Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
post your MDF trip reports so I can hate my life some more for not going.

e: new page full of regrets

https://youtu.be/2r1jDtKVo1Y

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

A human heart posted:

Literally any place that sells band merch?
A shitload of merch outlets don't sell them. JSR Direct and The Omega Order both sell a ton of t-shirts but no patches.

Label stores are probably your best bet. I know Nuclear Blast's distro has a ton of patches for sale, including mostly non-NB artists (thankfully). Hell's Headbangers has a lot of more obscure stuff.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Label stores are probably your best bet. I know Nuclear Blast's distro has a ton of patches for sale, including mostly non-NB artists (thankfully). Hell's Headbangers has a lot of more obscure stuff.

I was actually looking at Hell's Headbangers earlier - I figured there were probably some other similar sites, which is why I asked. Hadn't checked out Nuclear Blast's collection so I'll look there next. Thanks!

Not Very Metal posted:

I met Mike Scheidt and ICS Vortex and my drunken idiot friend threw a glow stick at Portal. Great success.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Not Very Metal posted:

e: new page full of regrets

https://youtu.be/2r1jDtKVo1Y

This is my 5th Maryland Death Fest. Did all 4 days this year. It was fun.

- Day 1 at Soundstage was amazing fun. Origin and Skinless were amazing. Jumped over to Rams Head for Conan, Ufomammut, and YOB; all three were amazing.
- Day 2 spent mostly at Edison Lot. Vallenfyre, Suffocation, Master, Aura Noir, and Bloodbath were amazing. My buddy and I were dead tired so we caught Napalm Death and then went home. They never disappoint.
- Day 3. Blood Red Throne, Bulldozer, Vulcano, and Triptykon were great. Only problem was the sound for Triptykon, seemed the bass drum was a bit too high. Went to Soundstage to catch Engorged, then to Rams Head to see Gnaw Their Tongues because I love weird noise poo poo, sat outside talked to some crusties and cyber goths, then we saw Agoraphobic Nosebleed. They were pretty amazing.
- Day 4. Prosanctus Inferi and Tombs were pretty great. Anaal Nathrakh were absolutely great. My buddy couldn't stop laughing during Demilich, the sound was also a bit off. Went to Soundstage to catch Melt Banana, probably the most fun I've ever had during a music set in my life. Glowsticks and pool toys everywhere with a Japanese lady screaming at me while grindcore blasted in the background. My buddy really wanted to see D.R.I., so we had to miss Portal because D.R.I. played a whopping one hour and forty something minute set.

Every year MDF gets better and better, cannot recommend it enough to people to just go. Met a lot of cool people, no goons as far as I know (I was the fat guy wearing a Morrissey shirt on Day 1, a Connoisseur shirt on Day 2, Coffins shirt on Day 3, and a Noothgrush shirt on Day 4).

I also had the pleasure of telling some guy who showed up just for Saturday that Sodom cancelled. So if you're that little Hispanic dude that didn't realize Sodom cancelled and took off work just to see them on Saturday, sorry :smith:

Also, saw this kid during Demilich.

Food Report:

- Gyros were good.
- Beer choices were okay.
- Thai food was great.
- BBQ place was amazing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dick Boat posted:

Only problem was the sound for Triptykon, seemed the bass drum was a bit too high...
My buddy couldn't stop laughing during Demilich, the sound was also a bit off.

I noticed that the sound at the Edison Lot B stage tended to have a lot more bass and kick drum in the mix. The same thing happened last year too (Agalloch's mix on the B stage, in particular, was loving awful). The mixes for Anaal Nathrakh and Amorphis on that stage were stellar though, so I don't know what the deal was.

Did anyone else catch Inter Arma? I wasn't hugely into them going in and wasn't even sure I was going to bother checking them out, but holy poo poo I'm glad I did. They were incredible. I think every person in the crowd beelined for the merch booth as soon as they finished.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 27, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

btw still listening but wondering how your teletubby language works

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Finally seeing Demilich live was one of my happiest moments ever....swiftly dampered by Neurosis.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dick Boat posted:

This is my 5th Maryland Death Fest. Did all 4 days this year. It was fun.

