Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Moochewmoo posted:

Okay. Is the sheriff lady a good fit for the presequal? Dopple-jack seems pretty murderific as well.

The one thing the presequel does better than either of the other borderlands games is the playable characters. They're all fun, hilariously powerful, with really useful skills. Seriously, pretty much every skill does something useful and works well with other skills in the tree. (or even in other trees!)

Nisha (sheriff lady) is great if you like guns, especially Jakobs. Left tree is basically tanking and some melee, middle tree is more focused around her action skill, right tree does a lot with guns. (More so than the other two, anyway.)
I haven't played Jack at all, so no comment.

I guess Claptrap is the weirdest character, in that his middle tree is only really powerful if you're in multiplayer, and his right tree requires weapon swapping a lot, which is difficult in the beginning when you don't have 4 weapon slots or a lot of weapons to choose from.
But he makes up for it with being Claptrap and having a hilarious (and frustrating :v:) action skill.

Assault Rifle chat: I occasionally use them with Athena if they're the right element, but they still don't hold up to a good SMG. The minigun barrels make them fun gimmicks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Nisha with Vladof auto pistol(s) is both very awesome, and a quick way to run out of ammo. I always found hitting both triggers to fire jacobs pistols not so fun.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
I just got the Handsome Collection on Xbone, and the character importation thing is bullshit.

Anyone wanna help me power level a Zero and/or Salvador?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So I just now fought Eclipse for the first time.

Holy God in Heaven, there is no loving way anyone play tested this fight. I was so sure you guys were exaggerating... I was very, very wrong. And I thought RK5 was bad... Wound up quitting in disgust after I brought him down to about 25% and got unlucky on a FFTY. And, bringing him down as low as 25% took... like... half an hour?

Well, no, that's probably overselling it a bit. Sure felt like half an hour though, and fifteen minutes wouldn't surprise me. Just endless, endless, endless health, repeating the same pattern over and over...

Backhand fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 25, 2015

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Solumin posted:

The one thing the presequel does better than either of the other borderlands games is the playable characters. They're all fun, hilariously powerful, with really useful skills. Seriously, pretty much every skill does something useful and works well with other skills in the tree. (or even in other trees!)

Nisha (sheriff lady) is great if you like guns, especially Jakobs. Left tree is basically tanking and some melee, middle tree is more focused around her action skill, right tree does a lot with guns. (More so than the other two, anyway.)
I haven't played Jack at all, so no comment.

I guess Claptrap is the weirdest character, in that his middle tree is only really powerful if you're in multiplayer, and his right tree requires weapon swapping a lot, which is difficult in the beginning when you don't have 4 weapon slots or a lot of weapons to choose from.
But he makes up for it with being Claptrap and having a hilarious (and frustrating :v:) action skill.

Assault Rifle chat: I occasionally use them with Athena if they're the right element, but they still don't hold up to a good SMG. The minigun barrels make them fun gimmicks though.

Hey thanks for all this. I'll stick with the lawbringer for now. Looks real fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jack is actually really good in a lot of different ways. His left tree heals you for kills and makes everyone more directly powerful, but it's got extreeeemely powerful game-changing grenade-spam skills in it that give you free grenades or let your clones throw grenades for free. You blow up everything.

His right-handed tree is about equipment management and weapon-swapping. He's got a powerful skill in there that lets you shoot an enemy with one weapon, it accrues explosive "interest" and if you shoot it with a different weapon after a second it explodes. There's another skill where his overall damage keeps increasing as long as you keep collecting money and never spend it. At top level this means you can blow the poo poo out of a badass with two bullets and five seconds. There's also a skill in there that lets you pass the effects of one gun brand onto another by swapping weapons (if you just held a Jacobs, your current gun is now much more damaging)

His middle tree is all about kill skills and using his expendable clones as expendably as possible; he gets health regen from dying clones, clones that explode when they die, clones that explode when they appear, and the final skill in it makes all your kill skills activate whenever a clone dies for you so you're basically constantly at your top killing efficiency while your action skill is cooling down.

