bullets from reaching you, but oh well.

Scruffy's ability to hit every obstacle between him and the guy he's trying to disarm will never stop being funny.

Tajuh
Jul 15, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Scruffy's ability to hit every obstacle between him and the guy he's trying to disarm will never stop being funny.

And it wouldn't have been a problem if the disruptor was like it was in AC, since IIRC you only needed to be in range of them in that game. None of this 'Line of sight, no obstacles' nonsense.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You're way in over your head with these assassins whom you've pretty much beaten entirely at this point with minimal difficulty!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Jimmy4400nav posted:

They were sponges, they didn't put them on the joker's head before the electric chair fired. Normally for these kinds of executions they're supposed to do that to better conduct electricity and kill the person faster, but since they didn't, he burned to death, that whole last part is a homage to The Green Mile where some guards "forgot" the sponge for a really vicious criminal before he was put in the electric chair.

*Edit drat ninja's by one minute!*

It wasn't "some" guards and it wasn't "a really vicious criminal". It was the rear end in a top hat, small-evils guard and the guy that got fried was the dude that adopted the pet mouse. The same guard also put the sponge on his head but didn't wet it, and tried to claim ignorance of it.

But yeah, it's an homage to that.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Isn't Firefly the only assassin left?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Bane, you could say, is still at large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

citybeatnik posted:

It wasn't "some" guards and it wasn't "a really vicious criminal". It was the rear end in a top hat, small-evils guard and the guy that got fried was the dude that adopted the pet mouse. The same guard also put the sponge on his head but didn't wet it, and tried to claim ignorance of it.

But yeah, it's an homage to that.

Oh shoot, you're right, my bad, I haven't seen the movie in a really long time, I got some of the characters and sequences mixed up. Thanks for the correction.

• Locked thread