Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also it's kind of cool to spend so many years in Kings Landing and then see it transforming in realtime to Mad Max

Weird disgraced maester making zombies, end of times prophesizers taking over the city. Give Tommen a horse with 3 skulls taped to the side to ride throughout the streets

I LIVE!
I DIE!
I LIVE AGAIN (as a zombie)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ironlung posted:

They can pretend all they want but they don't believe the thing is actually happening.

Regardless of what Aaron Paul said on a talk show, getting raped and pretending to be raped are different

No poo poo to the second part, but some do believe it to varying degrees. I''m sure they never get anywhere close to the actual thing, but I imagine it's not easy in almost all cases. Some actors and actresses cry between takes and after the shooting. Yorick van Wageningen said he cried all day in his hotel room after being a rapist in a scene.

Quotes from him:
"When I call van Wageningen, he brings up another difficult scene, one in which he rapes Salander. “Probably the most terrifying thing I’ve ever done,” he says. “I spent a day crying in my hotel room. I’m sure she did, too.” During the shoot, Mara said to him, “Please don’t ask me if I am OK, because I don’t want to think of you as a compassionate human being.” "

"I have a mentor here in Holland, a theatre director, Karst Woudstra, whom I consider to be one of my greatest teachers. He once said to me: “If you want to play Hitler, you actually have to believe that you’re able to do that. You have to believe that you’re capable of the destruction of millions of people, you have to find a way to get there”.

"I was more frightened for the rape than the revenge scene, and you have to sort of believe that you can do that – even find some satisfaction in doing that. If you don’t believe it, then in the end the audience won’t believe it. You have to go to a place where you could imagine that you could do that."

Before the season started, Iwan Rheon said there were some scenes he really didn't want to do.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The title King of Kings would have solved Stannis' and Robb's disagreements.

Those people needed killing anyway. Roasting them is simply killing two birds with one stone. Shireen does not need killing, since she's not working against Stannis' righteous cause.

Yeah, this would seem less hypocritical/inconsistent if they hadn't ditched the Edric Storm plotline.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If Robb was given the Dorne offer of their rulers possessing the title of Prince and the North being given a little more autonomy than the other Kingdoms by a new king like Stannis, he probably would have taken it.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

JT Jag posted:

If Robb was given the Dorne offer of their rulers possessing the title of Prince and the North being given a little more autonomy than the other Kingdoms by a new king like Stannis, he probably would have taken it.

Idk, I get the sense that Robb was really more swept up by the populist tide than actually being all that politically motivated himself, so I could see that having gone either way.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

*Cool guy takes care of some noblemen* "Boohoo, why is he so mean to these people? No nobleman has ever done anything bad."
*The common people rise up against their oppressors* "Look at these crazy people, not respecting the proper way of things!"

This thread is more reactionary than the Tsars' court.
This is a good observation.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Who is the cool guy taking care of noblemen?

Or is 'taking care of' meaning horrible murder here?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

At least part of the issue is that in the book the sparrows and faith militant were pretty much just a bunch of religious fanatics and all the 99% stuff was added by D&D in the adaptation, so it's hard to know how much of that is real to the movement and how much of that is just the high sparrow's political savvy playing to the hearts and minds of the viewer.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Duggler posted:

Guessing he was referencing the High Sparrow shaking poo poo up in King's Landing.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

The Duggler posted:

The answer is : Dany the Terrible Targ and the answer is yes but with flare!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's Stannis.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

dik-dik posted:

Robert had no more rightful claim to the throne than anyone else. Stannis's claim is only as good as Robert's, and if Robert's claim was legitimate, then anyone with an army behind them could say the same thing.

Stannis and Robert are 1/8th or 1/16th Targaryen or something. If Cersei's children are declared illegitimate and Daenerys dies, I think Stannis is supposed to be the most Targaryen person left, assuming no new Targaryens show up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Also fundamentally speaking the founder of the Baratheon line was a (bastard) half-brother of Aegon Targaryen, so the Baratheons have always been associated with them.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Those people needed killing anyway. Roasting them is simply killing two birds with one stone. Shireen does not need killing, since she's not working against Stannis' righteous cause.

Needed killing? Who needed killing?

His brother in law, and assorted other nobles who stayed by him when most of the Stormlands had turned to Renly, whose only crime (note: not an actual crime in Westeros) was not abandoning their faith (which was the faith that named Robert King, blessed Stannis's marriage, and generally shaped the lives of not just all of Stannis's subjects, but Stannis himself)?

