Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flosofl posted:

Ugh. 10 hour days.

6:30 - 2:30 with the understanding that I take any late meetings from my home office (if I'm not already working from home). I love it because I'm a morning person, and *mostly* miss the Chicago area rush hour both ways. Traffic is still heavy, but no stop and go bullshit which would turn my 30-35 minute commute to a 60-90 minute hell-ride for the days I go into the office.

Not exactly. I arrive around 7:45, and leave just before 4, getting home around 5:45. My work is very understanding about hours, but I'm pretty much stuck for this if I want to see my kids, short of moving (no) or changing jobs (no).

Most people start rolling in around 10 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Not exactly. I arrive around 7:45, and leave just before 4, getting home around 5:45. My work is very understanding about hours, but I'm pretty much stuck for this if I want to see my kids, short of moving (no) or changing jobs (no).

Most people start rolling in around 10 or so.

Wait. Your commute is an hour and 45 minutes?

Holy poo poo. Do you have any options to work out of a home office?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

flosofl posted:

Wait. Your commute is an hour and 45 minutes?

Holy poo poo. Do you have any options to work out of a home office?

I have two small children. This is the least stressful choice.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Wife be like "thanks"

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Are commutes getting more gnarly in a world where we're supposed to be working from anywhere?

I'm in the same boat as Volmaris. There is no way I could get work done in my house right now. I'd have to hire office space or go to the library for some peace.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Maniaman posted:

Our SCCM setup is... special... to say the least. For them to pick up the post-install software they have to be powered on and connected to the network for 24 hour for the collections to update and software to start installing.

You can force this on the client by going into Configuration Manager Properties in the Control Panel, and running the policy retrieval cycle.

As for commutes I love to sleep in on my days off. I force myself out of bed at 9:30 so I won't miss an entire day, and I'd sleep until noon if I didn't have an alarm clock set. I still love getting up at 6 on weekdays and leaving for work around 7. I get into work around 7:45 and get off early too. Then I can go home and have a decent bit of day left. It's not all that important in the summer, but when winter comes you'll love every bit of daylight you can get.

My "standard" hours are:
Mon: 08:00 - 15:30
Tue: 08:00 - 15:30
Wed: 08:00 - 15:30
Thu: 08:00 - 17:00
Fri: 08:00 - 13:30

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

At my last job I worked from 10:30 to 19:00 but had a 1.5h commute. Now I work from 7:30 to 16:00 and I have a 15m commute.

I miss the old days.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Swink posted:

Everyone uses Slack now. Chat has come full circle.
My work still uses xmpp/jabber. We recently moved to Office 365, and they thought they'd just be able to set up persistent chatrooms in LyncSkype for Business, but didn't find out until they tried to implement it. I'd suggest Slack, because literally everyone else in the tech industry seems to be using it, but since they didn't come up with the idea I'm pretty sure they won't care.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

Does gateway have the .ssh/config set up in such a way that it continues forwarding credentials? I’m not a unix wizard, but kerberos auth might not be automagically forwarded like ssh keys are with proxycommand.

e: Yep, just tried it with mine. If you change it to:

<snip>

then it should allow a full passthrough with no auth queries. You just need to add an additional Host line for each host you ProxyCommand to in the chain on your initial host.

Had that all set. Turns out it's a weird DNS/Kerberos interaction because of how our old network manager (now 4 years gone, and we're still trying to decipher his perl scripts) set things up.

Hourschat: I used to do 10-6, but just recently started coming in 8:30-4:30 after a bout of insomnia and I'm finding it's really quite good. I don't get to lie in, but I'm not as knackered when I leave work.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How do you setup a persistent Lynx chat room?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

How do you setup a persistent Lynx chat room?

If you're talking Lync/Skype for Business, I think you just need the appropriate rights to create a chat room and just create it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

You should be aware that the tech sector is one of the few where candidates can generally afford to reject the "We're job creators, you should be grateful for any scraps we deign to hand out" attitude that some business owners and CEOs apparently espouse. People in these fields do not just want jobs, they want careers, and appropriate compensation to go along with them. The attitude that a skilled, educated candidate should just be happy they're employed for any amount of money is really pretty vile, and if you honestly believe that then I feel comfortable calling you a terrible person to work for.

