Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dis astranagant posted:

Nintendo is notorious for never sanity checking anything, which is why so many of their games have crazy bugs where the game keeps going after being made to read past the end of an array or otherwise work with memory it isn't supposed to be working with.

Which is how you pull off the now fastest glitch for beating Ocarina of Time; the game swaps level and transition data in the same place and does zero sanity checking to make sure the value is what it should be.

:lol:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

After loving Masters of Doom I picked up David Kushner's other book, Jacked. This one is about Rockstar and the development of the Grand Theft Auto series. It's pretty telling that a guy who sent his cat off to die for autistic reasons, and the doofus who sank Ion Storm are far more interesting and sympathetic characters. The Rockstar guys just aren't very interesting, and their attempts to be cool are laughable.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Well, to avoid that sort of thing in the future, I'd suggest maybe adding another weapon to the roster. You could totally rename everything, too. Maybe like, Thrust, Umbra, Black Sabbath, Gomorrah, Ignitor, Ragnarok, and Lace Dragon?

Those are pretty lame band names for weapons. I'd go for Lion, Motorhead, Nazareth, Pantera, Riot and Turbo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Dominion, Imperium, Cruentus, Kryoburn, Battlelore, Underoath, Triptykon, Terrorfakt

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

After loving Masters of Doom I picked up David Kushner's other book, Jacked. This one is about Rockstar and the development of the Grand Theft Auto series. It's pretty telling that a guy who sent his cat off to die for autistic reasons, and the doofus who sank Ion Storm are far more interesting and sympathetic characters. The Rockstar guys just aren't very interesting, and their attempts to be cool are laughable.

It's an interesting book but it concentrates too much on the Jack Thompson bullshit. Wish it had spent more time with the Rockstar dudes and how they made their first games, even if they're not as engaging as the id dudes.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

TerminusEst13 posted:

You have no idea how :stonklol: I was to learn that out of all the metal band/song names I picked, out of all the ways I could have possibly arranged them, out of all the ways the weapons could have been indicated on the HUD...they all came together just like that.
It's like rolling the dice over an Ouija board and they all land on the letters for "gently caress YOUR MUM".

so you're saying that glory fell into your hands and you willingly threw it away?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I decided to check out the OP of this thread, don't think I've seen it for years. Because of that, I've been downloading Doom mods 'n wads like crazy, and my very quick, very basic thoughts are...

1. I'm bored of Brutal Doom (I didn't need the OP for this revelation)
2. Beautiful Doom is nice, but I didn't play with it too much. It'll be what I use if I go through the original vanilla campaign.
3. Demonsteele is the loving poo poo for gameplay, holy gently caress. I love it. I absolutely love it. Good job, Term, I know I'm not the only one to tell you this, but you made a hell of a thing. Very proud to call you a fellow :canada:-ian.
4. Reelism... Ok, jesus christ, I started playing, and I remember this mod from when I think it was called Community Chest. I thought it was neat before, played a bit of Internet City, or whatever that level is called, and kind of forgot about it. I just played about a half hour of Reelism, and this is my favourite goddamned thing. I see in the OP, Kins, that you said that 'some people seem to like it'. How do you not know that you have gold here? How is this not everyone's favourite thing? I laughed, I cried, I peed... and that was before I fought loving DAGGERFALL GUARDS IN A HUGE JRPG VILLAGE!! :swoon: You see, Daggerfall was my all-time favourite game back in the day (and still holds a place in my heart, today). I was blasting my way through enemies, thinking 'Man, I love this, I don't think it could get any better', and then I hear a loving 'HALT!' behind me, and knew I was in love. This might be a dumb question, but can you play Reelism in multiplayer, with Zandronum or something? If so, I'm just going to proclaim it my game of the year for many years to come.

You goons... you do excellent work.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I have experienced demonsteele for the first time. :stonk:

Possibly the most metal experience I've ever had with doom, maybe with a video game ever,

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I decided to check out the OP of this thread, don't think I've seen it for years. Because of that, I've been downloading Doom mods 'n wads like crazy, and my very quick, very basic thoughts are...