If you're playing Borderlands 2, play as Krieg if you want a high-risk, high-reward character. He's crazy and awesome. If you want a good middle-of-the-road character play as Axton who summons the turret, he's pretty good at everything. If you want the awesomest in my opinion, try out Gaige the Mechromancer, I love all her skills, but especially Anarchy which increases her damage to ludicrous levels as long as she never manually reloads.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Anarchy Gaige is a blast and I'd love to play through BL1 and TPS with her.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Backhand posted:

So I just now fought Eclipse for the first time.

Holy God in Heaven, there is no loving way anyone play tested this fight. I was so sure you guys were exaggerating... I was very, very wrong. And I thought RK5 was bad... Wound up quitting in disgust after I brought him down to about 25% and got unlucky on a FFTY. And, bringing him down as low as 25% took... like... half an hour?

Well, no, that's probably overselling it a bit. Sure felt like half an hour though, and fifteen minutes wouldn't surprise me. Just endless, endless, endless health, repeating the same pattern over and over...

He is hellishly difficult, but I am kind of glad there is one boss now that is balanced for the most OP builds out there, so there is a repeatable challenge for you when you're maXXXed out. BUT, this should have been done with a raid boss version unlocked after you beat him!!!

Anyway, he at least drops a guaranteed legendary when you first get him, and not just flakkers like the warrior did, but from the full pool including DLC guns. (Tip: you can dashboard and load back in if you got a flakker and want something good - you don't have to fight him again)

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Which would you say has more content? TPS or BL2?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BL2 by faaaar!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

BL2 has a massive amount of content for any game, and TPS doesn't even come close.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, they spent a full extra year giving it more content besides all its original planned DLC, and they planned for a LOT.

So if you've never played BL2 before you got the Handsome Collection, you're in for a treat. Plus all the cosmetic DLC they nickel-and-dimed everyone for is free there!

EDIT: Huh, there's skins in TPS that gives them faces of Tales from the Borderlands characters.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Yeah I've never played either of the two new ones. I'm kinda stoked. I figured chronological is the best order.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, respeccing in Borderlands: TPS is so...transformative of your playstyle. I love whoever designed these skill trees. It's a far cry from the original Borderlands where it was simple stat boosts most of the time.

Going from a Hero of this Story Jack to a Free Enterprise Jack is so strange.

I think Wilhelm calls out for Saint more often when you're specced defensively with him using his Saint-based skill tree, need to respect for Wolf to see if he cries wolf (no pun intended) more often.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

EDIT: Huh, there's skins in TPS that gives them faces of Tales from the Borderlands characters.

Yeah, those are from owning Tales IIRC.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

So it looks like the 2nd time I started up BL: HJC a whole bunch of character customization options (heads and skins) disappeared. Common problem? If so, how do I fix it?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Was wanting blast my way though some Pre-Sequel again but I'll be damned if I want to do it without using CE, and I can't seem to find a trainer that works now. I just want phat loot at a reasonable rate :cry:

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
New hotfix triples the drop rates for Legendary items permanently. Applies to all versions of both 2 and TPS.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

smashpro1 posted:

New hotfix triples the drop rates for Legendary items permanently. Applies to all versions of both 2 and TPS.

Huh, that would have been nice about five or six months ago.

Anyone know any former 2kA developers twitter handles? It was pointed out by Pitchford that Claptastic Voyage, a reasonably good DLC [barring the endboss], was created exclusively by 2kA, and implying that they had a good degree less 'assistance' from Gearbox than on the main game. That leaves me wondering which party was really responsible for dropping the ball, since the very abbreviated DLC schedule was planned out well before the release.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
people had positive opinions about that DLC?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

It was pretty fun, until the end boss.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

It had some relatively nice endgame and was not The Holodome, which means it's one of the highlights of the game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

smashpro1 posted:

Even the old standalone ones?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Claptastic Voyage was amazing!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So I'd asked about BL:TPS in the Steam thread and based on what I was told, I should avoid it.

In short: I loved Borderlands 1...and I liked BL2, but I got more annoyed with it the more I played it. The gunplay, the loot, and annoyances of BL2 got to me the more I (re)played it.

Shooting and looting are my favorite things and I could do them forever, even in a catharsis (like the way some people play Diablo). The fact that there's been a loot increase, low grav and supposedly better (?) skill trees make it seem very attractive for $20.