As dennyk said, if you're really running your business so close to the edge that you literally cannot afford the difference between what you're offering and market rate for a single employee, then I would seriously consider examining your finances and business plan because you have bigger problems than the lack of a graphic designer. For my part, if I were looking for a job and a business came to me with, "We literally cannot afford to pay what you're asking," I have two reactions:

1) Bullshit, we're talking about a few thousand dollars a year, this should not be an issue for any vaguely healthy business of any size, you're lying to save money.
2) If this is really the case, holy poo poo, eject eject eject, the business is on the verge of going under and I do not want to be on board when it does.

My job is evaluating the prospective workload to see if they can hire a more junior helpdesk guy to replace the one they fired back in mid-April, or if they should cough up for someone with more experience.

In northern NJ, this is around a $4k difference max.

the guy they fired was on the junior side as well
:yotj:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

My job is evaluating the prospective workload to see if they can hire a more junior helpdesk guy to replace the one they fired back in mid-April, or if they should cough up for someone with more experience.

Northern NJ, like Bergen county? A friend of mine currently works for a small brokerage firm, about 40 people, and he's the do it all IT Guy. He's sort of looking around for a new job, he'd definitely meet your expectation of "someone with more experience", and he's probably not terribly expensive. Maybe I could get you two in communication?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Northern NJ, like Bergen county? A friend of mine currently works for a small brokerage firm, about 40 people, and he's the do it all IT Guy. He's sort of looking around for a new job, he'd definitely meet your expectation of "someone with more experience", and he's probably not terribly expensive. Maybe I could get you two in communication?

From the rest of MJP's posts, the company is getting prepped for sale, so it's probably not a good move for your friend.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

From the rest of MJP's posts, the company is getting prepped for sale, so it's probably not a good move for your friend.

Ah. My friends company is getting prepped for a sale. The senior partners/owners are prepping to retire, and they brought in a new CEO that has it out for my friend, so he's looking at his option.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

To be honest, it'd be a weird time for a near-term sale, given we just signed a lease for a big-rear end new construction downstairs. Until they hire someone I am actively looking elsewhere, but if they restart hiring I may throttle back my search unless Something Good comes up.

If your friend is into being a helpdesk/desktop person, and desirous to basically try for a sysadmin role in the future, he'd be the type that meets my boss and my guidelines. However, I have no clue when they'll resume hiring. Shoot me a PM with your friend's preferred contact info. We aren't hiring yet but it never hurts to have the info and to network a little. But yeah, we're in Rutherford, right on 17 North just off of 3.

Re: commute chat, even before they termed my helpdesk guy my boss used to let me work remote on sick days but I think they wanted to put a kibosh on the hopes of the position turning telecommute. It turned into "OK, just let me know when you're not busy" to "I'd rather have you getting better if you're not feeling well, go ahead and take the sick day"

I'd kill to be in some kind of flex arrangement for the days I wake up on the earlier side. Traffic avoidance is a wonderful thing when your commute is the Jersey Turnpike. :-(

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

MJP posted:

I like that if you follow the chain-o-quotes back on this one, you end up at a post complaining that someone was fired under false pretences (presented as redundancy when really it was a performance-based dismissal) and that the lie is backfiring.

I really don't understand that one. If it was the US, just fire them; that's what the ridiculously employer-biased employment laws are for. If it was the UK, that was hella-illegal and whoever was involved from HR (if anyone was) should be fired along with the other employee.

e: and obviously it's a stupidly passive-aggressive way to fire someone anyway. Seems like whoever was responsible for that needs a backbone transplant.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 26, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

If your friend is into being a helpdesk/desktop person, and desirous to basically try for a sysadmin role in the future, he'd be the type that meets my boss and my guidelines. However, I have no clue when they'll resume hiring. Shoot me a PM with your friend's preferred contact info. We aren't hiring yet but it never hurts to have the info and to network a little. But yeah, we're in Rutherford, right on 17 North just off of 3.