- Day 1 at Soundstage was amazing fun. Origin and Skinless were amazing. Jumped over to Rams Head for Conan, Ufomammut, and YOB; all three were amazing.
- Day 2 spent mostly at Edison Lot. Vallenfyre, Suffocation, Master, Aura Noir, and Bloodbath were amazing. My buddy and I were dead tired so we caught Napalm Death and then went home. They never disappoint.
- Day 3. Blood Red Throne, Bulldozer, Vulcano, and Triptykon were great. Only problem was the sound for Triptykon, seemed the bass drum was a bit too high. Went to Soundstage to catch Engorged, then to Rams Head to see Gnaw Their Tongues because I love weird noise poo poo, sat outside talked to some crusties and cyber goths, then we saw Agoraphobic Nosebleed. They were pretty amazing.
- Day 4. Prosanctus Inferi and Tombs were pretty great. Anaal Nathrakh were absolutely great. My buddy couldn't stop laughing during Demilich, the sound was also a bit off. Went to Soundstage to catch Melt Banana, probably the most fun I've ever had during a music set in my life. Glowsticks and pool toys everywhere with a Japanese lady screaming at me while grindcore blasted in the background. My buddy really wanted to see D.R.I., so we had to miss Portal because D.R.I. played a whopping one hour and forty something minute set.

Every year MDF gets better and better, cannot recommend it enough to people to just go. Met a lot of cool people, no goons as far as I know (I was the fat guy wearing a Morrissey shirt on Day 1, a Connoisseur shirt on Day 2, Coffins shirt on Day 3, and a Noothgrush shirt on Day 4).

I also had the pleasure of telling some guy who showed up just for Saturday that Sodom cancelled. So if you're that little Hispanic dude that didn't realize Sodom cancelled and took off work just to see them on Saturday, sorry :smith:
Agreed on most of that, though I'll also add that Razor and Obituary sounded fantastic too (also I guess Demilich is funny but I loved their set, good stage banter too). I was also impressed by Devourment's sound, the vocals just had this really pervasive dominating quality, not in a "the mix is off" sort of way, but just in that way where you feel it in your whole body. Master was cool but the sound was kinda off for the first song or two, dude had to switch microphones.

Oh also Arcturus was really ridiculous; I know a lot of people dig them but man it's just so goofy to me (and not in a good way).

quote:

Food Report:

- Gyros were good.
- Beer choices were okay.
- Thai food was great.
- BBQ place was amazing.
The beer was weird this year and nobody was selling earplugs other than the ASPCA-ish booth in the far merch tent for some reason (slogan: "earplugs are for pussies" with a picture of a kitten), I ended up bumming a pair off one of the girls at the beer tent with the MDF ale (which was pretty tasty). I also had the vegan chili cheese nachos which were pretty tasty though the "cheese" didn't taste very cheesy (still good so who cares)

I wish they'd be less stingy about water too, it was 2$ to start at the drink tents and then went up to 3$ by Saturday. The Indian food truck had it for 1$ on Friday but I think increased it to 2 on Saturday.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
First night, after prefest, drunk friend sleepwalked and pee'd all over friend on floor in sleeping bag and then layed back down to sleep with no memory of it. Great start to the weekend for the birthday boy.

Sound was kind of a poo poo show all weekend. Thursday at rams head sounded great, but every other day was terrible with just a handful of exceptions. (Dont know about soundstage, didnt have tickets) Almost every band had the bass drums volume way too high, if you were in the front few rows in front of the stage it was like someone punching you in the ears every time they played double bass. Completely unbearable. A handful of bands didnt have any issues, like Tryptikon who sounded perfect, but most of the time it was disappointing.

Ufomammut stood out as sounding the best, I think they had their own sound guy. Despite sound issues, standout sets for me were Demilich, Bulldozer, Massacre, Tsjuder(whos drummer is fun as gently caress to watch), Cianide, and Demoncy. Funebrarum played an Abhorrence cover which ruled, and apparently Amorphis played their Abhorrence cover off their first album, but I left before then sadly.

Arcturus was hilariously bad, stood in a circle drunkenly making fun of em the entire time. Gnaw their tongues was really dumb too, dunno how they are on album but that was not pleasant at all live.

Wanted to try the Indian food truck all weekend, but was way to scared of making GBS threads myself at the fest. Ended up eating at the Thai place around 6 times.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 27, 2015

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

muike posted:

btw still listening but wondering how your teletubby language works

Barely

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Wyzt posted:

Gnaw their tongues was really dumb too, dunno how they are on album but that was not pleasant at all live.

Sounding unpleasant is sort of the point, they're more noise than metal really. I really like some of their studio stuff but I don't get the same thing out of it that I do with most metal at all.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Wyzt posted:

Wanted to try the Indian food truck all weekend, but was way to scared of making GBS threads myself at the fest.