2. Beautiful Doom is nice, but I didn't play with it too much. It'll be what I use if I go through the original vanilla campaign.
3. Demonsteele is the loving poo poo for gameplay, holy gently caress. I love it. I absolutely love it. Good job, Term, I know I'm not the only one to tell you this, but you made a hell of a thing. Very proud to call you a fellow :canada:-ian.
4. Reelism... Ok, jesus christ, I started playing, and I remember this mod from when I think it was called Community Chest. I thought it was neat before, played a bit of Internet City, or whatever that level is called, and kind of forgot about it. I just played about a half hour of Reelism, and this is my favourite goddamned thing. I see in the OP, Kins, that you said that 'some people seem to like it'. How do you not know that you have gold here? How is this not everyone's favourite thing? I laughed, I cried, I peed... and that was before I fought loving DAGGERFALL GUARDS IN A HUGE JRPG VILLAGE!! :swoon: You see, Daggerfall was my all-time favourite game back in the day (and still holds a place in my heart, today). I was blasting my way through enemies, thinking 'Man, I love this, I don't think it could get any better', and then I hear a loving 'HALT!' behind me, and knew I was in love. This might be a dumb question, but can you play Reelism in multiplayer, with Zandronum or something? If so, I'm just going to proclaim it my game of the year for many years to come.

Community Chest is actually a completely different thing (a series of 4 community created map sets, to be specific). Give CC4 a shot, at the very least: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/cchest4.zip

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NuclearPotato posted:

Community Chest is actually a completely different thing (a series of 4 community created map sets, to be specific). Give CC4 a shot, at the very least: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/cchest4.zip

Ah, ok, I must have played one of those maps with reelism, is that possible? It was so long ago.

I just know that right now, I can't get enough of the Love-Letter-To-Every-FPS mish-mash that is Reelism. :allears:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

If you're getting a taste for goon wads, you ought to try out Modes of Destruction made by our own Woolie Wool. It goes best with Back To Saturn X and adds some really enjoyable gunplay to the game.

Also, speaking of Reelism... Kins, now that Powerslave EX is out, do you think you can add Powerslave stuff to the next release?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just know that right now, I can't get enough of the Love-Letter-To-Every-FPS mish-mash that is Reelism. :allears:

Give Aeons of Death a try sometime.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Give Aeons of Death a try sometime.

That's actually next on my list! It's funny, I downloaded a bunch of mods at once recently, and had read the description for Aeons, and briefly thought I was playing it while playing Reelism.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aeons of Death is less a love letter and more a fever dream

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nokiaman posted:

Just finished Seven Portals hub in Hexen and man it's so much better than Heretic. Heretic really felt like boring Doom clone where as Hexen feels so much like a game of its own. Also that green spell is soooo OP :v:

If you can figure out how to beat Hexen without any kind of walkthrough, you are a better person that myself and many of us here :v:

Once you beat the vanilla game, if you still want more, give Kaiser's Shadows of Chronos a shot - it takes a few hours to get through and really improves on the "where the hell do I go now" problem of Hexen vanilla.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
A map pack containing four all-new Domination maps for UT99 has been released. It contains DOM-Nightshift, an industrial-themed map, DOM-Private, a map set in a small house, DOM-Private2, which contains more homes to roam around in, and DM-Tamsa, a cool gothic level that reminds me a bit of the gothic levels in UT2k4. DOM-Nightshift and DOM-Tamsa contains four control points instead of the usual three, so I'd set the score limit a littler higher than the default unless you want matches to end quickly. I haven't tried them yet, but they look good.

Bot support is included.

Screenshots: https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6195#p74038

Donwload: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dszo8wwuh2zr1hd/ebwjet_dom_mappack.rar

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

1. Brutal Doom
2. Beautiful Doom
3. Demonsteele
4. Reelism

Try Samsara as well, if you haven't yet. Nothing quite like blowing through various Doom maps as Duke Nukem.

Man, I remember working on a couple of Reelism maps - a cowboy stage using Outlaws textures, and a basketball court. The basketball court is the more complete of the two, although I believe the displays I set up in the center of the arena (using a basic camera texture) lag the game out a bit. (And that's after I decided making the wooden floor slightly reflective was too much of a framerate-killer. This is on a pretty high-ish-end machine, too...)