Gendry, who was literally sold (an illegal act in Westeros!) to him by people claiming to want to protect small folk, brought to Dragonstone against his will, committed no crime, and oh, is Stannis's nephew?

Either he burns everyone and is a loyal, devout, and crazy follower of the Firelord, or he burns people selectively and is a hypocritical, tyrant paying lip service to get ahead.

The best part is that I think he will still end up sacrificing his daughter

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So why does Cersei think it is a good idea to make her son, a LANNISTER Baratheon (but w/e), look weak and foolish? This whole plot is dumb as gently caress

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

blue squares posted:

So why does Cersei think it is a good idea to make her son, a LANNISTER Baratheon (but w/e), look weak and foolish? This whole plot is dumb as gently caress

This whole plot Cersei is dumb as gently caress

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

If Stannis burns Shireen then that ruins this whole good guy vs bad guy battle. All season long has been Stannis doing good things and Ramsay doing bad things and telling us that they're going to fight each other. If Stannis burns Shireen, then that was a waste. Then we have a villain vs villain battle where no one gives a gently caress who wins. The battle would just be a waste of screen time and money.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Super Ninja Fish posted:

If Stannis burns Shireen then that ruins this whole good guy vs bad guy battle. All season long has been Stannis doing good things and Ramsay doing bad things and telling us that they're going to fight each other. If Stannis burns Shireen, then that was a waste. Then we have a villain vs villain battle where no one gives a gently caress who wins. The battle would just be a waste of screen time and money.

What good things did Stannis do? What things did Stannis do? He executed Mance for no reason and gave Jon some boats he basically knew he wouldn't need again (despite what he said then, he was clearly not going to go back), and he only really needed to do that because he executed Mance.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

That's kind of the entire idea of GoT, though? There are no good guys. Also what "good things" has Stannis been doing this season? Far as I remember he hasn't really done anything other than set a man on fire for not bending the knee to him and the god he halfheartedly supports.

E:fb

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

blue squares posted:

Her two main priorities are:

1: Make sure her two remaining kids don't die before she does, and:
2: Don't be overthrown by a younger, more beautiful queen.

These things were prophesied by Maggie the Frog, the Woods Witch from the first scene of this season. She's always been a bit concerned about it, but after Joffrey's death she has gone into full prophecy defiance mode, even if she does some things that seen (and honestly are) insane in the process.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bobo the Red posted:

That's one specific type of acting. There are a lot of different schools of acting

One of my favorite stories ever is from Marathon Man. I'm probably getting the details wrong, but before one scene Dustin Hoffman was doing a bunch of exercises and working up a sweat, and Laurence Olivier asked him what the hell he was doing. Hoffman explained that for this scene he needed to physically exhausted, and Olivier replied,"Have you considered.... acting?"

Olivier also once replied to a question about why he was in Clash of the Titans by saying,"For the money, of course." Basically Olivier owned :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 26, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Her two main priorities are:

1: Make sure her two remaining kids don't die before she does, and:
2: Don't be overthrown by a younger, more beautiful queen.

These things were prophesied by Maggie the Frog, the Woods Witch from the first scene of this season. She's always been a bit concerned about it, but after Joffrey's death she has gone into full prophecy defiance mode, even if she does some things that seen (and honestly are) insane in the process.

Funny how prophecies have a way of making themselves come true.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

What good things did Stannis do? What things did Stannis do? He executed Mance for no reason and gave Jon some boats he basically knew he wouldn't need again (despite what he said then, he was clearly not going to go back), and he only really needed to do that because he executed Mance.

That was a deserter of the Night's Watch. Even Ned executed Night's Watch deserters. He was actually incredibly merciful to offer him a pardon if he bent the knee. Same for all the Wildings. Stannis wanted them to join him and they didn't. He could have just killed them all if they didn't join him or if they didn't convert to the lord of the light. Instead he left them in Jon's hands.

Trying to make Jon the lord of Winterfell was a good thing. Being kind and having a touching moment with his daughter was a good thing. Believing Sam about the Walkers and telling him he was doing a good job. Not punishing Jon for shooting Mance with an arrow. Giving Jon ships.

Literally like every second this season of Stannis was saying he's a good guy, root for him to take back the north.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 26, 2015

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
The best part is that she thinks Margaery is the problem, when Dany is a much more likely contender

or her own daughter, since if the rest of the prophecy comes true, Myrcella will be Queen before the end

Super Ninja Fish posted:

That was a deserter of the Night's Watch. Even Ned executed Night's Watch deserters. He was actually incredibly merciful to offer him a pardon if he bent the knee. Same for all the Wildings. Stannis wanted them to join him and they didn't. He could have just killed them all if they didn't join him or if they didn't convert to the lord of the light. Instead he left them in Jon's hands.