I braved the Indian food. It was actually pretty good and did not cause any gastrointestinal distress.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 27, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gonna see Deicide, Entombed A.D., Hate Eternal, Black Crown Initiate and possibly others (depending on when I can get out of work) on Sunday. What should I expect live from this mostly alright line-up? I'm going for free. I know Entombed A.D. plays mostly actual Entombed songs so I'm fairly excited even if L-G is the only dude who actually recorded them.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

new Vehemence coming this year

God Was Created was one of the first albums that got me into more death metal type stuff, I'm looking forward to this

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
MDF owned a lot. Showed up on Wednesday but didn't do the pre-fest thing but did all 4 days.

Some incomplete thoughts:

Day 1 - Origin was way better than they should have been. I predicted them to be a band that just stood there clicking away on their drums but they could actually work a crowd and sounded great. Color me shocked (in a good way). Mobb Deep was well liked by the crowd. Sounded great, and did a better job keeping me awake then the stoner bands would've. I got too drunk this day, which seems to be my MDF Thursday routine.

Day 2 - Seems like it took some time for the sound guys to dial their levels in. Funebrarum was really bass heavy at first, but the sound guy dialed it in early in the set. They sounded exactly like they do on their albums. Master had a similar issue, but they tore it up and it was great to finally see them. Suffocation, Bloodbath, Obituary and Napalm Death are all big enough to know how to handle the sound on a big stage. Bloodbath stood out for me.

Day 3 - The best overall day for me, Morpheus Descends and Blood Red Throne were absolutely monstrous. Vulcano was cool to see, but I wasn't really familiar at all with them before I saw them. het said that Vulcano was "a band that MrBling would say to not miss." Glad I saw them. Martyrdod was a good change of pace, nailing that Swedish crust sound, and had a lot of energy. Cephalic Carnage almost stole the night for me, they sounded great and the crowd went nuts. Demoncy were cool to see, and they ran their set-time too long, ignoring the stage hands motions to get off the stage and just ignored them. Finally, Tsjuder had the best set of the night. I skipped Agoraphobic Nosebleed to see Tsjuder, and I have no regrets. "Mouth of Madness" had a wild effect on the crowd for being black metal, and they finished the set with a cover of Bathory's "Sacrifice" and everyone went nuts.

Day 4 - I was getting tired by this day but I kept at it. Prosanctus Inferi is really good live, but they are definitely men of few words. Just went up there and blasted through their set. Masacre played forever, and I think the only english they knew was "We are Masacre, from South America", since they repeated that phrase like 5 times. Anaal Nathrakh was great live, I wasn't sure how their sound would translate to a live setting, but it worked. Seeing Demilich was everything I wanted it to be. Impetuous Ritual was cool to see, as I don't think they've played in the US before. They had some pretty wicket battle thongs on. I skipped Portal (because gently caress Portal) to see DRI, and man, DRI is still so good live. I can't believe Kurt Brecht is 53 years old, because the man was a machine on stage. Full of energy, jumping around, and every song had the crowd going nuts.

I agree with het that the beer selection wasn't as good this year around, I spent most my time drinking Sierra Nevada and the Deathfest Ale, which is a step down from the gallons of Flying Dog IPA I drank last year. Food was above average, the BBQ joints (Smokerhead and Pork Lord Tacos) were top notch.

I'll be there next year, that's for sure.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I agree with het that the beer selection wasn't as good this year around,

Next year they need to get the same beer at Edison Lot that they had at Ramshead. The Fordham Brew Co beers they had there were really good, especially the Oak Barrel Stout.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Ram's Head has always had really good beer. They've been rocking that Oak Stout since last year, and they also have a Ram's Head IPA (which I don't think is related to the venue). I wish I lived near the Ram's Head, I assume it's an awesome place for shows outside of MDF as well.

It's funny how they made the metalheads go in the back way to Ram's Head to avoid mixing us with the club folks. There was some drunk dude in a popped collar hammered, getting tossed out and talking poo poo to a bouncer claiming he was being targeted for being white. His exact words were "sorry I'm white, just arrest me like you want to."