Since I asked in a place where most people seem bitter about it, I'll ask here as well and see if I'm still being told to avoid BL:TPS: Is this game worth getting for someone who loved the first BL but the second not as much?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It sounds like you hate stories so don't buy TPS if you don't want to put up with that.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Honestly you probably won't like TPS. It's closer to BL2 in terms of gunplay and overall feel, and it doesn't have enough of the huge chaotic fights that you apparently want.

That said, the character skill trees are the better than the other two games. The characters are seriously drat fun, and the game is worth it for me just because of that.

Where are you seeing it for $20? I'd wait for it to go on sale, if you decide to buy it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Morter posted:

So I'd asked about BL:TPS in the Steam thread and based on what I was told, I should avoid it.

In short: I loved Borderlands 1...and I liked BL2, but I got more annoyed with it the more I played it. The gunplay, the loot, and annoyances of BL2 got to me the more I (re)played it.

Shooting and looting are my favorite things and I could do them forever, even in a catharsis (like the way some people play Diablo). The fact that there's been a loot increase, low grav and supposedly better (?) skill trees make it seem very attractive for $20.

Since I asked in a place where most people seem bitter about it, I'll ask here as well and see if I'm still being told to avoid BL:TPS: Is this game worth getting for someone who loved the first BL but the second not as much?

It's essentially an oversized DLC for BL2 with different characters. The level scaling is noticeably better, but still not nearly as good as in BL1. Nothing was done to alter manufacturer balance, level design is iffy in a lot of places, and half of the Legendary drops are literally copy-pasted from BL2.

Gearbox dropped support so fast that there's dialogue for quests and fully realized (read: functioning as well as anything else) GIBD-able guns for several holidays that came and went.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

Gearbox dropped support so fast that there's dialogue for quests and fully realized (read: functioning as well as anything else) GIBD-able guns for several holidays that came and went.

Wait, really? You don't happen to have any gibbed codes for those, do you?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Aurora posted:

It sounds like you hate stories so don't buy TPS if you don't want to put up with that.

I do like stories and humor, and liked the humor in both (More so in 1, because I felt like 2 was trying to 'top itself'), but what I'm most concerned with is the gameplay: combat and loot.

Solumin posted:

Honestly you probably won't like TPS. It's closer to BL2 in terms of gunplay and overall feel, and it doesn't have enough of the huge chaotic fights that you apparently want.

That said, the character skill trees are the better than the other two games. The characters are seriously drat fun, and the game is worth it for me just because of that.

Where are you seeing it for $20? I'd wait for it to go on sale, if you decide to buy it.

Crap, that's a damned shame.

Also, as highlighted in the post I quoted, It comes out to a little over $18 here. But if what's new and different about it won't change what might be frustrating about the experience, then I guess I'll have to pass :(

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The combat and loot in TPS is fun and enjoyable and a lot of goons are bitter about paying full price for a fun game.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Solumin posted:

Wait, really? You don't happen to have any gibbed codes for those, do you?

http://presequelcodes.imgur.com/

Everything's organized by gun type, but off the top of my head there's the sniper rifles Wet-Week (literally The Sloth from BL2 with a new skin) and The Machine (a Vlad sniper that warms up like a spinnigun and is absolutely hilarious in practice) and the Boomacorn shotgun (an explosive Jakob's Tidal Wave reskin). There's also old poo poo like Fermington's Edge and Moxxi's Heartbreaker that work just fine for some reason.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

smashpro1 posted:

I just got the Handsome Collection on Xbone, and the character importation thing is bullshit.

Anyone wanna help me power level a Zero and/or Salvador?

I just ran into the same issue on ps4. I transferred over my old characters, including my wife's, but now it doesn't allow split-screening from the same account. Is there a save editor or something out there that I can use to move my wife's characters under a new, separate ps4 account? Not a PSN account, just a local ps4 account. I just want to be able to play couch co-op with her again.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Father Wendigo posted:

There's also old poo poo like Fermington's Edge and Moxxi's Heartbreaker that work just fine for some reason.

because the quest "don't shoot the messenger" gives you a fremington's edge

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Morter posted:

I do like stories and humor, and liked the humor in both (More so in 1, because I felt like 2 was trying to 'top itself'), but what I'm most concerned with is the gameplay: combat and loot.

Crap, that's a damned shame.