Trying to make Jon the lord of Winterfell was a good thing. Being kind and having a touching moment with his daughter was a good thing. Believing Sam about the Walkers and telling him he was doing a good job. Not punishing Jon for shooting Mance with an arrow. Giving Jon ships.

Literally like every second this season was saying he's a good guy, root for him to take back the north.

You can't say executing a deserter of the Night's Watch is a good thing and then also hold up tempting the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch to desert as good

Not killing the wildlings isn't 'good', the wildlings didn't do anything to deserve death: they didn't create the artificial barriers that made them criminals, the southerners did. despite the setting, 'not that psychotically evil' is not 'good'

Not being a lovely dad once isn't a good thing, it's what you're supposed to do.

Jon only needed the ships because Stannis killed Mance, and Stannis didn't need the ships anyway, because he intends to march literally everyone with him, wife and daughter included, to death or victory.

kiimo posted:

Can't Stannis just use leaches on his daughter? She doesn't have to die, right?

He asked. Mel said no

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 26, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

kiimo posted:

He asked if he could use leeches, but child sacrifice is all the lord of light wants. He sounds a bit of a dick tbh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

kiimo posted:

Probably needs more power than the leeches can give.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Just wanted to say how great Stannis looks with a beard in the last few episodes. :swoon: So kingly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bobo the Red posted:

Needed killing? Who needed killing?
Nobles in general. Stannis getting rid of the chaff and uniting the realm under a single strong hand would do wonders to protect the common people against starvation, brigands, and the terrors in the night.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Which would be great, except for the terrifyingly evil sorceress using him as a puppet...

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

You can't say executing a deserter of the Night's Watch is a good thing and then also hold up tempting the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch to desert as good

A king releasing you from your vows isn't the same thing as deserting.

quote:

Not killing the wildlings isn't 'good', the wildlings didn't do anything to deserve death: they didn't create the artificial barriers that made them criminals, the southerners did. despite the setting, 'not that psychotically evil' is not 'good'

The wildlings didn't kneel and follow the orders of the one true king. They're also known for breaking laws and slaughtering villages.

quote:

Not being a lovely dad once isn't a good thing, it's what you're supposed to do.

What, of course it's a good thing. In this instance, it's good to do what you're supposed to do. There's a lot of lovely dads. It's good to show your daughter that you care about her. The point of the scene was to show the humanity in him in contrast to the Bolton son/father scene.

quote:

Jon only needed the ships because Stannis killed Mance, and Stannis didn't need the ships anyway, because he intends to march literally everyone with him, wife and daughter included, to death or victory.

So what? He still didn't need to give them to him. He didn't even sign off on Jon's plan. He said something like "I hope you know what you're doing." He simply trusted Jon. For his stay there, he really supported Jon totally. Oh and he also saved his life and the lives of the entire Night's Watch.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Except even the king doesn't have authority ot release you from the Night's Watch.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Stannis Baraethon -- The road to hell is paved with good intentions. His motivations are pure, his methods are pretty filthy, particularly regarding his involvement with Melisandre.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Except even the king doesn't have authority ot release you from the Night's Watch.

A king has the authority to do whatever a king wants.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

A king has the authority to do whatever a king wants.

Yeah that explains why the king's wife, brother-in-law, and mother, are all in jail against his wishes. :allears:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

dik-dik posted:

Yeah that explains why the king's wife, brother-in-law, and mother, are all in jail against his wishes. :allears:

Well duh, Tommen's a bastard born of incest, not the one true king.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Jon Do posted:

Stannis Baraethon -- The road to hell is paved with good intentions. His motivations are pure, his methods are pretty filthy, particularly regarding his involvement with Melisandre.

Same thing could be said about Dany...except she has dragons instead of fire priestesses.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'm not even sure his intentions are all that pure, or really all that developed beyond "I should be king."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I would have to agree about Dany. I'd have to say she's realized the force necessary to remain in control, and is under the seductive influence of her own power. Or at least that's how it looks. Her arc seems to have taken this turn more naturally than Stannis', to my opinion. I don't think she's done quite as hosed up of poo poo as Stanis, at least not yet.

E: However, while she has tried to remain a benevolent ruler... she seems to do so in service of her own self. I wouldn't say she has a grand plan to save the land like Stanis does. Just that it's probably not worth doing it his way.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 26, 2015

• Locked thread