The problem I have with making Reelism maps is that I'll maybe tweak a building once or twice and then decide I have to play through a full round of the game instead of developing the map and thus actually being productive. Oops.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

This might be a dumb question, but can you play Reelism in multiplayer, with Zandronum or something?
Sooort-of. You can use ZDoom's peer-to-peer multiplayer. It's not as good as Zandronum's fancy dedicated-server stuff, but Zandronum was missing some modding stuff from more recent ZDooms last I checked. Somebody fixed that and sent me a patch, and there's still problems on some maps due to the server constantly having to send and recieve updates on the status of so many enemies. I'm hoping the next update plus the next Zandronum will be closer to a happy medium when they both release sometime in 2067.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Also, speaking of Reelism... Kins, now that Powerslave EX is out, do you think you can add Powerslave stuff to the next release?
I might slip a few things into the existing reels or into the boss lineup, but for now assume no.

Shadow Hog posted:

Man, I remember working on a couple of Reelism maps - a cowboy stage using Outlaws textures, and a basketball court. The basketball court is the more complete of the two, although I believe the displays I set up in the center of the arena (using a basic camera texture) lag the game out a bit. (And that's after I decided making the wooden floor slightly reflective was too much of a framerate-killer. This is on a pretty high-ish-end machine, too...)

The problem I have with making Reelism maps is that I'll maybe tweak a building once or twice and then decide I have to play through a full round of the game instead of developing the map and thus actually being productive. Oops.
I'd love to see these, if you still have them.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Wow. Wow. It got mentioned in this thread, as far as mythological apocalypses, and I had it sitting in my Steam library because I got it for exceptionally cheap, so I decided to try Legendary. Wow is that game some hot garbage. Like, I'd heard it was bad but Christ. It didn't feel too bad but the enemies (all two or three of the ones I encountered) were absolutely no fun to fight. I should feel somewhat bad about giving it just a bit less than an hour, but I said gently caress it when I overshot a jump in a bullshit warehouse area because you're a world-class long jumper, but jump vertically way worse than FDR.

Luckily it's not really an early FPS so there's no real need to talk about it! What are some mods that are notably apocalyptic? Hellbound, of course, despite what people say about the gameplay, any else that you'd recommend?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

catlord posted:

Wow is that game some hot garbage.
Oh, you haven't seen half of it. Except for the enemies. You fight the werewolves for the entire game, all other monsters are minibosses or one-use gimmicks.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Bedlam, an Steam Early Access FPS with heroine jumping between various games, Wreck-it-Ralph style, is in Indie Gala bundle, and the game is surprisingly not poo poo. Some jokes are terrible (but not in offensive way, just way too much memes and poo poo), the engine has some hiccups, but the game itself is quite faithful to various retro-FPS tropes.
Also thank whatever ancient Egyptian god shared the secrets of porting Powerslave to PC, the game is very slick and good and a wonderful lost gem.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

If you can figure out how to beat Hexen without any kind of walkthrough, you are a better person that myself and many of us here :v:

Once you beat the vanilla game, if you still want more, give Kaiser's Shadows of Chronos a shot - it takes a few hours to get through and really improves on the "where the hell do I go now" problem of Hexen vanilla.

Alright thanks will check it out after I finish Hexen :)
The second hub is a lot more confusing, but I think I'll figure it out eventually :v:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
What was that one Unreal Tournament mod that added new weapons that people were raving about a while back? I don't think it's any of the ones in the OP.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AHungryRobot posted:

What was that one Unreal Tournament mod that added new weapons that people were raving about a while back? I don't think it's any of the ones in the OP.

If you're talking about the Ut2004 mod, it's Ballistic Weapons, which is comprised of a main mod that has god-knows-how-many weapons as well as numerous community-made add-ons of varying quality and size (although quite a few of the packs are decent enough).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
For UT99, there's Unreal4Ever, which adds about 40 or so random and fun weapons to get game (such as a heat-seeking girl's doll that causes a nuclear explosion when someone touches it and Duke3D's Freezethrower), Nali Weapons 3, which has several twists to the standard UT99 arsenal, like fusing the Translocator and Ripper into one weapon, and impressive-looking new weapon models and effects, and Excessive Unreal 2, that adds completely off-the-wall weapons and lets you put Unreal 1 monsters in regular maps for extra chaos.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The Kins posted:

Sooort-of. You can use ZDoom's peer-to-peer multiplayer. It's not as good as Zandronum's fancy dedicated-server stuff, but Zandronum was missing some modding stuff from more recent ZDooms last I checked. Somebody fixed that and sent me a patch, and there's still problems on some maps due to the server constantly having to send and recieve updates on the status of so many enemies. I'm hoping the next update plus the next Zandronum will be closer to a happy medium when they both release sometime in 2067.
I might slip a few things into the existing reels or into the boss lineup, but for now assume no.