It's funny how metalheads are much more self-regulating. Lady working at the bar said that MDF is her favorite weekend because it's packed, they make a lot of money, and everybody is nice and they have way less problems than usual.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

It's funny how they made the metalheads go in the back way to Ram's Head to avoid mixing us with the club folks. There was some drunk dude in a popped collar hammered, getting tossed out and talking poo poo to a bouncer claiming he was being targeted for being white. His exact words were "sorry I'm white, just arrest me like you want to."

I saw something on the MDF Facebook at one point about how Power Plant Live had "lifted the dresscode" for MDF attendees. Is that what that was about?

We were hanging out in front of Ram's Head for a bit Thursday and didn't notice any issues - except the acoustic guitar guy playing to an empty restaurant nextdoor. After a while he gave up, looked up the chords/lyrics to Holy Diver, and played that, which finally got some people to come over for all of two minutes.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Hulk Krogan posted:

I saw something on the MDF Facebook at one point about how Power Plant Live had "lifted the dresscode" for MDF attendees. Is that what that was about?

Is that why we needed to go through the back? I thought it was to avoid a possible cover charge if you went through the main entrance?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

That's what I thought too, and like I said, we didn't have any problems getting into/in front of Ram's Head.

It sort of sounded like PPL staff were mistakenly turning MDF folks away at the front or something and that the MDF guys got it sorted out. The status was really vague though and I never heard anything else about it.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
The metal band I'm in just signed with Grimoire Records in Baltimore and our debut album is coming out in a couple of weeks. You can listen to the first track here: http://grimoirerecords.bandcamp.com/album/americanus

We're proggy death, sort of like Mastodon with harsher vocals.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Wyzt posted:

First night, after prefest, drunk friend sleepwalked and pee'd all over friend on floor in sleeping bag and then layed back down to sleep with no memory of it. Great start to the weekend for the birthday boy.

Is your friend Frank Mullen?
https://youtu.be/Wn_hW84M-yA?t=895

Actually that was an anecdote from a previous year.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah i tried to go through the power plant live entrance and they just sent me to the back of Rams head. However the first night they let me in to that section because I know I ended up at that restaurant there at some point.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Varg posted:

new Vehemence coming this year

God Was Created was one of the first albums that got me into more death metal type stuff, I'm looking forward to this

Yeah, new Nile too. Pretty hyped, trying to prepare for disappointment but I dig most of Nile's discography so chances are I'll like this.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hulk Krogan posted:

Normally they have a sign out with a dress code that includes no sleeveless shirts (I saw dudes explicitly directed to the side entrance because of it), I'm assuming that's what they were referring to

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

I am this baby irl

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Gonna see Deicide, Entombed A.D., Hate Eternal, Black Crown Initiate and possibly others (depending on when I can get out of work) on Sunday. What should I expect live from this mostly alright line-up? I'm going for free. I know Entombed A.D. plays mostly actual Entombed songs so I'm fairly excited even if L-G is the only dude who actually recorded them.

Deicide always delivers pretty well live, and they play everything you want them to.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Popular Human posted:

Understatement of the day!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Really digging Moonlover by Ghost Bath, never been a big fan of this style until I listened to Agalloch. Kinda like Deafheaven but less 'sparkly' I guess.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Wyzt posted:

Arcturus was hilariously bad, stood in a circle drunkenly making fun of em the entire time.
Oh I wanted to reemphasize this, good lord Arcturus was laughably bad, we were making fun of them most of the time. I can sort of get how people like them but man they are so not my thing.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So Ghost are going to release a new song soon. You guys excited?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

henpod posted:

So Ghost are going to release a new song soon. You guys excited?

Yeah

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
someone should start a pop thread so people can post about ghost somewhere

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yeah, new Nile too. Pretty hyped, trying to prepare for disappointment but I dig most of Nile's discography so chances are I'll like this.

Nowadays brutal/tech death bores me to tears but I can't help but get hyped over Nile. They know their strengths too well.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
RIP Diocletian

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

gently caress... no :(

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nowadays brutal/tech death bores me to tears...

Agreed, but then I listened to Archspire and maybe it took me a couple of times for it to click, but they're pretty good.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nowadays brutal/tech death bores me to tears but I can't help but get hyped over Nile. They know their strengths too well.

Same. Always hyped for Nile.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Popular Human posted:

The metal band I'm in just signed with Grimoire Records in Baltimore and our debut album is coming out in a couple of weeks. You can listen to the first track here: http://grimoirerecords.bandcamp.com/album/americanus

good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Same. Always hyped for Nile.

Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka is a worthy album no matter what. Doesn't really fit into the tech-death genre, though.