I'll talk to him, how far are you from the train station?

PM Box is full

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 26, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rolleyes posted:

I like that if you follow the chain-o-quotes back on this one, you end up at a post complaining that someone was fired under false pretences (presented as redundancy when really it was a performance-based dismissal) and that the lie is backfiring.

I really don't understand that one. If it was the US, just fire them; that's what the ridiculously employer-biased employment laws are for. If it was the UK, that was hella-illegal and whoever was involved from HR (if anyone was) should be fired along with the other employee.

e: and obviously it's a stupidly passive-aggressive way to fire someone anyway. Seems like whoever was responsible for that needs a backbone transplant.

Seems like that's what happened - but he was "just fired" with a lie that it wasn't the guy's fault. Chances are there may be some mitigating circumstance that causes the company to be averse to liability, e.g. "your performance was bad" could be construed by a hungry lawyer to be "we fired you because you were %protectedclass% and this is an arbitrarily construed fault-based reason" as opposed to what they pulled: "we had to eliminate your position, it wasn't because of you" and that has given the guy false hope. Not knowing if OP's manager was constrained by a paranoid HR department/corporate counsel, it's as Jello-spine as it gets. Hopefully it's not just a lovely manager.

When they termed my helpdesk guy they were at least explicit: it was for performance. Which is why nobody was surprised when he brought back the ancient on-call laptop and his Doberman puppy had chewed the keyboard.

I'll talk to him, how far are you from the train station?

PM Box is full

They'd have to walk about ten minutes, not including crossing 17. They may be best served by keeping a bike chained up at the station. There's a shuttle bus for the complex to/from Secaucus but it leaves exactly at certain times that don't quite mesh up with the normal schedule for the position.

PM box was just purged, my bad.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The worst part about a three day weekend? It's not a four day weekend. :smith:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

rolleyes posted:

At will employment also protects employees. This forum presents a non-reality-based view of US employment law and practice. Most companies won't "just fire people" without cause ("cause" in this case meaning a documented history of disciplinary or performance problems).

The difference between the UK and the US in this case is that, in the UK, they document it because the burden of proof in case of unfair dismissal is on them -- they must prove they followed proper procedure. In the US, the burden is on the employee -- they must prove they were wrongfully terminated. Whether false pretenses or not, the same thing could happen in the UK if they documented your dismissal as a redundancy and defended it as such, illegal or not. In the US, it doesn't matter as long as policy and procedure was followed, since there's no obligation to retrain or anything else here.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

Seems like that's what happened - but he was "just fired" with a lie that it wasn't the guy's fault. Chances are there may be some mitigating circumstance that causes the company to be averse to liability, e.g. "your performance was bad" could be construed by a hungry lawyer to be "we fired you because you were %protectedclass% and this is an arbitrarily construed fault-based reason" as opposed to what they pulled: "we had to eliminate your position, it wasn't because of you" and that has given the guy false hope. Not knowing if OP's manager was constrained by a paranoid HR department/corporate counsel, it's as Jello-spine as it gets. Hopefully it's not just a lovely manager.

When they termed my helpdesk guy they were at least explicit: it was for performance. Which is why nobody was surprised when he brought back the ancient on-call laptop and his Doberman puppy had chewed the keyboard.

They'd have to walk about ten minutes, not including crossing 17. They may be best served by keeping a bike chained up at the station. There's a shuttle bus for the complex to/from Secaucus but it leaves exactly at certain times that don't quite mesh up with the normal schedule for the position.

PM box was just purged, my bad.

My friend drives, I was just curious. I take the train from Ridgewood to Hoboken every day and always see Rutherford and get jealous of anyone that gets on the train there since it's one of the last stops.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
:siren:

:toot: in progress. Salary negotiations are in progress before I even leave the airport.