Also, as highlighted in the post I quoted, It comes out to a little over $18 here. But if what's new and different about it won't change what might be frustrating about the experience, then I guess I'll have to pass :(

Oh, I must have missed that. Keep in mind it's still a well-made, very fun game, it just doesn't stand up to the parts of BL1 that you loved.

Father Wendigo posted:

http://presequelcodes.imgur.com/

Everything's organized by gun type, but off the top of my head there's the sniper rifles Wet-Week (literally The Sloth from BL2 with a new skin) and The Machine (a Vlad sniper that warms up like a spinnigun and is absolutely hilarious in practice) and the Boomacorn shotgun (an explosive Jakob's Tidal Wave reskin). There's also old poo poo like Fermington's Edge and Moxxi's Heartbreaker that work just fine for some reason.

Neat, thanks!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Not sure exactly what specific changes helped, but after the last update I went back in and was finally able to beat EOS in single-player mode after getting frustrated and giving up for a few weeks. Whatever is different I went from dying after 20 minutes of pouring fire into him to beating him handily on my first attempt in maybe 15 minutes. A significant improvement - that boss battle was incredibly bad in single-player before.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK so it looks like you can transfer saves to another PS4 profile through the PS4 data management tool. You can copy a character from Profile A to a flash drive, then log out of Profile A. Log back in with Profile B and copy the save from the flash drive to the PS4 under that account. I'm going to try that now and see if it works.

Another thing I ran into: My wife and I were powerleveling a new character in split-screen mode for like an hour when she noticed that only my character (on the Player 1 side of the screen) was gaining XP. We turned in a quest and made sure to note where her XP bar was and it did not go up. This is kinda bullshit :/ Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

HAmbONE posted:

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but I found away to farm really easy. Do the "Capture Wraiths" mission and farm it as usual except you use the Stimulating Iterated Blaster (see crappy img). It's an electric glitch laser that has two special modes: Red mode fires slow, powerful shots that cost several rounds each and Gold mode with rapid fire, continuous fire, and ammo reload on kill that is fast enough to fill the gun faster than you can expend rounds. Trigger Fire Wraiths, position yourself close enough that you get oxygen canisters and that you are doing critical headshots upon spawn. Effects are random so keep continuously shooting until the gun turns gold, confirm your aim, turn off vibration and put down controller, turn 360 and walk away

edit: I use this gun because it's electrical, I am not sure the powers of other glitch weapons so maybe this works for a variety of weapons.

So I started playing again with the Doppleganger character, speed run with several sets of increasing level equipment from other characters. Blew through story and passed UVHM at lvl 40. Went to go do the wraith mission with my magic farming glitch laser...

The "yellow mode" of the laser has changed since the last patch. It is now a burst fire mode with no magazine refill ability. I tried just sitting there holding the trigger but I swear the purple flashing lightning effect gives me brain cancer. Looking it up online I didn't realize that this was the way this mode was supposed to work? I liked mine better, there is now no reason for me really to use glitch weapons over consistent weapons

I am now at lvl 55 after constantly running Red & Belly, I don't think I am going to make it to 70

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Well I bit the bullet, got the whole thing before the sale ended, and I'm liking it more than I expected to.

Started out with Nisha, because I like shotguns, revolvers, and western motifs. She's fun, I like a good amount of the characters, and low gravity is pretty nice. Rated the game a good 7 out of 10.

I avoided starting with Lady Aurelia, even though she seems to take full advantage of the new Cryo element--thought that only the main 4 would have significant interactions during the game, but it turns out DLC characters have their own fleshed out reactions and dialogue, too. Not to mention that her skill is a summon with a decent length and relatively quick cooldown. Even though I wanted to avoid doing the beginning all so quickly again, I decided to start an Aurelia character to try her out, and before I knew it I'm zooming through the story, just dealing with the Bosun at level 15.

She is amazingly fun and efficient, and I'm all too stoked to try out just about all of her skills in the middle tree! Bumped my score to an easy 8/10, despite the crappy level design that some others mentioned in the steam thread (my biggest issue).

Anyway, despite swooning over the Ice Queen, I wanted to know when was a good time to jump into any of the DLCs? I know gently caress-all about them, and I tend to try them out after beating the main story once. Should I do that here? Which one first, and should I do it earlier or later than "Right before starting TVHM"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do the claptastic voyage after you beat the main story for the first time. It owns, except the end boss.

• Locked thread