The Zandronum team actually already have builds of 3.0 up and running, which apparently upgrades the ZDoom code to 2.7. Someone who was testing it reported running The Ultimate Torture and Torment in co-op without any noticeable problems, so take that as you will.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Awesome Welles posted:

It's an interesting book but it concentrates too much on the Jack Thompson bullshit. Wish it had spent more time with the Rockstar dudes and how they made their first games, even if they're not as engaging as the id dudes.

Yes more people need to talk about the glory that was Lemmings and the fact that Rockstar of all people made it.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

NuclearPotato posted:

The Zandronum team actually already have builds of 3.0 up and running, which apparently upgrades the ZDoom code to 2.7. Someone who was testing it reported running The Ultimate Torture and Torment in co-op without any noticeable problems, so take that as you will.

2.7.1, actually, the latest stable version of ZDoom.
So basically anything that doesn't require a git build of ZDoom/GZDoom now will be able to run on Zandro, which is pretty fuckin' rad to say the least.

Keeping up with git builds would be absolute suicide for obvious reasons, so while Zandro will always be a little bit behind, it's no longer the laughable gap it was before.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 27, 2015

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Oh poo poo, and Zandronum doesn't REQUIRE OpenGL2 like Graf arbitrarily decided GZDoom should, right? Because if not that's great news for me as I can finally have friends over to play Doom via LAN again, since none of my other computers support it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

I do! Not at this immediate moment, mind, since I'm at work, but they're still on my home computer.

Reminds me that I also ported SRB2's Jetty-Syn enemies (ie: the tan or green bastards that rocket wildly all over the place shooting bullets/dropping bombs (respectively) and are a pain in the rear end to kill) to ZDoom a while ago, although I kind of want to revisit the DECORATE for them; it's a mess. (I mean, the end result is as accurate to the original coding as I could make it, but I'm pretty sure A_Warp-ing them into their target and back every tic just to get information on where their target is in relation to them, while it works, is way too hacky for serious consideration. God, I wish information like "what coordinates are my target at" or "what is the name of the texture under my feet" wasn't relegated to "Wait For DoomScript" when I'm not as yet convinced DoomScript will ever happen...)

Also surprised that the video I put up two years ago to showcase them has been retroactively made 60FPS. Nice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Awesome Welles posted:

I'm now at the point where they leap into making San Andreas as soon as Vice City finishes. Id at the point Romero left sounds like a less toxic place to work, gently caress, Ion Storm Dallas sounds like a less toxic place to work.

Oh, hey. Was there a second Shadow Warrior novel?

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 27, 2015

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I learned today that apparently the 3DO port of Doom was originally intended to have FMV sequences, and this went so far as for the FMV sequences to actually be (at least partially) shot, and this is a picture from one:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm... kind of glad they didn't fully go through with it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Linguica posted:

I learned today that apparently the 3DO port of Doom was originally intended to have FMV sequences, and this went so far as for the FMV sequences to actually be (at least partially) shot, and this is a picture from one:

Whoa.

Link to the rest?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm... kind of glad they didn't fully go through with it.
I like it. Otherwise it's just an early console port of Doom that plays like poo poo. This gives it some uniqueness. Kind of like how the only reason anybody wants to own the SNES version is the red cartridge.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Linguica posted:

I remember seeing these in an old gaming mag from like '95 or so and being amazed that they would have something like that. Still kinda disappointed they never actually came through. Kinda wanna see what that demon suit looked like in not poo poo quality.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I like it. I mean, it looks bad, but I like it.

Kitty Burger posted:

I remember seeing these in an old gaming mag from like '95 or so and being amazed that they would have something like that. Still kinda disappointed they never actually came through. Kinda wanna see what that demon suit looked like in not poo poo quality.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that there is no other quality here.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That guy seems kinda nonplussed about having his entrails eaten.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Convex posted:

That guy seems kinda nonplussed about having his entrails eaten.
The dead don't usually raise much of an argument to being mutilated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The 3DO port is apparently the absolute worst one, so this would have at least given it something to offer. The FMV craze made for some interesting material.