:siren:

Sorry, this is something that doesn't piss me off for once.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

got a 5 minute commute each way. cant imagine more then an hour, thats so much time wasted from my life driving that could be spent enjoying life.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Stealthgerbil posted:

got a 5 minute commute each way. cant imagine more then an hour, thats so much time wasted from my life driving that could be spent enjoying life.
I've always thought that I want my commute to be under 15 minutes, or in that 50 to 90 minute range. Either make it so short that it's a non-event, or long enough that I'm listening to audiobooks and getting use out of the trip. It's the "25 minutes if I leave at the right time, 55 minutes if I don't" trip that I want to avoid.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Stealthgerbil posted:

My commute via train is one hour each way and I love it. I get two hours each day to read or watch whatever I want. I have two kids at home so when I'm there I don't get any time to myself.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Commute chat: Mine is about 30 minutes door to door, but it's broken up kind of miserably, 2 minute walk to train, 0-10 minute wait for train, 8 minute train ride, 0-10 minute wait for another train, 8 more minutes, 2 minute walk from train to desk.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My commute is 18 miles and I'm able to do it in 25 minutes like clockwork unless a fairly major accident or road closure happens. For half of my commute in the morning (later half) and half in the afternoon (first half) I'm running counter-flow to the normal traffic patterns which is great. On the way home I can silently gloat at all the people sitting in standstill traffic waiting to go through the tunnels while I zoom home at 70mph.

Protip. If you ever move to the Pittsburgh area, live north. Any other direction, you will hate your life.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
My commute is 5 seconds if I don't bother to stop for pants most of the time.

When I actually need to be in the office, it's 45 minutes if I leave before/start back after rush hour, which usually leads to 12 hour days in the city...but it's downtown SF and it means I can spend 4 hours bumming around until traffic clears up and it's maybe once a month, so it's not so bad.

I hate rush hour traffic enough that I'm willing to wake up at 6 in the morning and leave work at 7 just to avoid it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm about 45 minutes door to door - short walk to the station, 25 minutes on the train, 3 minute walk down to the tube, 10 minutes on the tube, short walk to the office.

I still try and work from home where possible.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I walk to work. I did 55 highway miles each way for over a year, and I now experience PTSD sometimes when I drive on the highway.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

evol262 posted:

At will employment also protects employees. This forum presents a non-reality-based view of US employment law and practice. Most companies won't "just fire people" without cause ("cause" in this case meaning a documented history of disciplinary or performance problems).

The difference between the UK and the US in this case is that, in the UK, they document it because the burden of proof in case of unfair dismissal is on them -- they must prove they followed proper procedure. In the US, the burden is on the employee -- they must prove they were wrongfully terminated. Whether false pretenses or not, the same thing could happen in the UK if they documented your dismissal as a redundancy and defended it as such, illegal or not. In the US, it doesn't matter as long as policy and procedure was followed, since there's no obligation to retrain or anything else here.

The term you're looking for here is 'laid off'. Companies that aren't doing big enough sales numbers have to lay off staff in order to be able to make their payments to the bank for the building's rent, the water bill, staff wages, etc.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My commute's about 25 minutes from downtown to the Northwest side of the city combined. Surprisingly, being able to leave at 8:00 since I start at 8:30 makes a world of difference with traffic.

As to those who spend more than a half-hour driving I have no idea how you do it day after day. Job stress is more than enough and I don't need to deal with traffic on top of it nor is my employer paying for my car.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
For about four years I've been walking to work. Last place was about a mile, but uphill most of the way. This one is 1.1 miles but it's flat so that will mean less sweating in the summer. It amazes me that in a place like L.A. I've had two jobs in a row I could walk to. I have to drive my car a few times a week just to keep the battery alive.

The only downside is the shitload of close-calls from idiot loving goddamn motorists. I've been within a foot of being run over many times, including actual contact with cars while in a marked crosswalk at a red light with a walk signal in my favor.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I used to bike to work and on bike path that nearly went up to the building.

I miss those days but I'd rather live downtown and drive to work.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

evol262 posted:

The only reason this is true is due to liability concerns. In the US, it's generally perfectly legal to fire someone with zero notice at any time for any reason except membership in a protected class, or for no reason at all. However, if a terminated employee turns around and sues the company for wrongful termination, even if it's unwarranted, it will cost the company less money with their third party lawyers or fewer hours from their in-house legal department to get the case dropped if they have a paper trail showing "poor performance". All that really gains an employee is a little more warning before they're out on their rear end, though, and that's assuming the employee is both observant and cynical enough to see the signs and realize what's coming.

The only thing that at-will employment provides an employee is the right to leave a job whenever they want, and even then, if you don't give whatever is considered "proper notice" in your industry, you could end up screwing your reputation and hurting your chances at future jobs. At-will employment puts the balance of power solidly on the side of the employer, because most employers have far more than one employee and can easily survive one person's departure with little or no disruption, while most employees have only one job and many of them would lose access to food and shelter fairly quickly if they were to lose that job.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

A3th3r posted:

The term you're looking for here is 'laid off'. Companies that aren't doing big enough sales numbers have to lay off staff in order to be able to make their payments to the bank for the building's rent, the water bill, staff wages, etc.

No, it isn't. That entire post had absolutely nothing to do with that, and was in direct response to terminating someone under false pretenses. Termination and "laid off" are not the same thing, and the procedures companies go through for each are drasticallyh different.

dennyk posted:

The only reason this is true is due to liability concerns. In the US, it's generally perfectly legal to fire someone with zero notice at any time for any reason except membership in a protected class, or for no reason at all. However, if a terminated employee turns around and sues the company for wrongful termination, even if it's unwarranted, it will cost the company less money with their third party lawyers or fewer hours from their in-house legal department to get the case dropped if they have a paper trail showing "poor performance". All that really gains an employee is a little more warning before they're out on their rear end, though, and that's assuming the employee is both observant and cynical enough to see the signs and realize what's coming.
In general, employees who are going to be out on their rear end aren't observant enough anyway. But yes, it's liability concerns, which were overtly covered in the second half of the post you quoted.

dennyk posted:

The only thing that at-will employment provides an employee is the right to leave a job whenever they want, and even then, if you don't give whatever is considered "proper notice" in your industry, you could end up screwing your reputation and hurting your chances at future jobs.
It depends on how small the market is for your industry and how much people may talk outside of official reference calls, but dismissing the impact of not having a contract with actual terms for leaving is kind of funny in a thread where the primary response to people's job problems is "you should leave".

dennyk posted:

At-will employment puts the balance of power solidly on the side of the employer, because most employers have far more than one employee and can easily survive one person's departure with little or no disruption, while most employees have only one job and many of them would lose access to food and shelter fairly quickly if they were to lose that job.
Which is applicable to almost everyone employed under any circumstances, at-will or not. Being a high-level employee with a contract or having a union to fight for you mitigates these problems, but for those of us in jobs without unions (pretty much everyone in this thread), this has basically always been the case. Hypothetical "the employer has a lot more power" discussions are kind of the problem here, because what happens in real life is dramatically different from worst-case readings of the law and dramatizing how the power companies have.

"Yes, but they could" is not the same as what employers actually do in most cases. The entire point of my post was to contradict this absurd idea that somehow employment in the US is like walking on thin ice every day and your boss is going to channel Ari Gold. It's much harder in practice to fire someone in the US than this thread would suggest (while following company policy), and the "I'll make them quit" sentiment doesn't exist without reason.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
please stop trying to have a rational discussion with the forum's resident corporate cheerleader

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
If I were fired, my company would be in huge trouble with regards to replacing me. That leverage is how I can get a higher wage, which I put in an emergency fund for when that's not the case.

There's no always right position on leverage. It's a flux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

go3 posted:

please stop trying to have a rational discussion with the forum's resident corporate cheerleader

Sorry that disagreeing with the SH/SC bipolar attitude towards employers makes me a corporate cheerleader.

The real world is somewhat more nuanced than people present it here. Can we actually talk about things the way they happen in this industry instead of pretending that obtuse anti-employer sentiment is valuable in any way?